As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    As a P320 owner, I'm a little vexed by the new drop safety issues of it that came out from Omaha Outdoors.

Huh...whattaya know: I inadvertently chose the 'fixed' version of the P320 (according to that Omaha Outdoors article detailing the drop issues they found) without knowing there was even a possible safety issue with the gun.

I'm more than a little suspicious of a handgun that passed the undescribeably rigorous Army tests suddenly developing a drop safety problem found by one guy. But if it gets me a free trigger "upgrade" by Sig Sauer, I'm in favor of it !

Apparently, the "test" done by that one guy was a non-standard test (i.e. dropping the gun on the back-end of the slide, directly on the firing-pin spring cap). All other official tests passed...but the non-standard drop consistently failed without a lighter-weight trigger.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    It injured a police officer who dropped his gun. Which is what got people interested in doing drop tests on it.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    As best I can determine, that's untrue. A rumor about a Dallas PD officer being injured by a dropped P320 started the saga a week ago, but the rumor seems to be unfounded.

As it happens, Sig-Sauer released this yesterday: https://www.sigsauer.com/press-releases/sig-sauer-issues-voluntary-upgrade-p320-pistol/

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    As best I can determine, that's untrue. A rumor about a Dallas PD officer being injured by a dropped P320 started the saga a week ago, but the rumor seems to be unfounded.

As it happens, Sig-Sauer released this yesterday: https://www.sigsauer.com/press-releases/sig-sauer-issues-voluntary-upgrade-p320-pistol/

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/08/daniel-zimmerman/connecticut-police-officer-sues-sig-sauer-injuries-suffered-dropped-p320-discharged/

Connecticut, not Dallas.

Dallas from what I understand an armorer was reading the manual and wigged out.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    this is kind of a huge deal, too, because modern firearms are just not supposed to do that and it's listed in a lot of places as a gun safety "myth" that dropping a gun does that

• Options
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    this is kind of a huge deal, too, because modern firearms are just not supposed to do that and it's listed in a lot of places as a gun safety "myth" that dropping a gun does that

I mean, I'm thankful I wasn't really considering using my P320C as a carry gun (more of a gun to keep in my car kind of thing)...but between that video and the recent prevalence of bears in my neighborhood, I'm kinda thinking of investing in 1) an IWB holster for my VP40, and 2) a crate of hard cast .40 ammo.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

Sounds like Sig Sauer has been much less than honest about the situation, too.

• Options

Sounds like Sig Sauer has been much less than honest about the situation, too.

Well...they weren't exactly dishonest about it. I mean, the pistol did pass all official drop tests.

It just happened to fail the unofficial ones that came about by accident.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    So I'm thinking of doing some custom work on the Mosin.

It's got a clean barrel, albeit thin, and I have been playing around with getting the archangel stock for it and the timney trigger.

On one hand, it's a beautiful 1943 relic, on the other hand it's heavy as fuck and I can't put a scope on it.

Alternate idea is to get the archangel stock and a receiver and barrel from a POS mosin or parts bin and build custom.

Or just go with something in 308.

Thoughts?

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Let the Mosin be a Mosin. If you want something with the attributes of a modern rifle, get a modern rifle.

Trying to change your Mosin into something else will be more expensive per dollar spent on performance and probably still be unsatisfying.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Or go fully The End from Metal Gear Solid 3 and turn your Mosin into an utter abomination with cut down synthetic furniture and extended magazine and a folding stock and pistol grip and turned down bolt handle

Hobnail on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    So I'm thinking of doing some custom work on the Mosin.

It's got a clean barrel, albeit thin, and I have been playing around with getting the archangel stock for it and the timney trigger.

On one hand, it's a beautiful 1943 relic, on the other hand it's heavy as fuck and I can't put a scope on it.

Alternate idea is to get the archangel stock and a receiver and barrel from a POS mosin or parts bin and build custom.

Or just go with something in 308.

Thoughts?

Get a nice 308 rifle.

• Options

And earlier today (well, technically it was yesterday), they detailed the upgrades that are going to be made. Basically, they're doing the following:
    What is different about the updated assembly?
    The new design has a physically lighter trigger, sear, and striker assembly with the addition of a mechanical disconnector.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Decided to keep the mosin cherry. Also found a metric fuck ton of bolt ons that don't mess with the original furniture like an anchored scout scope mount, bolt on muzzle brake, etc.

So all I'm going to do is have it recrowned for accuracy and it'll be a distance rifle without cutting it up.

I don't know what I was thinking...

ALSO WIFE OKAYED A TACTICAL SHOTGUN!

Gonna get the HR Pardner Pump (Rem 870 knock off) for like $150 and get the ATI pistol grip and adjustable butt stock, padded forearm or magpul with the handle, and a heat shield with iron sights.

The only thing the parder doesn't have in the 18.5 inch barrel model is a removable choke, so I might go with the longer barrel so I can get a doorbuster choke.

SO FUCKING HAPPY.

I promised my wife I'd move everything to the garage in a bolted in safe and that would be my last +1 gun (meaning from now on if I want a new rifle/pistol/shotgun I have to get rid of the existing one first) and she agreed.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Decided to keep the mosin cherry. Also found a metric fuck ton of bolt ons that don't mess with the original furniture like an anchored scout scope mount, bolt on muzzle brake, etc.

So all I'm going to do is have it recrowned for accuracy and it'll be a distance rifle without cutting it up.

I don't know what I was thinking...

ALSO WIFE OKAYED A TACTICAL SHOTGUN!

Gonna get the HR Pardner Pump (Rem 870 knock off) for like $150 and get the ATI pistol grip and adjustable butt stock, padded forearm or magpul with the handle, and a heat shield with iron sights.

The only thing the parder doesn't have in the 18.5 inch barrel model is a removable choke, so I might go with the longer barrel so I can get a doorbuster choke.

SO FUCKING HAPPY.

I promised my wife I'd move everything to the garage in a bolted in safe and that would be my last +1 gun (meaning from now on if I want a new rifle/pistol/shotgun I have to get rid of the existing one first) and she agreed.

Put a vintage PU scope on the mosin, it should be machined for it!

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

And earlier today (well, technically it was yesterday), they detailed the upgrades that are going to be made. Basically, they're doing the following:
    What is different about the updated assembly?
    The new design has a physically lighter trigger, sear, and striker assembly with the addition of a mechanical disconnector.

Thanks for that. Once my P320 finally breaks loose of the Westchester County pistol permit department, my first action will be to mail it to Sig-Sauer for a trigger 'upgrade'.

• Options
    I won a Henry Big Boy .45-70 in a raffle! I need to pick it up sometime this week but I'm fired up.

I've always wanted a .45-70 sooooo this was pretty much total boner.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Dude that is fucking awesome! I just looked them up and that is a neat gun. Did you get the round or octagon barrel?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Dude that is fucking awesome! I just looked them up and that is a neat gun. Did you get the round or octagon barrel?

I honestly have no idea. The raffle ticket didn't identify the model aside from Henry Big Boy .45-70.

I'll be posting pictures once I pick it up, the gun shop is over an hour away from me and closed Sunday & Monday, so it's slightly inconvenient, but new rifle!

This was the fifth year I've done this one, and I put in for $50 worth of tickets.

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

I honestly have no idea. The raffle ticket didn't identify the model aside from Henry Big Boy .45-70.

I'll be posting pictures once I pick it up, the gun shop is over an hour away from me and closed Sunday & Monday, so it's slightly inconvenient, but new rifle!

This was the fifth year I've done this one, and I put in for $50 worth of tickets.

If it's the big boy it should be the octagon barrel.

That's awesome

• Options
    I'm so fucking torn right now between a H&R 12 Gauge pump (Rem 870 clone) or a Stoeger side by side 12 gauge

I like the customization of the pump and I like the reliability and lower amount of parts in the sxs.

Plus with the sxs I could reload blackpowder brass shells.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I'm so fucking torn right now between a H&R 12 Gauge pump (Rem 870 clone) or a Stoeger side by side 12 gauge

I like the customization of the pump and I like the reliability and lower amount of parts in the sxs.

Hot take: ou>>>>>>sxs

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

My take on it is that low quality SxS < OU < High quality SxS.

It's hard to get both barrels to hit the same thing on an side by side for some reason or another more so than on an over under. Hence it's a configuration I'd be very wary about cheaping out on. From what I've read, the Stoeger can fall into that category with quality not always being consistent. Mind you this was over a decade ago so that may not apply anymore.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

It's hard to get both barrels to hit the same thing on an side by side for some reason or another more so than on an over under. Hence it's a configuration I'd be very wary about cheaping out on. From what I've read, the Stoeger can fall into that category with quality not always being consistent. Mind you this was over a decade ago so that may not apply anymore.

See and that's what bugs me. I'm not going trap shooting. I want a 20 inch barrel, so if I go with an OU or SXS it's going to be cheaper because no one else makes them that short.

I'll do the pump. It's got too many goodies I can put on.

I tested out a Savage today and HOOOOLEEEEE SHIT it has this awkward button you have to press behind the trigger to rack the pump and it's just fucking dumb.

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017

See and that's what bugs me. I'm not going trap shooting. I want a 20 inch barrel, so if I go with an OU or SXS it's going to be cheaper because no one else makes them that short.

I tested out a Savage today and HOOOOLEEEEE SHIT it has this awkward button you have to press behind the trigger to rack the pump and it's just fucking dumb.

You mean the button that allows you to pump it when it's in battery so you don't have to fire it if there's a shell loaded?

I'm not sure in what situation you would need to comfortably and quickly reach it.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    NSDFRand wrote: »

You mean the button that allows you to pump it when it's in battery so you don't have to fire it if there's a shell loaded?

I'm not sure in what situation you would need to comfortably and quickly reach it.

This was a $250 shotgun at dicks, pump action with a pistol grip, and the only way to rack it was to push this button which was more than cumbersome.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

I'm guessing the shorter barreled OUs and SxS shotguns have a market with the cowboy action shooting crowd that the higher end makers aren't as interested in. I agree with the choice of the pump in this situation.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

This was a $250 shotgun at dicks, pump action with a pistol grip, and the only way to rack it was to push this button which was more than cumbersome.

That's because it is in battery. There's not really a situation that you will need to reach that button quickly. If you fire the shell that is loaded you can pump the action normally. The button exists so you can unload safely.

• Options
    [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    If you have a CZ scorpion and signed up to get the US trigger pack (a free exchange of the world trigger pack with the welded screw for the US one that you can replace parts on without having to drill a screw out) check your email. They have the trigger packs out now and they will have sent instructions on how to claim it.

• Options

That's because it is in battery. There's not really a situation that you will need to reach that button quickly. If you fire the shell that is loaded you can pump the action normally. The button exists so you can unload safely.

I get that. I still think it's somewhat of a design flaw if you're not down to keep a loaded shotgun in your home.

• Options

I get that. I still think it's somewhat of a design flaw if you're not down to keep a loaded shotgun in your home.

The alternative is that you take the risk of firing out of battery and blowing your hands up or moving the action out of battery under stress and not being able to fire/blowing your hands up.

• Options
    Just keep the shotgun cruiser ready if you're that concerned about it and then you can finally see if the reason you chamber a round causes anybody nearby to shit themselves

• Options
    I don't want to set the thread off topic.

I see your reasons as to why the Savage is a legit firearm, I just feel like if the magic button wasn't an issue, it would be on par (review wise) with the Mossberg (even Maverick 88) or the Remington or H&R pardner pump.

Having a way to load the gun closer to the actual pump using a tried and true design just seems like a better idea.

I also get though that the Savage is custom made to be a defense firearm, so I dunno.

• Options
    I don't want to set the thread off topic.

I see your reasons as to why the Savage is a legit firearm, I just feel like if the magic button wasn't an issue, it would be on par (review wise) with the Mossberg (even Maverick 88) or the Remington or H&R pardner pump.

Having a way to load the gun closer to the actual pump using a tried and true design just seems like a better idea.

I also get though that the Savage is custom made to be a defense firearm, so I dunno.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here.

• Options
    I am also confused

• Options
    I won a Henry Big Boy .45-70 in a raffle! I need to pick it up sometime this week but I'm fired up.

Congratulations, but also welcome to the "One dollar per round" club.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

Congratulations, but also welcome to the "One dollar per round" club.

Heh

Sabot slugs, man. *shakes head*

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    OTOH, there's something great about throwing 300 grain and 550 grain rounds out of the same gun.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.