As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch 9.0] Patch/Season 4 live! Introducing new hero: Orisa!

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I don't think Sombra needs more damage but it'd be nice if it was more consistent.

Like sometimes I'll just melt characters like Zenyatta. Other times I'll miss like every shot while he dances arounds with 10hp.

I also stand in my belief that her translocator timer is too strict.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I'd argue that Sombra is not a flanker herself (except for maybe when it's time to hit your EMP). Rather she's a team-supporting anti-flanker. Getting hacked is a death warrant for Tracer or Genji, is very tough for Reaper, as well as tanks that dive your team like Winston or D.Va. Sombra doesn't deal good damage, but on the other hand her spread means it's hard to miss, so you can add a steady stream of low-output damage against enemies of any size, supplementing burst damage from your other DPS character. And she's only going to be stronger in this role if the PTR's decrease of hacking cooldowns goes through.

Hacking healthkits doesn't accomplish much if you're in opposing closely grouped up death balls, but it can feed you your ult quickly and remove supplemental healing from the enemy team, which can be a big deal for things like fighting over a first point when the defense has lost a healer, or if fighting gets scattered or the enemy team has a lot of annoying harassing flankers, like on the 2nd point of Hollywood.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    I don't use Ana but I figured I would learn to use her.

Wow. She's bad. Her SMG is a pea shooter, and she dead before she can hump an enemy long enough to silence hack them. In this current meta I can only see her being used, hiding behind Rein's shield, hacking the other Rein's shield.

You mean Sombra. :P

I've had a Sombra start shooting me from behind, turned around while she held down the trigger, and killed her on Mercy. Then I lost the clip before I made that last Mercy clip show, goddamnit. I really think she needs to be landing headshots.
    This ain't no Chance level video/audio editing,
    This made me feel like this
    ygenpr91b4dw.png
    but I'm experimenting with some software and thought I'd delve into the old Highlights chest. These are from the Open Beta and first week of the game being released. There's >8.5 minutes of highlights packed in here, but I tried livening it up with some choice tunes. Enjoy:

What I learned:

1. There are some characters and moments that, when the beats are right, really go well with different kinds of music.

2. I need to learn some keyboard shortcuts in this software so it isn't such a hassle to clip down videos.

3. I'm going to need to record some with in-game audio during actual play because sometimes the reactions are the best part.
    1. Holy shit Battle of Evermore. I've been stopping myself from using When The Levee Breaks for months.
    2. You definitely need in-game audio - it's super-weird to me without it.
    3. The lighter orchestral stuff works beautifully with Pharah, and provides some delicious irony to Reaper.

1.png 134.5K
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I can understand Blizzard steering away from an invisible assassin character, but I think they just plain dropped the ball with Sombra. She's good at sneaking, but horrible at escape if she doesn't use her beacon within seconds of dropping it. She has a hard time killing anything at all and also has to be close up to disable anybody, which only lasts a few seconds anyway. Her passive ability could be really great, except it only works for her and she's terrible at going after those weak players herself.

There's about a million ways to make her a more significant force, without simply increasing the damage of her SMG or something. Exploding beacon when used, auto-stunning turrets when exiting invisibility, buffed damage against hacked targets, or any of hundred other things like that. Despite her abilities, she's desperately lacking in effective utility.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Yeah...Like Symmetra is probably in my top 10 of most preferable boost targets.

Pfft. You have a preference list? The way it works is you point it at the biggest tank in the middle of a melee, and then it goes to Lucio or Mercy.

Yeah. I base it on character choice and player competency. The latter being really important.

Cause goodness have I had too many Reinhardts just sit there and stare at the enemy when I boosted them.

I tend to just hold it till Soldier ults. Any Mercies blue beamed a nano'd, ulting Soldier?

No survivors.

As someone whose often the target of Ana boosts:
    1: if Dva has her ult at least tell her you plan on boosting her. There is a good chance you're throwing you ult away on a self destruct.
    2: if rein is just standing there with his shield up and the whole team behind him, don't boost him. A smart rein will keep doing what he's doing so his whole team doesn't get obliterated. A dumb Rein will panic and charge in at a bad time. You're also letting the whole enemy team know he's about to go in. Wait until he's gone in, then boost.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    The more I play Sombra, the more I think she is a better hero than people think. I feel like she is a Genji/Widow/Tracer in terms of having to put time in before she gets any good... but you have to have really good decision making instead of just mechanical skill. The problem is since she is not really getting kills, a good Sombra isn't going to carry the team. Sombra is also not great against triple tank, and really map dependent because of health kits.

That said, I don't agree with Blizzard that people just need to figure her out, she clearly needs some sort of buff. I've been playing nothing but Sombra, and I know my Quick Play MMR is lower than it should be. Personally, I think they need to nerf something about her hacking health kits, so they can buff something else. Some maps, hacking health kits is godly and others the enemy team can just ignore them..

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    I can understand Blizzard steering away from an invisible assassin character, but I think they just plain dropped the ball with Sombra. She's good at sneaking, but horrible at escape if she doesn't use her beacon within seconds of dropping it. She has a hard time killing anything at all and also has to be close up to disable anybody, which only lasts a few seconds anyway. Her passive ability could be really great, except it only works for her and she's terrible at going after those weak players herself.

There's about a million ways to make her a more significant force, without simply increasing the damage of her SMG or something. Exploding beacon when used, auto-stunning turrets when exiting invisibility, buffed damage against hacked targets, or any of hundred other things like that. Despite her abilities, she's desperately lacking in effective utility.

Honestly, Sombra giving her whole team vision on anyone 50% or below is legit all she needs to be a force to be reckoned with. Sometimes your team wont capitalize on the conditional Widow Ult. Sometimes people don't capitalize on Rein shields or Zarya ults, but that doesn't make them less powerful. Her dmg is shit, to be sure, but being a force multiplier is something the Offense category sorely lacks.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Konphujun wrote: »

Honestly, Sombra giving her whole team vision on anyone 50% or below is legit all she needs to be a force to be reckoned with. Sometimes your team wont capitalize on the conditional Widow Ult. Sometimes people don't capitalize on Rein shields or Zarya ults, but that doesn't make them less powerful. Her dmg is shit, to be sure, but being a force multiplier is something the Offense category sorely lacks.

That would make her a lot stronger in pubs, but in a group using voice chat it wouldn't change too much. I think if they are going to keep her as a distraction character, there needs to be a reason to hack half the cast (Soldier, McCree, Pharah, etc) outside some very specific situations.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    As someone who plays a lot of both Ana and Rein the rule for me is a Rein with his shield up generally doesn't want the boost. A rein already swinging is a decent target.

Also with the speed boost gone Rein shouldn't be the go to target in every situation.

Road Block on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    TheStig wrote: »
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Yeah...Like Symmetra is probably in my top 10 of most preferable boost targets.

Pfft. You have a preference list? The way it works is you point it at the biggest tank in the middle of a melee, and then it goes to Lucio or Mercy.

Yeah. I base it on character choice and player competency. The latter being really important.

Cause goodness have I had too many Reinhardts just sit there and stare at the enemy when I boosted them.

I tend to just hold it till Soldier ults. Any Mercies blue beamed a nano'd, ulting Soldier?

No survivors.

As someone whose often the target of Ana boosts:
    1: if Dva has her ult at least tell her you plan on boosting her. There is a good chance you're throwing you ult away on a self destruct.
    2: if rein is just standing there with his shield up and the whole team behind him, don't boost him. A smart rein will keep doing what he's doing so his whole team doesn't get obliterated. A dumb Rein will panic and charge in at a bad time. You're also letting the whole enemy team know he's about to go in. Wait until he's gone in, then boost.

I already don't boost Rein if we aren't in a team fight because of the speed nerf. Doesn't stop that situation from happening from time to time.

Though most Rein players usually know what to do. But you still have to get a feel for them.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    I am a she, btw.

A Chinese she, too, in case that was not clear.

Sorry, Viv, you are literally Pharah in my mind.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    How do you kill Mercy?

She seems kinda....invincible.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    How do you kill Mercy?

here is a beautiful demonstration of how to do it by latvian performance artist leet0 warning extreme cyka blyat

https://clips.twitch.tv/leet0/WanderingGooseRaccAttack

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    That it was a 76 who couldn't kill her makes it even more sweeter.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    How do you kill Mercy?

Group up with me sometime when I'm playing Mercy.

I'll take you on a guided tour of all the ways.

All of them.

• Options
    Lawndart wrote: »
    How do you kill Mercy?

Group up with me sometime when I'm playing Mercy.

I'll take you on a guided tour of all the ways.

All of them.

I'm Dakkadakka 1890 if anyone wants to Watch Over things. But I'm going out to dinner after the march tonight.

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Ok so I need advice. Early yesterday I was 70 points form gold.....and now I'm down to 1523. Every single game I have some guy going tunnel vision on something fairly bad. The last 4 games I had someone that was -PLATINUM- in my games and all he did was play Torb and Sombra. People will only go 1 tank or healer and insists that Hanzo and Mcree are going to save us. If I'm already the lone tank me switching to another tank won't change a thing. Same for healing. What in the hell am I supposed to do?

EDIT For the record I was 26/26/4. There's no way it's matchmaking swinging so hard and pushing me down to bronze.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    solo q... solo q never changes

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    How do you kill Mercy?

Assuming this is an earnest question...

There are two types of Mercies you will try to kill. One will essentially ignore you, and simply try to guardian angel to an ally to escape you, allowing her self-heal to kick in. The other will turn around and pull her pistol. Keep in mind: the one who pulls her pistol can kill you. The hardest part about the first type is finishing them off before their self-heal kicks in (activates after 1 second of not taking damage), or her team notices what you're doing. The biggest problem with the latter is that a Mercy using her pistol is doing two things. One, she's trying to kill you. Two, she's telling her team where to focus their fire if they want to get more heals. A lot of players like getting healed.

Of note: ultra-badass Mercies can combine Guardian Angel's mobility with her pistol for jaw-dropping results.

Pharah, I think, is Mercy's hardest counter. The large lateral movements that Guardian Angel provides - which will basically just screw a short-ranged DPS, or even a Genji's attempt to kill Mercy - can be observed fairly dispassionately by Pharah from above, who can just put a rocket on one side of a point and one on the opposite side with literally one second between them. She has no damage falloff with distance, and her ability to get above the fight - and move Mercy's protective tanks out of position with her concussive blast - makes her most-able to deal with a Mercy who refuses to be pinned down.

Worth noting: Mercy's pistol has no damage falloff. If she pulls her pistol on you, she's dangerous - even at long range.

Genji - if played well - can delete a Mercy pretty easily. He has a very low sound profile - his footsteps aren't heavy, and his primary and secondary fire are nearly silent. If he's flanked your team or gotten above Mercy, he can soften her up with primary fire before moving in for an alt fire-swiftstrike combo. For the record, I can't play Genji this well - but I've been wrecked (as Mercy) by more than a few Genjis who are.

Tracer can get herself into position to wreck a Mercy more easily than any other hero, and can execute her with a single clip from her pulse pistols - if her tracking is perfect. For me - unless my positioning and hers are ideal - it usually takes at least two clips. As a worst-case scenario, it's easier to stick a Mercy with a pulse bomb than you'd think. Mercy's guardian angel is effectively countered by a Tracer with two blinks at her disposal. I've found an effective tactic is simply to stick with your team during a teamfight, and spray the entire enemy line with your pistols so you can see their health bars. As soon as you see the Mercy's health bar drop to around half, or you see her duck around a corner to regen, blink in there with her and finish her off. Use rewind to return to your line if you feel like you're in trouble, or remain behind them to begin harrying. You can also give it about ten seconds, and then head towards the reds' spawn to prevent Mercy from returning to her squad. A Mercy walking alone, with no one to GA to, is pretty much dead against a Tracer of equal skill.

It is perhaps worth noting, a Bad Motherfucker Mercy can obliterate Tracer with four shots, if she's landing headshots. Mercy shoots 5 rounds per second. It would take her five headshots to kill Genji and Pharah. That being said, if both Mercy and Tracer are facing each other, point blank, and hold down the trigger on each others' heads at the same exact moment, Tracer wins by a solid half-second.

Winston can also do okay against Mercy - if the Mercy isn't very smart, and if he engages without using his jump pack. You need the jump pack to counter her inevitable GA. Remember, you do 50 damage when you land on her after a jump. If the Mercy is smart, she'll "rubber band" with a DPS or tank, putting them between you and her and creating distance so as soon as you make your jump she'll simply GA back to her buddy and begin the process again - backing off to make an escape flight when you come in, and maybe taking potshots at you with her pistol.

D.Va can also create problems for Mercy - but only if she's got no one to GA to. Otherwise, as soon as she sees you've used your boost, she'll just GA away and ignore you.

ijckdxyx3bnn.jpg

Good luck!

• Options
    I kill/scare off Genji's with my pistol all the time.

It never gets old. Then I go right back to healing like it was light work.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    @KoopahTroopah You're OP description of Bastion still lists his turret as projecting a shield, and his ultimate as being a remote mine? I think it's still listing his build from one of the early public Betas? Might want to check any other heroes that've had major rebuilds too.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    That wasn't even his ult by the time of the first beta weekend.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    If you can't hit pharah, get the fuck off S76.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    sanstodo wrote: »
    If you can't hit pharah, get the fuck off S76.

In competitive? Sure.

In quick play? Practice.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    How do you kill Mercy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHHJtzzY_Os

Part of why I like Junkrat so much is I get to focus on the healers. For Mercy you've gotta do a lot of damage at once. Otherwise she spirits away and self heals.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I like Junkrat so much because he's insane, hilarious, and fun.

I find myself meleeing nothing just to hear his "rrrrruff!" voice line.

• Options
    Einzel wrote: »
    I like Junkrat so much because he's insane, hilarious, and fun.

I find myself meleeing nothing just to hear his "rrrrruff!" voice line.

Junkrat is so good in the Oasis.

• Options
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    I didn't even know they were gonna acknowledge Lunar New Year at all so yeah I kinda wanna know if they're going to do Zodiac skins for the given year where possible. And if they do, Winston's got 11 years to wait.

@Vivixenne

Hopefully they just assign certain skins that mesh well with a character's design. Waiting years for the proper zodiac sign would be a bummer.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    KoopahTroopah You're OP description of Bastion still lists his turret as projecting a shield, and his ultimate as being a remote mine? I think it's still listing his build from one of the early public Betas? Might want to check any other heroes that've had major rebuilds too.

Good call. I'll update them soon.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I dove pretty deep into Ana for the first time recently and I was having a blast mopping up with grenades and sleep darts
    Then when I pressed Q to nano boost a Reinhardt with Earthshatter at the ready a teammate Sombra flew across my screen and stole the fucking ult and I died inside
    Like I could feel my soul exiting my body

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    You play favourites with your grandchildren? Everyone deserves a boost!

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    How do you kill Mercy?

Part of why I like Junkrat so much is I get to focus on the healers. For Mercy you've gotta do a lot of damage at once. Otherwise she spirits away and self heals.

Taking down Mercy is as easy as one hit with a frag grenade plus throwing out a mine as followup. It's not hard for Junkrat to kill her before she can react to it, much less try to escape it.

But Junkrat is pretty great as a healer-killer in general. Lucio jumping all over the place? Drop a trap on the payload or wherever, you'll snag him in a hurry; catch him all the damn time this way. Ana being a problem? She has zip for mobility, which makes her really vulnerable to just spamming grenades at her feet or getting hit in the face with a mine. Same thing with Zen, with the bonus that a Zen caught in a trap will often burn his ult early to stay alive in a push.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    How do you kill Mercy?

Taking down Mercy is as easy as one hit with a frag grenade plus throwing out a mine as followup. It's not hard for Junkrat to kill her before she can react to it, much less try to escape it.

But Junkrat is pretty great as a healer-killer in general. Lucio jumping all over the place? Drop a trap on the payload or wherever, you'll snag him in a hurry; catch him all the damn time this way. Ana being a problem? She has zip for mobility, which makes her really vulnerable to just spamming grenades at her feet or getting hit in the face with a mine. Same thing with Zen, with the bonus that a Zen caught in a trap will often burn his ult early to stay alive in a push.

On one of my first rounds on Oasis, when the map first came out, I was getting my ass kicked. I went Mercy to try and support as I learned the new map, and the closest thing I found to success in my first two games was just pocketing our Pharah, and staying high above the Junkrat who was absolutely dominating us on the point. At one point, I was laughing my ass off into the mic, telling my brother that this insane Junkrat had just shot me out of the air with a single body-shot grenade and a thrown conc mine. He threw it like twelve feet almost straight up to blast me out of the sky.

It was the first elimination in his PotG - frickin' legend.

In keeping with the recent How to Kill Mercy discussion, these are the highlights of a single match on Gibraltar (like the Widow duel and Oasis vids), so it's like zero Oh My God moments and a lot of pretty-solid Tracer work. I generally keep away from the team fights - even let myself get distracted by Widow and McCree long enough for the reds to push the payload to the first point - but for the most part I stay just on the enemies' side of the choke, tying up half their team - or at least their Mercy - while my team dominates anyone who trickles past me. Mercy is always Priority #1, right up until Attack Bastion shows up.

One of my lamest PotGs ever!

https://youtu.be/enOkM-1Dd-U

• Options
    This morning I decided that today was the day that I learn how to play Tracer and maybe even get good with her. Two matches in and this happens.
    6Jhw6Bm.jpg?1GWSbrKu.jpg?2

Also, before anyone points it out, you're damn right I voted for myself with stats like that on my 2nd game.

• Options
    This morning I decided that today was the day that I learn how to play Tracer and maybe even get good with her. Two matches in and this happens.

Also, before anyone points it out, you're damn right I voted for myself with stats like that on my 2nd game.

Feels good, don't it? ^.^

• Options

It felt amazing. She's so twitchy and fragile. It's like being on the razor's edge the whole time.

I think I'm addicted.

• Options

It felt amazing. She's so twitchy and fragile. It's like being on the razor's edge the whole time.

That is a perfect description of playing Tracer. Every ten seconds you spend alive is either a gift from the luck gods or a testament to your awesomeness. Feels amazeballs.

• Options
    Finally had a couple wins in competitive. Then had a troll show up and just keep running in to the enemy team over and over without attacking.

The fucking fuck, Blizzard?

This discussion has been closed.