As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I love [VIRTUAL REALITY], it's so bad.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Two new titles released today on Vive/Oculus ported from PSVR:

Batman: Arkham VR

I Expect You To Die

Wasn't I Expect You to Die already on Oculus? I though it was one of the Touch launch titles.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »

I Expect You To Die

Wasn't I Expect You to Die already on Oculus? I though it was one of the Touch launch titles.

I don't know if it was Steam or Oculus, but I definitely played I Expect You To Die when the Touch was released, yeah.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Yeah, I'll get it on a sale. Pretty much my rule now for anything that doesn't come out on Vive/Steam first/same time. I'm barely touching VR anyway right now since a ton of stuff has been coming out.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »

I Expect You To Die

Sorry, fumbled my words, meant to say released on Steam.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    DelinatorDelinator Registered User regular
    I also bought Statik after finishing the demolevel. It's really awesome.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    After Chronos I think I'll get back to I Expect You To Die. I greatly enjoyed the first mission but never played on after that one. Any '60s Bond fan with VR owes it to themselves to check that one out for the title sequence and song alone.

Edit: Also, I checked out The Solus Project, and while the default controls only use Touch for movement, once I'd properly activated motion controls, I liked what I saw in half an hour of playing. Has anyone here played it?

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Psychonauts has the best looking sofa cushions in VR. They're a lot like my real sofa cushions in terms of texture/fabrics, so I had this weirdly immersive moment holding one of them up to my face.

I haven't figured out what I'm supposed to do really, too busy with the immersive sofa cushions. 10/10. :lol:

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Psychonauts has the best looking sofa cushions in VR. They're a lot like my real sofa cushions in terms of texture/fabrics, so I had this weirdly immersive moment holding one of them up to my face.

I haven't figured out what I'm supposed to do really, too busy with the immersive sofa cushions. 10/10. :lol:

Hah hah!

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Developers of Panzerwehr 1949 released a new video with some combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na530jGHOtI

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    After Chronos I think I'll get back to I Expect You To Die. I greatly enjoyed the first mission but never played on after that one. Any '60s Bond fan with VR owes it to themselves to check that one out for the title sequence and song alone.

Edit: Also, I checked out The Solus Project, and while the default controls only use Touch for movement, once I'd properly activated motion controls, I liked what I saw in half an hour of playing. Has anyone here played it?

I Expect You To Die doesn't take very long to finish completely, either. Maybe an hour or two if I remember correctly? So you could probably squeeze it in sometime before you finish Chronos if you are ever wanting a break from that.

Steam profile
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I decided to give my PS VR headset a bit of a (much needed) upgrade:
    mg61cnvzdhyy.jpg
    8-)

• Options
    An MMORPG in VR? Yes, please. Age of Heroes coming out first for Vive and Rift, then to PSVR with cross platform play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnGjvw5BJrI

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Hang on a second, you can play Star Trek Bridge Crew with less than 4 players? :eek:
    Interesting :biggrin:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Hang on a second, you can play Star Trek Bridge Crew with less than 4 players? :eek:

You could always play Artemis with basically any number of players (below the max). You can have someone handle multiple stations (on the same device, like, it's built into the game). It may be the same here?

It was always the most fun to have the stations filled out though. Except maybe for Comms. Boring comms :P

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I thought Bridge Crew was next month?

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I should order some Touch'es I guess. Feels like there are finally some "VR games" coming out I want to try.

Also, anyone heard any decent rumors on the next hardware evolution we will see in VR? I assume the next major improvements will be resolution and wireless, but both Oculus and Valve have been kind of quiet. I've heard rumblings that HTC may have a new higher res headset coming, and I saw the very high end (and stupidly expensive) 4K thing that was at CES...but very little substantive rumblings about the next major consumer device revs.

e: Touch ordered.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    No rumours as yet. It's only been a year, after all.

EDIT: Related news I just saw, Oculus will not be hosting a booth at E3 this year.

https://uploadvr.com/e3-2017-oculus-will-not-have-a-booth/

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    No rumours as yet. It's only been a year, after all.

EDIT: Related news I just saw, Oculus will not be hosting a booth at E3 this year.

https://uploadvr.com/e3-2017-oculus-will-not-have-a-booth/

Friends from within the industry told me last year that E3 as an event probably only has a few years left in it, that its usefulness for developers and publishers has been questionable for a while... so I wouldn't read much into that myself.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Well they opened it up to normies this year, so I feel they're probably trying to shift its focus. GDC might be the more interesting thing for actual developers.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Yeppers. They have AI crewmembers who are only slightly worse than useless, or the player(s) can change seats at will to any unoccupied station. From what I've read, it makes the game much more difficult because one or two people are always going to be less efficient at controls than a full crew. Even a slightly incompetent player is going to be better than the AI bots.

Besides, having played Artemis solo (for testing and setup), I suspect that playing this solo will be about as much fun as a rectal exam.

26904.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Don't kinkshame

Is there a good video that shows off actual gameplay for Bridge Crew?

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    I saw that the Angry Joe Show had a 40-minute play session of Star Trek Bridge Crew, which was pretty entertaining.

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    Well they opened it up to normies this year, so I feel they're probably trying to shift its focus. GDC might be the more interesting thing for actual developers.

Yeah, but even GDC is kind of going away from being a developers conference, what with all the press there more concerned about games than about game development ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    There'll always be new better ones though.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Thanks for all of the recommendations last weekend. PSVR is pretty damn cool. It does goof the tracking on the controller a bit more than I would like, but it's still a great experience overall. Almost as much fun watching other people try it as it is playing through something myself.

• Options
    The Statik Demo is great. The level was hard but I figured it out. Will definitely pick up the full version.

• Options
    One of my most embarrassing VR deaths yet: yesterday I was playing Chronos, and there was one camera angle where my character - now in her 40s - moved towards the camera, i.e. me. Since I wanted to get a closer look at her by now somewhat wrinkled and ageworn face, I moved her closer to me, and closer, and closer... until she plummeted to her death, because the elevator platform I'd manoeuvred her onto didn't have any railings.

I'm a bit more wrinkled and ageworn now.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I should give Chronos another playthrough, I haven't played it since I marathoned it when the Rift first came out.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0eFXv6Eumg

^ Interkosmos - Be an alternate universe cosmonaut.

• Options
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    The Statik Demo is great. The level was hard but I figured it out. Will definitely pick up the full version.
    It makes me feel really dumb, but I like it enough that I'm going to get the full version anyway.
    I got stuck on the last part with the projector, because I'm an idiot it's really hard!

• Options
    Is there a good video that shows off actual gameplay for Bridge Crew?
    This is my favourite one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kti9iLh7aPQ

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    It makes me feel really dumb, but I like it enough that I'm going to get the full version anyway.
    I got stuck on the last part with the projector, because I'm an idiot it's really hard!

On the demo I momentarily got stuck on:
    Where you look at the poster for clues on what shapes to use. Before that I spent about five minutes making the shapes I thought I needed but there was no way to save the pattern to the second "slot". That's when I saw the poster and realized that was the key.

• Options
    Playing Chronos and looking for hints online, I was struck by the utter absence of any walkthroughs that aren't in video format - which made me think that since it sucks to make notes or quickly google or post a question on a forum while in VR, we may be unlikely to see all that many hints and walkthroughs of VR games in the form of text, as opposed to video walkthroughs and Let's Plays. Which sucks if you're looking for specific tips.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Playing Chronos and looking for hints online, I was struck by the utter absence of any walkthroughs that aren't in video format - which made me think that since it sucks to make notes or quickly google or post a question on a forum while in VR, we may be unlikely to see all that many hints and walkthroughs of VR games in the form of text, as opposed to video walkthroughs and Let's Plays. Which sucks if you're looking for specific tips.

Video walkthroughs dominate all games now. Everyone wants that sweet YouTube ad revenue.

• Options
    Man, I hope that bubble will burst before long... (I don't mind video walkthroughs being a thing, but I do mind them being the *only* thing, more or less.)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    ... Since I wanted to get a closer look at her by now somewhat wrinkled and ageworn face, I moved her closer to me, and closer, and closer...

What were you REALLY trying to get a close look at?

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    One of my most embarrassing VR deaths yet: yesterday I was playing Chronos, and there was one camera angle where my character - now in her 40s - moved towards the camera, i.e. me. Since I wanted to get a closer look at her by now somewhat wrinkled and ageworn face, I moved her closer to me, and closer, and closer... until she plummeted to her death, because the elevator platform I'd manoeuvred her onto didn't have any railings.

I'm a bit more wrinkled and ageworn now.

I had at least two deaths that I remember from walking off of precipices that weren't particularly apparent, and I kind of lost interest and quit playing after the second one. I feel like the designers were purposely trying to trick players in a game that doesn't really benefit from falling deaths in the first place.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Had to flip back a few pages to check but looks like we didn't get up to discussing this. HTC vive plug and play eye tracking

https://venturebeat.com/2017/04/30/htc-vive-will-get-a-220-plug-and-play-eye-tracking-aglass-device-in-may/
    https://uploadvr.com/7invensun-eye-tracker-for-vive/

$220 bucks which might be a bit much but they snap into your vive and you get eye tracking which then BAM Foveated rendering which will jump your FPS and up the immersion levels in VR.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    And now that I've tried it, watching a 3D movie with PSVR is far more appealing than I expected. I thought wearing a headset to watch a movie would be a total non-starter, but the 3D quality is great, the picture quality is good enough, and having the sound coming through headphones adds enough to the overall immersiveness that I would do it from time to time for movies that look good in 3D.

This discussion has been closed.