Options

[The Trump Administration] The Last 100 Days

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Fuck, I'd pick a Google kleptocracy over Trumpist fascism. Google would give me stuff for free and would be less racist about too.

"For free," ha.
    Expect to be required to wear Glass and to have virtual ads projected over 90% of your field of vision, for your entire waking life.
    :rotate:

I'd pick that over torture and death in an American neo-Nazi concentration camp, sure.

well, if those are my options

edit: nm

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Man this thing still feels surreal. Like I'm honestly s bit shocked at how easily the republicans have given themselves to Trump.

Everything feels like it's moving so quick and something is going to give. Either the administration is going to flame out or tighten their stranglehold on our democracy and if that happens I see legit upheaval and actual, not just feel good slogany, resistance.

I could be wrong but this just doesn't feel like a status quo we can hold onto for very long. Everything seems ready to blow.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Gork wrote: »
    I might have missed some things today, but here’s a roundup of this administration though it’s (actual days-3) Day:
    • On his first day in office, made a speech falsely inflating the size of the crowd at his inauguration, in which he hired a crowd to cheer, and directed his press secretary to chastise the press to accept this falsehood.
    • Continues to retain ownership of his multinational business ventures, likely in violation of the Emoluments Clause of the Constitution.
    • Signed an executive order banning funding for safe abortions across the world.
    • After running a campaign on job growth, signed an executive order to freeze federal hiring and salaries.
    • Banned federal agencies from communicating with the public. Froze contracts and grants from the EPA.
    • On the day that 200,000 liters of oil spilled from a pipeline in Canada, signed executive orders to OK the Keystone XL pipeline and Dakota Access pipeline, that would travel through tribal lands.
    • Began an investigation into nonexistent widespread voter fraud, thus challenging the legitimacy of the election that brought this administration to power.
    • After running a campaign on reducing taxes and shrinking government, signed an executive order to construct a massive 2,000 mile "impassable physical barrier" along the southern border and hire 10,000 immigration officials to hunt down illegal immigrants in the United States to be paid for by an import tax. Any city found harboring illegal immigrants would have their federal funding stripped.
    • The Chief of Border Security and all senior staff of the State Department resign. President of Mexico cancels a planned visit.
    • Knowing the security risk and compliance issues it can cause, senior staff continue to use their private email accounts for official business.

See my post about effectively shutting down FERC until he nominates new Commissioners.

Do you have a news report?

centraldogma on
    When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Fuck, I'd pick a Google kleptocracy over Trumpist fascism. Google would give me stuff for free and would be less racist about too.

"For free," ha.
    Expect to be required to wear Glass and to have virtual ads projected over 90% of your field of vision, for your entire waking life.

I'd pick that over torture and death in an American neo-Nazi concentration camp, sure.

I'll have the chicken then, please.

I also don't how media outlets can be threatened with lack of 'access' to Trump. He hardly has a bowel movement he doesn't share on Twitter, and nothing will come out of official channels but straight up falsehoods and crushing insecurity anyway.

• Options
    JihadJesus wrote: »

"For free," ha.

I also don't how media outlets can be threatened with lack of 'access' to Trump. He hardly has a bowel movement he doesn't share on Twitter, and nothing will come out of official channels but straight up falsehoods and crushing insecurity anyway.

best
    most regular
    bigly

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    JihadJesus wrote: »

"For free," ha.

The White House Press Corp have been denied access to Trump since he was elected back in November. Every other modern President has been followed by a team of reporters since the votes were counted. Trump has straight up ignored this, because having reporters around all the time irritates him.

The White House Press Corp have kicked up a pretty big fuss about this because their main job is reassuring the public that the president is alive and safe in the event of any attack on US soil.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    The press being denied access, as well as the public via indirect communications (my guess is that the presidential letter service will be shut down too), is very chilling.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    If they're denied access, maybe they'll actually do some fucking investigation.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Man this thing still feels surreal. Like I'm honestly s bit shocked at how easily the republicans have given themselves to Trump.

Everything feels like it's moving so quick and something is going to give. Either the administration is going to flame out or tighten their stranglehold on our democracy and if that happens I see legit upheaval and actual, not just feel good slogany, resistance.

I could be wrong but this just doesn't feel like a status quo we can hold onto for very long. Everything seems ready to blow.
    As someone framed it in the last thread: End of an empire.
    pxtdxiaexouv96opwnw4.jpg

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I knew Trump would be terrible, but every time he exceeds my expectations when they're already at their lowest. And this is the first week.

edit: What's amusing about Trump is that he wants Obama's success and popularity, yet he has no understanding of why Obama got that. Instead he seems to have been imitating and exaggerating W.'s legacy. It's like there's a block in his brain that refuses to acknowledge this, this is why self awareness is a good thing.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Nice fucking face motherfucker

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    Gork wrote: »
    I might have missed some things today, but here’s a roundup of this administration though it’s (actual days-3) Day:
    • On his first day in office, made a speech falsely inflating the size of the crowd at his inauguration, in which he hired a crowd to cheer, and directed his press secretary to chastise the press to accept this falsehood.
    • Continues to retain ownership of his multinational business ventures, likely in violation of the Emoluments Clause of the Constitution.
    • Signed an executive order banning funding for safe abortions across the world.
    • After running a campaign on job growth, signed an executive order to freeze federal hiring and salaries.
    • Banned federal agencies from communicating with the public. Froze contracts and grants from the EPA.
    • On the day that 200,000 liters of oil spilled from a pipeline in Canada, signed executive orders to OK the Keystone XL pipeline and Dakota Access pipeline, that would travel through tribal lands.
    • Began an investigation into nonexistent widespread voter fraud, thus challenging the legitimacy of the election that brought this administration to power.
    • After running a campaign on reducing taxes and shrinking government, signed an executive order to construct a massive 2,000 mile "impassable physical barrier" along the southern border and hire 10,000 immigration officials to hunt down illegal immigrants in the United States to be paid for by an import tax. Any city found harboring illegal immigrants would have their federal funding stripped.
    • The Chief of Border Security and all senior staff of the State Department resign. President of Mexico cancels a planned visit.
    • Knowing the security risk and compliance issues it can cause, senior staff continue to use their private email accounts for official business.

See my post about effectively shutting down FERC until he nominates new Commissioners.

Do you have a news report?

http://www.platts.com/latest-news/natural-gas/washington/former-chairman-norman-bay-to-resign-from-us-21720960

We know he was planning on staying to maintain a quorum.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Denis Nixon, one of Trump's top fundraisers in Texas, has finally clicked that the whole "take him seriously but not literally" thing was a terrible idea and has gone on camera to speak out against the border wall.

...about a year too late.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »

These things have all been on their wishlist for a long time. It's literally the heritage foundation wishlist.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    H.R.621 - To direct the Secretary of the Interior to sell certain Federal lands in Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, and Wyoming, previously identified as suitable for disposal, and for other purposes.

back right after Trump elected one of my first reactions was "man if I had some vacation time and money saved up I'd go on a country wide tour of national parks immediately before they get turned into quarries/real estate"

I thought I'd have more time.
    Those definitely aren't national parks, at least for now. The government owns a lot of land
    600px-Map_of_all_U.S._Federal_Land.jpg

It's parks and government owned mines, which will be sold off to private owners. They're not selling off the military bases.

"The Government needs to sell off its parks and mines to private businesses because they TOTALLY pay taxes to the states the parks are in and we'll TOTALLY spend that money on education!" has been a right wing rallying cry for a while now. I've seen it a lot since the whole Malfeur siege situation blew up. It's the GOP equivalent of "£350million a week for the NHS!" written on the side of a bus.
    What I mean is that the actual National Parks are relatively small. The text of the bill isn't available, but I'm fairly certain that the places you would want to visit aren't going just yet.

Yeah but the relatively small National Parks are more or less the only parts of that land that the federal government (and now Trump) aren't directly benefiting from. They're also the areas of land Obama spent his last weeks in office pulling out every stop to try and protect.

FTFY :)

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I should quit my job and go hiking for the next year and document the parks.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I'd recommend clicking on the link, there's a bunch of other interesting poll numbers in that chain. Like
    -And finally only 18% of voters think it's acceptable to punch a Nazi in the face, to 51% who say it's unacceptable and 31% who are unsure on the moral quandary of our times.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Jazz wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    H.R.621 - To direct the Secretary of the Interior to sell certain Federal lands in Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, and Wyoming, previously identified as suitable for disposal, and for other purposes.

back right after Trump elected one of my first reactions was "man if I had some vacation time and money saved up I'd go on a country wide tour of national parks immediately before they get turned into quarries/real estate"

I thought I'd have more time.
    Those definitely aren't national parks, at least for now. The government owns a lot of land
    600px-Map_of_all_U.S._Federal_Land.jpg

It's parks and government owned mines, which will be sold off to private owners. They're not selling off the military bases.

"The Government needs to sell off its parks and mines to private businesses because they TOTALLY pay taxes to the states the parks are in and we'll TOTALLY spend that money on education!" has been a right wing rallying cry for a while now. I've seen it a lot since the whole Malfeur siege situation blew up. It's the GOP equivalent of "£350million a week for the NHS!" written on the side of a bus.
    What I mean is that the actual National Parks are relatively small. The text of the bill isn't available, but I'm fairly certain that the places you would want to visit aren't going just yet.

Yeah but the relatively small National Parks are more or less the only parts of that land that the federal government (and now Trump) aren't directly benefiting from. They're also the areas of land Obama spent his last weeks in office pulling out every stop to try and protect.

FTFY :)

Wait, what? The hell did I type?

*edit* OH MY GOD! :bigfrown:

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    The UK's reaction to Trump via Charlie Booker*'s Wipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afkekwFwFuQ

* of Black Mirror fame

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    If they're denied access, maybe they'll actually do some fucking investigation.

It was odd how Canadian journalists gradually started doing something other than just repeating government news releases starting around the time Harper started insisting on scripted press conferences and claiming that truth was limited to claims which aligned with the PMO's stances.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Clicking on a few of those Trump regrets, and the first three have gone from 'Trump, I guess I'll vote for him' to 'JOIN THE RESISTANCE AND TAKE DOWN EVIL'.

And it's like, great, but WHY DID YOU NOT LISTEN WHEN WE TOLD YOU THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    Clicking on a few of those Trump regrets, and the first three have gone from 'Trump, I guess I'll vote for him' to 'JOIN THE RESISTANCE AND TAKE DOWN EVIL'.

And it's like, great, but WHY DID YOU NOT LISTEN WHEN WE TOLD YOU THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN.

Because liberals are Cassandra. We predict the future and no one listens until it's too late.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Because liberals are Cassandra. We predict the future and no one listens until it's too late.

"Trump and the GOP will do exactly what they've been saying they would do for years now. Just like back during the Bush years."

"What? That's crazy talk! They'd never do that."

/they do that

"OMG, what the hell? How could they do this? How could I have known??!?!"

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular

cuz political correctness nyaah

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

Yeah, kind of don't get that. I mean, so far, Trump IS doing the things that he said that he would do and were written on his campaign website. Like, the whole "I'm going to start a trade war and confiscate remittances to pay for The Wall" was there in front of everybody. So don't see the big surprise about it.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Hoz wrote: »

cuz political correctness nyaah

BUT BOTH SIDES ARE THE SAME

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    TryCatcher wrote: »

Yeah, kind of don't get that. I mean, so far, Trump IS doing the things that he said that he would do and were written on his campaign website. Like, the whole "I'm going to start a trade war and confiscate remittances to pay for The Wall" was there in front of everybody. So don't see the big surprise about it.

Because they took him seriously, not literally.

And we said 'no, take him literally'.

Turns out they should've taken him literally. Except for vague stuff like 'drain the swamp', because that ended up being bullshit.

Basically,

http://68.media.tumblr.com/3311ac01eb46d60174ec99d540286be7/tumblr_inline_od3ph59eRu1r6lc3v_500.gif

Mod edit: please watch your image sizes

ElJeffe on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    So a reporter from DailyDot got in touch with a Trump campaign PR Staffer in an attempt to get in touch with the White House Communications, and this is the response she got.

Transparency!

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    The UK's reaction to Trump via Charlie Booker*'s Wipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afkekwFwFuQ

* of Black Mirror fame

dat horror song at the end

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

There are now at least 14 "rogue" science accounts on Twitter, including a rogue NASA account.

There is also a rogue account claiming to be run by White House staff.

We live in interesting times.

Be careful - odds are good that at least some are fake and will purposely spread misinformation.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

“Are you to pay for what you have
    With all you are?”—No other word
    We caught, but with a laughing crowd
    Moved on. None heeded, and few heard.

(plus ca fuckin' change..)

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    There's a shocking number of conservative voters that will vote for a wholly unqualified and/or dangerous candidate with the mindset, "Oh, come on, they won't really do those things." My mom said just such a thing about Paul Ryan as VP; "Oh, honey, he wouldn't really roll back abortion rights! That's just campaign talk!"

There shouldn't be a single retweet of that Trump_Regrets Twitter feed. He's living up to his promise in every way.

• Options
    Praetorian MagePraetorian Mage Registered User regular
    Crossposted from [chat].

n4nntb946a7j.jpg
    Should say "entire world". The damage won't be limited to the US.

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »

There are now at least 14 "rogue" science accounts on Twitter, including a rogue NASA account.

There is also a rogue account claiming to be run by White House staff.

We live in interesting times.

Be careful - odds are good that at least some are fake and will purposely spread misinformation.

Well that's the useful thing about a resistance movement that's mostly based on releasing scientific facts to the public. It makes the tweets incredibly easy to verify.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Obligatory:

CqWGRMWXEAEDhiT.jpg

(seriously, we should put this in the OP for the next X years)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Atomika wrote: »
    - Former Mexican President Vicente Fox tells trump, "We're not paying for the fucking wall!" Trump says, "Yes, you are!" Current President Nieto says, "Fuck this, I'm out," and cancels meeting with Trump. Trump says the cancellation was a mutual decision. Trump says many things.
    -President of Mexico cancels a planned visit.
    Pineto's cancellation has nothing to do with our State Department or foreign policy and everything to do with Mexican domestic politics.

Some background-
    1. Fox and Nieto are from the two competing political parties, PAN and PRI respectively. Fox took office in 2000 and Nieto took office in 2012. The PRI was in power for 71 straight years and both (left-leaning) parties hate each other.
    2. Mexican politics is corrupt AF, with both parties using dirty tactics (like handing out gift cards to voters at polls). Example:
    Think Rupert Murdoch is bad? The Azcárraga family votes PRI and they run Televisa, the largest media company in Latin America. Televisa makes talk shows, news, soap operas, books, newspapers, movies, music (they have their own record label), soccer teams (they own two stadiums), they're an ISP and they own a casino too. In short, they (and their competitor Azteca) make or break Mexican politicians. A lot of people think Nieto won because he had a bunch of celebrity guest appearances on the hottest soap operas and talk shows (I'm not kidding this happened).

The opposition, by contrast, is enormously fond of doing things like busing in thousands of peasants (at like 20 bucks a pop) for astroturfed protests.

3. Nieto ran on a campaign of breaking up monopolies- he's gone after Carlos Slim's telecoms business and the state-run oil company Pemex, as well as the Mexican educator's union (which has morphed into this horrific guild system where being a teacher is passed down from parent to child and qualifications are nonexistent).

4. Public perception about Nieto is that he's not all that smart, thanks to a semi-scandal about plagarizing his law school thesis

So he's sort of like the Mexican Donald Trump- elected in part due to being a celebrity, big plans that challenge entrenched interests, and perception that he's a doofus. They've met before and hit it off, but unfortunately for him the Mexican public (while kind of fine with border walls; they're building one on their southern border to stop illegals from Central America) really doesn't like being insulted. Nieto's approval ratings dropped like a rock after a previous Trump meeting and what was supposed to be a proud moment for Nieto as the first Latin American leader to visit Trump officially had to be cancelled after Trump announced the border wall construction.

This article, btw, is full of ginned-up "scandals", hyperbolic nonsense, and outright lies. The guy writing it is a senior member of the aforementioned educator's union, which also has a pay scale on the model of a pyramid scheme.

p.s. I missed it yesterday but to be clear I am in favor of immigration but not illegal immigration. People wait years and spend a great deal of money trying to get in here legally, and to condone and help those who've cut in line is disgusting. The only beneficiaries of illegal immigration are corporations looking to drive labor costs down.

Captain Marcus on
This discussion has been closed.