Options

[The Trump Administration] The Last 100 Days

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    I apologize for this, but I thought some levity might be a good thing to share.

(If Twitter chaff doesn't belong here, I will redact post-haste)

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Gork wrote: »
    This isn't getting any attention because we usually fly under the radar, but Trump effectively shut down FERC today. We're the bipartisan, revenue positive agency that regulates electricity transmission. He forced our Chairman to resign (he was planning to stay on to continue operations). We are now stuck with two Comissioners until he appoints a new one. We cannot put out anything without at least three to vote.

Oh FFS, not you guys too

It's got 'regulatory' in the name. One way or another, the Brute Squad was inevitable.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    This isn't getting any attention because we usually fly under the radar, but Trump effectively shut down FERC today. We're the bipartisan, revenue positive agency that regulates electricity transmission. He forced our Chairman to resign (he was planning to stay on to continue operations). We are now stuck with two Comissioners until he appoints a new one. We cannot put out anything without at least three to vote.

Oh FFS, not you guys too

It's got 'regulatory' in the name. One way or another, the Brute Squad was inevitable.

Well functioning government is anthema to the GOP unless it lets them hurt people.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Meanwhile, Teen Vogue, or as I like to call them "The Voice of the Resistance" have reacted to the White House closing their telephone comment/complaint line.

By publishing a list of phone numbers for Trump's businesses that you can call instead.

but Desktop, how would he get those messages? isn't the President supposed to be isolated from all prior business holding/dealings? :P

That is indeed true! But in THIS case he wisely turned over his businesses to his kids, who I'm sure will be able to pass messages on to him.

There's no way there could be anything untoward or underhand about them being able to do that, after all.

He actually didn't do that. He still controls his businesses.

Oh that's riiiiiight, he said he was going to but never actually got around to do it.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

So wait do the pipelines need to get re approved by you guys at all.

Because if Trump fucked the pipelines in yet another way I'm going to laugh

Sleep on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    H.R.621 - To direct the Secretary of the Interior to sell certain Federal lands in Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, and Wyoming, previously identified as suitable for disposal, and for other purposes.

back right after Trump elected one of my first reactions was "man if I had some vacation time and money saved up I'd go on a country wide tour of national parks immediately before they get turned into quarries/real estate"

I thought I'd have more time.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Trump's notorious Android phone is "probably" a 2012 Samsung Galaxy S3, and a major security risk.
    ...the president’s love for security doesn’t seem to extend to his smartphone, revealed in the same interview to be an “old, unsecured Android phone”, which he carries around the White House “to the protests of some of his aides”. This contradicts previous reports suggesting Trump traded his handset for a “secure, encrypted device approved by the Secret Service”.

Android Central analyzed images of Trump using his phone and suggested he probably owns a Samsung Galaxy S3, first released in 2012 – a phone so old that it would no longer receive any new security updates or major software releases.

If Trump is still using this device, it represents a major security threat.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Olbermann giving tips on how to stop feeding the Trump Troll

https://youtu.be/Jxd61lQJyPU

• Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

So wait do the pipelines need to get re approved by you guys at all.

Because if Trump fucked the pipelines in yet another way I'm going to laugh

Probably not. I don't work in pipelines, but I think DAPL and Keystone already had their permits from us. Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Betcha Trump's phone was already hacked months if not years ago by Russians.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Jazz wrote: »
    Trump's notorious Android phone is "probably" a 2012 Samsung Galaxy S3, and a major security risk.
    ...the president’s love for security doesn’t seem to extend to his smartphone, revealed in the same interview to be an “old, unsecured Android phone”, which he carries around the White House “to the protests of some of his aides”. This contradicts previous reports suggesting Trump traded his handset for a “secure, encrypted device approved by the Secret Service”.

Android Central analyzed images of Trump using his phone and suggested he probably owns a Samsung Galaxy S3, first released in 2012 – a phone so old that it would no longer receive any new security updates or major software releases.

Its not a security threat. I mean, who is going to hack the phone? Russia? Trump probably game them the password anyway

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    H.R.621 - To direct the Secretary of the Interior to sell certain Federal lands in Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, and Wyoming, previously identified as suitable for disposal, and for other purposes.

back right after Trump elected one of my first reactions was "man if I had some vacation time and money saved up I'd go on a country wide tour of national parks immediately before they get turned into quarries/real estate"

Those definitely aren't national parks, at least for now. The government owns a lot of land
    600px-Map_of_all_U.S._Federal_Land.jpg

Coinage on
  • Options

Its not a security threat. I mean, who is going to hack the phone? Russia?

China

Anonymous

Anyone who would benefit / want to see what happens if Trump tweeted that he was declaring war on another country. Remember that time Reuters' Twitter account was hacked and they released a breaking news story about a massive bomb attack on the White House saying Obama was severely wounded and in the couple of minutes it was up there the stock market dropped like a freaking stone?

That. Times a thousand because the man currently in charge of the US is so chronically unstable if he tweeted he was going to war most people are going to believe it's 100% real. Including America's enemies.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Coinage wrote: »

Those definitely aren't national parks, at least for now. The government owns a lot of land

It's parks and government owned mines, which will be sold off to private owners. They're not selling off the military bases.

"The Government needs to sell off its parks and mines to private businesses because they TOTALLY pay taxes to the states the parks are in and we'll TOTALLY spend that money on education!" has been a right wing rallying cry for a while now. I've seen it a lot since the whole Malfeur siege situation blew up. It's the GOP equivalent of "£350million a week for the NHS!" written on the side of a bus.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

China

Anonymous

Anyone who would benefit / want to see what happens if Trump tweeted that he was declaring war on another country. Remember that time Reuters' Twitter account was hacked and they released a breaking news story about a massive bomb attack on the White House saying Obama was severely wounded and in the couple of minutes it was up there the stock market dropped like a freaking stone?

That. Times a thousand because the man currently in charge of the US is so chronically unstable if he tweeted he was going to war most people are going to believe it's 100% real. Including America's enemies.

Twas a joke.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    "Money set aside for education" is just a way of saying "we'll set this money aside and spend it on something else in a couple years, after educators have changed their budgets to reflect what has been promised."

• Options

China

Anonymous

Twas a joke.

Oh, my bad. I've seen people using that as an actual argument. I think this administration is crippling my ability to notice satire.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    A thing someone at work proposed today:

"Do you think maybe google and all those big companies could team up and govern instead?"

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

It's parks and government owned mines, which will be sold off to private owners. They're not selling off the military bases.

"The Government needs to sell off its parks and mines to private businesses because they TOTALLY pay taxes to the states the parks are in and we'll TOTALLY spend that money on education!" has been a right wing rallying cry for a while now. I've seen it a lot since the whole Malfeur siege situation blew up. It's the GOP equivalent of "£350million a week for the NHS!" written on the side of a bus.
    What I mean is that the actual National Parks are relatively small. The text of the bill isn't available, but I'm fairly certain that the places you would want to visit aren't going just yet.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

"Do you think maybe google and all those big companies could team up and govern instead?"

Cyberpunk 2020, here we come.

I, for one, welcome our Disney overlords.

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular

And that's the prequel to blade runner.

• Options

You mayyyyy notice that just about the only thing thriving in your crazy new world is the DOW. For the most part, "those big companies" are getting exactly what they want - people who are not them paying taxes and a massive drop in all those pesky, expensive regulations that mean they have to fork out more to keep their employees safe at work and above the breadline.

You've sidestepped from Democracy to Autocracy/Plutarchy combo. Modern Russia is another example of this system.

• Options
    Fuck, I'd pick a Google kleptocracy over Trumpist fascism. Google would give me stuff for free and would be less racist about too.

• Options
    centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I might have missed some things today, but here’s a roundup of this administration though it’s (actual days-3) Day:
    • On his first day in office, made a speech falsely inflating the size of the crowd at his inauguration, in which he hired a crowd to cheer, and directed his press secretary to chastise the press to accept this falsehood.
    • Continues to retain ownership of his multinational business ventures, likely in violation of the Emoluments Clause of the Constitution.
    • Signed an executive order banning funding for safe abortions across the world.
    • After running a campaign on job growth, signed an executive order to freeze federal hiring and salaries.
    • Banned federal agencies from communicating with the public. Froze contracts and grants from the EPA.
    • On the day that 200,000 liters of oil spilled from a pipeline in Canada, signed executive orders to OK the Keystone XL pipeline and Dakota Access pipeline, that would travel through tribal lands.
    • Began an investigation into nonexistent widespread voter fraud, thus challenging the legitimacy of the election that brought this administration to power.
    • After running a campaign on reducing taxes and shrinking government, signed an executive order to construct a massive 2,000 mile "impassable physical barrier" along the southern border and hire 10,000 immigration officials to hunt down illegal immigrants in the United States to be paid for by an import tax. Any city found harboring illegal immigrants would have their federal funding stripped.
    • The Chief of Border Security, a Federal Energy Regulatory Commission commissioner, and all senior staff of the State Department resign. President of Mexico cancels a planned visit.
    • Knowing the security risk and compliance issues it can cause, senior staff continue to use their private email accounts for official business.

centraldogma on
    When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Fuck, I'd pick a Google kleptocracy over Trumpist fascism. Google would give me stuff for free and would be less racist about too.

"For free," ha.
    Expect to be required to wear Glass and to have virtual ads projected over 90% of your field of vision, for your entire waking life.
    :rotate:

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular

Its not a security threat. I mean, who is going to hack the phone? Russia? Trump probably game them the password anyway

The DNC and every major media outlet, if they aren't completely incompetent.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Elki wrote: »
    People like Zuckerberg and Musk won't save us.

Silicon Valley is reskin of Wall Street, with slightly different goals. Asshole billionaires with hoodies share more political priorities with other billionaires than anyone else.

well they're on the right side of a lot of social policy at least

They're on the side of: once activists have fought the hard fight for decades and prevailed, they'll jump on board once it's safe to do so and it absolutely does not harm to their money making operations or image. It's definitely better than active opposition, I'll admit that.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options

Yes but Google is the only Google. There are a handful of other companies that might be on the same page as Google, but the rest are Wall-Mart or energy companies or medical insurance companies or a whole bunch of others who take in the cash when concepts like minimum wage or universal healthcare are tossed out the window.

• Options

"For free," ha.
    Expect to be required to wear Glass and to have virtual ads projected over 90% of your field of vision, for your entire waking life.

I'd pick that over torture and death in an American neo-Nazi concentration camp, sure.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

You mayyyyy notice that just about the only thing thriving in your crazy new world is the DOW. For the most part, "those big companies" are getting exactly what they want - people who are not them paying taxes and a massive drop in all those pesky, expensive regulations that mean they have to fork out more to keep their employees safe at work and above the breadline.

You've sidestepped from Democracy to Autocracy/Plutarchy combo. Modern Russia is another example of this system.

It's theft. In one fell swoop we have opened the floodgates for plunder and theft. Anyone with a hand in your pocket isn't going to withdraw it now.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    I might have missed some things today, but here’s a roundup of this administration though it’s (actual days-3) Day:
    • On his first day in office, made a speech falsely inflating the size of the crowd at his inauguration, in which he hired a crowd to cheer, and directed his press secretary to chastise the press to accept this falsehood.
    • Continues to retain ownership of his multinational business ventures, likely in violation of the Emoluments Clause of the Constitution.
    • Signed an executive order banning funding for safe abortions across the world.
    • After running a campaign on job growth, signed an executive order to freeze federal hiring and salaries.
    • Banned federal agencies from communicating with the public. Froze contracts and grants from the EPA.
    • On the day that 200,000 liters of oil spilled from a pipeline in Canada, signed executive orders to OK the Keystone XL pipeline and Dakota Access pipeline, that would travel through tribal lands.
    • Began an investigation into nonexistent widespread voter fraud, thus challenging the legitimacy of the election that brought this administration to power.
    • After running a campaign on reducing taxes and shrinking government, signed an executive order to construct a massive 2,000 mile "impassable physical barrier" along the southern border and hire 10,000 immigration officials to hunt down illegal immigrants in the United States to be paid for by an import tax. Any city found harboring illegal immigrants would have their federal funding stripped.
    • The Chief of Border Security and all senior staff of the State Department resign. President of Mexico cancels a planned visit.
    • Knowing the security risk and compliance issues it can cause, senior staff continue to use their private email accounts for official business.

See my post about effectively shutting down FERC until he nominates new Commissioners.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Henceforth known as the Bundy Bill.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

"For free," ha.

I'd pick that over torture and death in an American neo-Nazi concentration camp, sure.

For real, wearing some shit on my face all the time beats my current self-forecasted future, ie being fucking dead from a war or some hideous disease or not eating enough food etc.

• Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »

It's theft. In one fell swoop we have opened the floodgates for plunder and theft. Anyone with a hand in your pocket isn't going to withdraw it now.

And as a reminder, the DJIA is not an indication of US economic health. It's an indication of US investment health.

• Options
    edited January 2017

What I mean is that the actual National Parks are relatively small. The text of the bill isn't available, but I'm fairly certain that the places you would want to visit aren't going just yet.

Yeah but the relatively small National Parks are more or less the only parts of that land that the federal government (and now Trump) aren't directly benefiting from. They're also the areas of land Obama spent his last weeks in office pulling out every stop to try and protect.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    People like Zuckerberg and Musk won't save us.

Silicon Valley is reskin of Wall Street, with slightly different goals. Asshole billionaires with hoodies share more political priorities with other billionaires than anyone else.

well they're on the right side of a lot of social policy at least

They're on the side of: once activists have fought the hard fight for decades and prevailed, they'll jump on board once it's safe to do so and it absolutely does not harm to their money making operations or image. It's definitely better than active opposition, I'll admit that.

yeah but

compared to trump

• Options
    So a reporter from DailyDot got in touch with a Trump campaign PR Staffer in an attempt to get in touch with the White House Communications, and this is the response she got.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    So a reporter from DailyDot got in touch with a Trump campaign PR Staffer in an attempt to get in touch with the White House Communications, and this is the response she got.

Wait, when did they hire Dave Brandon? I missed that one.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

The king has no inclination for answering to the peasants.

This discussion has been closed.