As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LIVE. WORK. REPEAT.

• Options
    bezerk bobbezerk bob Registered User regular
    Based on a whole parcel of drama i saw in my old department I also make a point of not hanging out with co-workers. Facebook is something of a non issue as i haven't used it in years. In other news we are understaffed and losing at least two more people. So it looks like another month or two of staying back at least an hour every day, joy. I have a sneaking suspicion that the companies extremely tolerant attitude to absenteeism will will result in bulk sickies and even later finishes.

You can only drink 30 or 40 glasses of beer a day, no matter how rich you are. -- Colonel Adolphus Busch
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Boss took a sick day. There was a sample due today that has some issues. She didn't deal with the issues last week. I sent an email this morning asking the project manager if the issues had been dealt with, specifically asking if my boss had dealt with them. I am so looking forward to the offer letter from my new job so I can officially give notice.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    It begins. One colleague down. Three to go.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    That sounds a tiny bit like you just assassinated someone.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

No, no. They're just tending to the trees in a much more personal manner now.

If you'd like to know more, I'll just show you to the new plot out back... freshly dug as well!

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Man like 6 months ago I took a huge risk, left a job I liked, to be in on the ground floor of a new place and get a pretty substantial raise.

Turns out this new place is horribly managed (I got an e-mail from my manager last week asking "What is it you do here? Do you need new business cards to reflect that?", and this place thrives on the "you should be working all the time because you're not weak are you?" mentality.

I've been stuck in an endless loop with freelance folks asking if they need me for work, and saying I'll put in my notice once they have hours for me. They keep replying "We're not considering you for hours until we know you're free." Which is totally fair. So it's time to bite the bullet.

3PM I'm quitting, going back to freelance, and terrified. I get paid so well but this job is so. fucking. awful.

I quit a job I LOVED because this was more money and they promised a SHIT TON of stuff they never delivered on. I feel like this is the only way to hit the reset button and try to get my old job back.

Why is quitting - even when you hate it - the most nerve wracking thing EVER.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    It begins. One colleague down. Three to go.
    5727382_gal.jpg

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Heading in to talk to HR today. Wish me luck!

• Options
    Randy ButternubbsRandy Butternubbs Registered User regular
    Interview at 11 for a purchasing coordinator temp-hire position.

rie9dwgriee1.jpg

NO WHAMMIES NO WHAMMIES

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Heading in to talk to HR today. Wish me luck!

Good luck!
    Interview at 11 for a purchasing coordinator temp-hire position.

rie9dwgriee1.jpg

NO WHAMMIES NO WHAMMIES

Also good luck!

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I can't imagine having to do any of the chemistry and physics stuff in standard units that'd be a nightmare.

newtonian physics isn't particularly bad with english units. now when you get to fluids stuff, like with viscosity, english units can be quite the pain. working the problems I would use metric units, and then convert at the end for the answer.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    School IT guy is not here today so I get a call from the social studies head to ask if I could fix a sound problem in a classroom. Okay fine ugh.

Go over to the class room and walk in and the entire class goes, "Hi Mr Spork!"

Whoa what? I think that was the first time I had a class say hi to me as a whole. Also they seemed to mean it and were not coached? Weird.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    School IT guy is not here today so I get a call from the social studies head to ask if I could fix a sound problem in a classroom. Okay fine ugh.

Whoa what? I think that was the first time I had a class say hi to me as a whole. Also they seemed to mean it and were not coached? Weird.

Are you the cool teacher?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    He's deffo the cool teacher.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular

Meanwhile my school's IT guy keeps coming around asking to use my computer then changing his mind. Meanwhile, I had a problem with my computer this morning (Windows update kept freezing) and instead of looking at it he goes "just let it finish."

It finally worked after the 3rd boot attempt.

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »

Meanwhile my school's IT guy keeps coming around asking to use my computer then changing his mind. Meanwhile, I had a problem with my computer this morning (Windows update kept freezing) and instead of looking at it he goes "just let it finish."

Interrupting windows update has a 50/50 chance of fucking your computer up until a complete reformat can happen.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Goose! wrote: »

Interrupting windows update has a 50/50 chance of fucking your computer up until a complete reformat can happen.

It was stuck for like 15 minutes both times, and I don't have the luxury of waiting, all of my work is done via this computer, and I'd already lost a half hour of my work day. All worked out well in the end.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

I think it's great that your real last name is Spork, I thought it was just a forum thing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Man like 6 months ago I took a huge risk, left a job I liked, to be in on the ground floor of a new place and get a pretty substantial raise.

Turns out this new place is horribly managed (I got an e-mail from my manager last week asking "What is it you do here? Do you need new business cards to reflect that?", and this place thrives on the "you should be working all the time because you're not weak are you?" mentality.

I've been stuck in an endless loop with freelance folks asking if they need me for work, and saying I'll put in my notice once they have hours for me. They keep replying "We're not considering you for hours until we know you're free." Which is totally fair. So it's time to bite the bullet.

3PM I'm quitting, going back to freelance, and terrified. I get paid so well but this job is so. fucking. awful.

I quit a job I LOVED because this was more money and they promised a SHIT TON of stuff they never delivered on. I feel like this is the only way to hit the reset button and try to get my old job back.

I think this is a hard learned lesson for a ton of people. There's absolutely a minimum threshold of money, but once you're past that, NEVER make a job move purely for money. It just doesn't seem to work out.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Today is my first day at my new location, which is my old location where I started temping at initially

It's pretty quiet so far

• Options
    Daimar wrote: »

I think it's great that your real last name is Spork, I thought it was just a forum thing.

Oh it is a forum thing. I was going to put Mr F, but thought you guys would be confused.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

Oh it is a forum thing. I was going to put Mr F, but thought you guys would be confused.

We would've figured out it stands for Mr. Fpoon.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular

Accidents are gonna happen!

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Caviar and cigarettes
    Well versed in etiquette
    Extraordinarily nice

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I think this is a hard learned lesson for a ton of people. There's absolutely a minimum threshold of money, but once you're past that, NEVER make a job move purely for money. It just doesn't seem to work out.

So, so so true.

Also mentally I had prepared to let my boss know at 3PM, and he just out of nowhere came in and was like "HEY HOWS EVERYTHING GOING" and I was like "OH GREAT SO GOOD SO GOOD" because I panicked and now going in and telling him I quit in 2 hours is giving me a panic attack.

Just gotta rip the band-aid off I suppose.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Eh, that happens. There are few good ways to quit. Still, do it on good terms and as professionally as you can. I've returned to companies that I'd quit before, even when I was certain I'd never go back, because circumstances and opportunity evolved.

Plus, maybe you can freelance for them. :P

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

Accident is the best way, usually. Even if someone finds the body you still get a silent assassin rating because I guess they think the person drowned themselves in that toilet.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular

Oh it is a forum thing. I was going to put

https://youtu.be/HVIdy9_wqQw

, but thought you guys would be confused.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular

What is that threshold? Because greed, human nature, society, etc. They all tell me that I want/need as much money as I can, often even at the expense of health and sanity.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

What is that threshold? Because greed, human nature, society, etc. They all tell me that I want/need as much money as I can, often even at the expense of health and sanity.

$75,000.

https://www.advisorperspectives.com/dshort/commentaries/2016/10/21/happiness-revisited-a-household-income-of-75k

Give or take. Basically get an amount where you're not going to struggle to meet basic stuff along with some room for hobbies/interests and more money doesn't directly increase happiness.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Sigh.
    With all the ownership and management changes going on here, I'm going to have to dust off the ol' resume and start looking again. I've been at this long enough to know that I am not willing to put up with the stuff the manager taking over our office is implementing.

Sigh.
    Sadface.

I've liked working for this company, don't really want to move on, but definitely do not want to be thrown in the grinder again.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

We would've figured out it stands for Mr. Fpoon.

I use this when people ask me what's on my mind and I don't want to tell them the truth:

"What's up, Mike? You look like something's bothering you."

"Yeah, it's an existential crisis kind of question."

"Okay? What is it?"

"Why spork? Why not foon? Is it because it sounds like buffoon? And where does buffoon come from anyway? What's the etymology there? Is it a combination of buffalo and baboon? Or is it from the Latin buffomatis, He Who Carries the Pickle?"

"Dude, are you fucking with me?"

"One would hope so. Otherwise, I've finally snapped and this entire building is in danger of seeing me naked and covered in grape jelly."

Playing that with a straight face is something I've worked upon quite diligently and with suitable effect.

• Options
    Yeah if I were to hit like 75-80k I'd be considering things like "can I work remote? What if I want to work evenings instead of 9-5 for a week here and there?"

Things that would benefit my QoL. Being a night owl sucks because most jobs are "9-5" (actually 6:30-6 because of lunches and breaks and commutes). I'd love for a 12-8 job tbh. Either am or pm, I'm not picky.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    "And where does buffoon come from anyway? What's the etymology there?"

... well, damnit, now I have to know.

Oh, "buffone", Italian for "jester".

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    i would like to have more money

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    One of my coworkers just lies all the time about the most random things. Big stuff, little stuff, anything. It's so bizarre and just makes every conversation with them unnecessarily exhausting.

"Oh yeah I sent the job posting for that spot in our office to friend last night."

"It wasn't posted until 12:00 today."

"No, it was posted last night."

"Nope. I checked this morning and it wasn't there and then I got an e-mail a few hours later about it from HR since I am part of the committee that reviews the applicants that it had just been posted."

"Well, someone must have taken it down and put it up because it was there last night."

Yes. Someone decided to do that on a Sunday. Sure.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

Accident is the best way, usually. Even if someone finds the body you still get a silent assassin rating because I guess they think the person drowned themselves in that toilet.

Ah, Skyrim AI. Where you can lodge an arrow in someone's skull and they'll figure it was just the wind.

• Options
    Joolander wrote: »

Oh it is a forum thing. I was going to put

https://youtu.be/HVIdy9_wqQw

, but thought you guys would be confused.

This is exactly why I did not put Mr F, nor my full last name. :)

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I am currently sitting in my car waiting to collect one final signature and it has been pouring, with wind, all day.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »

Ah, Skyrim AI. Where you can lodge an arrow in someone's skull and they'll figure it was just the wind.

That's because of the brain damage

This discussion has been closed.