As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LIVE. WORK. REPEAT.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I just got an email about the school library doctoral program my university offers.

On the one hand I would love to have a doctorate. On the other hand money.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I don't know what I would do with $75,000 a year

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »

Save for retirement, donate to charities, support local programs or online artists that you like, invest in companies you respect...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    uhhh thing #1 is actually start paying off my student loans because surprise of surprises I can't afford to do that at 28 grand a year

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    uhhh thing #1 is actually start paying off my student loans because surprise of surprises I can't afford to do that at 28 grand a year

Sounds like you need to put some straps on those boots

and then pull yourself up by them

• Options

Save for retirement, donate to charities, support local programs or online artists that you like, invest in companies you respect...

I'm pretty sure I could do all that, and like buy a new car every year

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

Worry a lot less about money would be my number one priority.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    I would love to be able to make $75,000

we'd possibly be able to afford an apartment in the bay area then

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Is this before or after taxes

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

US right? Do what everyone in college right now is planning on doing. Pay off the required amount each month until you hit 20 years and the rest is forgiven. :rotate:

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure I could do all that, and like buy a new car every year

Not a very good one.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I just got an email about the school library doctoral program my university offers.

On the one hand I would love to have a doctorate. On the other hand money.

I looked I to the cost of it, then looked at how much debt my master's is going to give me and said fuck it why not. I am just going to try and love the American Dream and die before my crushing debt catches up to me.

• Options
    I work in bumfuck nowhere surrounded on all sides by farms and have no debt. but I probably wouldn't do most of that stuff anyway because I'm a bad person

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular

Pretty much. I make less than $75k a year, but I also have no family to support, so I'm probably at the level they're talking about if it's by 4-person family standards. My daily standard of living probably isn't any better than someone at 40k a year, but I don't need to worry about monthly bills, I can max out my IRA contribution, I throw a few bucks at Patreon every month, and for the past few months (since the election) I've done a lot more charity donations. Also working on my own Patreon thing I can afford to throw some money at artist commissions for.

I feel like I'm probably making the amount of money most people ought to be, and it really sucks that most people I know aren't.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Coworker had a miscommunication and created some absurdly cherry picked data that tells either the exact opposite story as reality or just some completely absurd trends. They put this data out to general distribution.

Guess who gets to put out these fires!

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'd be a god damned billionaire if I didn't have to pay rent, I tell you hwat

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    there's a reason it's called the "rentier class"

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

Shorty are we the same person? Because this is exactly my problem with making that exact same amount

• Options
    I would say that's deffo more of a sad commentary on how common that situation is.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Ah, 75K for a household. That seems slightly less impossible, if you live with a spouse or family or whatever. And if you live alone, with fewer obligations and bills, then maybe you can get by on less.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My income would be just perfect if I wasn't shelling out for Boston rental prices. Friggin....

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

US right? Do what everyone in college right now is planning on doing. Pay off the required amount each month until you hit 20 years and the rest is forgiven. :rotate:

ummmm maybe if I made the same amount of money and lived somewhere in the Midwest

cost of living in seattle is so high I can't even afford to save money with the aim of moving out of the area

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Ah, 75K for a household. That seems slightly less impossible, if you live with a spouse or family or whatever. And if you live alone, with fewer obligations and bills, then maybe you can get by on less.

I can't remember were I read it, but a spouse was described as "a roommate that is legally obligated to share in the household expenses."

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Almost done with my first day here

It's nice, and the lack of free food is actually kinda an advantage considering how much weight I gained at my last firm

• Options
    I really don't like how much it feels like people push food at work. doing something nice always =s food

• Options
    I should note that the free food wasn't really as thanks for anything, but more just "There's leftovers from this meeting!"

And then I'd eat like three meatloaf sandwiches

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Ugh, this semester started off bumpy as fuck y'all.

Finally got caught up on late and missing assignments, though! Not anticipating keeping my 4.0 intact but I should be over 3.0 easily, so hey whatever I ain't killin myself for straight a's

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    This switch is giving me killing anxiety and the fact that I have to work (possibility) up to 2 days before the start of the new one is not helping. Super worried about this shift from late nights to early mornings.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Butane truck overturned on freeway nexus combined with squall of freezing precipitation has left the Puget sound region's 5 o' clock commute in the brutal skull fucking category

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I would love $75,000 a year. For one thing, it'd erase any worries about money or retirement and let me focus on work when it's time to work and play when it's time to play.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    With 75k a year, I could totally pay for daycare for my kids and have enough money leftover for.. a candy bar. Or two.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Butane truck overturned on freeway nexus combined with squall of freezing precipitation has left the Puget sound region's 5 o' clock commute in the brutal skull fucking category

At least there were tacos.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    And I'm assuming the 75K is before taxes. I make decidedly less than that.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    i would like to have more money

I would but not really I would like a better standard of life with less effort.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Tox wrote: »
    Starting tomorrow I am 3 to midnight Sunday through Thursday.

It's pretty cool since it means I'll never have to deal with traffic, and I get Friday and Saturday off, so that's awesome.

Sucks because my wife's schedule is all kinds of fucky so there's definitely going to be days where we don't actually really see each other

Couple of pages back, but my sincere condolences, Tox. I work Sun-Thurs 4pm to midnight, and my wife is a teacher so she works Mon-Fri 8am to 4pm. We see each other for 30 minutes when I take both of my 15min breaks back to back and she drops off the car, and the 48 hour period we have off together from Friday evening until Sunday afternoon. But it gets worse! Because I work late and she works early, half the time we have off together one of us is awake and the other is asleep, so out of that 48 hours we only have maybe 12 total actual waking hours together a week.

I find myself staying up until she gets up just to have an extra half hour with her.

And that's not even getting into your social life when you suddenly find out the things you actually want to do only happen during the week. Just to name a few things off the top of my head that totally have nothing to do with my own life, but $5 Tuesday night movies, Wednesday night trivia at the bar, Thursday night boardgames are impossible to attend.

Veevee on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Asshole coworker tried to squeeze one last use out of me to do his spreadsheet with half an hour left in the day. I could have easily done it, but he's Mr. Chucklefuck in my recountings here for damn good reasons so he gets nothing.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    @liiya what's good to do in Manchester if you're a hipster foodie? My sister has a few days there

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    the good news: manager who was not doing any work got fired this morning

the bad news: all his work is now my responsibility

my week month just got a lot busier

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    Starting tomorrow I am 3 to midnight Sunday through Thursday.

It's pretty cool since it means I'll never have to deal with traffic, and I get Friday and Saturday off, so that's awesome.

Sucks because my wife's schedule is all kinds of fucky so there's definitely going to be days where we don't actually really see each other

Couple of pages back, but my sincere condolences, Tox. I work Sun-Thurs 4pm to midnight, and my wife is a teacher so she works Mon-Fri 8am to 4pm. We see each other for 30 minutes when I take both of my 15min breaks back to back and she drops off the car, and the 48 hour period we have off together from Friday evening until Sunday afternoon. But it gets worse! Because I work late and she works early, half the time we have off together one of us is awake and the other is asleep, so out of that 48 hours we only have maybe 12 total actual waking hours together a week.

I find myself staying up until she gets up just to have an extra half hour with her.

And that's not even getting into your social life when you suddenly find out the things you actually want to do only happen during the week. Just to name a few things off the top of my head that totally have nothing to do with my own life, but $5 Tuesday night movies, Wednesday night trivia at the bar, Thursday night boardgames are impossible to attend.

lol social life whatAreThose.vid

It's all good though. Since starting this job I've bought a new SSD for my computer, as well as the new i7-7700K.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    $75k before taxes would be just shy of double my income. As I can already live very comfortably with what I currently make (aside from lack of any proper savings), I would be able to essentially live like a king around here on that.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
This discussion has been closed.