As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel's The Avengers] Officially sunset as of 2023, goodbye true believers

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Have we confirmed playable characters are just Avengers+Kamala?

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Me: I kind of feel like they might be leaning on the MCU too much for inspiration.

Also me: Man, I hope they use the Avengers theme.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Have we confirmed playable characters are just Avengers+Kamala?

they said that the next stream will talk about the first post launch hero, so i guess that's the launch line up with more being added over time.

• Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Me: I kind of feel like they might be leaning on the MCU too much for inspiration.

Absolutely. I would love it if they used this -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyhtaQYCKn0

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I'd be more interested if in the first gameplay reveal they didn't have Thor using combos to put down basic mooks with guns. The very first gameplay element we see is a QTE prompt. Crystal Dynamics doing the Avengers should give me a boner, but instead I grimaced.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    It's a shame because the concept isn't really bad, just feels like they were so worried about getting it right they played it too safe, and in the end it became so bland because they put on kid gloves when handling the franchise for some reason. Yes, it's a massive franchise and the game was always gonna sell well no matter what. But it's so unambitious.

The gameplay looks fine, but because it's dressed in such plain character design it feels like Anthem rather than Destiny. People say destiny like it's a bad thing but it's a rocksolid foundation to build a MMO (not that it doesn't have it's own issues). Anthem was all flash, no soul. Destiny at it's heart still has style and a lore to it that's worth investing in. An Avengers game that could do that and add lots of characters, and have a running seasonal content with story driven skirmishes, customizable heroes and co-op sounds like a dream on paper. But then we get... This...

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Put me in the camp thats intrigued, but only at a budget/sale price.

The concerns people have are legit, but I don't know what else they could do to make it more exciting, short of dropping the Avengers tag and maybe instead calling it Marvel: Heroes (Season 1). Now you can include pretty much anyone from the Marvelverse and not feel strapped down to a handful of characters, some of whom are just terribly boring.

But its God of War 2018 gameplay with Avengers. How do you make that more exciting for what will be a third person style MMO? At least it isn't another Destiny FPS clone?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Absolutely. I would love it if they used this -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyhtaQYCKn0
    Thats not the Avengers theme, you goof!

Here it is in all its glory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3WJaC-7g2c

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

The concerns people have are legit, but I don't know what else they could do to make it more exciting, short of dropping the Avengers tag and maybe instead calling it Marvel: Heroes (Season 1). Now you can include pretty much anyone from the Marvelverse and not feel strapped down to a handful of characters, some of whom are just terribly boring.

But its God of War 2018 gameplay with Avengers. How do you make that more exciting for what will be a third person style MMO? At least it isn't another Destiny FPS clone?

Give it some fucking style. Do what Borderlands did when it first came out looking generic as hell and literally nobody cared about, they went back to the drawing board and the next time they showed it, it looked like Borderlands.

This game already has that pre-built. It's a fucking game based on comic books! Make it look like comic books!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Give it some fucking style. Do what Borderlands did when it first came out looking generic as hell and literally nobody cared about, they went back to the drawing board and the next time they showed it, it looked like Borderlands.

This game already has that pre-built. It's a fucking game based on comic books! Make it look like comic books!

You forgot to mention that what Borderlands did was lift someone else's art style, without paying them or crediting them for it. Nobody should do what Gearbox does.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    To syphonblue's credit though, animating things in a comic book style would probably look better than using whatever engine. Luminous? Unreal?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I think a nice idea, as someone with no horse in this race per say, is establish from the opening scene this takes place in its own universe, and make whatever changes they need to make it the most fun. Spider-Verse it.

Falcon is Cap, but Widow is alive. Adult Peter is on the team, but Thor isn’t, as he’s busy running a New Asgard that hasn’t been totalled. Like, put Loki on the team as a distrusted temporary ally that ends up sticking around after season one, redeemed in some way. Make some two-bit villain a big deal, have Rocket and Groot move to Chicago as detectives.

But I’m also in the camp of please not as an MMO, ever.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Bah, I always hated Falcon. Theres just an inherent lameness to that character that can't be fixed by having him put on someone else's costume.

Only good replacement Cap was Bucky during Brubaker's run. Oh and Samantha from the Spider-Gwen universe.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I mean, that's what the previous marvel beat 'em up games did. The ultimate alliance ones were all that cel-shaded look and the first few were pretty fun.

edit: and yeah, borderlands hooooooly shit did they rip off that french dude. The art style, the characters and such. They were even in talks with him before they decided, "Naw, let's just fucking steaaaaaal it!".

Nosf on
  • Options
    of course the counter example is Fuse by Insomniac Games. announced as Overstrike, it was bright, colourful and tons of character*, and so far from the bland, generic game we eventually got. and Avengers doesn't look that bad, its clear that the folks at Crystal Dynamics have put a lot of work into creating the game. its just a bit underwhelming is all.

*though one of the characters was an obvious rip off of Claudia from Warehouse 13.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    of course the counter example is Fuse by Insomniac Games. announced as Overstrike, it was bright, colourful and tons of character*, and so far from the bland, generic game we eventually got. and Avengers doesn't look that bad, its clear that the folks at Crystal Dynamics have put a lot of work into creating the game. its just a bit underwhelming is all.

*though one of the characters was an obvious rip off of Claudia from Warehouse 13.

Man I loved that show. Just so much fun

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

You forgot to mention that what Borderlands did was lift someone else's art style, without paying them or crediting them for it. Nobody should do what Gearbox does.

Ok you understand my point though

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    I'd be more interested if in the first gameplay reveal they didn't have Thor using combos to put down basic mooks with guns. The very first gameplay element we see is a QTE prompt. Crystal Dynamics doing the Avengers should give me a boner, but instead I grimaced.

Thor needing to use combos with Mewmew to take down mooks with guns was a baffling gameplay choice to me.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Thor should be fighting big AIM robots or whatever, yeah.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Geddoe wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »

Thor needing to use combos with Mewmew to take down mooks with guns was a baffling gameplay choice to me.

Thor doing combos with a cat or his grandma both sound more fun than what they've shown so far.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I've been ignoring this since the reveal trailer because it seemed kinda generic action basically better tech marvel heroes... but PS just sent me a rando marketing email with a new trailer about Ms. Marvel origin story and having to get the team back together from her POV and that made me more interested

• Options
    Had the announced the post launch heroes would be free? I kinda had figured they'd be paid DLC.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I know hawk eye is supposed to be a free dlc I think?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Didn't they also hint at Ant-Man?

• Options
    so far i think they've said(or implied) that all currently slated post launch content will be free. not sure how much that will be or how long a period that will cover though. would bet at no more than a years worth and we'll need to wait and see how well their content delivery pipe line holds up to see how much we get in that time.

• Options

I have a terrible joke I'll just imply I could put here but I didn't, but I could, but I didn't, BUT I COULD!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    so far i think they've said(or implied) that all currently slated post launch content will be free. not sure how much that will be or how long a period that will cover though. would bet at no more than a years worth and we'll need to wait and see how well their content delivery pipe line holds up to see how much we get in that time.

The articles I've read have said that they're planning all characters to be free, so I'm guessing dlc will be missions more than characters.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

The articles I've read have said that they're planning all characters to be free, so I'm guessing dlc will be missions more than characters.

Supposedly with hawk eye will be free missions, but we'll see they have to monetize this somehow. Maybe they'll go the Marvel Heroes route and exorbitant amazing extra costumes that are purely cosmetic?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I guess there is a demo out now if you preordered on the ps4.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    The beta hasn't started yet - I belive these are the weekend dates here:

*Edit* - Just noticed that this only has the ps4 beta listed, but the X-Box and PC preorder beta is in the second week and all platforms have an open beta in the third week

Also there is a trailer for the "beta" out with a bunch of new footage.

https://youtu.be/TIKzNtUbOK8

I had a chance to play this at pax AU last year and was quietly impressed with how the gameplay felt, though i'm 100% with people complaining about the style. I can't imagine how much better this would have looked with a cartoony / comic book style ala spiderverse or something. It's not a dealbreaker for me though.

Really looking forward to trying out Kamala - she looks super fun, especially with that graple

Hullabaloo on
    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Thinking about this game with a cel shaded style makes me so angry at what we got.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I'll for sure be trying out the open beta.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Thinking about this game with a cel shaded style makes me so angry at what we got.

With "KAPOW!" and "BOOM!" and such appearing on the screen.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    This went from completely and utterly out of my radar to pre-order on Amazon (for the beta code) and order on PC. That beta trailer was ridiculous. Something tells me CD and SquareEnix are doing this given the somewhat lackluster response to the game from last year; putting out what looks to be a really fleshed out demo (lets just call it what it is) suggests they're pretty confident in what they have and want to get that hype train up and running.

. . .also not too beat up about the art direction. Looks flashy and fun enough.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Not gonna lie, seeing Black Widows gameplay makes me really want Spidey in this

• Options

Hank Pym is in the base game as an NPC. i expect some version of Ant-Man will be playable eventually, if not him specifically.

• Options
    I think im ok with the art style. Id like it to be a bit more colorful, comic booky, not so realistic. But it looks good, and if its fun to play? I may have a hard time staying away from it. If it had 2 player local co op itd probable be a day one buy though.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    The Avengers game is going to flop hard I think. Every attempt at marketing falls flat, and it looks like a game that wanted to capitalize on the hugely successful films, but not pay for any of the respective rights to it, so is doing one of those Asylum-film style knock offs. Plus the general logistics of trying to make 5+ playstyles for different characters with WILDLY different abilities.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I'm a sucker and have it pre-ordered. I'm not a fan of making it a gaas, but I'm excited about getting to play coop with a buddy of mine in Florida.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    The Avengers game is going to flop hard I think. Every attempt at marketing falls flat, and it looks like a game that wanted to capitalize on the hugely successful films, but not pay for any of the respective rights to it, so is doing one of those Asylum-film style knock offs. Plus the general logistics of trying to make 5+ playstyles for different characters with WILDLY different abilities.

Honestly I was pretty sour on it until I saw the beta trailer, tbh the gameplay looks fun. I'll give it a shot at least!