As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel's The Avengers] Officially sunset as of 2023, goodbye true believers

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    anoffday wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Besides Nintendo (please don't abandon me Nintendo) AAA gaming is pretty much dead to me. I don't have the time or patience for this garbage. Games were better in 90s/early 2000s and no that's not just me being nostalgic. We didn't have to deal with any of this BS.

Nah this is you being 1000% nostalgic. Genesis and SNES used to get completely different games based on the same licenses. Aladdin SNES was completely different from Aladdin Genesis, for probably the most famous example. Mickey Mania Genesis had extra levels not found in Mickey Mania SNES. Mortal Kombat Genesis had blood, SNES didn't. Jurassic Park SNES was a Zelda-like, Genesis was some weird terrible platformer.

Completely different games does not equal same game less content? Using the same license to make multiple games is not comparable to this at all. This is literally a case of the exact same game costing the exact same price, but getting less content. No one would bat an eye if Xbox got an avengers rpg and PS4 got an avengers action game. What you said are just games being exclusive to systems. Yes, those have existed since the beginning of video games. This is not that.

No, they're right in some cases. SNES Mortal Kombat was a strictly lesser game than Genesis Mortal Kombat, same or similar price. See also: SNES Earthworm Jim had some extra stuff in it. The completely different games are a more interesting case.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I mean I hear you, but blood and no blood doesn't feel comparable to more characters and less characters, especially considering it's one of, if not the, most famous super hero. Also, that was some stupid censorship stuff more than anything. This is just straight greed and lack of respect for consumers.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Also they could have done the easy out and had like, Peter or Miles be exclusive but give the other to everyone. Something is better than nothing..

• Options
    HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Honestly all this over the last week has really kind of soured me on the game, to the point where under normal circumstances i'd write this off as a PS exclusive and add it to the list of games i'm going to try once I eventually grab a ps5.

However 2020 sucks. So despite all this i'm still picking up the pc version. Who knows, maybe i'm bored of the game before spiderman even gets released?

It really, really sucks hard though.

Hullabaloo on
    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • Options
    Hullabaloo wrote: »
    Honestly all this over the last week has really kind of soured me on the game, to the point where under normal circumstances i'd write this off as a PS exclusive and add it to the list of games i'm going to try once I eventually grab a ps5.

However 2020 sucks. So despite all this i'm still picking up the pc version. Who knows, maybe i'm bored of the game before spiderman even gets released?

I assume they're will be a mod scene for the game, depending on the engine they used and how accessible it is for that type of thing. The PC version could end up the best version in theory, because dedicated fans will probably add tons of alt characters, costumes and more. Guess we'll see, I know for some games like Doom 2016 mods are very hard to do

• Options
    HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    Hullabaloo wrote: »

I assume they're will be a mod scene for the game, depending on the engine they used and how accessible it is for that type of thing. The PC version could end up the best version in theory, because dedicated fans will probably add tons of alt characters, costumes and more. Guess we'll see, I know for some games like Doom 2016 mods are very hard to do

I'm not sure there will be the ability to mod the game, due to it being a game as a service title, but i've already established myself as cursed so who knows!? :rotate:

Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • Options
    Hmm, good point. Guess we'll see!

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Triple A games in general tend to not be mod friendly anymore. This is also a live service game so mods will be completely out.

It’s hard to lock people onto a gear treadmill and extract money out of them when they can just mod in whatever they want.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Triple A games in general tend to not be mod friendly anymore. This is also a live service game so mods will be completely out.

It’s hard to lock people onto a gear treadmill and extract money out of them when they can just mod in whatever they want.

It's actually not as uncommon as you think. Not to say it's easy or even feasible but people do mod games like Destiny. Not to mention the number of MMO's with private servers/custom servers. If you try to modify game files and then log in to Bungie's servers, that should trigger instant bans (lol emphasis on should because people cheat using them all the time) but people could probably figure out a way to run private servers somewhere along the line, down the road. It depends on how much of that data is stored server-side, and if it's possible to emulate that.

People have reverse engineered WoW and other MMO's to do just that, and destiny-type games aren't special. It will make it a lot harder, but I figure people will find a way to do it. It depends on how much is stored locally and how much of the game is actually "always online." For instance, Destiny 2 uses a hybrid Server-side client and P2P model, which means if they can just figure out the Server half of the equation, boom private servers are a go.

The issue is how massively complex a game like destiny is, whereas I'm not so sure if that's exactly what we're seeing with Avengers. It's looking like a normal, single player campaign experience, and also has 4 player dungeon co-op. It isn't always online in the sense that it has a game world and you're always logged into it, it's probably loading almost all the stuff locally and only doing some authorization handshakes to get Co-op to sync correctly. I doubt this Avengers game is anywhere near as complex as Destiny's hybrid model, but I suppose we'll see.

Part of the reason Bungie is so strict on modding in Destiny is the PvP modes, of which I don't think Avengers will have. Squashing a modding scene for a game that's pretty much just single player seems really silly, since mods tend to keep people buying and playing your game for much longer.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Part of the reason Bungie is so strict on modding in Destiny is the PvP modes, of which I don't think Avengers will have. Squashing a modding scene for a game that's pretty much just single player seems really silly, since mods tend to keep people buying and playing your game for much longer.

I think the significant confounding factors here are that Disney/Marvel is likely aggressive about preventing folks from misrepresenting their characters, and Square Enix is probably just as antagonistic towards modding. So while folks may technically be able to achieve what you describe, I reckon it'll be more of legal hassle than its worth to pursue.

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »

I think the significant confounding factors here are that Disney/Marvel is likely aggressive about preventing folks from misrepresenting their characters, and Square Enix is probably just as antagonistic towards modding. So while folks may technically be able to achieve what you describe, I reckon it'll be more of legal hassle than its worth to pursue.

I don't think so? Or else Marvel/Disney would be DMCA'ing every one of the thousands of Marvel mods available for GTA V, Skyrim, Fallout, etc. Like I understand it's not gonna be easy, but typically they only go after things that cost them money. Adding more characters/alt skins to the game doesn't affect their revenue streams, if anything it'll sell more copies (GTA mods have absolutely sold copies on PC).

I suspect it would be more of a technical hurdle than a legal one.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »

I don't think so? Or else Marvel/Disney would be DMCA'ing every one of the thousands of Marvel mods available for GTA V, Skyrim, Fallout, etc. Like I understand it's not gonna be easy, but typically they only go after things that cost them money. Adding more characters/alt skins to the game doesn't affect their revenue streams, if anything it'll sell more copies (GTA mods have absolutely sold copies on PC).

I suspect it would be more of a technical hurdle than a legal one.

It'd probably be easier for them to monitor and adjudicate platforms/products that they own/developed, and if someone mods the PC game to include content under contract intended to be exclusive to the Sony version, you're also inviting scrutiny from Sony.

Ultimately, this is just hashing out shrug-worthy details, as the main issue is that yeah, platform exclusivity sucks, but also this game is probably a dumpster fire birthed of an egregious extended development and the attempt to mold the title to fit whatever omens wafted forth from local roadkill.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm just curious what the late-game/endstate/what the game will look like 10 years from now. People are looking into emulating D1 servers and that game isn't even 10 years old yet, and Destiny 2 is likely set to wind down once this last round of content hits over the next few years, I'm sure those servers won't stay live forever. I look at the people running their own Dreamcast Phantasy Star Online communities, to keep those games alive. I look at the once small and vibrant hack Vanilla WoW servers, and then pivot to the now empty but officially sanctioned WoW classic.

I think while the game starts out as one thing, once the companies behind the games move on and leave the games to die, it's often the community who takes a game and gives it new wings. Looking at things like Project M, which took a bastard son of the Smash Bros franchise and made it into its own game full of unique, fan made characters and tons of custom mods. Even the DMCA trigger happy Nintendo has left that one be. I think that fans have a chance to right many wrongs by taking on the legacy of a title and making it their own, improving and changing the game to greater heights.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Since when is wow classic empty?

• Options
    Since when is wow classic empty?

Empty of new players, there's plenty of people at Max level who will charge you 5 gold to run the endgame content to powerlevel you to the end, but good luck actually finding a group to run midgame content lmao

• Options
    Ah ok. That kind of sucks. I didn't think about that.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    What do you expect. The community brgs and cries for something, then doesnt support it.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    What do you expect. The community brgs and cries for something, then doesnt support it.

It's not that they didn't support it. It's that everyone interested took the ride to 60 and... oh that was it. Nostalgically, they probably remember that as lasting for ~mysterious amount of perfectly fun years~ instead of 5 months or whatever it is. Do you expect they'll just endlessly delete end game characters and do the mid-game again and again?

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    pre-order beta is live on PS4. plenty folks streaming it if anyone wants to have a proper look.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I'll be trying this later. We'll see how it feels.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I'm really digging the story missions. The coop missions that are just generic objectives are, so far, a huge letdown.

All the chars are fun to play. Kamala may be my favorite. She's like playing a 3d version of a Battletoad.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Alright so watching a stream has me slightly more interested than before seeing that you can use your own custom geared characters in place of humans for multiplayer stuff(does this work for all multi player stuff like super endgame stuff?)

And then the big one, how character locked are story missions? Like after you get all the characters how frequently can you play as any characters vs 1 or a few? Like if someone were to play when a new character was added(hawk guy) can you play through a majority of the main story for the first time with that character? Or are you going to be relegated to using them for side missions and the like?

Is this something we have confirmation of? Because I would have no interest in constantly playing as characters I don't like as much for the story. And the story missions would be the my primary reason for playing.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Alright so watching a stream has me slightly more interested than before seeing that you can use your own custom geared characters in place of humans for multiplayer stuff(does this work for all multi player stuff like super endgame stuff?)

And then the big one, how character locked are story missions? Like after you get all the characters how frequently can you play as any characters vs 1 or a few? Like if someone were to play when a new character was added(hawk guy) can you play through a majority of the main story for the first time with that character? Or are you going to be relegated to using them for side missions and the like?

Is this something we have confirmation of? Because I would have no interest in constantly playing as characters I don't like as much for the story. And the story missions would be the my primary reason for playing.

yeah that was something they announced in their latest Wartable* a couple weeks back and it seems so yeah. the AI teammates use your characters so their levelled and equipped based on how much you've played with that hero and what set up you've given them. that's not to say that they'll be as capable as human teammates, but i think they're shooting for letting folks solo everything if that's how they want to play which is pretty cool.

for when you can play as each character, they said that the campaign will be a series of Hero Missions, these will focus on a specific character. so the opening has you jumping between members of the team but after that you'll play a specific hero for each mission, you do not get to choose who you play as in story missions. looks like new characters will have their own set of story missions when they get added.

for multiplayer and endgame content you can pick which ever hero you want to play, so if there's one character you really prefer you can stick with them or you can bounce between them depending on your mood.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Wow that's a weird bug.

Streamer I'm watching just had someone else's mic get connected to his game while on single player. And since they didn't know they were connected either it was just a person doing other stuff with an open mic linked to his game just hearing whatever was going on over there. And there doesn't seem to be a mute mic option either which is something they deffo need to add asap.

for when you can play as each character, they said that the campaign will be a series of Hero Missions, these will focus on a specific character. so the opening has you jumping between members of the team but after that you'll play a specific hero for each mission, you do not get to choose who you play as in story missions. looks like new characters will have their own set of story missions when they get added.

Ew, really like the full story campaign is all single character locked missions?

Well this goes back to a not for me then.

Oh well. That was a quick turnaround from no interest to maybe interest back to no interest haha.

Thanks for the info!

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I don't think I'll be buying it. I was probably sitting at 70% before all the spiderman shit, but that and their response just tells me they really don't give a fuck how the other system players feel, and it's a terrible fucking precedent to be setting. The CEO is fucking tone death and sounds condescending as fuck to anyone who questions it, literally saying "well if they want to play spiderman they can buy a PlayStation." That's just some fucked up upper class bullshit that completely ignores lower income families. So while not getting to play Spidey to me isn't a big deal, I'm sure there's some kids who were looking forward to it and now have to hear their friends talk about it while not getting to play him themselves. So yeah, fuck Scot Amos.

Even with my plan to get both PS5 and Series X, I think I'll feel better about not giving them my money for capitulating to Sony.

They should have not made him at all rather than make him exclusive, and it's clear that option never even occured to CD.

Plus I have no desire to play crossplay with a bunch of PS fanboys playing as spiderman and emoting on Xbox and PC players.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So for those that have played, how does it control? Does it at least play well?

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    I don't think I'll be buying it. I was probably sitting at 70% before all the spiderman shit, but that and their response just tells me they really don't give a fuck how the other system players feel, and it's a terrible fucking precedent to be setting. The CEO is fucking tone death and sounds condescending as fuck to anyone who questions it, literally saying "well if they want to play spiderman they can buy a PlayStation." That's just some fucked up upper class bullshit that completely ignores lower income families. So while not getting to play Spidey to me isn't a big deal, I'm sure there's some kids who were looking forward to it and now have to hear their friends talk about it while not getting to play him themselves. So yeah, fuck Scot Amos.

Even with my plan to get both PS5 and Series X, I think I'll feel better about not giving them my money for capitulating to Sony.

They should have not made him at all rather than make him exclusive, and it's clear that option never even occured to CD.

Plus I have no desire to play crossplay with a bunch of PS fanboys playing as spiderman and emoting on Xbox and PC players.

A) you probably aren’t getting crossplay

B) there was a interview round table and it seems like Spidey was out of CDs hands sounds like it was a forced decision possibly right from Marvel

• Options
    On a separate note

Having a ton of fun seems like matchmaking is bolted tho so I’ll have to wait until tommorow to try again

• Options
    No crossplay in 2020 and onward is a joke, I've come to expect it now

• Options
    No crossplay in 2020 and onward is a joke, I've come to expect it now

Welcome to the "Playstation Advantage"

• Options
    edited August 2020
    @Fencingsax I think it controls well, the menus are kind of a mess though. I fully expect my 10 year old to need me to help him navigate the menus. I think the game has way too many menus for its own good and it needed some focus testing from people who don't play such menu driven games.

Although HUUUUGE points for having a Destiny style cursor system and still letting you use the dpad instead.

Other points of note:
    • Hulk's rage system seems kind of badly explained, you have to hold R2 to use it and then let go to let it refill
    • The "challenge cards" are a (free) per character battle pass with ingame objectives (like kill 20 enemies in the air) that give you points to unlock tiers, although you can use paid currency to buy tiers as well. This is where the free nameplates and costumes are located.
    • No classic grey Hulk costume wtf?
    • There is a very weird cutscene where you transition from Hulk to Kamala and she views a video then in all of a sudden Banner is back with a brand new jacket and its very weird.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    This game is fun.

There's A LOT of rough edges and bugs and issues I'd love to see ironed out. I also understand that this is a custom beta build that is likely a month+ (probably more) old so there's probably many of these issues already worked on, but I suspect there'll be all sorts of fun little bugs at launch based on what I'm seeing. I also hope they actually explain, well, anything in the full game. Menus are obtuse to navigate and there's a lot of words on gear and in the UI that don't really mean anything.

Re: beta content being repetitive, I mean, yeah, it's 3 story missions (which are really good!) and then meant to give you a small sampling of dropzones/warzones which are meant to be the repeatable ways to get gear etc. I'm hopeful that with a full campaign in there + more varied warzones + more game types it'll be less of an issue. They've said there's a lot of content and I'm hopeful there is, but yeah, there's a risk that maybe they oversold it? Wouldn't be the first game to do so (Looking at you Anthem). But the promising part is that the campaign missions we've seen are definitely enjoyable so I at least believe they're capable of creating solid content. Not to mention they haven't even revealed how the two endgame types work.

So yeah, this game is pretty fun to play, I like that each hero feels somewhat different. I gotta still earn the second beta nameplate but I don't regret my preorder at all. Not to say I won't at release, of course, but so far so good?

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I've been wanting to play Iron Man in a video game for 10 years. Somebody bottom-line this for me - how cool is iron man?

Do the stunt double faces throw you off constantly?

• Options
    @Fencingsax I think it controls well, the menus are kind of a mess though. I fully expect my 10 year old to need me to help him navigate the menus. I think the game has way too many menus for its own good and it needed some focus testing from people who don't play such menu driven games.

Although HUUUUGE points for having a Destiny style cursor system and still letting you use the dpad instead.

Other points of note:
    • Hulk's rage system seems kind of badly explained, you have to hold R2 to use it and then let go to let it refill
    • The "challenge cards" are a (free) per character battle pass with ingame objectives (like kill 20 enemies in the air) that give you points to unlock tiers, although you can use paid currency to buy tiers as well. This is where the free nameplates and costumes are located.
    • No classic grey Hulk costume wtf?
    • There is a very weird cutscene where you transition from Hulk to Kamala and she views a video then in all of a sudden Banner is back with a brand new jacket and its very weird.

Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that new Banner jacket =p.
    Also yea I felt the rage was badly explained. It also is the same for the Kamala skill, but it's a little different for the other chars. Took me a bit to realize.

• Options
    DecatusDecatus Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    I've been wanting to play Iron Man in a video game for 10 years. Somebody bottom-line this for me - how cool is iron man?

Do the stunt double faces throw you off constantly?

Honestly, I went into the beta weekends expecting to love Hulk the most, but Iron Man kicks ass. His flight is unlimited, so feel free to fly, hover, drop down, do whatever and generally be a flying platform of death. You can unlock repulsors, lasers, and missiles in the demo - all of them work well at range and incorporate quite well into his melee combat. His projectile attacks do use up some energy from his class meter, but you refill it very quickly by landing melee hits.

It really feels to me that each character plays and handles quite differently - I was having a hell of a time throwing boulders with any precision as Hulk, but Iron Man and Widow can sharpshoot no problem. If CD is able to keep each hero feeling unique and at true to their character, I'll be very happy.

The gameplay is fun - I do hope the campaign is long enough, but the bones that I've seen so far seem fine.

Also, I want to play Thor and Cap. The brief intro mission that gave a taste of them was quite good, and holy smokes is smacking idiots around with Mjolnir great.

PSN: decatus90
  • Options
    Yea, I was bummed there was not more Thor in the demo. They gave the hammer JUST the right sounds to feel very satisfying.
    Also Cap was a blast and I wanted way more of him than I got.

None of this is really a spoiler since it's the some of the first content they showed, but in case you've seen NO story stuff:
    I'm curious how we will get more Cap. Clearly, there is no way they designed a whole character, made him playable, and then really killed him off, so I assume he's been captured or some such on A-Day instead of killed.

Spool - I got used to the character looks quick. I actually think Banner looks great (the Hulk as well), and Kamala never bothered me since there was no movie version of her that made it feel weird to see her looking different. She's cute as a button.

• Options
    How hard is it to get a refund on a gamr if you preorder it? Thought about preordering on xbox to try it a week earlier, and if im not feelibg it, just cancel it. My gf may enjoy playing this, she loves comics.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Xbox store isn't too arduous a process. They don't charge your funding source (unlike Sony/PSN, which is an immediate charge) till anywhere from 3 days to 1 week before the official launch date. IME if you cancel before charges have gone through nothing else is needed. The one time I've done so after the charge hit, it took about 36 hours and 2 e-mails with their support staff to get the charge reversed and funds were back in my account the next business day and all things considered was rather painless.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    That doesnt sound too bad. May go ahead and do so. I assume one beta weekenf will let me know if i enjoy the concepts, and preordering gets me 2 weekends. If the solo game is solid that might be enough for me and my gf. Big fans of marvel.

• Options
    Watching some streams, the combat looms really engaging. And iron man looks like a ton of fun. Curipus about him and thor, 2 comic book characters i thought were boring before the movies