As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel's The Avengers] Officially sunset as of 2023, goodbye true believers

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    I don't see how that's a surprise given that Sony has the Spider-Man license. He was either going to be PS4 only or not in the game.
    They knew he was coming beforehand. If they had added any other character as a PC/XBox exclusive - like, I dunno, any of the New Mutants, Scarlet Witch, Shang-Chi, Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Ant-Man, Wasp, Blade, Moon Knight, She-Hulk, Helstrom, Cloak, Dagger, any of the Runaways, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, any of the Ghost Riders, or Quake - I'd have more understanding of the situation.

Edit: Fuck, let the PS4 keep the whole Spider-verse and give the PC/Xbox mutants. Or Netflix-verse characters. Or Agents of SHIELD. Or literally anything other than making it totally lopsided.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    If there was anything like that coming I'd imagine they'd announce that with spiderman today, but there isn't because Microsoft/PC don't have the leverage with a beloved hero that sony does. Honestly I do want the game to flop now just for this fucking 11th hour bullshit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    If there was anything like that coming I'd imagine they'd announce that with spiderman today, but there isn't because Microsoft/PC don't have the leverage with a beloved hero that sony does. Honestly I do want the game to flop now just for this fucking 11th hour bullshit.

also they already have a marketing deal in place with Sony for content to launch first on PS and would most likely prohibit other platforms getting any exclusive content.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    This is why I just want Microsoft to flat out buy a big japanese game company and make it all exclusive. Sure, you won't change XBox sales in the country by much, but the spite potential will be so good to munch on for years.

Every time I try and give Sony the benefit of the doubt on stuff they make me realize they're assholes. And fuck Crystal Dynamics too.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Ya this is a big hit for me. I got soured on yhe Destiny bullshit but this is even worse. I was really interested in it. Not saying i wont buy it now but my interest went down a few notches.

• Options
    HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    RE: SpiderMan being exclusive to the Playstation version of the game rumor - I saw rumblings a little while go and appears to have originated from a less then reputable site. Also consider that spiderman was in ultimate aliance 3 and such so I'm pretty confident that rumor is incorrect, though all I have is internet hersay so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

Hi, It's me. The most cursed poster on the internet.

Well, shit.

Uh maybe I should be pessimistic about the game to be safe?

Also in not me related news, the PS4 beta pre-load has started.

Hullabaloo on
    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Yeah it doesn't make any sense to me. Spidey also has appeared in like, a buttload of Lego games on Xbox too.

The whole thing has kinda put me off the game entirely

Like, make Hawkeye the exclusive character, no one will care I guarantee

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I’m so old I remember when Spidey wasn’t even an Avenger

• Options
    Zavian wrote: »
    I’m so old I remember when Spidey wasn’t even an Avenger

I mean yea, but you can't dangle him like that and take him away. Almost every marvel hero has been an avenger at this point, lol

• Options
    edited August 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45dbUjjU3Fw

They got Jim'd. "Spider-Man Will Be Excluded From Xbox and PC Copies Of Marvel's The Avengers"

(Jim Sterling is a games journalist)

jdarksun on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    It's even getting covered by the BBC, though I think they need more fact-checking:
    Ludo Medina, co-founder of gaming platform The N-Erd Council, told the BBC that the move would force many gamers to "pick sides".

"Exclusives are nothing new when it comes to games, but exclusive characters for specific consoles? This is a whole new territory.
    Picking sides is the entire point of opposing consoles anyway.
    And as for the second thing, ahem:
    xu917j87cq78.jpg
    p38mittyz7bs.jpg
    nlfr6hq3cbq2.jpg
    This just means that Spider-Man won't be in the game in a significant way either way, as they can't afford to make any significant plot stuff just happen on one version.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    It's even getting covered by the BBC, though I think they need more fact-checking:
    Ludo Medina, co-founder of gaming platform The N-Erd Council, told the BBC that the move would force many gamers to "pick sides".

"Exclusives are nothing new when it comes to games, but exclusive characters for specific consoles? This is a whole new territory.
    Picking sides is the entire point of opposing consoles anyway.
    And as for the second thing, ahem:
    xu917j87cq78.jpg
    p38mittyz7bs.jpg
    nlfr6hq3cbq2.jpg
    This just means that Spider-Man won't be in the game in a significant way either way, as they can't afford to make any significant plot stuff just happen on one version.

Not necessarily the devs already have said only one version of the game is the true version why not just fuck over the other side more. And the soul caliber thing is not comparative since other consoles got other characters, pc and xbox get told to buy the version the devs like.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Nobody is asking the most important question, what is this version of Spider-Man going to look like?

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Spider-Man being PS exclusive is such a cynical, anti-consumer move and it's completely dissuaded me from getting this game for PC. I was pretty excited to check it out but now? Nah, ain't got time to support that bullshit.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Besides Nintendo (please don't abandon me Nintendo) AAA gaming is pretty much dead to me. I don't have the time or patience for this garbage. Games were better in 90s/early 2000s and no that's not just me being nostalgic. We didn't have to deal with any of this BS.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Console exclusive stuff like this sucks, but exclusives have been a thing for a long time and have never gone away. Sony seems to have some sort of lock on Spider-Man when it comes to games. If Ultimate Alliance 3 was on the PS4 it wouldn't surprise me if they grabbed Spidey as exclusive on that too.

The down side is nothing will come of this (or at least I don't think so). Many of those complaining will still buy the game on the system they want and a bunch of them will end up buying the PS4 version due to Spider-Man. That is the problem with much of the AAA industry, these companies won't change because the consumers still buy into their garbage. Jim Sterling did a great video on this today. It is garbage, but these companies still are rewarded for much of their garbage.

Even loot boxes haven't gone away totally and that was the closest I've seen to the backlash making them change their tactics. Maybe this will too, but I have my doubts. I'm part of the problem too, as I'm still getting the game on the PS4, which I was going to anyway, because I'm trying to find decent coop games to play with some buddies of mine.

Like @anoffday AAA gaming is a pretty dire place right now because a lot of the consumers have bought into a lot of the garbage they are doing. Even Nintendo has done some stupid stuff with dlc, but fortunately it's been rarer so far.

I hope this gains traction and forces them to adjust this, but I'm not hopeful.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Im locked into the xbox ecosystem by now, but man this shit pisses me off with sony. First destiny, now this. Really sours me on the game as spiderman is probably going to be a fun character to play.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Even the previous marvel whatever games, those top down beat em ups had platform exclusive characters. This time around, it's same old bullshit, same old perpetrator.

Nosf on
  • Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    Even the previous marvel whatever games, those top down beat em ups had platform exclusive characters. Same old bullshit, same old perpetrator.

Yeah, but that was Activision and they can't walk three feet without finding a way to ruin their games

Like the exclusives as I remember were Hulk (which admittedly is pretty big) and Juggernaut (meh)

• Options
    The hits just keep coming for this game
    Towards the end of the post, Wong reveals that the team is working again with the PlayStation team to provide exclusive access to specific Community Challenges and rewards that can be earned. In addition, PlayStation owners also get 30 day exclusive access to Legendary Outfits, Emotes, Takedowns, and Nameplates for all characters, including ones that arrive after the game is out. Players with a PlayStation Plus subscription earn even more, getting a free bundle containing rare outfits, nameplates, and 100 credits each time a new hero is added to the game.
    https://gamerant.com/marvels-avengers-more-playstation-exclusive-content/

Of course, this content is timed exclusive, but the shit people care about is forever exclusive. Yeesh.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Besides Nintendo (please don't abandon me Nintendo) AAA gaming is pretty much dead to me. I don't have the time or patience for this garbage. Games were better in 90s/early 2000s and no that's not just me being nostalgic. We didn't have to deal with any of this BS.

Nah this is you being 1000% nostalgic. Genesis and SNES used to get completely different games based on the same licenses. Aladdin SNES was completely different from Aladdin Genesis, for probably the most famous example. Mickey Mania Genesis had extra levels not found in Mickey Mania SNES. Mortal Kombat Genesis had blood, SNES didn't. Jurassic Park SNES was a Zelda-like, Genesis was some weird terrible platformer.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Nah this is you being 1000% nostalgic. Genesis and SNES used to get completely different games based on the same licenses. Aladdin SNES was completely different from Aladdin Genesis, for probably the most famous example. Mickey Mania Genesis had extra levels not found in Mickey Mania SNES. Mortal Kombat Genesis had blood, SNES didn't. Jurassic Park SNES was a Zelda-like, Genesis was some weird terrible platformer.

I agree with all of this except about Jurassic Park being a terrible platformer =p.

• Options
    Polygon seems pretty bullish about the beta. The beta's open August 21 – 23, so there's nothing stopping you from giving it a look in a few weeks.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Jurassic Park Genesis was my jam.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Polygon seems pretty bullish about the beta. The beta's open August 21 – 23, so there's nothing stopping you from giving it a look in a few weeks.

Ars Technica did not like it, though. Need to see actual reactions this weekend.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Oh my god, yes. Jurassic Park Genesis was awesome.

I loved playing the Velociraptor. :D

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Edit old draft

Those are fighting words. Genesis jurrasic park was awesome and you got to play as a raptor!

RickRude on
  • Options
    I have definitely seen a bunch of good impressions, though. So I am excited to hear about the Beta

• Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    I was already pretty meh on this game from the early videos, but this exclusivity thing has moved me into firm boycott territory.

I do wonder what the impact will be if xbox and pc players just ignore the game. Will it just be interpreted as 'wow, this exclusivity thing has made it super popular on the PS4 and we have 10 times as many players there as on the other platforms combined!'? I assume they did a calculation up front on how many players they might lose by doing this versus how much Sony was willing to pay them, so presumably there are some xbox/pc targets they are looking towards. If it significantly underperforms those, then maybe this kind of exclusivity may get more expensive for Sony in the future.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    eMoander wrote: »
    I was already pretty meh on this game from the early videos, but this exclusivity thing has moved me into firm boycott territory.

I do wonder what the impact will be if xbox and pc players just ignore the game. Will it just be interpreted as 'wow, this exclusivity thing has made it super popular on the PS4 and we have 10 times as many players there as on the other platforms combined!'? I assume they did a calculation up front on how many players they might lose by doing this versus how much Sony was willing to pay them, so presumably there are some xbox/pc targets they are looking towards. If it significantly underperforms those, then maybe this kind of exclusivity may get more expensive for Sony in the future.

Yeah I imagine it would be just "more evidence multi platform sells best on play station" instead of directly being harmed by these kind of bs deals.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    There's plenty of average Joe's who aren't tapped into the internet Nerd-o-sphere, so I imagine the games will sell well enough even on those platforms. Especially on PC where people can probably mod Spidey back in and then some.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Oh my god, yes. Jurassic Park Genesis was awesome.

I loved playing the Velociraptor. :D

I wasn’t aware there was any other option.

Why would you not play as the raptor?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Crystal Dynamic studio head has a message for anyone on PC or Xbox that feels put off by the Spider-Man announcement
    We love the idea of being able to bring this character to the PlayStation players and so as far as everybody goes, dude, we just announced Hawkeye less than a week ago

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/avengers-dev-says-xbox-players-who-want-spider-man-have-the-option-on-playstation/

ok so i cropped that a bit and he is specifically calling attention to the fact that they announced two characters in a matter of days, and that fans should be excited for what's coming but damn does that interview just come across as tone deaf.
    And for those players who absolutely want to play as Spider-Man, you have the option to do so on PlayStation.

i remember a guy saying "we have a console for that" when asked about the lack of a feature before. it didn't go well for him. i don't see it going any better this time around.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    Yeah that's fucking tone deaf as shit. "we put out two characters why are you mad you can only get access to one of them?" You also have a bunch of timed exclusive shit with playstation as well, and it feels kind of 11th hour letting people know about this which is intentional if they had lead with this kind of bullshit preorders would have been lower from the jump.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    All I hear when I read that is "dude, do you guys not have phones?"

Fucking Steve Rogers levels of arrogance there, let it all burn.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah that's fucking tone deaf as shit. "we put out two characters why are you mad you can only get access to one of them?" You also have a bunch of timed exclusive shit with playstation as well, and it feels kind of 11th hour letting people know about this which is intentional if they had lead with this kind of bullshit preorders would have been lower from the jump.

i don't think the timed exclusive deal is anything new though, maybe just what gets included and i expect new non-exclusive heroes to be included in that too. but they've obviously not been clear enough on this stuff and just seem to be digging a hole for themselves at every turn.

• Options
    Sorry studio head guy, but people who absolutely want to play as Spider-Man also have another choice: not fucking buying the game. Like shit I'm not on Twitter berating the devs or anything toxic, but that is just dousing a fire with kerosene just to see what happens kind of response. Nobody is as excited for Hawkeye as they would be for Spidey, arguably the most popular hero in the world... How did they not see this happening...

Incredible way to waste 3 years worth of build up.

• Options
    Can I saying without trying to be difficult that I am actually looking more forward to playing Hawkeye than Spider-Man because we have played a lot of Spider-Man over the years and only one hawkeye during the SNES/Arcade years.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Can I saying without trying to be difficult that I am actually looking more forward to playing Hawkeye than Spider-Man because we have played a lot of Spider-Man over the years and only one hawkeye during the SNES/Arcade years.

I'm not trying to diminish that, he's a cool character! But "guy with bow" fantasy is ground well covered by games of the last 5 years. I like Hawkguy, but Spider-Man by himself is a billion dollar franchise and Hawkeye has been lucky to get his own Disney show, one of the OG movie Avengers and not even considered worthy of a movie for a second.

I think if anything this is just the breaking point for a lot of people with these kind of scummy business practices. Exclusive, first party games are fine, and I like them. I own a PS4 pro entirely because Spider-Man PS4, that's how much I like him. But this kinda thing, I'm done supporting. I applauded Bungie for ditching Activision and doing away with console exclusive content. Dividing up their community, slicing the game's content vertically to remove stuff for only one platform, I'm just done with it. I understand that from Marvel's point of view, they've tossed us a bone by letting Spidey appear at all. But it's just one more lost sale from me. I don't even think I'll try the beta.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

Completely different games does not equal same game less content? Using the same license to make multiple games is not comparable to this at all. This is literally a case of the exact same game costing the exact same price, but getting less content. No one would bat an eye if Xbox got an avengers rpg and PS4 got an avengers action game. What you said are just games being exclusive to systems. Yes, those have existed since the beginning of video games. This is not that.

Steam: offday