As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

For Sale: 2017 [Car thread] - No Rust! New Clutch! Blown Turbo!

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I recently found out that the tail lights on a Fiat 500 require a Torx driver to remove. Stick to flat or Phillips!

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Who doesn't have torx drivers?

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Yeah, flatheads are a pain in tight spaces, and phillips strip too easily. I'll take torx any day for car stuff.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    I mean, I have Torx drivers so it wasn't a huge deal, but my ex did not have a set of her own and I'm pretty sure the Fiat is the only thing in her life that uses Torx screws.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    You ain't even seen awful headlight design yet. The headlights on my Tahoe are tucked BEHIND the front fascia for some God-only-knows reason. So replacing the headlights looks like this:

[img][/img]what the actual fuck

That's similar to the Civic. Drop the bumper off, most of the wheel well plastic, and disconnect everything. Then pull the whole assembly out to get to the lightbulbs.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I retract part of my earlier complaint, I didn't have to take any bumpers off, but what the fuck

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I retract part of my earlier complaint, I didn't have to take any bumpers off, but what the fuck

Just because they aren't the WORST designed headlight in existence doesn't mean you're not valid in complaining. I curse GM on the regs whenever they make a stupid design situation that costs me an extra 5-50 minutes when I do anything on my Cadillac.

Could it be worse? Always.

Did they have to be that stupid/obtuse/cheap?. No, they definitely didn't.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I guess I should say that I'm still grateful that I can still do minor repairs like that. I fully expect cars to come sealed tight with proprietary screws at some point in the near future so that the dealer is your only option.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Hopefully this (and it's Canadian counterpart) make sure that never happens.

Motor Vehicle Owners' Right to Repair Act

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    I recently found out that the tail lights on a Fiat 500 require a Torx driver to remove. Stick to flat or Phillips!

TORX are the second best driver design there is.

The best?

Improved TORX

Philips head is absolutely terrible, Pozidriv is so much better it's not even funny.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Goodbye 2005 Honda Civic

Hello 2018 Subaru Crosstrek

IpXPgTf.jpg?1

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Nice! My wife was really considering a Crosstrek. It's a really cool car -- probably the my favorite of the ultra-compact crossover class.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Yeah this is primarily for my wife, because she's always hauling shit to work and back. In a couple years I'll trade in my forester for something smaller and faster.

Anyway it was between this and the Honda HRV. We drove the HRV after this one and it felt so cheap in comparison, like a rental even on the max trim, and they were offering us the HRV at like 4k more. The crosstrek is very capable offroad too and a great size for a camping vehicle. It is the biggest of all the crossovers though, if that's important to you.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Yeah this is primarily for my wife, because she's always hauling shit to work and back. In a couple years I'll trade in my forester for something smaller and faster.

Anyway it was between this and the Honda HRV. We drove the HRV after this one and it felt so cheap in comparison, like a rental even on the max trim, and they were offering us the HRV at like 4k more. The crosstrek is very capable offroad too and a great size for a camping vehicle. It is the biggest of all the crossovers though, if that's important to you.

A lot of reviews of the HRV have said just go buy the CRV. I can't say all, but I want to. I've heard it's not great, and everything it does the CRV does for a little bit more.

• Options
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    That is a surprise and a big damn shame. Vale Sergio.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    TheStig wrote: »

A lot of reviews of the HRV have said just go buy the CRV. I can't say all, but I want to. I've heard it's not great, and everything it does the CRV does for a little bit more.

When I was car shopping, the reviews I've seen generally seem to say that the CRV is the best vehicle honda currently has on the market, and the HRV is the worst.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    A few more things done to the car. Replaced my broken cupholder, and the cracked and torn vinyl armrest. Also finally got it tinted because the C30 brilliantly comes with absolutely no factory tiny DESPITE not having a cargo cover (which is why I always kept a blanket in the backseat to cover my trunk if I ever had to cart anything around).

Happy with how that looks:
    fukgmm1l0qys.jpg

Next up is the batch of Volvo Cosmic White paint that's currently shipping to me so I can repaint the fucked up rear bumper. Then getting a replacement tail light off eBay.

Oh, but I did add one other vital accessory:
    6kkokxvqwg5e.jpg

Does anyone actually leave the bags on these things like it says to?

minor incident on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah, you're meant to leave the bags on, it stops them from drying out so quick.

I just don't bother with an "air freshener" of any kind in our current car, as long as we keep it relatively clean it really doesn't smell and it's ten years old at this point. Cloth interior, too. That's probably what we get for not smoking and avoiding eating in the car as much as possible.

• Options
    Oh, I know why it says to do that. But I've literally never seen one in a car with the baggie still on it.

I don't have much of a choice with the occasional air freshener. Even if I clean it regularly (which I try to), I still eat lunch in my car pretty much every day, so it picks up some smells from time to time.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    How have you liked the C30? I love the look of them and have been toying with the idea of replacing my old crown vic with one.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    How have you liked the C30? I love the look of them and have been toying with the idea of replacing my old crown vic with one.

It's probably my favorite car I've ever owned. Hatchbacks are my favorite type of car, and it's pretty much the best hatch I've ever driven (I'm comparing to... a Mazda 3, a VW Golf, a GTI, a Prius, a Ford Focus, and a BMW i3). It's got plenty of power (something like 225hp and 235lb-ft of torque). The trunk is incredibly accessible (mostly due to the lack of a cargo cover). The seats fold totally flat making it great for hauling shit around. We've fit a 7-foot tall wardrobe in the back of this time. Another time we managed a full size dining room table (with the legs taken off). It's kind of insane what you can fit in there. I also think the bucket seats in the rear are pretty cool. Visibility out the rear hatch is better than any other hatchback I've ever driven.

I also love the looks of it. The all-glass hatch is super unique, and I'm a big fan of the design of the tail lights. Lots of aftermarket modding support, too.

My only real complaints are:

1) The lousy gas mileage (According to my Automatic, 19mpg is my real world average over the last month, and that's with probably 80% highway driving), but that's a tradeoff for a beefy 5 cylinder turbo, I guess.

2) The head unit is not replaceable in any way. It uses a weird optical/fiber connection to the amp/speakers, so no aftermarket head units work in this car. There's literally one company in europe that makes a modern Android Auto head unit for it, but it's like $850+shipping and is constantly sold out anyway.

That said, the sound system (I have the Dynaudio version) is one of the best factory systems I've ever heard in a car. Lots of generally nice "luxury" features that weren't super common in fast hatchbacks at the time (2009, for me), like full power seats, keyless entry, keyless ignition, bluetooth (calls only, not audio, sadly), rain sensing wipers, etc. I'm bummed they discontinued it because I would seriously consider another one in a few years if they hadn't. As it stands, I think the only hatch on my radar that gets me this excited right now is a BMW 328i GT, but that one's nearly 2 feet longer than the C30, which is pushing it a bit for me. Maybe a higher end trim of the new Hyundai Veloster, which has nearly identical dimensions.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    If you want to go crazy with the stereo - just bung one of these in the car and feed the signal out of that to your digital sound processor, then to your custom amps and on to your upgrade speakers.

Also if your gas mileage is a long way off the factory claim, double-check it yourself, and if the dash readout is correct, then start checking for things like a dirty AFM, out-of-spec O2 sensor in the exhaust, a clogged catalytic convertor, dirty injectors, a failing fuel pressure regulator, etc. etc.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    If you want to go crazy with the stereo - just bung one of these in the car and feed the signal out of that to your digital sound processor, then to your custom amps and on to your upgrade speakers.

Also if your gas mileage is a long way off the factory claim, double-check it yourself, and if the dash readout is correct, then start checking for things like a dirty AFM, out-of-spec O2 sensor in the exhaust, a clogged catalytic convertor, dirty injectors, a failing fuel pressure regulator, etc. etc.

The Dynaudio system sounds really great, so the only thing I'd actually want to upgrade for would be Android Auto, which isn't worth all that hassle.

The car is rated at 21/30mpg, but I... don't drive conservatively. I feel like my lifetime average is in the 19 to 22mpg neighborhood, so I'm assuming it's just the way I drive. But it might be a good idea to give all of that a once over.

• Options
    I drive like an asshole in our diesel Golf (including often towing a loaded trailer up steep hills) and still the lifetime mileage averages around 35 mpg. I know a diesel is always going to be better on fuel than a petrol motor, but if you're doing mostly highway driving and only getting 18 when you should be in the high 20s, something ain't quite right.

• Options
    The Volvo 5-cyl engine is a peach of a thing, I'm kinda sad they dropped it. I understand why they did, but I can still be sad about it.

• Options
    Yeah, it also sucks that Volvo just has zero.interest in making any small cars whatsoever.

• Options
    Yeah, it also sucks that Volvo just has zero.interest in making any small cars whatsoever.

They needed to shore up the accounts and valuations for that IPO that may not happen now. Also US appetite for small cars etc. Hopefully once they have everything else sorted they'll move back into that segment.

Unrelated: Who wants a christmas present?

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Yeah, it's starting to look like the small crossover is basically eating the hatchback market in the US, unfortunately. The one upside is the handful of small sedans getting hatchback trims over the last couple of years, but they still tend to feel like the unwanted stepchildren of the product line.

A co-worker is trying to buy an Elantra GT right now and literally cannot find the trim and package he wants within 50 miles of us (NYC metro area). Piles and piles of regular sedan Elantras, though.

minor incident on
  • Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    They are just better than sedans. About the same size, loads more cargo room. And in some cases look better to boot.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    This doesn't look good for the resale on my car :(

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    So if you've followed the love thread at all, you might remember that my partner decided that it would be best for us to part ways after a very long relationship. She's still been living in the apartment since it's been an amicable break-up, but she's found a place to live and is going to be moving out this weekend. You might also remember that she manages a rental car branch and has gotten access to some pretty good rental cars.

Tonight she's bringing home a new Miata RF for me to drive as a sort of goodbye present.

I'm simultaneous overjoyed and broken.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    So if you've followed the love thread at all, you might remember that my partner decided that it would be best for us to part ways after a very long relationship. She's still been living in the apartment since it's been an amicable break-up, but she's found a place to live and is going to be moving out this weekend. You might also remember that she manages a rental car branch and has gotten access to some pretty good rental cars.

Tonight she's bringing home a new Miata RF for me to drive as a sort of goodbye present.

I'm simultaneous overjoyed and broken.

:bro:

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Yeah, yeah it does.

But the Miata would be the perfect car for me if I lost about 50lbs so I guess I've got something to work towards. I seriously love driving this thing, it is so eagar to just drive with abandon. 155hp doesn't feel like too little in a car like this, I imagine the new 181hp cars would feel downright fast.

jgeis on
  • Options
    Looks like my brother is going to buy a '99 Wrangler today. 130k miles on it, 4.0L I6 and 3-speed auto. It looks really clean and well maintained, it hasn't been lifted and the only mods are a low-profile LED lightbar up top, a winch, and wheels/tires.

My brother is like the perfect owner for a Wrangler. Lives in rural Michigan, spends a lot of his free time out fishing or mushroom hunting in the woods, and regularly travels up north to do outdoorsy stuff off the beaten trail.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Anyone have experience with Carmax for selling a car?

I know for certain things they are better than others.

If you are selling a car that is generally known to hold value and sell well like a 2017 WRX would that be the kind of thing that you'd probably get a good deal through Carmax on or a meh deal?

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Today Harley-Davidson did something I never thought I'd see: introducing a new in-house lineup of non-cruiser bikes

For 2020 we've got the LiveWire finally on sale, plus a pair of liquid-cooled bikes, in a street naked and adventure tourer format, really similar to the Buells of ages past. They also seem to be eyeing the 250-500cc market in a smaller platform than the current Street twins which are kinda portly

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea I liked that street bike they showed. They are going to have a battle with BMW for the adventure tourer market though.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I've been thinking lately of getting my motorcycle endorsement. It's so tough getting around LA in a car, but with lane splitting being legal bikes get around really easily. There's a motorcycle safety course every week here in Inglewood that provides training bikes and gear, other than required gloves and high-ankle boots. It's $260 for the course but at the end you get a form that lets you skip the DMV riding test and also insurance discounts since it's a state-approved course.

Older bikes in decent shape are hella common out here, so it would be relatively inexpensive to get riding.

But I worry about getting in an accident.

This discussion has been closed.