As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS EXTINCT! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @MNC Dover

Oh, yeah - the Brawl is totally fun. Won my second time out playing as Druid with a really awesome Rogue player.

Almost got me all the way through my "Kill 40 Minions" quest in two goes, too, since opponents suiciding minions against your Party Crashers counts.

• Options
    InqInq Registered User regular
    It's going to take some convincing to make me believe that Spirit Echo is significantly better than Evolve, which ended up not being a particularly good card. I mean, I see that there's potentially a lot more value from Spirit Echo, but it's slow and very situational.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    I dunno. Jade shaman, aggro shaman, suffer from card draw after getting their board cleared. Things like thing of the deep help it recover but not in an amazing wat.

This is a way to stay in the fight after a board clear. Constant never-ending pressure.

hmm, maybe! It'll be interesting to see. I'll laugh if Blizzard replaces Shaman-meta with a slightly different Shaman-meta :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Spirit Echo is basically the same as Echo of Medivh, but on a Deathrattle and 1 mana less. I don't think that was ever used outside of gimmicky Giant decks, so I'm a bit skeptical this will see too much play?
    Maybe, maybe not, but everyone's going to be hungry for draw with Azure Drake gone

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    "MNC Dover"

Oh, yeah - the Brawl is totally fun. Won my second time out playing as Druid with a really awesome Rogue player.

Almost got me all the way through my "Kill 40 Minions" quest in two goes, too, since opponents suiciding minions against your Party Crashers counts.

Oh good grief... My opponent and I were happily chipping away at the decorations keeping the board clear and keeping our health high. Then the pinata drops and suddenly we both realize that is the goal of the brawl. GG Blizzard, GG...
    No we didn't win, need to slog through that he'll again.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Thijs has a new card reveal right now...

3 mana Shaman spell. "Give your minions "Deathrattle: return this to your hand""

I grabbed a picture:
    53yAmuF.png

"Shaman have a really hard time filling up the board. We should make sure they can refill it again very quickly!"

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    New cards!

aGs7S3v.png
    TyvzLWY.png
    D0XCCZ0.png

Text version:
    Tortollon Primalist (Neutral Epic)
    8 mana 5/4
    Battlecry: Discover a spell and cast it with random targets.
    Spikeridged Steed (Paladin Rare)
    6 mana
    Give a minion +2/+6 and Taunt. When it dies, summons a Stegadon.
    Cornered Sentry (Warrior Rare)
    2 mana 2/6
    Taunt
    Battlecry: Summon 3 1/1 raptors for your opponent.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Dibby wrote: »
    AQ2sfRy.png

Huh!

This is interesting...

Edit: Oh, works quite nicely with Dirty Rat too!

Uhhh doomsayer you can't kill? That's, uh... I don't like that. Not for that cheap.

Not quite, because you can keep playing creatures. Doomsayer can prevent new creatures from being played.

[Edit]
    Not going to delete what I typed. I will wear my 10+ pages late response with appropriate shame.

ImthebOHGODBEES on
    Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    What's a Stegadon? If it's a 2/6 taunt I guess that card is just kinda bad. The others seem regular bad.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Unclear, we didn't get a token picture alongside it in the blog post. I would guess it's a 2/6 Taunt.

Characters
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Cornered Sentry sounds cool, nothing new but still cool. Spikeridged sounds really cool, but what's a Stegodon? Primalist looks like garbage.

• Options
    I wish that 2/6 taunt was not Warrior-only.

Steam profile
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Idk, T2 Sentry into T3 Ghoul doesn't seem too bad. Worst case scenario is Flametongue, but most people are going to be reluctant to trade that early without some kind of buff.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I wish that 2/6 taunt was not Warrior-only.

"We desperately need to give them a reason to play control warrior"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    That Tortollan dude is tortotally adorbs.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    Idk, T2 Sentry into T3 Ghoul doesn't seem too bad. Worst case scenario is Flametongue, but most people are going to be reluctant to trade that early without some kind of buff.

Hell, T2 Sentry into T3 Frothing.

Characters
  • Options
    Sentry is a good play if you want to Brawl also, adds 4 positive results.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    Sentry is a good play if you want to Brawl also, adds 4 positive results.

Good point! How quickly I forget.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    That tortallan duder is basically a more controllable yogg, might see play in slower druid decks

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    HOT TAKES

Tortollan Primalist - Trolden material, nothing more. It's the Noggenfogger of the set, just for funsies.

Spikeridged Steed - Need more info on what "Stegodon" is. Otherwise, ehhh, huh. I, maybe? +2/+6 and taunt though, jeez. That's gonna stop Aggro dead in its tracks. 6 mana though, ehhhhh. Out of the three, this has the most potential. I could see it going either way.

Cornered Sentry - Nah. Nope. Won't see play. Dirty Rat on T2 by itself is already a bad play, you do NOT want to give your opponent three 1/1s. Hungry Dragon didn't see play, this won't either. I GUESS you can combo it with Whirlwind, but that seems like a poor use of resources just for a 2/5 taunt. Also those Raptors are assuredly Beasts and that's bad news bears if you're against Hunter.

Edit:

OKAY, YEAH. IT'S JUST A 2/6 TAUNT. I THINK IT'S PLAYABLE???

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Cornered Sentry does have nice synergy with Second Rate Bruiser.

Characters
  • Options
    HOT TAKES

Tortollan Primalist - Trolden material, nothing more. It's the Noggenfogger of the set, just for funsies.

Spikeridged Steed - Need more info on what "Stegodon" is. Otherwise, ehhh, huh. I, maybe? +2/+6 and taunt though, jeez. That's gonna stop Aggro dead in its tracks. 6 mana though, ehhhhh. Out of the three, this has the most potential. I could see it going either way.

Cornered Sentry - Nah. Nope. Won't see play. Dirty Rat on T2 by itself is already a bad play, you do NOT want to give your opponent three 1/1s. Hungry Dragon didn't see play, this won't either. I GUESS you can combo it with Whirlwind, but that seems like a poor use of resources just for a 2/5 taunt. Also those Raptors are assuredly Beasts and that's bad news bears if you're against Hunter.

What's a hunter

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

Why are you so sure it won't see play? Dirty Rat doesn't on T2 because sometimes it pulls out, like Thaurissan or Mountain Giant or something, which is "welp" on turn 2. 3 1/1s is kind of.... whatever?

Steam profile
  • Options
    So Spikeridged Steed is 8 mana make a 3/7 Taunt, Deathrattle: Summon a 2/6 Taunt, if you have an empty board.

Or at least the same thing for 6 mana if you have a creature already on the board. That's a powerful effect. It's just mildly expensive.

Characters
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Why are you so sure it won't see play? Dirty Rat doesn't on T2 because sometimes it pulls out, like Thaurissan or Mountain Giant or something, which is "welp" on turn 2. 3 1/1s is kind of.... whatever?

Hungry Dragon, mostly.

Historically speaking, giving your opponent minions is never a good thing, especially with this. Three tokens! Zoo can Power Overwhelming woop not anymore, uh, Zoo has lots of activators/buffers though. Shaman can Flametongue, activates KC for Hunters, etc etc.

I could be wrong! I'd be the first to admit that if I am. But if they're able to deal with it cleanly (let's say Pirate Warrior uses Heroic Strike on Rusty Hook+Patches), then you just gave them 3 extra power on board.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    If at any point your opponent plays Unlicensed Apothecary and you have Cornered Sentry in your hand... :biggrin:

Characters
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

Hungry Dragon, mostly.

Historically speaking, giving your opponent minions is never a good thing, especially with this. Three tokens! Zoo can Power Overwhelming woop not anymore, uh, Zoo has lots of activators/buffers though. Shaman can Flametongue, activates KC for Hunters, etc etc.

I could be wrong! I'd be the first to admit that if I am.

On the other hand: this has taunt, so they can't get free value out of their thing by hitting face or trading into another of your minions. It has the same total health as hungry dragon for two less mana, so that PO or, like, double abusive is much less of a tempo swing. Finally, it's predictable, so no getting screwed by rolling pit snake/flame imp/mana wyrm/injured kvaldir.

Also combos with mctech! Edit: and unleash!

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    The text on Spikeridged Steed bothers me. Why is not a deathrattle?

• Options
    edited March 2017
    It could be wording consistency striking again, as I don't think there are any rules interaction differences between Deathrattle and what that spell is doing.

Well, except that you wouldn't be able to trigger the Deathrattle on the Stegodon before it dies. Which could be the intention.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    It could be wording consistency striking again, as I don't think there are any rules interaction differences between Deathrattle and what that spell is doing.

deathrattles can be silenced

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Wouldn't a buff also be silenceable?

• Options

deathrattles can be silenced

So can this spell since it's a buff.

Characters
  • Options
    Oh shit, if that 4 mana 2/6 taunt is collectible like hearthpwn implied that's a huge boon to handbuff pally. One smuggler's run or the 2 mana guy and that's a 4 mana 3/7 taunt! +1 health on twilight guardian!

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

Hungry Dragon, mostly.

I could be wrong! I'd be the first to admit that if I am. But if they're able to deal with it cleanly (let's say Pirate Warrior uses Heroic Strike on Rusty Hook+Patches), then you just gave them 3 extra power on board.

Yeah, but that's now a Heroic Strike that won't be going face :P.

Hungry Dragon didn't make the cut usually for statlines, and because bad RNG could make it worse. Which.... I guess on the same basis, Sentry maybe isn't good? 2/6 - 3/3 is only 2 total stats for 2 mana. Default is 5. Taunt is not usually worth 3 stats.

We'll see, but yeah, maybe it's not good enough....

Steam profile
  • Options
    "You get a minion afterwards no matter what, even if the stats are silenced off" is a good way to actually make playable buffs tho

I realize that this is giving the dev team an incredible amount of credit

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Oh shit, if that 4 mana 2/6 taunt is collectible like hearthpwn implied that's a huge boon to handbuff pally. One smuggler's run or the 2 mana guy and that's a 4 mana 3/7 taunt! +1 health on twilight guardian!

Almost as good as an Ancestral Healing'd Injured Blademaster!

(I miss them :( )

Characters
  • Options
    "You get a minion afterwards no matter what, even if the stats are silenced off" is a good way to actually make playable buffs tho

Yeah. It's totally just a Deathrattle :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    I'm still waiting for:

2 mana
    Adapt a Minion.
    Draw a card.

Characters
  • Options

reminds me of how the mtg team was like "ok how do we make auras playable" and the answer was to make them equipment you equip from the hand (rancor) or the graveyard (gryff's boon) instead of staying on the battlefield

and also more literally bestow

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    So Spikeridged Steed is 8 mana make a 3/7 Taunt, Deathrattle: Summon a 2/6 Taunt, if you have an empty board.

Or at least the same thing for 6 mana if you have a creature already on the board. That's a powerful effect. It's just mildly expensive.

I don't know what to think of this. It's so expensive. At 8 mana it's useless against aggro, you've either won or lost the game at that point.

I think it really depends on the speed of the game when the meta settles down. If the early game anti-aggro cards are effective, maybe we'll see more midrange decks and this card might have a place. But Shaman will still be a thing, with Devolve and Hex and all its primo removal.

It is a great effect because it's Sludge Belcher, but like you said it's really slow, which makes me think we'd be hard pressed to play it.

Probably an awesome arena card though?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve