As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PODCAST thread: it's like Taco Bell on your wedding day.

• Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    Randy Jonhson and Pan Pan are monsters made of love and comedy.

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    There are two episodes of Knife Dad, but the best moment is still the first time he shows up in the random creation

The Bethesda games are usually the exception, because the character creator is the least breakable part of that game.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    just like oghulk!

tip to toe, that's an oghulk

i need a glare response image specifically for you

take it to the bank boys

aaaaaarrrrrrrrrgh

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    generally the monster factories peak at: face creation

OR

"We have obliterated the framework of this video game"

I really like the Dragon's Dogma one but that's maybe the only one I can think of where the best part is them playing it without mods

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    To me the strength of Monster Factory (besides the brothers being very funny) is the fact that by the end of this they and the viewer have grown to fall in love with this monster. Final Pam being the biggest case where at the beginning she's just a lady with a lot of the sliders to the extreme but by the ends she's this beautiful god creature.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    To me the strength of Monster Factory (besides the brothers being very funny) is the fact that by the end of this they and the viewer have grown to fall in love with this monster. Final Pam being the biggest case where at the beginning she's just a lady with a lot of the sliders to the extreme but by the ends she's this beautiful god creature.

It says a lot about who the McElroys are as people that the show doesn't end at making something look goofy. They have to create a story for their creations, to care about and for them.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I do want to see somebody do MEA where one Ryder is like, all sliders to the right, and the other Ryder is all sliders to the left

And then we see what Daddy looks like.

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular

It feels weird to feel more accepted from a show called Monster Factory

but I really appreciate their Dragon's Dogma playthrough where Randy Johnson is a balding lady and they don't joke about that

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular

It feels weird to feel more accepted from a show called Monster Factory

but I really appreciate their Dragon's Dogma playthrough where Randy Johnson is a balding lady and they don't joke about that

Yeah! Or how in their Soul Calibur one they casually mention her girlfriend.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Knife Dad is probably my favorite Monster Factory creation.

"DAD! Dad I found you!"

"daddy's stuck, daddy's in jail"

"Our push-ups can bring him back!"

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think that's just part of the McElroy charm, honestly

Like, they actively try to be very accepting and avoid punching down and all that

And with Monster Factory, a project that is theoretically all about making the ugliest person you can, that's a skill that gets tested a bit

Rather than punching down and making fun of these characters that they create, they end up having to come up with some more creative things to say

Which, thanks to their improv skills, coalesce into more and more of a narrative as they keep building on whatever they've already said

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    (though I won't lie I skip a lot of the actual playing of the game portions of Monster Factories)

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I am now rewatching a lot of monster factories

Why is griffin's Speed Run Guy Voice always british

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    My time at Giant Bomb defined a lot about my career, and my life (eight years at a place will do that do you!). Here goes!

Alex: I hope to one day be as sharp and quick-witted as Alex. Dude's jokes are always on point and his lightning-fast comments often have a poignancy I couldn't achieve with hours of soul-searching. He's also one of the genuinely nicest people I've ever met.

Brad: Brad is supremely eloquent. He has this uncanny ability to distill and convey exactly what he's thinking, using the perfect words to do so. He's also down to chat about space or physics or pretty much anything cool at a near-university level. He's a fountain of information.

Dan: Dan will constantly surprise you. His view of the world is often direct and simple, but this can cause you to challenge things you'd previously considered set in stone. I can't thank him enough for introducing me to mindfulness meditation, something that has vastly improved my life.

Jason: Coming into a new environment and gelling with a team that has been together for as long as we had is an extremely difficult task, but not only did Jason pull it off, he did so with his characteristic unwavering positivity. Jason injected new, outside-the-box ideas while also taking to heart the lessons the rest of us had learned over the years, and has grown immeasurably since he arrived, both behind the camera and in front of it.

Jeff: Jeff is a walking encyclopedia of video games, a trait that never ceased to amaze me. But what’s most amazing about Jeff is how much he respects games and the industry. You can’t build what Giant Bomb is without people that care--that have a reverence for the material--the way Jeff does. It’s inspiring.

Rorie: There are tasks involved with operating a website that are tedious, unglamorous, largely invisible to the audience, and vastly important. Rorie does most of these things, and does so tirelessly. Personally, Rorie is extraordinarily genuine, and probably smarter than all of us combined.

David: You guys may not know Dave Nillasca, but he keeps the lights on. Knowing that someone is looking out for you while you make dumb Internet videos is extremely comforting, especially when it’s someone as smart and capable as Dave.

Austin: I hardly spent any time with Austin during his brief tenure at Giant Bomb, but whenever I did, it felt like we had known each other for years. Austin can talk about the things you think you know well, but in a way that makes them seem brand new and makes you appreciate them even more. The fact that he was able to create a website and community with that ability in Waypoint has been amazing to watch.

Patrick: If you need proof that Patrick is always up for anything, look no further than the end of this video (where Patrick eats a boiled sheep’s head). Professional, personable, and just fun to be around, I would travel anywhere in the world with Patrick again in a heartbeat.

Ryan: Man, I miss Ryan. If you want to know what Ryan was like in person, just watch this video. Imagine working with a guy like that every day, how that would give you energy, lift your mood, and make you want to make great things.

Vinny: What do you say about the person who shaped your career? Who taught you almost everything you know about video production, from the technical to the interpersonal? Who stayed just as late (and usually later) than you when you were both working on edits? Who taught you, through his own actions, to care about the craft of the work in addition to its content? And who did all of that while making you laugh every single day? You say thank you. Thank you, Vinny.

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Well that last line made me cry at work so whoops

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Drew's AMA is going at a glacier's pace, but that's probably because Drew is so thoughtful with his words. I think that took like an hour for him to post.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    This week's MBMBaM made me try and remember every single thing about Yugioh I could conjure up

And the only things I could remember were "Blues Eyes White Dragon," "trap card," and how in the manga it was about him being possessed by an evil spirit that would make people play Go with him and if they lost he'd steal their soul

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

he loves doing that accent, almost every mbmbam too

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I've shown the Bart episode of Monster Factory to people who know zero things about the McElroys or video games, people like my sixty-year-old mother, and seen it lead to tears of laughter

It is some of the funniest twenty-five minutes I have ever experienced, in any medium

I love the rest of the show, too, but that video is transcendentally funny

• Options
    I've shown the Bart episode of Monster Factory to people who know zero things about the McElroys or video games, people like my sixty-year-old mother, and seen it lead to tears of laughter

It is some of the funniest twenty-five minutes I have ever experienced, in any medium

I think it's because everyone knows what Bart Simpson looks like, and recognizes that they nailed it 100% perfectly

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »

in the dragon's dogma one it is Justin who does it and Griffin specifically says "why is speed run guy always british?" and then just goes with it and makes him british as well

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    8jlxdf8d4kpw.png

oofa doofa

(i haven't watched this because according to sources it is painfully unfunny)

I'm guessing that's less of a series and more of a "We have Mass Effect Andromeda but are limited in what we can show; let's fuck around with the character editor."

Yeah, this sounds more and more plausible.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    Hermano wrote: »

in the dragon's dogma one it is Justin who does it and Griffin specifically says "why is speed run guy always british?" and then just goes with it and makes him british as well

"Hey guys this is Buttman 69 and I'm here to show you how to speedrun Dark Souls." /BrittishGriffin

• Options

I put the playlist on for a group of people when hanging out and the first one to really hit hard was The Pebble.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Not only that, but every game developer is also British.

Most notably Will Wright and, I think, Shigeru Miyamoto once.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »
    Not only that, but every game developer is also British.

Most notably Will Wright and, I think, Shigeru Miyamoto once.

Yeah the Shiggy one was a deliberate play on that theme and also hilarious.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I don't think Will Wright is British but it feels right

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I don't think Will Wright is British but it feels wright

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    go home

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I don't think Will Wright is British but it feels right

He's American but I know what you mean.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    @simben speaking of accents last night I played a French privateer in a Pen & Paper game but I don't know any French people so I basically did my best Simon imitation the whole time and I'm PRETTY sure I nailed it, by which I mean Mrs. Chilla closed the door to the office because she said it was too painful

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    What are the chances of peter brown being a new hire and also I hope zero

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Peter Brown is a fun guest to watch bounce off Jeff's game knowledge but I don't think he has the energy they need

• Options
    Jeff has said he's been digging through game podcasts checking out applicants, which I find pretty interesting

I think he's really looking for someone unknown this time

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I hear tell of this new hotshot video producer named Drew Scanlon, they should hire him

• Options
    go home

And work on more quality posts like that one?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    (though I won't lie I skip a lot of the actual playing of the game portions of Monster Factories)

The gameplay portions are only boring when the game has nothing interesting to offer and they fail at crafting a good fiction about the character.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Do you guys think that it is possible that he's listened to my podcast Thirsty Gersties: A Jeff Gerstmann Fancast?

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Do you guys think that it is possible that he's listened to my podcast Thirsty Gersties: A Jeff Gerstmann Fancast?

Well you never actually posted it anywhere, it only exists on your iPod touch, but yes, actually.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I hope he skipped over Episode 47: Gersties or Gerstfanns.

It got a little too heated.

This discussion has been closed.