As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PODCAST thread: it's like Taco Bell on your wedding day.

• Options
    replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    I was really mad at myself for not noticing that one pun name in American Gods until it was revealed.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Like, I was in the process of writing "wait, what the hell does knockturnally mean?" when it clicked which is the worst way for that to happen.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    There's an arrow in the FedEx logo?!?

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I was really mad at myself for not noticing that one pun name in American Gods until it was revealed.
    Was it too
    low key for you

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Was it too
    low key for you
    I thought I was so fuckin smart for getting 'Mr. Wednesday,' that's what kills me about it.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Was it too
    low key for you
    I thought I was so fuckin smart for getting 'Mr. Wednesday,' that's what kills me about it.
    Real missing the forest for the trees moment, eh?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I think my last big Phoenix Down moment was the Stalk Market and Sow Joan in Animal Crossing

Dow Jones... you crafty devils...

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Ohh, Diagonally.

That makes sense, I guess.

Knockturn Alley is a more appropriate pun

fucking god damn it

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Yeah but how about Kristie Alley

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Yeah but how about Kristie Alley

FUCK

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Oh my god that Deadspin name bracket

ANDY BRANDY CASAGRANDE

THE FOURTH

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I believe that's officially sanctioned by the original name of the year gang

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Was it too
    low key for you

YUUUUUP

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Was it too
    low key for you

YUUUUUP

It's good to know I wasn't the only one who did this

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    Gustav wrote: »
    Was it too
    low key for you

YUUUUUP

It's good to know I wasn't the only one who did this

That's just how good a writer Neil Gaiman is. He knows how to construct it so that it's all right there and you feel so smart, but then you find out that nope, you're dumb and in retrospect it's so obvious.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I just discovered his Norse mythology book and pretty much read the whole damn thing standing in a Barnes & Noble

I need to read more of his stuff - still haven't read American Gods

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    and it's so fucking obvious jfc

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    still buffering is also a good wholesome chat show

having listened to Still Buffering on a road trip (I got my girlfriend hooked on MBMBAM and then she proceeded to also get really into all the McElroy wife podcasts in a really big way) I can indeed confirm it is great for this

incidentally an even rotation of Shmanners/Still Buffering/MBMBAM/Sawbones makes for a great way to burn through 14 hours on the road

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    This week's MBMBaM made me try and remember every single thing about Yugioh I could conjure up

And the only things I could remember were "Blues Eyes White Dragon," "trap card," and how in the manga it was about him being possessed by an evil spirit that would make people play Go with him and if they lost he'd steal their soul

As I recall, only the first few chapters of the manga were like that. After the author changed the format, the popularity of it took off, and the rest is as it is.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    This week's MBMBaM made me try and remember every single thing about Yugioh I could conjure up

And the only things I could remember were "Blues Eyes White Dragon," "trap card," and how in the manga it was about him being possessed by an evil spirit that would make people play Go with him and if they lost he'd steal their soul

As I recall, only the first few chapters of the manga were like that. After the author changed the format, the popularity of it took off, and the rest is as it is.

Well. They author did an arc where they played the now well known card game for the first time, and it was WAY more popular than the previous stuff. So that was the format going forward, and once the merchandising started it was locked in.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    ohhhhh, phoenix DOWN

I still didn't know what "down" was long after this revelation

Down is the soft under feathers of a bird.

It took me until a couple months ago to connect that knowledge to Phoenixes and such.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    the first 2-3 volumes aren't card game focused, then kaiba hosts the Death T tournament and everything's about duel monsters after that

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    jeff's voice sounds hoarse in the PAX east panel

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

On the bombcast he mentions thats an effect of having a bunch of confectioners sugar blown in his face and then screaming for two minutes.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

On the bombcast he mentions thats an effect of having a bunch of confectioners sugar blown in his face and then screaming for two minutes.

"Confectioner's sugar?"

C'mon Jeff, we won't narc, no need for euphemisms.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    the first 2-3 volumes aren't card game focused, then kaiba hosts the Death T tournament and everything's about duel monsters after that

The first few volumes of Yu-Gi-Oh are super interesting but only in the frame of "look what this major card franchise started as!" because the actual content is dogshit.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

The first few volumes of Yu-Gi-Oh are super interesting but only in the frame of "look what this major card franchise started as!" because the actual content is dogshit.

i liked it when i was 13 and i choose not to revisit it

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I continually get Yu-Gi-Oh and Beyblade mixed up, so I'm pretty much completely lost when either of them are talked about.

• Options
    I appreciate that the forums signed me out immediately after I posted that.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I do like how the Pharoh just straight up murders people until Yugi gets him to mellow out a bit.

All like "can we not murder people with your magic in my body?".

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    my friends group got yugioh and beyblades banned from our primary school

• Options
    Lalabox wrote: »

You must be so proud

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »

You must be so proud

the yugioh one was kinda dumb because it was just because there had been some fights over accusations about stealing, and trading and etc

but the beyblade one was... well, it's a funny story now but at the time we kinda felt terrible.

one of my friends went and got a bootleg beyblade that had these little metal studs that came out of the sides. And they weren't beveled or anything, so they kinda just had the slightly sharp edge that cut metal has. And the thing was pretty fucking lethal since it would cut your hand slightly if you tried to grab it while it was going too fast, and it did chip damage to most of our ones, but we just found it hilarious and kept on playing

except for this one time when one of the girls brought in one that she had also bought from a bootleg market, and wanted to join in. Except that this one was made of transparent plastic, that turned out to be really, really brittle

so the first time she joins in she goes up against my friend's one, because no one was really thinking all that hard about it, and the transparent one just explodes. Into all these tiny pieces. There was barely anything left of it.

And we all felt so bad, and my friend wanted to give her his one to say sorry and all these things but then the teachers decided pretty much immediately that beyblades were now banned

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    My roommate does after school care

They practically have a beyblade gambling ring

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    My only experience with Yu-Gi-Oh is talking to a kid on a bus about it and annoying him by only asking things like, "Do you have a Blue Eyes White Dragon?" "Where's your Blue Eyes White Dragon?" "I'm looking through this deck, I like this card, but why isn't there a Blue Eyes White Dragon?"

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Beyblade and Yu-Gi-Oh were sightly after my time

We got Magic the Gathering banned for sure though because gambling

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    There is definitely some nostalgia I have, held over from magic the gathering afterschool.
    I remember getting so wound up about cards, and trying to beat my friends, and man.
    It was a good thing in total to experience, even if I cried a whooooole bunch.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    My primary school tried so many times to ban marbles and tazos, but the underground market and fight clubs in that wholesome Catholic school would just not die.

• Options
    Man, all these traditionally non-violent games being banned make me feel bad that the one banning I had an unintentional hand in was for a slightly more rough schoolyard game.

jnij103vqi2i.png
This discussion has been closed.