As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Legion] on FX: Season 2 is finished - beware open spoilers

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Watching episode 7 now and I have an early question
    Okay so I think he's actually schizophrenic but some/all of his other personalities are actually other entities, not just a mental thing. So when he switched bodies with Sydney (spelling?) did he switch his entire self with all personalities or just David's core personality?

Nope,
    David was never schizophrenic. His altered memories and perceptions were all a result of the Shadow King.

When David switched minds with Syd, his mind went into Syd's body but the Shadow King remained in his body. That's why Syd was able to see the Shadow King when everyone else couldn't.

Who was stuck in the wall at the end of the first episode?

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Lenny.
    The Shadow King killed her when Syd was in David's body.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Lenny.
    I'm not sure if it was Shadow King or just Syd not being able to control David's power. Either way, Ep1 Lenny is real. All the memories you see from before Ep1 with Lenny were rewritten by the SK to replace Benny

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Lenny.
    I'm not sure if it was Shadow King or just Syd not being able to control David's power. Either way, Ep1 Lenny is real. All the memories you see from before Ep1 with Lenny were rewritten by the SK to replace Benny
    The whole room turns red and Syd (in David's body) sees the Yellow Eyed Devil before David's powers are used. So the Shadow King definitely had something to do with it. Maybe he controlled her or maybe she panicked and used David's powers.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I watched episode 7 yesterday, and that whole silent movie/Bolero sequence may just be the most strikingly stylish thing I've ever seen on TV.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    In a bizarre twist it turn out that Walter(The Eye) was Oliver all along!
    prime-minister-15-1024.jpg

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »
    Man, Oliver is the coolest kat in town.

Here's hoping he has a brother played by Matt Berry.

Matt Berry should do the mindspace versions of him.

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    I'd like to propose open spoilers for Season 1, it would make conversation in here much nicer.

Anyway, last episode spoiler
    I loved that they spent that much time on the Division guy who got burned. I think that actor did such a great job in episode 1, and it was a refreshing thing to show how even "bad guys" have real lives and people who love them. Also, it was a nice change of pace to actually address something like horrible burns and what that means for someone beyond 'lol the bad guy's face is burned'. (tangentially, why do disfigurements always seem to go with evil in fiction?)

• Options
    This wrote: »
    I'd like to propose open spoilers for Season 1, it would make conversation in here much nicer.

I loved that they spent that much time on the Division guy who got burned. I think that actor did such a great job in episode 1, and it was a refreshing thing to show how even "bad guys" have real lives and people who love them. Also, it was a nice change of pace to actually address something like horrible burns and what that means for someone beyond 'lol the bad guy's face is burned'. (tangentially, why do disfigurements always seem to go with evil in fiction?)

i could have sworn this is where they were going with it

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

Conversely I felt all that did was make him that much more of an asshole. He has family and yet is an evil fuck. Good going, jerkface.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular

Granted, unless there are any objections.

• Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    Ok so, can anyone give me background on
    The Shadow King

In the show they kinda talk like we're supposed to know who he is, and having read zero comics I have no clue at all.

• Options
    That being the case I have to imagine they'll go more into him if it's required. So you may get spoiled if you care about that.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    The Shadow King

In the show they kinda talk like we're supposed to know who he is, and having read zero comics I have no clue at all.

Comic spoilers

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    The Shadow King

Ok, this post leads me to a caveat to the "Open Spoiler" rule - open spoilers are only in regard to the show/season 1 itself. Anything from the comics should still be spoiler-tagged and labeled as such.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    The Shadow King

In the comics,
    he's a psychic being created from negative human emotions, it's implied that he's been with humanity from the beginning. Basically, he's like a chaos god from Warhammer. He has no physical body but he has immense psychic powers and can take control of people. Amahl Farouk is one of many people he's taken over in the comics.

The show implies that the Shadow King was a mutant named Amahl Farouk who became a psychic entity after his physical body was lost.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    The Shadow king in the comics -
    was the evil psychic equal of Charles Xavier. They literally met by chance one day and had an insane psychic battle so epic its never been drawn. Charles won but barely and Amirs body died stranding him on the astral plain. His hobbies include stealing bodies of weaker esper mutants abusing their powers,ruining their reputations, making them fat or otherwise desecrating their physical bodies ,and living like a hedonist.

Legions version has been locked away in David but Im sure itll be happy to branch out to those hobbies soon

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I...thought I was pretty clear about comic spoilers/backstory in the post just 2 above yours...

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    comics and villain background:
    The Shadow king was the evil psychic equal of Charles Xavier. They literally met by chance one day and had an insane psychic battle so epic its never been drawn. Charles won but barely and Amirs body died stranding him on the astral plain. His hobbies include stealing bodies of weaker esper mutants abusing their powers,ruining their reputations, making them fat or otherwise desecrating their physical bodies ,and living like a hedonist.

Legions version has been locked away in David but Im sure itll be happy to branch out to those hobbies soon

the original version was something cheesy like the psychic manifestation of human evil

i do prefer "what if a mutant like Xavier were a total dickhead" because of course they would be

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    I...thought I was pretty clear about comic spoilers/backstory in the post just 2 above yours...

Misread my bad.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

I didn't realize you were a mod now, congrats!

• Options
    It's sad it takes a mod to point out not to be a silly goose.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Conversely I felt all that did was make him that much more of an asshole. He has family and yet is an evil fuck. Good going, jerkface.

He was barely evil at all?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Perhaps you forgot how he got those burns.

Or "You can kill the others.".

Just a smidge of evil there.

• Options
    edited April 2017

I mean if that was me and the group that made me two face was all around me Id probably be a little antsy about keeping them alive.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited April 2017

???

I created the thread and was establishing what was allowed/not allowed as far as spoilers go in this specific thread. Thought that was perfectly acceptable, without the need for passive-agressive metamodding accusations.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options

I mean if that was me and the group that made me two face was all around me Id probably be a little antsy about keeping them alive.

WHY did they make him two face?

Details!

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular

He could have been bluffing but he's definitely not a "good" guy.

But honestly.... If someone like David was around in the real world i would want my goverment to crack down quick.

And I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. I think he may have seen what true evil looks like now.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Interrogating the most dangerous mutant in existence who had just shoved a pen in his face instead of killing him? Working for the government?

Yea he was certainly mad at the people who assaulted his facility, killed his men, and scarred his face in order to break out the most dangerous being on the planet*. But evil? Not so sure there.

*Quite literally David is a WMD

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

???

I created the thread and was establishing what was allowed/not allowed as far as spoilers go in this specific thread. Thought that was perfectly acceptable, without the need for passive-agressive metamodding accusations.

Sorry, I don't think I've ever seen a non-mod laying out rules before and the mobile interface doesn't have a visual indicator. I was being sincere.

• Options
    Goumindong wrote: »

Interrogating the most dangerous mutant in existence who had just shoved a pen in his face instead of killing him? Working for the government?

Yea he was certainly mad at the people who assaulted his facility, killed his men, and scarred his face in order to break out the most dangerous being on the planet*. But evil? Not so sure there.

*Quite literally David is a WMD

Yeah. It actually seemed like he's "joining the team" so to speak at the end there.

• Options
    Again, David showed restraint. He was forcibly in that situation. If they had tried explaining things to him right out they could have easily still killed him.

He'd be dead as is, he's not durable enough to survive if we get too real here.

But going with the story: David is constantly in "leave me the hell alone" mode and people put guns to his head.

And then they pay the price.

Never once, even when the Shadow King was pretty much in control, has he just lashed out for no reason.

I'm not sure what convinced Burn Guy to switch sides even, he didn't see that much. Doubly so for the guys controlling the nukes/bombs they seemed to imply they were ready to drop.

• Options

???

Sorry, I don't think I've ever seen a non-mod laying out rules before and the mobile interface doesn't have a visual indicator. I was being sincere.

Gotcha. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    comics and villain background:
    The Shadow king was the evil psychic equal of Charles Xavier. They literally met by chance one day and had an insane psychic battle so epic its never been drawn. Charles won but barely and Amirs body died stranding him on the astral plain. His hobbies include stealing bodies of weaker esper mutants abusing their powers,ruining their reputations, making them fat or otherwise desecrating their physical bodies ,and living like a hedonist.

the original version was something cheesy like the psychic manifestation of human evil

i do prefer "what if a mutant like Xavier were a total dickhead" because of course they would be

Comic spoilers
    77997-166603-onslaught.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2017
    The Interrogator being so afraid of David and later willing to work with the mutants against the Shadow King was kind of weird. Sure, David was powerful but nothing to suggest that he's a "world breaker." He didn't do anything nearly as impressive as Professor X or Magneto in the films. There's no reason why D3 would think that David can't be killed with conventional methods like a sniper or a missile.

In fact, I think the one thing the show hasn't done a good job with is tell us what the relationship between mutants and the rest of the world is actually like.

It's implied that mutants are a huge deal since the Interrogator said that D3 has the full backing of the US military along with a bunch of world governments. But we see almost nothing of the outside world. We don't even see any of the media of this world in the background.

We don't know if there are anti-mutant sentiments in the general populous like in the movies and comics. It's not even clear if mutants are well known to the public or if their existence is being covered up. And we don't know how much the government has dealt with the mutants. Are they just afraid of David because they don't actually have a lot of experience dealing with mutants and they've never seen a mutant as powerful as David? Or do they have some kind of mutant sensor that can detect David's "power levels" so that they know he's capable of way more than what he's shown?

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    David's not just a teleporter, telepathic and telekinetic he's also reshaped matter (Syd reshaping the hospital accidentally).

All of that is powerful enough and the truth is we don't know if that's the ceiling of his power or his basement.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    And D3 hasn't seen anything to make them think that David can do much more than the powers he's shown. They also haven't seen the Shadow King do anything particularly impressive.

There's a pretty huge gap between reshaping a single building and threatening the entire human race.

There is no reason for D3 to automatically assume that David can use his powers on a global scale. Just like how they wouldn't assume that Rudy's telekinetic powers can split the earth in two or Ptonomy can erase the memories of everyone on earth or the pyrokinetic guy can set earth's whole atmosphere on fire.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    Actually they seem to know the shadow king on a first name basis, so odds are that they know exactly who he is and how powerful he can be.

D3 has already lost countless people and that was just dealing with Bird's regulars and then David comes by and just wipes your headquarters out with a snap of his fingers. What are they suppose to think after that?

• Options
    It just hit me.
    Carey is Gil.

Aww not the MRI I just paid for that!

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    And D3 hasn't seen anything to make them think that David can do much more than the powers he's shown. They also haven't seen the Shadow King do anything particularly impressive.

There's a pretty huge gap between reshaping a single building and threatening the entire human race.

There is no reason for D3 to automatically assume that David can use his powers on a global scale. Just like how they wouldn't assume that Rudy's telekinetic powers can split the earth in two or Ptonomy can erase the memories of everyone on earth or the pyrokinetic guy can set earth's whole atmosphere on fire.

NO but he's shown he can teleport, use massive telekinesis, reshape matter,use pyrokenesis, is psychic and can vaporize people.... Remember when david went for a walk and essential tore apart that D3 base and we found one of the top guys half melted to the floor?

Now imagine that under your control...

PSN: Canadian_llama