Options

LGBT protections and rights

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    The kids are alright, especially the Florida students that have walked out of class to protest the state's "Don't Say Gay" bill.

High school students in Orange Park walk out of class to protest Florida's 'don't say gay' bill
    St. Petersburg students protest 'Don't Say Gay' bill in Florida Legislature with walkout

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited March 2022

Idaho's house just passed HB 675.

It passed by a vote of 55-13.

It would make providing gender affirming care to trans teens a felony with a life sentence..

Worse... it makes leaving the state with your trans teen to move elsewhere and provide them with care a felony as well.

Idaho wants to make it illegal to move out of Idaho.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    States’ Rights (to oppress minorities)

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    That doesn't seem like it would stand up to any level of scrutiny. And how do they propose to prove anyone is leaving for that reason

Edit: I can only hope the bill dies before it comes to anything

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    And to completely dispel any thought you might have of this being based on science (it's not):

Idaho law allows you to kill your children via withholding medicine in favor of "faith healing".

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/local/capitol-watch/panel-calls-for-changes-to-idahos-faith-healing-exemption-during-2020-session/277-75b4ec60-c6dd-472c-8a3d-f32175bddb59
    https://idahocapitalsun.com/2022/01/12/group-calls-for-idaho-legislature-to-repeal-faith-healing-exemption/
    At issue is a section of Idaho law that was amended in 1972 to say, in part: “… that the practice of a parent or guardian who chooses for his child treatment by prayer or spiritual means alone shall not for that reason alone be construed to be a violation of the duty of care to such child …”

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    If only we had a judiciary who cared about the constitution even slightly

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

It would make providing gender affirming care to trans teens a felony with a life sentence..

Worse... it makes leaving the state with your trans teen to move elsewhere and provide them with care a felony as well.

I find it a bit surprising that they bothered to make exceptions for intersex individuals (above the part highlighted in the Tweet).

• Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

I find it a bit surprising that they bothered to make exceptions for intersex individuals (above the part highlighted in the Tweet).

Most of these bills have exceptions for continuing forced medical care on intersex kids. (most of which isn't necessary)

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Most of these bills have exceptions for continuing forced medical care on intersex kids. (most of which isn't necessary)

It’s literally about the extermination of LGBT people by any means they can find, there’s no mask anymore

• Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

It’s literally about the extermination of LGBT people by any means they can find, there’s no mask anymore

Grew up in Idaho, it's exactly as terrible as it's recent action would lead you to believe. I noped out of there the second I had the cash in hand to do so.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

As a trans intersex kid who had surgery as an infant and complications from said surgery for the past 40 fucking years

yeah that's not even remotely a positive thing

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Disney CEO apologizes for lack of LGBT support and weak messaging, lays out new plan for company to be better ally:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/03/11/media/disney-chapek-apology-florida-lgbtq/index.html

- Will stop donations to candidates and administrations that support anti-LGBT policies
    - Will support pro-LGBT platforms and advocacy groups

"I truly believe we are an infinitely better and stronger company because of our LGBTQ+ community," Chapek said. "I missed the mark in this case but am an ally you can count on—and I will be an outspoken champion for the protections, visibility, and opportunity you deserve."

Atomika on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Disney CEO apologizes for lack of LGBT support and weak messaging, lays out new plan for company to be better ally:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/03/11/media/disney-chapek-apology-florida-lgbtq/index.html

- Will stop donations to candidates and administrations that support anti-LGBT policies
    - Will support pro-LGBT platforms and advocacy groups

"I truly believe we are an infinitely better and stronger company because of our LGBTQ+ community," Chapek said. "I missed the mark in this case but am an ally you can count on—and I will be an outspoken champion for the protections, visibility, and opportunity you deserve."

A mega corp with massive holdings in Florida is going to stop contributing to Republican politicians. Because that’s basically what that first bullet point would require.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    We'll have to see what they do. I would be nice if a megacorp did something constructive rather than BS like continuing to give money to shitty people that want to exterminate the LGBT+ community, while claiming they support them because they use the pride symbol during October, but only in nations that haven't outlawed non-straight, non-cis people.

That said, Disney creates enough jobs in Florida, they probably do have the clout to really fuck with the GOP if they want to. If the CEO is paying attention to the green energy sector, he'll have spotted that some local and state republicans have been forced to back right the fuck off from endorsing the anti-renewables crusade that their fossil fuel baron owners want because most voters get real pissed when your politics threatened their livelihoods. So if they are series, they probably could force the GOP into a spot where they cave or they get fucked over in the election because more voters will care about the jobs that Disney brings to their community, than voters that want to fuck over the LGBT+ community.

Granted talk is cheap and before I trust them. They are going to have to deliver on this by cutting donations to all republicans, while also supporting LGBT+ candidates that are running against republicans. We're at a point where many minorities need actual political action because "we're donating to charities that help them get assistance" does fuck all when it's actual local and state governments fucking them over.

Mill on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Remember all those companies that stopped donating to pro-sedition members of congress… for six months? That’s what I’m expecting here.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Remember all those companies that stopped donating to pro-sedition members of congress… for six months? That’s what I’m expecting here.

Yep. If they're still telling Republican homo/transphobes to pound sand through the 2024 election, I'll give them all the credit in the world. But even if they fully sit out this year (which would surprise me), the ability of corporations to slide back into the good graces of rehensible people when the furor dies down, it's the norm, not the exception.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

I could see Disney no longer supporting Republicans in Florida or elsewhere in perpetuity.

They might support the Walt Disney Political Action Fund, instead. Which itself send funds to different PACs. Which themselves send money to Republicans.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    On the one hand, yeah, let’s see if they actually follow through.

On the other, the “elephant afraid of the mouse” political cartoons kinda write themselves.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I would certainly like to be able to watch some Disney cartoons again and maybe a Marvel property or two, but I'm not holding my breath on real, lasting reform.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Disney's CEO was all "Well, we contributed to some homophobe politicians, but we believe the best way to support LGBT stuff is through our content!"

Then whoops, they got called out by some Pixar people about being forced to remove gay content from their films.

Fuck 'em.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Also, the Alaska Legislature is hearing testimony on a bill to require school athletic teams to delineate between male, female and coed teams, whre gender is decided by what was assigned at birth.

During the weeks, they only took invited, out of state testimony. They're finally taking public testimony today and so far the response is overwhelmingly opposed. So many people called it in may have crashed the teleconference system briefly.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Texas appears to be choosing path "make the judge very angry". Despite an injunction blocking their BS in place, they are continuing to harass trans kids and their parents:
    One of which posted this
    I am not a lawyer, just a mom but it looks like my case won’t be closed but we can’t get a straight answer either. Also I had a friend reach out because CPS showed up at their house today. I spent 5 years dealing with CPS when my son was a minor. I thought him turning 18 (thread)
    2) was going to be then end of the state bothering us. I was wrong because they have been investigating me since March 1st. Even a statewide injunction is apparently not enough to get them to stop. I do not regret any care I provided my son because he’s an amazing young man.
    3) and he has thrived since getting his life saving gender affirming care. I hate that Texas is trying to take this away from kids and causing so much stress and anxiety for their families. I have lost 15 pounds since this started, and I barely sleep. I worry about my clients
    4) my son, my friends, and my chosen family. No one deserves this kind of abuse and no one should have the state taking away their rights to save their children just to earn some votes. I am exhausted, everyone I know is exhausted. We want this nightmare to end. Please help us!

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    Texas appears to be choosing path "make the judge very angry". Despite an injunction blocking their BS in place, they are continuing to harass trans kids and their parents:
    One of which posted this
    I am not a lawyer, just a mom but it looks like my case won’t be closed but we can’t get a straight answer either. Also I had a friend reach out because CPS showed up at their house today. I spent 5 years dealing with CPS when my son was a minor. I thought him turning 18 (thread)
    2) was going to be then end of the state bothering us. I was wrong because they have been investigating me since March 1st. Even a statewide injunction is apparently not enough to get them to stop. I do not regret any care I provided my son because he’s an amazing young man.
    3) and he has thrived since getting his life saving gender affirming care. I hate that Texas is trying to take this away from kids and causing so much stress and anxiety for their families. I have lost 15 pounds since this started, and I barely sleep. I worry about my clients
    4) my son, my friends, and my chosen family. No one deserves this kind of abuse and no one should have the state taking away their rights to save their children just to earn some votes. I am exhausted, everyone I know is exhausted. We want this nightmare to end. Please help us!

Pretty clear they are only going to stop if they are forced to. Don’t expect them to even if they are held in contempt as they should be.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    I really hope that trans rights are at the equivalent point as 2004 with regards to gay rights and all the marriage bans getting passes to currently being at only ~crazification levels of opposition less than a generation later. Because fucks sake.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    moniker wrote: »
    I really hope that trans rights are at the equivalent point as 2004 with regards to gay rights and all the marriage bans getting passes to currently being at only ~crazification levels of opposition less than a generation later. Because fucks sake.

Way ahead among the youths. No out gay students in my graduating class ('03), I have two out trans kids and a nonbinary student in my classes and none of them seem to have any serious issues because of that among their peers.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2022

This violates ...several parts of the constitution

You literally don't have to get to the amendments

AFAIK:

Full Faith and Credit clause means you cannot punish a citizen for doing something that's legal in another state, while in that state, with the Privileges and Immunities granding freedom of movement between states

override367 on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Again, Texas doing this is by design. Even with the injunction.

Do damage now, before the law can catch up, is literally the plan.

• Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022

This violates ...several parts of the constitution

You literally don't have to get to the amendments

AFAIK:

Full Faith and Credit clause means you cannot punish a citizen for doing something that's legal in another state, while in that state, with the Privileges and Immunities granding freedom of movement between states

None of that matters if five of the federalist society six on SCOTUS says differently and no one else is willing to do anything in response.

Edit: To be crystal clear after TX SB-8 we are no longer in a place in this country where we can assume that the law or constitution matter to those who are willing to exert power.

MsAnthropy on

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    moniker wrote: »

Way ahead among the youths. No out gay students in my graduating class ('03), I have two out trans kids and a nonbinary student in my classes and none of them seem to have any serious issues because of that among their peers.

Those aren't the folks I'm worried about. I have a lot of younger... second(?) cousins and the kids are alright. I just hope we don't have to wait for them to replace the bigots. Society advances from funeral to funeral, but it can move faster, like with gay rights.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    MsAnthropy wrote: »
    One of which posted this

Pretty clear they are only going to stop if they are forced to. Don’t expect them to even if they are held in contempt as they should be.

Not stopping when you are told to is one of those things which tends to result in arrests and/or major changes in how laws are enforced.

Lots of bad outcomes and lots of good ones depending on how and when the democratic governance backslide is stopped.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    One of which posted this

Not stopping when you are told to is one of those things which tends to result in arrests and/or major changes in how laws are enforced.

Lots of bad outcomes and lots of good ones depending on how and when the democratic governance backslide is stopped.

Right. Someone will need to step up and enforce the order. If people violating it aren’t jailed they won’t stop.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    One of which posted this

Problem is, as I think I mentioned in the voting rights thread, is that it becomes a "hot potato" on responsibility.

The people enforcing the laws get cover by just enforcing the laws that the legislature have written. Can't arrest them for just doing their jobs*.

Legislature gets cover by not being the ones enforcing the laws. Can't arrest them for something they've got no direct control over*.

* I mean, sure, you can. But there's enough legal cover that if the state doesn't want to (and they clearly don't), unless the federal government is going to go in there, in force, and open that whole bucket of worms, there's not much that can be done. And as much as I'd want Biden and his DOJ to step up and do the right thing, I'm losing faith they'd be willing, let alone capable, of doing so, at least from a political perspective.

At best, they get forced to stop eventually, but without meaningful consequence for those that defied the court orders, but with massive consequence for the victims of their persecution.

When jackboot bigots realize there's no consequence for their actions, it tends to escalate shit against the people being trod upon.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    One of which posted this

Problem is, as I think I mentioned in the voting rights thread, is that it becomes a "hot potato" on responsibility.

The people enforcing the laws get cover by just enforcing the laws that the legislature have written. Can't arrest them for just doing their jobs*.

Legislature gets cover by not being the ones enforcing the laws. Can't arrest them for something they've got no direct control over*.

* I mean, sure, you can. But there's enough legal cover that if the state doesn't want to (and they clearly don't), unless the federal government is going to go in there, in force, and open that whole bucket of worms, there's not much that can be done. And as much as I'd want Biden and his DOJ to step up and do the right thing, I'm losing faith they'd be willing, let alone capable, of doing so, at least from a political perspective.

At best, they get forced to stop eventually, but without meaningful consequence for those that defied the court orders, but with massive consequence for the victims of their persecution.

When jackboot bigots realize there's no consequence for their actions, it tends to escalate shit against the people being trod upon.

Exactly. The problem being faced in all aspects of the fight against fascists is that there are no good Democratic solutions to the problem. In order to fight fascists you have to become something like them at some level.

And once the fascists are gone you have to hope that the democratic side of things is willing and able to go back to being actually Democratic and not take things too far all over again.

It sucks.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    In the case of Texas there isn't even a legislatively passed bill. It's straight up "the people in power said this, so this is what we do". It's (yet another) blatant violation of the rule of law.

• Options
    Another court has told Texas to fuck off for now
    https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2022/03/11/texas-judge-halts-all-child-abuse-investigations-into-gender-affirming-care-for-transgender-youth/
    The Third Court of Appeals in Austin reinstated an injunction against the state’s child abuse investigations late Monday. A district court judge first issued the injunction on March 11, but the state said it could continue its probes nonetheless because it immediately appealed.

The appeals court sided with the plaintiffs, including a state employee with a transgender daughter, in exercising its discretion to put the investigations back on hold. Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, however, will likely continue to fight the injunction.

Meanwhile, transphobes are already trying to move the goalposts up even more:
    The fact that specialty clinics care for patients into their twenties confirms what most understand: Turning 18 does not mean one attains adult competency — particularly for life-altering medical decisions like gender transition.
    Every week, I hear from the parents of such young people who report their child has announced a change in gender identity and intends to go on hormones or already has done so. In too many of these cases, there has been no dialogue between parent and child

Aside from not treating adults like, oh, adults, notice again the focus on the parents. Not the patient. In what other field of medicine is this ever done? The person writing this is trans, and of the "I had to go through the bullshit, so you do too" variety.

The jackass writing this used to work for the professional association writing the standards for care of trans people, and is endorsed by the person who heads the current children's section. Who is herself a bit of a crank. Note this interaction, spoilered because it involves quoting a bigot:
    Horrible bigot:
    Take a step back. Gender identity/expression is a cult ideology into which children are now indoctrinated in the education system. We need to clear this out of our schools. No one is trans. Ppl are NOT born in the wrong body. No one needs puberty blockers & medical transition.

I agree with some of this. It’s a bit more complex, imo.

Meanwhile trans advocates get blocked or called liars for accurarely describing what a collegue endorsed:
    The WPATH chair responded here and blocked me. She has some culpability for what is going on in anti-trans legislation right now, even when she personally says she doesn't support it.
    Good grief. Do your homework, Drew, et al. Mark Yarhouse is an incredible human and has worked hard to support LGBT youth and was on the APA/SAMHSA committee with me to end conversion therapy for LGBT youth. Stop spreading lies. You all should be thanking him. I’m disgusted.

Oh, and she also advocates denying HRT to suicidal trans people. Because asshole. Many physicians demand trans people be mentally stable before HRT ignoring that having the wrong hormone mix, uh, isn't good for your mental health. Even if you have non-related depression, odds are good being denied trans care will make it worse!

A common lie of transphobes is that we have 100% backing of and "control" the medical establishment. Obviously, that's a lie. It's just working the ref because they hate trans people.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2022/03/11/texas-judge-halts-all-child-abuse-investigations-into-gender-affirming-care-for-transgender-youth/
    The Third Court of Appeals in Austin reinstated an injunction against the state’s child abuse investigations late Monday. A district court judge first issued the injunction on March 11, but the state said it could continue its probes nonetheless because it immediately appealed.

The appeals court sided with the plaintiffs, including a state employee with a transgender daughter, in exercising its discretion to put the investigations back on hold. Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, however, will likely continue to fight the injunction.

The fact that specialty clinics care for patients into their twenties confirms what most understand: Turning 18 does not mean one attains adult competency — particularly for life-altering medical decisions like gender transition.
    Every week, I hear from the parents of such young people who report their child has announced a change in gender identity and intends to go on hormones or already has done so. In too many of these cases, there has been no dialogue between parent and child

Aside from not treating adults like, oh, adults, notice again the focus on the parents. Not the patient. In what other field of medicine is this ever done? The person writing this is trans, and of the "I had to go through the bullshit, so you do too" variety.

The jackass writing this used to work for the professional association writing the standards for care of trans people, and is endorsed by the person who heads the current children's section. Who is herself a bit of a crank. Note this interaction, spoilered because it involves quoting a bigot:
    Horrible bigot:
    Take a step back. Gender identity/expression is a cult ideology into which children are now indoctrinated in the education system. We need to clear this out of our schools. No one is trans. Ppl are NOT born in the wrong body. No one needs puberty blockers & medical transition.

Meanwhile trans advocates get blocked or called liars for accurarely describing what a collegue endorsed:
    The WPATH chair responded here and blocked me. She has some culpability for what is going on in anti-trans legislation right now, even when she personally says she doesn't support it.
    Good grief. Do your homework, Drew, et al. Mark Yarhouse is an incredible human and has worked hard to support LGBT youth and was on the APA/SAMHSA committee with me to end conversion therapy for LGBT youth. Stop spreading lies. You all should be thanking him. I’m disgusted.

Oh, and she also advocates denying HRT to suicidal trans people. Because asshole. Many physicians demand trans people be mentally stable before HRT ignoring that having the wrong hormone mix, uh, isn't good for your mental health. Even if you have non-related depression, odds are good being denied trans care will make it worse!

A common lie of transphobes is that we have 100% backing of and "control" the medical establishment. Obviously, that's a lie. It's just working the ref because they hate trans people.

"Parental rights" is a big thing among conservatives, at least at the moment. Same thing for the anti-CRT stuff, same thing for the Don't Say Gay stuff, same thing for censoring books about race or sexuality from school libraries. To conservatives, kids are basically chattel they can do whatever they want with.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022

Horrible bigot:

"Parental rights" is a big thing among conservatives, at least at the moment. Same thing for the anti-CRT stuff, same thing for the Don't Say Gay stuff, same thing for censoring books about race or sexuality from school libraries. To conservatives, kids are basically chattel they can do whatever they want with.

I suspect it's mostly because kids are learning to call them on their bullshit, and leaving them and their churches.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

How sure are we that these anonymous complainers are actually parents?

Well, the lawyer seems a real

Horrible bigot:

I suspect it's mostly because kids are learning to call them on their bullshit, and leaving them and their churches.

Conservatives are big on the whole "pater familias" thing with the man making all decisions for his wife and children.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    I would say, also, in the field of "its always projection" Conservatives love to indoctrinate their children which is why they're opposed to anything that might get in the way of them making their child believe exactly what they believe.

• Options

Horrible bigot:

"Parental rights" and "religious exemptions" because the Law shouldn't be generally applicable if it's forcing blacks and queers to be treated like people by red blooded real Americans.