As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Middle Earth: [Shadow of War] Micro-Transactions to be tossed into Mount Doom!

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    should be free and available on all platforms. not sure if its an auto-update, so maybe check the store page to see if its listed on there.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    The fact the system will automatically pick your worst nemesis and best follower is a bonus.

I have no nemesis in this play through

All orcs either die or serve me

Or serve me then die

I ain't picky

well that's the great thing about the Nemesis system, how many times have you been sure you'd finished an Orc off only for that bugger to reappear and try to take you one for a 2nd/3rd/4th time?

I dunno I got a little annoyed that I had to behead an orc 4 times for him to stay dead.

• Options
    Wait so is the Nemesis update supposed to be free because I seem to be missing it

just reinstalled the game. it is an auto-update. you need to select the 'Save Slots' option on the Main Menu and once you select which game you want you'll get the Nemesis Forge option in the next menu.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Nemesis forge is causing me to replay SoM. It's good to be back.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Wait so is the Nemesis update supposed to be free because I seem to be missing it

just reinstalled the game. it is an auto-update. you need to select the 'Save Slots' option on the Main Menu and once you select which game you want you'll get the Nemesis Forge option in the next menu.

Yup found it

I think it just randomly generated a couple dudes for me due to my current board being entirely blue but I looked them over and yeah ok, I'm good with them

• Options

Yup found it

I think it just randomly generated a couple dudes for me due to my current board being entirely blue but I looked them over and yeah ok, I'm good with them

yeah, i think it just plucks them out of the existing line up if you select an existing save. seems to throw you into the world sans story* if you select it on a new save slot.

*or at the very least it skips the intro/tutorial section.

• Options
    Haha...no one would ignore sleep in order to play through the first zone of Shadow of Mordor while completing most of the side activities! That would be just foolish!

:redface:

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Well that's the forge done. Had too kill 3 of my war chiefs before he became my best but worth it. Made my nemesis the biggest drunk baffoon I could find purely for comedy.

I wonder how the skills and aesthetics are going to carry over seeing as the range of orcs are much broader in the sequel?

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    After blowing through an entire playthrough the Bright Lord DLC is amazingly frustrating

I mean I'm getting through it but "Fuck the established mechanics of the game just brand more orcs" is kind of annoying

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Was having fun running through the second area and getting branded warchiefs to gear up for the end and nemesis forge it up but then I realized I was going more for looks than substance. So I loaded up the forge and saw my old buddy was still hanging out there and had to make him my follower. A few substandard candidates' deaths later and he's all set to go.
    ?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|1024:576&composite-to%3D%2A%2C%2A%7C1024%3A576&background-color=black

Guy is a total bro.

Also had an old enemy waiting there as well so I find him a suitable nemesis to take into Shadow of War
    ?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|1024:576&composite-to%3D%2A%2C%2A%7C1024%3A576&background-color=black

Is it October yet?

Karoz on
  • Options
    awwww Talion's making new friends!

https://youtu.be/4fTGmQQpETk

• Options
    That's a rad twist, I was kinda wondering how we would end up recruiting spiders for assaults.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Interesting. They kind of set up how the Orcs and Sauron were basically severing ties with the spiders in Shadow of Mordor.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I'm late to the party, I know, but i picked up Shadow of Mordor last sale and this is like the best assassins creed ever.

and i hate Assassins Creed

Getting tired of having to take on 3-5 captains at once though, because apparently they all just tend to congregate where ever i start a freaking fight.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    SoM/SoW is like someone was given millions of dollars to make a video game off of their LotR fanfic and it was awesome.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I'm late to the party, I know, but i picked up Shadow of Mordor last sale and this is like the best assassins creed ever.

and i hate Assassins Creed

Getting tired of having to take on 3-5 captains at once though, because apparently they all just tend to congregate where ever i start a freaking fight.

Luckily you eventually reach a tipping point in your powers that makes you unstoppable, so when more captains show up you're like welcome to the party pal

• Options
    edited July 2017
    I've taken to fighting War Chiefs without killing their bodyguards first.

It's a trip, I'll tell you what.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    So playing the game with doing absolutely no sidequests (I beat the first area in 2.5 hours) has paid off and finally delivered me a worthy Nemesis.
    099657AE6B4C7C91C807802305F104A1AEB69BC0

This guy is a REAL fucker. Damn near kills me in one hit.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    So playing the game with doing absolutely no sidequests (I beat the first area in 2.5 hours) has paid off and finally delivered me a worthy Nemesis.

Bring wood and oil

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Prohass wrote: »

Bring wood and oil

Yeah, he probably becomes a piece of cake once you get the fire arrow ability, but he had a REAL nasty habit of turning up where there wasn't any fire handy.

EDIT: Oh wait, no, he's immune to range.

A real fucker.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    So you can only kill him with environmental fire?

Enjoy that.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    3clipse wrote: »
    So you can only kill him with environmental fire?

Enjoy that.

Or branded Orcs.

Or you can do the cheap ass "stun, hit them seven times, stun" move if you can pull him away from other Orcs.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    He is missing the ability that removes second chances, then he'd really be a bastard.

• Options
    Just run him over with a battle cat

I love battlecats.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Just run him over with a battle cat

I love battlecats.

He's a Monster Slayer.
    Mirkel wrote: »
    He is missing the ability that removes second chances, then he'd really be a bastard.

I would have taken his head off if that was the case. That's TOO nemesis-y.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Finally playing the original. Within 15 minutes I managed to stumble into an orc captain. During the fight THREE more showed up, murdered me and leveled up.

Within the next half hour I managed to stumble into THE EXACT SAME GROUP someplace else, and they murdered me again.

....time to restart the game, apparently?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Finally playing the original. Within 15 minutes I managed to stumble into an orc captain. During the fight THREE more showed up, murdered me and leveled up.

Within the next half hour I managed to stumble into THE EXACT SAME GROUP someplace else, and they murdered me again.

No that's pretty much par for the course. You're gonna run into captains at the worst possible times and you're gonna get slaughtered fairly regularly in the early game.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

No that's pretty much par for the course. You're gonna run into captains at the worst possible times and you're gonna get slaughtered fairly regularly in the early game.

Hmm. Just wanted to make sure I can't screw myself over by creating an uber-orc.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options

Hmm. Just wanted to make sure I can't screw myself over by creating an uber-orc.

In the first area it shouldn't get too bad. As you unlock more skills you'll become progressively more godlike.

Still another skill to learn is to run away when things get too hot or duck out to pick up an herb and heal before you get runes that regen health on different combat moves.

Dying to orc captains is actual an important part of the nemesis system so much so that some people who never died didn't know what the fuss was about.

Heck, it's pretty cool to accidentally die to some normal orc and get them promoted to captain and become a personal nemesis.

But yeah I can totally get your frustration at being ambushed by a bunch of captains.

• Options
    Once you thin the heard out a bit you don't run into the "3 more captains showed up while I was fighting this dude" problem as much.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    The best part is running into captains that people on your friends list have turned into nigh invulnerable super orcs, whose power very nearly eclipses the Naguls'

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    The best part is running into captains that people on your friends list have turned into nigh invulnerable super orcs, whose power very nearly eclipses the Naguls'

Don't you only get other people's orcs if you specifically take missions to avenge their deaths? Or was general cross pollination added and I missed it?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    how do you limit vengence missions to friends list?

I keep getting random people I've never heard of. and their orcs are suckass weak.

• Options
    Why wouldn't you try to avenge your friends' deaths? I mean, then you can crow about how you killed what killed them.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The first play through I had, I never really died, so it was more "hm, neat idea, but eh." Then I upped the difficulty and I was more "oooooooohhhh, that is rad"

• Options
    edited July 2017
    I didn't play it until much later and basically it was just a neverending succession of avenge @LeftOnRed 's death at the hands of Choppy McStabbaface and so on.
    how do you limit vengence missions to friends list?

I keep getting random people I've never heard of. and their orcs are suckass weak.

Unsure, I played on PC if it matters.

Nosf on
  • Options
    I think it randomly generates vengeance missions if no one else is playing. It was pretty rad to avenge other people and they could do the same.

I hope some version of that gets carried over to Shadow of War.

• Options
    It's been awhile, but I remember I had a friend message me because my Nemesis totally smoked him.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I had never played Shadow of Mordor until this week, despite making a thread on it (I was cheap). And lo and behold! It's a ton of fun, but the free roam is unquestionably better than the main story missions with the standard Assassin's Creed fail states. I can kill an army, why do I care if I sound an alert? If a target escapes, I can always hunt them down later. I know its after the fact, but I hope the team learned their lesson that overly scripted missions in a game like this with the Nemesis system is a bad idea.