As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Path of Exile]Bestiary League begins on March 2nd

• Options
    mccartmccart Registered User regular
    CWDT cannot cast Enduring cry anymore, though it used to be able to. For something to work with CWDT, it will need to have the Spell tag.

• Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    mccart wrote: »
    CWDT cannot cast Enduring cry anymore, though it used to be able to. For something to work with CWDT, it will need to have the Spell tag.

Well balls. Guess I'll have to hard cast it then.

• Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    Griswold wrote: »
    I'm using my LSC currency to revisit/improve on an old character that received some incidental buffs: the 100% fire conversion Ice Crash Chieftain.

The basic math is:

-Ice Crash converts 50% of physical to cold
    -Cold to Fire gem converts 50% of cold to fire
    -Avatar of Fire converts 50% of physical to fire, and 50% of cold to fire

Once you've got that taken care of, you get to take advantage of all sorts of fun synergies:

-Fire Penetration and Weapon Elemental Damage become sick more multipliers
    -Added Fire Damage goes from good to very good (because it benefits from all your pen)
    -Similarly, Herald of Ash (and Hatred, whose added damage is fully converted to fire) goes from good to very good
    -Hinekora, Death's Fury becomes absurdly efficient
    -Lava Lash, The Wise Oak, and [Leap Slam - Curse on Hit - Flammability] give you yet more insane penetration

Last time I ran the character, I went 1H with a Soul Taker so that I didn't have to solve mana leech issues. This time, I'm taking the more straightforward approach of Kongor's Undying Rage and just pathing over to the Vitality Void cluster to get some mana leech. This also lets me take Elemental Overload (thanks for the idea, Mathil).

I think I'm gonna need a Sibyl's Lament...

This sounds really cool, can you link a tree if/when you figure it out?

93-point tree that grabs the essentials

From here you just fill out life, damage and endurance/frenzy charges as needed.

The sad part is: for as good as the Hinekora major ascendancy is, the build is probably still just better as a Juggernaut. The thing that threatens you more than anything else is being chilled/slowed.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    I'm using my LSC currency to revisit/improve on an old character that received some incidental buffs: the 100% fire conversion Ice Crash Chieftain.

The basic math is:

-Ice Crash converts 50% of physical to cold
    -Cold to Fire gem converts 50% of cold to fire
    -Avatar of Fire converts 50% of physical to fire, and 50% of cold to fire

Once you've got that taken care of, you get to take advantage of all sorts of fun synergies:

-Fire Penetration and Weapon Elemental Damage become sick more multipliers
    -Added Fire Damage goes from good to very good (because it benefits from all your pen)
    -Similarly, Herald of Ash (and Hatred, whose added damage is fully converted to fire) goes from good to very good
    -Hinekora, Death's Fury becomes absurdly efficient
    -Lava Lash, The Wise Oak, and [Leap Slam - Curse on Hit - Flammability] give you yet more insane penetration

Last time I ran the character, I went 1H with a Soul Taker so that I didn't have to solve mana leech issues. This time, I'm taking the more straightforward approach of Kongor's Undying Rage and just pathing over to the Vitality Void cluster to get some mana leech. This also lets me take Elemental Overload (thanks for the idea, Mathil).

I think I'm gonna need a Sibyl's Lament...

This sounds really cool, can you link a tree if/when you figure it out?

93-point tree that grabs the essentials

From here you just fill out life, damage and endurance/frenzy charges as needed.

The sad part is: for as good as the Hinekora major ascendancy is, the build is probably still just better as a Juggernaut. The thing that threatens you more than anything else is being chilled/slowed.

Chieftain has one of the best ascendancy nodes and some of the worst. 35% increased ignite damage and 15% ignite chance is just laughable compared to Elementalist and you have to grab it to get anything else. A pure stat node and 2 dedicated totem nodes round out the other things that are useless for most builds

And the endurance charge on killing an ignited enemy is almost better than Juggernaut for charge generation, and Hinekora is just an incredible node. The smaller nodes are also half useless for one build or another but if you can take advantage of the life regen they're great.

It needs a rework because as it is the only builds that even gain anything from the last 2 points are fire based totem builds using life regen and endurance charges. Which is incredibly niche.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Savant wrote: »
    Saldonas wrote: »
    I still haven't got a damn reliquary key T_T but at least I'm not missing out on much probably.

I've had two drop and sold both.

Supposedly they are in the ballpark of rarity of exalts.

Etup made it a point to show that the keys are nowhere near what they're worth on the market and bought 144 of them to prove it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWKK35FT2GM

I also sometimes hear a bit of loose talk about price-fixing on keys.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Savant wrote: »
    I still haven't got a damn reliquary key T_T but at least I'm not missing out on much probably.

I've had two drop and sold both.

Supposedly they are in the ballpark of rarity of exalts.

Etup made it a point to show that the keys are nowhere near what they're worth on the market and bought 144 of them to prove it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWKK35FT2GM

I also sometimes hear a bit of loose talk about price-fixing on keys.

I've found another one or two of them and sold them. Not sure what sort of price-fixing would actually be happening with those, at least along the lines that would raise the price. Most of the time it sounds like what they have been calling "price-fixing" is really just false advertising to try to catch people who don't know any better to list their stuff for too cheap by matching a listed price that the fixer won't actually sell for.

Mine sold pretty quickly a bit above the lowest list price at the time I had listed them, so people are buying them even if they shouldn't.

Savant on
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    That's some kinda crappy returns on those keys.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I've done over 100 Talisman maps and I'm still only at 1/8. What a horrendous RNG mess.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    as I recall Talisman was in a pretty good place as far as overall game balance at the time - it was right before ascendancy so the difficulty was higher - but I remember doing the math on how many you'd need to combine to get the highest tier and I just laughed

Never even tried to engage with the league specific stuff during that one

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Talisman definitely seems pretty lame compared to a lot of other leagues.

• Options
    Talisman definitely seems pretty lame compared to a lot of other leagues.

The talisman monsters were interesting and dangerous and the items could be really good!

Upgrading them was a complete waste of time though

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    The leaguestone has a 20% chance for a circle, so you get one for every 5 maps you do, which in turn nets you a random T2 talisman. From there you need 5 T2 talismans with different bases to summon a T3 talisman boss. So you're doing about 30 maps per T3 boss.

If you're unlucky and keep getting the same T2 bases (cough cough I have 9 of one type) then the last circle was wasted because you can't do anything with it. The boss you get is also random, so I'm sure once I have 4 or 5 done I'll keep running into ones I did before.

• Options
    Say what you will but I bought a fine mana implicit Talisman with 80 life and 40 cold resist (or thereabouts).
    Talisman is a boon to Hidden Potential.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Weird, I've gotten 4 T2 Talismans of the same base without ever getting a stone circle. Must have been an affix on my Talisman leaguestones.

• Options
    You can get it as a mod but they're 5-10c each.

• Options
    Ripped at 94 to double boss Overgrown Ruin. Hadn't done the map before so I didn't realize double boss was actually quadruple boss; killed two then walked up to loot and got smushed. Not sure what to reroll into, maybe I'll go HoWA after all. Animate Weapon is pretty good too though...

• Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    Ripped at 94 to double boss Overgrown Ruin. Hadn't done the map before so I didn't realize double boss was actually quadruple boss; killed two then walked up to loot and got smushed. Not sure what to reroll into, maybe I'll go HoWA after all. Animate Weapon is pretty good too though...

My awesome isn't for your RIP, but for reaching 94 in a temp hardcore league and then yolo'ing twinned Overgrown Ruin without ever having run the map before.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Mechanically my build is super brain dead, I literally stood behind my minion while they killed shit. If I'd realized there was more scary stuff in the room I would have stayed in the corner a little longer.

E: Also the fact that my 8 mod T15 challenge completed was slightly misleading.

Yilias on
  • Options

My awesome isn't for your RIP, but for reaching 94 in a temp hardcore league and then yolo'ing twinned Overgrown Ruin without ever having run the map before.

isn't that the one with the boss that revives?

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Overgrown Ruin has the Chaos warband bosses, so it's like Shipyard/Beacon where there is one nasty named dude and then 3-4 fairly nasty henchmen. Though in this case there are two named dudes, or in the case of double boss, 4 named dudes.

One of the chaos dudes summons minions with auras that wreck face.

A few patches ago one of the chaos critters could do a detonate dead but I think they nerfed that because it was super overpowered with all the unique bodies in there. I know it one shot my 6.5k hp slayer at least twice.

• Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    How are people buying and selling league stones? Couldn't find them on poe.trade.

• Options
    they are on poe.trade

it looks like the developer added a type "leaguestone" as well

• Options
    Man, looking at how blade flurry works makes me wish I had initially rolled a character using that to start the league. Oh well! At least my blight character is steadily coming along.

• Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    Everyone, I found Sin's Rebirth and it seems like it's 6-9ex in LSC. Instead of selling it, I'm thinking I should do a chaos build. Anyone have some suggestions on a chaos build that can do the Guardians + Shaper?

• Options
    Everyone, I found Sin's Rebirth and it seems like it's 6-9ex in LSC. Instead of selling it, I'm thinking I should do a chaos build. Anyone have some suggestions on a chaos build that can do the Guardians + Shaper?

Grats! I had to look up what that item even did, but you could try to make an Ichimonji build!

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Explosive Arrow Witch is going well.

As soon as I hit Blood Magic, shit started going well.

Now, some more defense and HP and I'm coming for you, Izario.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Sins Rebirth is nice for King of the Forest, I played that some at the end of breach league, I liked it.

You could also do a phys-scaling blade flurry assassin.

EK with new jewels that make the projectiles fire in a circle would be nice too, though I haven't seen anyone do shaper or guardians with EK.

mccart on
  • Options
    Going to just run a QotF BV PF and do lab runs until I can decide on a new mapping build. I'm probably going to copy this guy's Hidden Potential version unless you guys have a better suggestion. I've got about 1k chaos banked up but if I can do lab on a 30c budget I might as well just save it for the next build.

8 challenges left; Perandus, Talisman, Prophecy, Warbands, Tri-League Maps, Uber Atziri, Shaper, Grinds
    I can buy most of those with currency from lab, either leaguestones or the Uber/Shaper kill. So I just need a character that can do Guardians/Breachlords/Atziri and another one to Shield Charge through Strand 600 more times.

I don't like attack builds much, which is kind of awkward because they tend to scale better. Grand Spectrum Flameblast is appealing, or just another ED Occ. I wanted to play a Freeze Pulse Inquisitor but even with the new jewel it seems like a weaker choice than just going Flameblast. I've heard about some kind of 'everything is on fire' CWDT Firestorm Berserker too but I don't know much about it.

• Options
    That's? I don't see any blues on that guy. That's Hidden Potential?

• Options
    edited March 2017

I don't think it's specifically for chaos builds, per se.
    Just seems like a generally useful physical flask like Taste of Hate.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    He has a level 89 Pathfinder there with blue gloves, jewellery, and helm.

• Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular

I don't think it's specifically for chaos builds, per se.
    Just seems like a generally useful physical flask like Taste of Hate.

Yes, but since I have it, it would be interesting to go all-in on the chaos damage route.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    One of the thoughts that has occupied me from time-to-time with Path of Exile is that chaos orbs are weird.
    By weird, I mean, why doesn't a scouring orb and an alchemy orb equal a chaos orb in the way that everybody assumes that two dimes and a nickel are equal to a quarter?
    Outside of bench-crafting, it's functionally the same thing. (I guess maybe there's a huge supply of alchemies compared to the supply of scours and chaoses, but still.)

So imagine, if you will, that there's a game studio that had a Grand Idea. This grand idea is that you would keep simulated game economies from falling into a stagnant deflationary spiral by making the currency useful for other things, like crafting. Because the currency would have diverse effects, you would have a diverse barter economy. And because using them destroys them, the currency deflates itself to balance the supply being generated by players.
    And so currency orbs were born. Except that, one of these orbs, has in effect, become the de facto store of value and coin of the realm. No piss off with your beads, we only accept chaos orbs here.

This too, I find kind of weird. Why the chaos orb?

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I guess its rarity and utility falls somewhere in the middle, so it becomes a natural measuring unit when calculating the relative value of the others. You get enough of them to make them a valid price for most people to pay - 10-30c can get you various uniques that some builds need for mapping.

Look at this - we are getting closer looks at the monsters of Act 5.

So, new takes on "snow monsters" and a bevy of angryslaverychurchnazis. I think I am going to enjoy pulping them. They look mean.

Absalon on
  • Options
    Finally transitioned to CI with my blight occultist! With the help of @Mccart and some thrifty shopping, I've started out with nearly 10k ES. Now I can focus a bit more on upping my damage a bit again and still trying for a six link.

• Options
    I believe the de facto currency used to be GCPs, but the demand destabilized she the lvl 20 > 20 qual recipe was discovered.

• Options
    I believe the de facto currency used to be GCPs, but the demand destabilized she the lvl 20 > 20 qual recipe was discovered.
    There was a thread that basically went:
    "Yeah but what do they GCP's do really? Just kind of give incidental bonuses to like gems and stuff."

I have a hard time imagining that people use chaos orbs for anything when they could just buy a lot of scourings/alchemies to do the same.
    And then all the chaos orbs disappear into a hole somewhere when they quit the league.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    There was a thread that basically went:
    "Yeah but what do they GCP's do really? Just kind of give incidental bonuses to like gems and stuff."

I have a hard time imagining that people use chaos orbs for anything when they could just buy a lot of scourings/alchemies to do the same.
    And then all the chaos orbs disappear into a hole somewhere when they quit the league.

Master crafting and Zana mods use chaos differently than scours and alchs so that's a small part of it. Chaos orb master crafting mods like flat chaos dmg on jewelry is popular right now and that's 13 per attempt

I think the completely optional role chaos orbs play is the majority of the reason for them being the default currency. Fusings and most other orbs are things you'll naturally use to progress with items you find, chaos (and divines, exalts, vaals, blesseds) are only used when min maxing for optimal gear. Chaos are just the most common of those.

And then there's the chaos recipe which lets you generate currency by vendoring trash loot in the late game at a reliable pace.

You can also use scours on meta crafting while alchs and chaos can't so scours have a fundamentally different role outside of the alchs/chaos relationship

Edit: ultimately what it comes down to is that until you're in the late game optimizing your gear you don't ever need to use chaos so having them as de facto currency gives them an early game utility. Demand for them always spikes later in leagues as more people are using Zana mods (although not in Legacy because lolZana) and doing master crafts and there are fewer overall casual players generating them via drops and chaos recipe.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Looks like I've got a long climb ahead of me to get my build totally done.

It's gonna be expensive af to really endgame with it.

(Got enough jewel sockets to go Primordial, get 2 more golems to stack with Leige of the Primordial, but fuck those jewels are expensive)

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Hey, so I think I've finally got a friend of mine to install this and will be trying out the league. He hasn't played since the time they introduced Scion (and he didn't really like the game back then), so a lot has changed and I want to hopefully get him to stick around. He's looking for a pretty tanky build with decent DPS (aren't we all?) that's most likely melee oriented.

So at the moment I was digging through Mathil's builds, thinking he might like the Ice Crash slayer or maybe even spectral throw or frost blades if those skills interest him. What might be some other decent builds that'll at least get him to yellow maps comfortably so that I can get him hooked? I'm thinking something with a decent power curve, not something you suffer through the early levels before you explode in power (like CoC), as well as not expensive to build, since the trading system in the game is gonna be rough on a newcomer.