As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Path of Exile]Bestiary League begins on March 2nd

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    My ED Occultist has hit a pretty solid wall close to level 89. I do lack my last ascendancy points and I haven't adapted two curses+Pain Attunement yet, so I still have room to grow, but I definitely lost momentum. A big issue is that I don't kill bigger threats quickly and since bosses are starting to throw a whole bunch of adds, area damage and "damage-patches" around my energy shield never starts recharging quickly enough. I don't mind the Shavronne's/High ES playstyle but I needed a different damage output even though I usually like Essence Drain a lot.

Next league I should go melee I think. I've tried summoning, RF totems, Tornado Shot, ED Trickster and Occultist as well as inquisitor, so melee should be a nice change that feels more direct and tanky.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Is there a list anywhere of what beasts are valuable? I can recognize the portal beasts and the farric frost hellion but I don't really know what's worth catching or not beyond that.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    The same thing has happened to me this league that happens every league. I get to T9-T10 maps and just burn out and want to play other games. Blehh, I want to kill Shaper eventually, but it just becomes a slog. I have tons of currency, but my character is basically maxed out at this point besides spending 5 exalts on a better offhand stat stick for Reave and getting top tier life rolls on all gear to push my HP above 6K.

I think I really enjoy the character progression in this game, and when I stop leveling up or getting better gear and it turns into map progression, I just get bored.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    The same thing has happened to me this league that happens every league. I get to T9-T10 maps and just burn out and want to play other games. Blehh, I want to kill Shaper eventually, but it just becomes a slog. I have tons of currency, but my character is basically maxed out at this point besides spending 5 exalts on a better offhand stat stick for Reave and getting top tier life rolls on all gear to push my HP above 6K.

I think I really enjoy the character progression in this game, and when I stop leveling up or getting better gear and it turns into map progression, I just get bored.

Can't disagree. The only league I ever ran t16 maps was Harbinger because they made it relatively easy.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    the big problem is that this leagues mechanic is boring and kinda not really conducive to grinding unlike literally every other league pretty much

I think my biggest problem is that this mechanic feels like something that should've been in an update when a new league mechanic happened, not as a new mechanic

• Options
    Uber Elder is a way more important content change than literally all of Bestiary.

• Options
    like, bestiary is cool, and the leveling items and easier access to potential high-end epics is super nice

but it's fucking boring and the lack of loot explosions/huge xp is a big deal

• Options
    I actually like Bestiary and seeing the red skulls on the minimap but it is definitely an inefficient way to grind up to high tier maps. Also rarity is an issue. I've found crab and spider portal so far but given 2 portals and no idea how tough they are I haven't actually used them because I'll probably get wrecked and never see one again this league.

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    Scorpion is pretty difficult, I'd honestly say he's rippier than Guardians. I have yet to find the Cat portal and I've only 6 to go. Iirc he's insanely rare, probably going to cost multiple ex for his corpse.

• Options
    Aktn BstrdAktn Bstrd Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I'm just starting Beastiary. Haven't had the chance to look at anything POE related for a few months. Whats the new meta... or maybe a dumb easy build that you have to suggest. Maybe an easy mode lab runner or something? Any new abilities come out?

• Options
    T E C T O N I C J U G G

Also quad totems Inquisitor.

• Options
    Meta is Jugg RF, Summoners, Glacial Cascade Mines/Totems, and BF/Reave PF/Slayer. Phys to ele conversion still going a popular mechanic as is low red tier clearspeed mf.

They released Tectonic Strike which I've heard is bad. I think Volatile Dead too, but that might have been last league.

• Options
    https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2121227

They are reworking skills, and aim to start with nine revamped skills (presumably mainly the least popular ones) for 3.3.0 in June, with more revamps for every content update going forward.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Incinerate? Incinerate?! INCINERATE?!

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    Meta is Jugg RF, Summoners, Glacial Cascade Mines/Totems, and BF/Reave PF/Slayer. Phys to ele conversion still going a popular mechanic as is low red tier clearspeed mf.

They released Tectonic Strike which I've heard is bad. I think Volatile Dead too, but that might have been last league.

tectonic strike is fine, but isn't really worth it over EQ/sunder tbqh

it needs a little bit more oompf to really be worth the end charge cost

• Options
    Aktn BstrdAktn Bstrd Registered User regular
    Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to try to GC miner. I found a cheap guide that I'm going to give a shot: https://odealo.com/articles/3-0-starter-mom-chaos-glacial-cascade-miner-odealos-crafty-guide

• Options
    Yilias wrote: »

Here's the thing about meta. I made an RF Jugg but luckily I did it early so the gear was relatively cheap (Kaom's Way around 40c). Now Kaom's Way is like 200c (and you really want 2). Likewise, Essence of Horror is now like 1.5ex. So I'd make something else. The other downside is that it isn't super fast clearspeed so the money making will be a bit slower than something something Tornado Shot/EK Nova/Reave/A billion other possibilities. The upside is that it is a very tanky build so if you get frustrated dying all the time, this is your dude. Poet's Pen is like 20c so you could grab a couple of those and go ham. Very fun.

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Poet's Pen is like 20c so you could grab a couple of those and go ham. Very fun.

hehe

also i want them to add a million more cast on x gems

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I was thinking of what possible remaining Cast on supports are even feasible. On damage dealt? On sufficient amount of ailments applied to enemies? On x cumulative damage blocked, or evaded?

• Options
    what the hell is this patch

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Absalon wrote: »
    I was thinking of what possible remaining Cast on supports are even feasible. On damage dealt? On sufficient amount of ailments applied to enemies? On x cumulative damage blocked, or evaded?

cast on stun cast on freeze cast on ignite cast on minion attack cast on fedora

i want zombies that shoot lightning

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    what the hell is this patch
    3.2.1c Patch Notes
    Fixed a bug where the Captured Beasts page in the Bestiary did not display the correct beasts if the search box was cleared after highlighting all text.
    Legendary Beasts can no longer be spectred. This is being prevented as these beasts spawn waves of minions at specific health thresholds. When spectre'd, the minions spawned were able to be killed by the player, allowing the player to farm experience indefinitely.
    Legendary Beasts can no longer spawn with the Fractured Nemesis mod.
    Fixed a bug where unequipping Farrul's Fur did not update the reservation cost of a crafted Aspect of the Cat mod.
    Fixed a bug where supporting an item granting Aspect of the Cat with Faster Casting Support caused Cat's Agility to grant the cast speed bonus to the player.
    Fixed a bug where Apprentice and Journeyman Cartographer Sextants could be applied to an Elder Map.
    Fixed an issue causing Sunblast to have a level requirement of 16, rather than 37.
    Fixed a rare client crash that could occur when changing areas.
    Fixed an instance crash that could occur when capturing beasts.
    Fixed an instance crash that could occur when casting Convocation.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I made a thing.

It will be quint totem crit lightning tendril totems. Nothing fancy. Just didnt want to do DP totems. In act 6 and got a bit over 3k dps tooltip per totem without justice stacks. Can get it up to 400k pretty easily per totem I think with self flaggetion and soul mantle. We shall see how it goes.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    I actually like Bestiary and seeing the red skulls on the minimap but it is definitely an inefficient way to grind up to high tier maps. Also rarity is an issue. I've found crab and spider portal so far but given 2 portals and no idea how tough they are I haven't actually used them because I'll probably get wrecked and never see one again this league.

I have one chat at 89 and another at 80 and I have yet to run into a single portal monster :(

• Options
    Hit Zana 8 and rounded out my Encounters III to get the portal. Harbinger is surprisingly good, you get about 1 exalted shard per map which pays for half the mod alone. Bloodlines is still king though.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    So the Soul Mantle Self Flag Totem char is fun. Lightning Tendies with some AoE on it clears just fine. With conc on it deals the DPS. Im up to about 50kish dps with all totems in act 8.

Getting a crit charge restoreing flask of curse clearing is going to be the fun part. Its RIPy with all the curses but not too bad. Just have to make sure to clear the enfeeble and the totems usually just insta kill stuff.

I may have to swap out to that lightning explode chest at some point to try it out. But as it stands a 5L soul mantle is not that expensive, neither is self flag, and the only other uniques I plan on equipping are the wands (shimmers of course because lightning crit). Which are also cheap.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Pro: I got two curses up, Arctic Armour, and Clarity and Discipline with Blood Magic and Pain Attunement. The damage boost on my Essence Drain is vicious.

Con: Oh god my effective HP went from 8.8K to about 7.5, with Sin Trek. I need better ES gear while keeping up enough strength and dexterity.

Edit: Now at 8.1k just by replacing my old shield, and my dps is getting to 50k. But I wasted hundreds of alts trying to improve my jewels and I still need to respec my tree.

Absalon on
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Pro: I got two curses up, Arctic Armour, and Clarity and Discipline with Blood Magic and Pain Attunement. The damage boost on my Essence Drain is vicious.

Con: Oh god my effective HP went from 8.8K to about 7.5, with Sin Trek. I need better ES gear while keeping up enough strength and dexterity.

Edit: Now at 8.1k just by replacing my old shield, and my dps is getting to 50k. But I wasted hundreds of alts trying to improve my jewels and I still need to respec my tree.

oh my, i'm such an idiot. I've never thought to use alteration orbs on blue jewels before. Please ignore the hundreds of hours played on my steam page.

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »

oh my, i'm such an idiot. I've never thought to use alteration orbs on blue jewels before. Please ignore the hundreds of hours played on my steam page.

Don't worry, my friend and I had the same revelation when it came to strongboxes.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Spent 9c a shield that was roughly a 900 armor upgrade, almost double, for my SST guy. It's probably the most expensive item I've bought, certainly the most expensive since I moved to Xbox, and it was so hard to pull the trigger. Never mind that I've got 3ex sitting in my stash i kept coming up with excuses, "it's 3/4ths of my chaos on hand, it's got the wrong resist, etc". Felt real good to finally pull the trigger.

Also, bought a new shield and now I have 185 fire resist and 45 cold....

• Options
    I have been doing a 2x Void Battery Freezing Pulse Assassin, and bought a hubris circlet with 40% damage for 14c. I dropped a single essence on it and got this bad boy:
    s1dmfh3nc4ey.png

• Options
    I have been doing a 2x Void Battery Freezing Pulse Assassin, and bought a hubris circlet with 40% damage for 14c. I dropped a single essence on it and got this bad boy:
    s1dmfh3nc4ey.png

Nice hat. I keep going back to my shatter character. I did freezing pulse totems a couple leagues ago so I changed it up with my poets but I can see that having some top end dps.

• Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    s1dmfh3nc4ey.png

Nice hat. I keep going back to my shatter character. I did freezing pulse totems a couple leagues ago so I changed it up with my poets but I can see that having some top end dps.

Shattering is so much fun. I am freezing even uber lab Izaro with a frost bomb down.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    This sure was a weird one... entered a map, wiped a pack of weak zombie things and every last one of them dropped a rare spike point arrow quiver
    niCF4fX.jpg

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    You killed a Keepers of the Trove bloodline pack.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    I think a future content update should include an NPC that introduces you to the lesser deities/spirits that were freed after the Beast dies.

Said spirits can give you Favors that changes your drops a bit, for example "Dropped equipment is x % more probable to have an additional socket" or "Maps are x % more likely to be rare". But, for every Favor you choose, you have to pick another spirit to shun, and they express Jealousy by hurting another section of drops, such as "Dropped Jewels are x % less likely to be rare" or "Unique items are x % less likely to drop".

That way, you can change your probabilities at will depending on what you need or want to farm. There could be spirits that give dropped items higher or lower levels depending on whether you have their Favor or Jealousy, or a spirit that increases or lowers the chances or rarities of dropped divination cards, and so on.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    This game seems pretty awesome! I finally gave it a real shot after a lot of D2ing and D3ing, and just finished Act 10 with my first character; a glacial cascade totem Hierophant. The build seems really awesome so far! The act bosses were all hilariously easy, and the clear speed so far has seemed equally silly. The guides were definitely right about it being a great starter build, as I pretty much just went for capped resists and mildly decent skill links and most of my gear is really terrible. I've been running two level 25-35 wands the entire time, and haven't done any trading at all. Now that I'm about to start mapping I'm going to grab some cheap upgrades on poe.trade and see how much farther I get before I hit a wall.

The story was surprisingly good after the trainwreck that was Diablo 3, which was a really pleasant surprise. Is the guild still doing stuff? If so, I'm Fiatil on softcore Bestiary and would love an invite!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    My friend found a tiger last night so I'm at 37/40 now. I just need to do 880 more maps, 73 Atziris, 35 Shaper/Guardians, and catch 6 pokemon plus a tiger and I'll be done. I guess the only goal left at that point is doing a comfortable deathless Uber.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Yummy, Essence Drain now at 55k dps. I still haven't beat Uber Labyrinth yet. Tri-cursing enemies with Witchfire Brew will require some flask tapping but putting Enfeeble and Temporals on everything around me will be very convenient.

Absalon on
  • Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    Yummy, Essence Drain now at 55k dps. I still haven't beat Uber Labyrinth yet. Tri-cursing enemies with Witchfire Brew will require some flask tapping but putting Enfeeble and Temporals on everything around me will be very convenient.

just curious, how do you calculate your actual DPS? we're running very similar builds, I've been messing around with uber lab farming and red maps but I'm still pretty uninformed on actual endgame stuff