As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Raindrop/ [JOB] talk/ Typin' up reports in the hotbox

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Ideally I'd like to cover my library in cameras then look them up to find exactly who left junk then individually call them down to the library and make them pick that crap up.

Obviously that would cost lots of money, and require lots of effort on my part.

I was thinking next year start by telling students that they can have food and drink, just not near books, so long as they make sure the trash gets in a can. Then put up a big sign with the number of days they make it then shut it down for the month if anyone fails.

Make them police it themselves if they want that option.

Face recognition software.
    ED-209 for enforcement.

Problem solved!

Loathe as I am to reference Family Guy, they successfully templated how this would go.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    This is a rather unique job. Previous day I was sent to speak with an inmate to collect trust withdrawal forms for a photography fundraiser they're participating in. I returned empty-handed because the EOP inmates hadn't completed theirs yet. EOP means Enhanced Outpatient Program and they are basically mental health inmates. Not bad enough to be sent to a specialized facility but enough that they can be unpredictable. So I intended to come back the next day.

The next day I go back and again return empty-handed because that inmate was beaten up by the EOP inmates and is now in the clinic. So that's a thing that happens here.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Ideally I'd like to cover my library in cameras then look them up to find exactly who left junk then individually call them down to the library and make them pick that crap up.

I was thinking next year start by telling students that they can have food and drink, just not near books, so long as they make sure the trash gets in a can. Then put up a big sign with the number of days they make it then shut it down for the month if anyone fails.

ED-209 for enforcement.

Problem solved!

Loathe as I am to reference Family Guy, they successfully templated how this would go.

Would you rather we go back to discussing how and when you can go to the bathroom, and other arbitrary rules?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Please no.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    My coworker needs to learn how to be quiet and listen. We were having a problem with one of our core programs. He immediately jumps in and says, "I'm going to go fix this (completely unrelated section)." I tell him to hold on because I'm pretty sure it's a different problem. He runs off and starts working and ignores me.

4 hours later he comes by, "I think I have a fix for the problem."

"Oh, that. Yeah. I fixed it and rolled out the fix 3 and a half hours ago."

I did enjoy the look on his face after I said that.

• Options

ED-209 for enforcement.

Problem solved!

Would you rather we go back to discussing how and when you can go to the bathroom, and other arbitrary rules?

Rather that than what?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    So because my boss is away, it is apparently my week to only get negative confirmations of things. X can't happen because Y, Z is totally impossible because the device in question is (shockingly!) not meant to be interfaced to a logging server via accessory outputs run through a telephone patchboard, and so on.

At least this is all informative!

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I am so rusty at interviews, but hopefully my latest HR screener went well. Have another interview next week. Hope to get an offer before I hit severance, but we shall see!

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    we do have a kid who is trying to do his own opt out by simply not coming to school. well, we were talking to the kids actually taking the test that I think it's a good idea(because it is) and being out isn't going to save you because there are make up days. their response was "boy he's going to be pissed". ayup

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Jars wrote: »
    we do have a kid who is trying to do his own opt out by simply not coming to school. well, we were talking to the kids actually taking the test that I think it's a good idea(because it is) and being out isn't going to save you because there are make up days. their response was "boy he's going to be pissed". ayup

The student is allowed to refuse the test and it still gets marked with the same refusal, I believe. At least, that is what my admins have been operating with. EDIT: But this is if they are actually present and state they are refusing it.

Goose! on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    The board we have where people write in suggestions has turned into total anarchy, as is the way of things around here. It started innocently with cups, to beverages, to beer, to scotch, and finally to a full service bar. I can't wait to see how far it goes.

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »

The student is allowed to refuse the test and it still gets marked with the same refusal, I believe. At least, that is what my admins have been operating with. EDIT: But this is if they are actually present and state they are refusing it.

sure, but even if you refuse you still have to sit in the testing area for the required amount of time. to which my response is of course if you have to sit there anyway take the damn test, but that would make too much sense

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    The board we have where people write in suggestions has turned into total anarchy, as is the way of things around here. It started innocently with cups, to beverages, to beer, to scotch, and finally to a full service bar. I can't wait to see how far it goes.

There was a painted forest mural in one of the buildings where I worked. This was painted because there were no windows in this building and it was meant to liven up the place.
    Well someone I guess printed out and taped up a storm trooper and placed him into the scene. That guy stayed for like 2 weeks, and then in like 2 days the mural erupted with all kinds of crazy stuff like the death star in the sky, AT-AT's, a legion of stormtroopers, etc.
    Leadership was piiiiiiiiiiisssssssssedddddd. Mostly I think because they didn't notice it until after a big wig toured the area and commented on it.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Goose! wrote: »

sure, but even if you refuse you still have to sit in the testing area for the required amount of time. to which my response is of course if you have to sit there anyway take the damn test, but that would make too much sense

It's amazing how much value kids place into empty gestures that only really hurt themselves.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »

There was a painted forest mural in one of the buildings where I worked. This was painted because there were no windows in this building and it was meant to liven up the place.
    Well someone I guess printed out and taped up a storm trooper and placed him into the scene. That guy stayed for like 2 weeks, and then in like 2 days the mural erupted with all kinds of crazy stuff like the death star in the sky, AT-AT's, a legion of stormtroopers, etc.
    Leadership was piiiiiiiiiiisssssssssedddddd. Mostly I think because they didn't notice it until after a big wig toured the area and commented on it.

Was the comment, "Fuck YEAH!"?

Friend giving me an opening, not in a resume writing mood but so happy I exercised this morning and got energized.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    My coworkers and I have jobs through probably the beginning of next year, and then we'll be cut loose with a nice severance package. Sometimes we talk about future plans/what's next. I was having such a conversation with one of my coworkers over IM, and I vented a little about how I love programming but hate the 9-5 office paradigm, so I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do. Discussion ensued, and I let it slip that I've felt this way for all of the 6+ years I've worked here. Dude said something to the effect of, "Honestly, if you've felt that way since you started, you probably should have left long ago."

I know he meant well - and he's not wrong - but ouch :(

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I ordered some new TV remotes that should have arrived yesterday. When I looked up the tracking info, for some reason the package originated in Texas, then had to go to Kentucky... on its way to Utah. Makes perfect sense.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Intense self loathing whenever I write my resume or linkedin profile. The things that made me great and smart make me a poor fit for these forms and I'm trying not to drive my head through a wall.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Oh taxes, how I hate you.

Usually I pay about $175 in income tax and $86 in SSC tax.

I got a $1000 bonus this check, and paid $394 in Federal and $136 in SSC. Thats a big chunk of the bonus I got! Stupid taxes.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I ordered some new TV remotes that should have arrived yesterday. When I looked up the tracking info, for some reason the package originated in Texas, then had to go to Kentucky... on its way to Utah. Makes perfect sense.

UPS?

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Oh taxes, how I hate you.

Usually I pay about $175 in income tax and $86 in SSC tax.

I got a $1000 bonus this check, and paid $394 in Federal and $136 in SSC. Thats a big chunk of the bonus I got! Stupid taxes.

Yeah, bonuses are taxed like crazy. Usually why if possible, its recommended to try and swing that into pay increase instead of bonus.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

Co-worker ordered something trucked in to Seattle from Boise. Instead of going Boise to Portland, it went Boise to SLC to San Francisco to Seattle. So that it could be tendered to an airline taking it to Los Angeles.

Co-worker got so frustrated.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Guess who had to stop a 6th grade boy from punching out another 6th grade boy.

Spoiler: It was me.

Today in my last period of the day one boy kept being disruptive to class and another boy just had his fill of it. So he started screaming at the boy to stop talking so they could finish the class-wide project. The disruptive student, well... He doubled down and was even more disruptive.

And so the agitated student made a b-line towards his classmate and I got in between the two of them. The agitated student tried lifting the student's desk (with him still in it) till I told him to stop & remove himself from the situation, so he stormed out of the classroom & ran to the counselor's office.

And the disruptive student? Well he cried himself a storm...

I can only hope he took this as an educational moment.

In the adult world if you act like an ass and disrupt a group project, one of your coworkers may try to deck you in the face.

UPDATE

I spoke to the teacher who I subbed for when this happened.

The student who was disruptive continues to be disruptive!

He learned no moral lesson from his altercation!

EDUCATION EVERYBODY!!!!!

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The TV remote I got years ago is the bomb it controls the TV the blu ray and the sound system {if it was hooked up}
    Sadly I may have to replace it as it's starting to wear out

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Guess who had to stop a 6th grade boy from punching out another 6th grade boy.

Spoiler: It was me.

Today in my last period of the day one boy kept being disruptive to class and another boy just had his fill of it. So he started screaming at the boy to stop talking so they could finish the class-wide project. The disruptive student, well... He doubled down and was even more disruptive.

And so the agitated student made a b-line towards his classmate and I got in between the two of them. The agitated student tried lifting the student's desk (with him still in it) till I told him to stop & remove himself from the situation, so he stormed out of the classroom & ran to the counselor's office.

And the disruptive student? Well he cried himself a storm...

I can only hope he took this as an educational moment.

In the adult world if you act like an ass and disrupt a group project, one of your coworkers may try to deck you in the face.

UPDATE

I spoke to the teacher who I subbed for when this happened.

The student who was disruptive continues to be disruptive!

He learned no moral lesson from his altercation!

EDUCATION EVERYBODY!!!!!

sadly he will learn as an adult far too late

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I've subbed at this school about 10 times now.

I'm not going back.

Kids were disrespectful, called me names, called me a fat ass, weren't listening, wouldn't follow directions. Ended up calling one kid, who kept saying no after every direction I gave them, a dick. Mentioned that to the principle and she gave me some attitude and said "you're not supposed to do that."

"Yeah." And just kinda shrugged my shoulders. I was pissed. I was going to walk out if she gave me any shit for it. She didn't, and I know I'm not supposed to, but man they pushed my buttons and I couldn't manage the class. The other coach didn't help much other than call the principle down.

And that was the first 15 minutes of an hour and a half class.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Decision day!

The website's down!

Fuckery!

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Man today wore me out.

I'd probably have cancelled the subbing I'm doing tomorrow if I wouldn't feel bad about the teacher and sub coordinators who wouldn't have me to come in.

God damn. What assholes.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    @Oghulk, I too had a rough day in the world of substitute teaching!

I subbed for a sixth grade English teacher again, whose classes in October were awful. Spoiler-alert: the children were still awful.

I managed most of the periods, and the morning was pretty good, but the last period of the day was just a jungle.

And I mean, I can discipline some kids but I can't send half a class up to the principal's office...

So I left some pretty detailed sub notes, and I'm subbing at the middle school tomorrow & Friday (for an ESL teacher, woo! It's a great gig!) so I'll chat with her.

• Options
    Thankfully every teacher at the school recognizes that the entire sixth grade class are assholes and a lost cause.

Seventh graders? Awesome, totally fine.

But the sixth graders... No... Just no...

• Options
    it's funny how my school gets the worst of the worst but it's easier to deal with them than a normal class because there are a lot more support systems in place. I'm not sure how I would deal with 20 kids that decided to be assholes that day. I'm a lot bigger than everyone else which doesn't hurt, but still

• Options
    it's funny how my school gets the worst of the worst but it's easier to deal with them than a normal class because there are a lot more support systems in place. I'm not sure how I would deal with 20 kids that decided to be assholes that day. I'm a lot bigger than everyone else which doesn't hurt, but still

oh I had 40 kids in this class

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Thankfully every teacher at the school recognizes that the entire sixth grade class are assholes and a lost cause.

Seventh graders? Awesome, totally fine.

But the sixth graders... No... Just no...

Oh, man, we had a class like that. The year before me. Just a shit sandwich from kindergarten to graduation. I'm positive more than half of them are in prison now.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Was feeling hopeful about a position where I got to the onsite interview stage but then the recruiter let me know today that they're going to hold off hiring for the spot until June. She did offer for me to come in to interview anyway for feedback purposes, and as much as I don't want to do it, it would probably be useful for future interviews.

It's been 8 months since I was laid off and I have nothing to show for it, which is incredibly disheartening. My unemployment runs out in a couple weeks and coupled with some personal shit that's currently going on, I don't know what I'm going to do.

Rayze on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

Are teachers allowed to say "well if you don't like it you can go home" because that's like my catchphrase

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Are teachers allowed to say "well if you don't like it you can go home" because that's like my catchphrase

I've definitely heard my principal send students home who refused to go to class.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Honestly if the principle had given me shit I probably would've asked if I can just let them loose in the parking lot because jesus fuck do something about this lack of discipline!

• Options
    edited March 2017
    TheStig wrote: »

I'd love to start saying my catchphrase around schools.

"Mr. C, you're hair looks weird. Maybe you need a hair-cut?"
    "Hey Sally, get bent!!!"

Zonugal on
  • Options
    nah, you tell them if you don't like it go tell your counselor or your parents. good way to highlight the absurdity of their complaint about how you won't let them play on the computer or whatever

• Options
    A conversation I had today with a disruptive student:
    Me: *after sending this student to another teacher's room for discipline, and seeing them outside the classroom* Hey, you need to get to that other teacher's room.
    Student: Yeah, ya see, the thing ab--
    Me: The thing is you're going to go.
    Student: You should really let me go outside, that's what our teacher does.
    Me: You want me to discipline you by letting you go outside with the bright sun & fresh air?
    Student: Yeah, it's really great & relaxing.
    Me: Oh I bet, but you're going to that other teacher's room.
    Student: You know, I have been acting a lot better for you than I do for my actual tea--
    Me: I'm going to cut you off because you used this line on me back in October so not only is it old but I STILL DON'T CARE.

Eventually that student left to go spend time in that other teacher's room OR SO I THOUGHT!

I asked that other teacher at the end of the day and yeah, that student never showed up. Straight up lied to me when he returned fifteen minutes later.

Maybe he went outside? I don't know but he was relaxed and much better SO FUCK IT.

This discussion has been closed.