As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Battlefield] - 2042 - Launches Nov 19th

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I just happened to get lucky with the K bullet vehicle kill. An already low health car drove by slowly while I was hiding in some brush sniping. One shot, explosion, done. It would never have happened if I had been trying for it.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Operations seemed to be working just fine when I played, I rolled through a bunch of different maps without having to change servers/select a new operation. I don't know if it matters, but I went with play any operation, I didn't specify which operation I wanted to do.

Edit: Also I'm on PC.

emp123 on
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    I'm having a good time again with the added weapon unlock challenges and class challenges (outside of the dumb requirements). They're much more fun to work toward than the weekly rotating medals that I can't choose. Just unlocked the intertidal shotgun! Still working toward the hellreigel defensive but man I can't seem to get the final blows often enough with the hellreigel.

I also really like most of the new maps. About the only one I'm iffy on is Galacia? The one with the giant open fields. Man it's hard to run 10 ft with snipers plinking at you.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    That huge open map is probably my favourite. There were definitely snipers but they were far outnumbered by the infantry variants since there really isn't a lot of good cover for snipers. You can spot those scope glints from across the map it's so open.

It kind of made it way more frantic because I was having to run from crater to crater to trench with all these rounds smacking near me as I went. And coming up over a hill to see 2 squads of guys moving down below and trying to take pot shots at them was awesome. Plus the art style makes it actually feel cold. All in all just a cool as hell map.

• Options
    Juggernut wrote: »
    That huge open map is probably my favourite. There were definitely snipers but they were far outnumbered by the infantry variants since there really isn't a lot of good cover for snipers. You can spot those scope glints from across the map it's so open.

It kind of made it way more frantic because I was having to run from crater to crater to trench with all these rounds smacking near me as I went. And coming up over a hill to see 2 squads of guys moving down below and trying to take pot shots at them was awesome. Plus the art style makes it actually feel cold. All in all just a cool as hell map.

I do like the winter theme! It's really great! And my preferred classes are assault or support so I tend to include medics, their their crazy accurate rifles, in the sniper mix since on that open map I get caught out of range a lot. Boy did I like the assault challenge! Looks like the medic and support are a bit dumber. I also repaired a couple tanks a lot and got no credit. Guess I have to repair my own? So much for the repair tool on the support class I guess.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nm, the repair tool counted. Just took awhile to show up I guess.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So these medal qualifications don't stack, huh?

That really sucks.

Been trying to knock out several at once and it's not tracking any of that shit.

• Options
    The way medals work in BF1 is really fucking stupid and I have no idea why they changed it up. Shit worked fine in every other Battlefield.

They have to know this since the weapon unlock challenges can all be worked on at the same time.

• Options
    emp123 wrote: »
    The way medals work in BF1 is really fucking stupid and I have no idea why they changed it up. Shit worked fine in every other Battlefield.

They have to know this since the weapon unlock challenges can all be worked on at the same time.

The medals is the one thing that drove me away once I unlocked most of the weapons. Had nothing to work on. I love these new assignments except now I'm on the second tier and fully appreciate the "wtf goal is this?!" I mean 5 syringe kills ok. It's five. But TEN crossbow He TANK kills? The hell?!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Started working on the hidden dog tags. Man if dice doesn't love their Obscure puzzles. Yeesh.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    new patch is really good.

Any pc players congregating anywhere?

i applied for the pa platoon...

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I'm in a deep Destiny 2 hole right now, but I still play from time to time. The game is a lot more fun playing as a group, but I think most of the PA crew, myself included, has been playing other stuff lately.

Good chance I'll be needing a break from D2 soon to get my sleep schedule back to normal or for some variety, but I'll try to start playing more soon. At least once of the new Medic guns, the Fedorov Avtomat, will really suit my playstyle.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Finally got my easter egg dogtags! Woo.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    pc bf 1 is a sad place

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Every multiplayer game on PC that isn't a MOBA or a Valve/Blizzard game is a sad place.

• Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    pc bf 1 is a sad place

I've never really had problems finding servers for normal conquest gameplay. Bf games have always been sparse when it comes to the outlier modes though.

253J736.png
  • Options
    WolveSight wrote: »
    pc bf 1 is a sad place

I've never really had problems finding servers for normal conquest gameplay. Bf games have always been sparse when it comes to the outlier modes though.

I've always come for conquest and not been disappointed. I'm enjoying my time. I do think the inaccurate weapons turned off a lot of people initially though. Once you get used to them it's fine, but it's very different from other shooters.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    The latest weapon changes have drastically changed the gunplay since launch.

253J736.png
  • Options
    I also like that thy added the new assignments instead of the weekly medals. I much prefer this method of goal seeking. I could hardly ever finish medals before a week was up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

they arent in yet either- the next patch is the big one.

No one i know is active was my sad comment. If it aint pubg or bliz/moba/d2 its dead

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

they arent in yet either- the next patch is the big one.

No one i know is active was my sad comment. If it aint pubg or bliz/moba/d2 its dead

Also, if it's not outside of most prime-time hours. I tend to play after midnight PTZ, and I'll be lucky if matchmaker will put me in more than two different servers. Hell, even around 10pm on a weekend, it'll sometimes repeatedly (we're talking 5 or more matchmaking attempts) shove me into the same server if I'm trying to avoid playing Suez (even after I've waited an additional few minutes between attempts). And I'm just trying to find Conquest-Base Maps...

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Oh I never, ever use the matchmaker on BF 1. I always go to the server browser and it's set to show only servers with 1-10 open slots. I tried operations and frontline, but both gametypes have rounds that are FAR too long for my usual playtime. the 30 min round is just about right.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ToyD wrote: »
    Oh I never, ever use the matchmaker on BF 1. I always go to the server browser and it's set to show only servers with 1-10 open slots. I tried operations and frontline, but both gametypes have rounds that are FAR too long for my usual playtime. the 30 min round is just about right.

At the usual time I play, the server browser is also of no help. Usually, it's a dozen populated servers: 2 that are full, 6-8 running Suez, and 2-4 that are just under half full. Lord help me if I actually wanted to play any of the They Shall Not Pass maps.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I only play conquest on PC and never have issues finding match through the matchmaker. I'd like to think the matchmaker does match me with people of a similar skill level. Every now and then I do get matches where one team never fills out to the full 32.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Cormac wrote: »
    I only play conquest on PC and never have issues finding match through the matchmaker. I'd like to think the matchmaker does match me with people of a similar skill level. Every now and then I do get matches where one team never fills out to the full 32.

Must be nice.

But, like I said above: it's not just the matchmaker, since it's also server browser that's woefully under-populated when I manually look for matches.

• Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Must be nice.

But, like I said above: it's not just the matchmaker, since it's also server browser that's woefully under-populated when I manually look for matches.

Not sure what to suggest. Is it a region thing? Sometimes I'll have to go ahead and show full maps and sit in the queue a short time. I've never ever not been able to find a match. I did have a stint the other day where I wanted a certain map for the Easter egg and could find no conquest severs of any kind on that particular map, but there always places to play.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Must be nice.

Not sure what to suggest. Is it a region thing? Sometimes I'll have to go ahead and show full maps and sit in the queue a short time. I've never ever not been able to find a match. I did have a stint the other day where I wanted a certain map for the Easter egg and could find no conquest severs of any kind on that particular map, but there always places to play.

US West...so region shouldn't be a thing. It's actually pretty common and one of the contributing factors why BF1 is the first Battlefield game I genuinely regret buying.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular

Must be nice.

US West...so region shouldn't be a thing. It's actually pretty common and one of the contributing factors why BF1 is the first Battlefield game I genuinely regret buying.

I've had this issue a few times, too. Quick match, no matter the game type, would put me in empty servers. The server browser would be practically empty, as well. I've had better luck more recently with both, thankfully, but the latter still never seems to show more than a handful of populated servers.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Hoo boy that Model 1900 Slug double barrel shotgun is my new favorite toy.

• Options
    For the region can you back it off to N America or the like to include east servers too? I have plenty of those in my list.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    For the region can you back it off to N America or the like to include east servers too? I have plenty of those in my list.

I actually do include east coast servers (all of North America). And if I want ~100ms ping time, I'll actually join one (which I was pretty much forced to do last night).

And, after playing for a bit last night (had to slog through sub-optimal servers), I've come to a few conclusions:

1) I think I'm done with the game until the weapon rebalance patch launches
    and 2) Tsaritsyn is hot garbage.

• Options
    Man... I LOVE the new winter russia maps. They are my favs so far. Still don't really like Galicia, but the rest are awesome. The one with the church in the middle is AWESOME for completing these weapon assignments. I also have noticed that my ping as it reads in this game is higher than any other game I play. Not sure what's up there or if it's a real read.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Man... I LOVE the new winter russia maps. They are my favs so far. Still don't really like Galicia, but the rest are awesome. The one with the church in the middle is AWESOME for completing these weapon assignments. I also have noticed that my ping as it reads in this game is higher than any other game I play. Not sure what's up there or if it's a real read.

Yeah, that's Tsaritsyn. Now, if you're on the team that starts in the northwest (or rather, upper-left corner on the map), sure...it'll be great. But every single time I've been on that map (mind you, this is across multiple servers and teams), I've been on the team in the lower-right corner, and it's been a totally lopsided shit-show. How lopsided? Well...across multiple matches, the final score was 200 - 1000. And yes, this was all on full servers with the teams evenly matched. Between the limited paths to get out of the A flag, the smallness of the map, having only 3 cap points (where one team starts objectively closer to the middle flag)...everything just feels like it was made for a 32-player server (or maybe TDM/Domination). But for a 64-player Conquest map? Hell no.

• Options
    Well I will say that I haven't been on a team that's been stuck into the opposing side of the map, but I've had it go both ways on that one. I've just really enjoyed getting into that church and racking up the kills for unlocking stuff. That map is even better than amiens or argonne for quick kills. Plus I like how the elite stuff is scattered all around the outskirts. I do not, however like all the snipers being elevated around the outskirts too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    If you can get to the church it can be fun, but unless I'm on the team holding the church I usually spend the whole map dying to snipers trying to get to the church (or in a tank trying to flank which really only has limited success).

The map is pretty garbage for 64 player conquest, it really needs another couple of points. As it is now its basically sniper meatro.

emp123 on
  • Options
    while i definitely agree on the sniper bit, those trenches are lifesavers.

On a different note, I really REALLY do not like the 12g auto extended for unlocking the model 1900 slug. This 12g misses at point blank far far too often. Or if not point blank, at least very short range. It's by far the worst shotgun I've played with so far.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It seems impossible to win a game of Rush.

• Options
    Having done several unlocks over the weekend for the assault weapons I had never paid any attention to, as well as making it to 2/2 of the assault class service assignment, I think the 20 headshots with the MP18 Optical has by far been the hardest one. I see a lot of people using the unlock you get from that task, but man that gun, despite being the optical variant, is so inaccurate at any effective distance that I can't manage more than 2-3 headshots in a given game. Not to mention actually 1 shotting a prone person from distance with this gun is a non-starter. Looking forward to unlocking this so I can transition over to the support class unlocks for something fresh. I also disliked the Gasser and 12g automatic extended, but both of those went a bit faster than this headshot challenge is. Ugh.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm giving up on the "LMG two planes" one, as well as the sniper shield one. They are the anti-fun.

Man, I love this Model 1900 shottie though. Just rips people in half. Has me playing assault a lot more often than I normally do.

• Options
    I haven't even actually tried out any of the new guns. I did find out I love the automatico though. Man anyone I saw was dead. And I did find out you don't have to complete all the tasks to go to the next one and unlock the perk. You can unlock it with only 5/6 compelted. Then if you click on the assignment, it'll switch over to the next one. I was able to use my bayonet perk (ahahahahha) even though I still hadn't completed the "earn a weekly medal" task. The UI is a little funky in that regard though because it doesn't really indicate that it's unlocked or that you can click on the assignment to roll it to the next one.

steam_sig.png