As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Battlefield] - 2042 - Launches Nov 19th

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I third or fourth the 1900 being great. Well worth the slog. The Fedorav Avtomat is also a pretty gnarly gun. I'm not super impressed with the Nagant but the reload animation is cool.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    the federov is weird. works reasonably well but also like the older shotguns feels unreliable at times.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    Finally got all the assault guns unlocked with the Rib Eyerolls. Now on to support guns and assignments for awhile.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fall Battlefest is on. Community objective out today to go do 50 heals to get a gun skin!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    So what's the logic behind there being no server browser for operations? I'm on Aussie console and the Russian operations have been empty since launch, guess that's one achievement I'll never get

Like I can't imagine it's empty globally, so it's really frustrating that it prevents me from just finding a server for it, because no matter what I end up in a completely empty match every time, and it never fills up

Prohass on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Finally tried the new maps. Not too excited by them. Think the French maps were better

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    finally knocked out that assignment that required 3 headshots using the infantry SMLE and fuck that assignment forever good lord

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I like most of the new maps, especially Volga River, with the exception of Tsaritsyn.

Speaking of DLC guns, the Perino Model 1908 is ridiculous. The sight's a little hard to adjust to, but the gun itself is devastatingly accurate. I love it.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Yeah I really like the Russian maps and I'm glad people are finally voting on Lupov Pass again because it's a good map and I was tired of not being able to play it because everyone burned out on it during the preview period

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    The French maps were better overall imo. The color in particular was a welcome change. Soisson remains the prettiest map to me. I still really enjoy the Russian maps, with the exception of Tsaritsyn. That one is a god damn slog.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    I actually really like the Russian maps. I like the trenches and terrain variation and forests. The only one I don’t really like is the boat map.

Also re: challenges, I’ve been working through those too and some really do just suck. They aren’t fun to accomplish and they don’t get points.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    The Russian maps are fun but lack variety due to most being snow covered. There should of been some snow maps in the base game with Italy.

Albion is really unique, as are Galicia and Tsaritsyn despite not liking them as maps. The other 3 are nothing special, although I've barely played Lukow Pass.

The French dlc had better maps (especially if you count the 2 night maps) and added a better Vehicle (the heavy bomber seems to demand a full crew which never happens), but the Russian dlc killed it with the new guns (everything except the General Liu is a blast to use)

• Options
    holy crap I actually got the shoot down 2 planes with an LMG thing in one round today

was on Galicia using the Chauchat and happen to get two bombers down

have no clue how and I would have never gotten it if I had set out to try for it

• Options
    edited October 2017
    I set out to do it, my advice is to hang around near aa and try your luck getting the final damage when someone else is shooting planes. It's still a ridiculous requirement based on luck

Prohass on
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    The key to remember is you have to destroy the plane. Keep shooting it even if the pilot bails. Monte Grappa is super easy to do it on. You can soften them up with a nearby AA first if you’re struggling then hop off after you disable it and finish it with the LMG.

Konphujun on
    Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    You know what the real pain in the ass weapon assignment is? Get 15 kills with HE tripwire. Sure, a single use item that relies on the enemy running into it already being damaged. I basically had to set up purpose built traps and shoot at guys as they ran towards me and the tripwire

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    You know what the real pain in the ass weapon assignment is? Get 15 kills with HE tripwire. Sure, a single use item that relies on the enemy running into it already being damaged. I basically had to set up purpose built traps and shoot at guys as they ran towards me and the tripwire

Yep! There are a few like that for me too. The crossbow frg kills also get me because I’m a damn medic. I want to have the heal bag and the syringe. Not a ghetto grenade bow.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gah I thought I was done but there's a tank pistol you have to unlock with 40 damn kills in a specific light tank type, that'll take a while

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    Does BF1 in EA Access have any of the DLC?

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    Looks like just the base game. But there is a lot to that.

• Options

They are buffing the tripwire damage to make "assist counts as kill' easier to obtain with those.
    Gah I thought I was done but there's a tank pistol you have to unlock with 40 damn kills in a specific light tank type, that'll take a while

Say Whaaaaat?????? Light tank is the best tank! It chews up infantry like no other!

• Options
    edited October 2017
    I pretty much just lack the weapon assignments that require tripwire kills and mortar kills. And man I really don’t want to do those.

Ceno on
  • Options
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Looks like just the base game. But there is a lot to that.

Saw that it was in EA Access and for $30 it seems like a good deal.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Ceno wrote: »
    I pretty much just lack the weapon assignments that require tripwire kills and mortar kills. And man I really don’t want to do those.

The war pigeons, and other 'game mode' assignments are impossible to do on pc as there are no running servers. So.... that's fun....

Im pretty worried DICE no longer has it. Between battlefont 2's refusal to have squad's, loot boxes, and the development of BF1 being very tone deaf to the playerbase....

kinda just want to reinstall 4.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Maybe this happened earlier but having Operations start a new one at the end of the last is a great change.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Ceno wrote: »

The war pigeons, and other 'game mode' assignments are impossible to do on pc as there are no running servers. So.... that's fun....

Im pretty worried DICE no longer has it. Between battlefont 2's refusal to have squad's, loot boxes, and the development of BF1 being very tone deaf to the playerbase....

kinda just want to reinstall 4.

Dooooo eeeeet! Come back and play 4 (and/or Hardline) with me!

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Seems like dice has an issue with wanting to provide options, but it backfiring a bit when they require less popular modes for some requirements for things their biggest fans want.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    ToyD wrote: »
    Seems like dice has an issue with wanting to provide options, but it backfiring a bit when they require less popular modes for some requirements for things their biggest fans want.

The issue isn't that they want to provide options it's that they are required to provide them by contract with EA.

So they half-ass out a mode and then refuse to support it with any updates or improvements for months till the mode is long dead and then after they've finished plopping out the contract required DLC requirements they pass it off to another company to try and fix.

I honestly feel as though the only hope we have for a quality Battlefield game with the holding power of BF3 or BF4 is for DICE to actually lose the franchise and someone like DICE LA to take the lead. With BF1 and Battlefront 1 and Battlefront 1 DLC 2 it's becoming more and more obvious that EA is really pulling the strings of the dev team at DICE and pushing for a more and more casual game without any real depth and beyond some graphical polish no real soul. While it isn't intended to be a dig at console players EA views them as a prime audience as the game only needs to be really supported for around a month before the majority move on to the next release and they can keep the prime AAA pricing locked in as those consumers are stuck with no choices. When you have corporate handling the choices and saying "Well this game is popular on PC so let's port it to consoles and milk this cash cow" you have to make changes for the consoles and what they perceive what the "average" player wants and corporate feels that a pick-up-and-play zero learning curve and zero skill gap experience is what people want.

Take Obliteration in BF4 for example the mode is a solid mode and is a ton of fun to play if it wasn't for the fact that a corporate choice went into play, the choice that the player needs an "action beat" every 60 seconds or less and the shorter the gaps between there the better. Part of that was to hold the attention of the player and the other half of that is that if you have that "action beat" every 30-60 seconds the player will observe fewer flaws with the game. Because of this a "Para-Spawn" was added which allowed players to spawn directly over 2/3 objectives with zero penalty and use all equipment while in the air, there also was no penalty for suiciding and redeploying meaning people could do a rocket loop on any vehicles attempting to push as well as just force respawn whenever a push was occurring at an objective to just create this massive unfun clusterfuck meatgrinder that unless you were farming kills was a waste of time. What should and could have been a great teamwork orientated game mode just turns into a hot mess of a mode that couldn't hold a playerbase beyond a small handful of people.

Between poor design choices and a corporate hand pushing development choices the hopes of a decent future BF game are very slim if DICE is making it, even at this point the BFBC3/2143 crossover dream is something that I honestly don't want to see made if DICE is handling things as they've shown that a corporate contract means more to them than playerbase input. Until we have a more skill based shooter gain massive popularity (PUBG is helping this but EA is looking at the "battle royal" part as being the draw instead of a skill based game being the draw) where skill is rewarded and not punished and it forces players to either improve or just continue to be fodder you will continue to see the trend of games becoming more "player friendly" and devoid of skill. The majority of people from BF4 that I know have low hours in BF1 and Battlefront 2 isn't even on their radar as the trend appears to continue and instead of wasting $60 on it they've moved onto more skill based shooters.

iRevert on
  • Options

They are buffing the tripwire damage to make "assist counts as kill' easier to obtain with those.

Say Whaaaaat?????? Light tank is the best tank! It chews up infantry like no other!

Pretty much just after I posted this I got like a 30 kill streak in it

• Options
    Sowhat you are saying is we need the pubg version of battlefield to rock the system.

• Options
    You guys are making me wary of my purchase while I wait for it to finish downloading.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    You guys are making me wary of my purchase while I wait for it to finish downloading.

Eh, it's a good game. People are gonna complain no matter what.

I recommend giving Operations a go right out of the gate.

Edit: And I don't get the idea that BF1 is easier than 3 or 4. I loved them but they were much easier to get good at than 1. 4 especially catered to the COD player who needs a million attachments and very little difference in the way most weapons handled.

Mulletude on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Yeah, the simple fact that guns handle very differently between them in BF1 and that you can no longer just hold down the button and be accurate should be enough to show that. But no matter the game, it is always said to be dumbed down.

• Options
    Honestly, the idea that everything is TOO player friendly and devoid of skill is silly as hell.

Battlefield didn't start out as some crazy hardcore game. Starting with Bf1942 and BfV the games were not. It's not Operation Flashpoint or Arma or Red Orchestra(etc etc) and i'm very glad for that. There are games for the 'hardcore' out there.

And there is no way a casual or new player pops into a round of any Bf game and knows what the hell to do and just starts dominating.

• Options
    I wouldn't say the franchise is doomed, but even their big attempt to freshen things up has issues. It reminds me of the later CoDs, kinda half assing it cause they are on top with no competition or drive. It took a year for Operations to get an option to join in browser, and it came at the cost of the 40 player mode being cut. Seriously, the best thing they added in multiplayer suffers for a year and then they cut the better version of it. The hell?

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    ToyD wrote: »

Yep! There are a few like that for me too. The crossbow frg kills also get me because I’m a damn medic. I want to have the heal bag and the syringe. Not a ghetto grenade bow.

The map with the bunker on a hill that turns into a giant slog is perfect for that sort of thing. Let the enemy take the bunker, trap them in there, and just start dumping explosives into the doorway.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Sowhat you are saying is we need the pubg version of battlefield to rock the system.

Not at all, see EA views the "Battle Royal" format as being a cash cow right now because it's what is "in" right now. What they need to view is WHY the game is in (beyond replay-ability and whatnot) and why so many people from CS moved over to it. We need more skill based shooters to be the "in" game to really push them to change the stands on the casualization of the battlefield series, a push to punish players who put in time to learn vehicles and excel at them should not be a thing yet EA feels that this is "poor game design" and that players don't want to be stomped by people who are better than them so the skill curve should be as low as possible. While the battlefield series hasn't been exactly the pinnacle of skill based shooters there has been enough of a gap where people can excel at things and if their team supports that be rewarded. Where on the other side if a bunch of people run around like chickens with their heads cut off and don't focus on dealing with things they get punished.

The issue isn't recoil patterns it's the issue of people learning the maps, learning the vehicles/weapons, and just doing things to be a better player that are actively being attacked to remove that skill gap. Yes a new player isn't going to do well in a brand new game, but because you've put in enough time to be a rank 140 or whatnot doesn't mean you're going to be good at the game. When I look at half of the feedback from the CTE or people bitching about things the average stats of those players is well below average. When you have the lowest common denominator attempting to balance the game when they have no idea what the actual limitations of vehicles or weapons are you set yourself up for failure and the same goes from the other end of the spectrum from people with a heavy bias.

You should never be rewarded for doing poorly in a PvP type environment where everyone is on an even playing field, you also should never be trying to actively limit a skill ceiling for players because a FPS game shouldn't be a RNG who clicked firstfest and should rely on some forms of skill.

iRevert on
  • Options
    I'm just not getting where good players get punished for playing well? In every round I play, the really good players tend to make a big difference in the outcome of a round and get rewarded on the scoreboard.

I'm not trying to argue that you have to see it my way but I do feel some of the complaints are exaggerated due to EA being the publisher. And yeah, EA can be pretty garbage at times.

I also understand you are a high skill player. I would say I am 'good' at these games but I can't play at the level you do.

I think the issues you see are things I may just be blind to because when I play
    BF1 I love the chaotic nature of it and get wrapped up in the visual style that looks like colorized photos of the era.

I love shit like the airship crashing down on a point and changing the way you attack or defend it.

So anyways, this rambled on and I forgot where I was going.

Time to go play Operations. With the recent change I can get in on them from the start and that's all I need

• Options
    I finally got to play this last night. The Mud and Blood story was kind of frustrating so I jumped into Conquest and managed to go 21-8 and pull out a clutch win.

The game looks amazing and plays super smoothly. Still not sure how the unlocks and all work but I've got another month to figure it out. $5 for a month of EA Access is such a great way to try out games.

• Options
    I finally got to play this last night. The Mud and Blood story was kind of frustrating so I jumped into Conquest and managed to go 21-8 and pull out a clutch win.

The game looks amazing and plays super smoothly. Still not sure how the unlocks and all work but I've got another month to figure it out. $5 for a month of EA Access is such a great way to try out games.

So old vanilla guns (and kit) you buy with money you get from leveling and such- you can unlock them in any order. At level 10 you get 1 last vanilla gun unlock (still gotta buy). Newer dlc guns have redonk hard assignments to unlock them.

im mojojoeo on origin also- hit me up if you are going in and im on. love some battle mans.