As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Thread About [Pointless Arguments]

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    is the conveyor belt/aiplane thing just a matter of people arguing past each other and not defining the stakes of the question?

like, if the conveyor belt is actually capable of keeping the airplane stationary than it can't take off, but also no conveyor belt could do that. is that the whole debate? or am i missing something

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    This is why I don't post links from my phone.

Pretend I posted Monty Python's argument clinic sketch, please.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxrbOVeRonQ

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

People-Share-the-Most-Pointless-Arguments29-685x400.jpg

Look, I really don't give a shit about the rest of this thread, but goddam it's been several hours and I can't get this fish thing out of my head. I'm not sure I have an opinion, much less an argument, but my brain went "Could a fish swim in snow?" and now I haven't stopped trying to puzzle it out.

I...Think it depends on the size of the fish and the depth of the snow?

I just don't know. Someone help me

Can a fish swim in snow?????

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    No. Snow is compressible whereas water is not. Pushing the snow away from the fishs fins would not create a vacuum strong enough to replace the medium.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    is the conveyor belt/aiplane thing just a matter of people arguing past each other and not defining the stakes of the question?

like, if the conveyor belt is actually capable of keeping the airplane stationary than it can't take off, but also no conveyor belt could do that. is that the whole debate? or am i missing something

Probably not. Half the people think the conveyor belt could not impart force on the plane because the wheels move. The other half think that the plane pushes with its wheels. The proper answer is as above, the question is probably nonsensical; proposing a trio of things (frictionless wheels, no wind(and positive thrust), a conveyor belt that matches speed with the wheels) which cannot coexist.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Is this the [chat] argument catalog thread?

Five guys vs Wendy's
    Chili: beans or no?
    Toilet roll facing
    Martini: gin or vodka?

Perhaps the dumbest one I have argued is the proper way to fold a towel... with my whole family... for some years........

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Lots of traps in this thread. Not for me, though.

Totally unrelated, but everyone here uses the pool of ketchup method of dipping fries? I mean, it would be silly to squirt ketchup haphazardly all over the fries, and then eat them that way. Completely ridiculous.

Pool of ketchup, salt the ketchup instead of the fries. I will accept Tabasco on the fry-mass as variable quantities of spice distribution keep fries interesting.

I'm always fascinated by the toilet paper roll argument. Do you hang it sheet out or sheet flush with the wall?

I prefer salting (and peppering) the fries, because sometimes, I'll feel like a fry with no ketchup. Or adjusting the amount of ketchup. Or eating half of the fry with ketchup, and the other half without.

What... what is the McNugget problem? It's the same number of McNuggets for 5 fewer cents. Is there some question about the quality of McNuggets in different box sizes??

hippofant on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Toilet roll facing has a logical and illogical orientation tho...

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »

Five guys vs Wendy's
    Toilet roll facing

Perhaps the dumbest one I have argued is the proper way to fold a towel... with my whole family... for some years........

Eh, eh, eh, Gin. A martini with vodka isn't really a martini. Vodka is not for liquor forward drinks but drinks which need a dilution base that isn't flavored.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Me, reading this thread aloud: chili with beans...
    Belasco: oh now that's a serious argument
    Me: yes it is ... toilet roll facing...
    Bel: that is trivial.
    Me: hey, I have a strong fucking opinion about that!
    Her: ... *sigh* I know...

spool32 on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Five guys vs Wendy's
    Toilet roll facing

In n Out
    White palette, no chilla
    Outwards
    Teetotaler

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Is the tipping debate pointless? I've seen plenty of vicious arguments come up with that.

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Is the tipping debate pointless? I've seen plenty of vicious arguments come up with that.

I believe it is pointless but too incendiary. Much like circumcision.

Cilantro vs coriander tho......

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Well, it's pretty important to some people... namely those getting tipped.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Being pro tipping is being pro capital and first second against the wall when the revolution comes

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    This thread is a fucking nightmare and I won't be a part of it

Also Turkish and Lebanese are two distinct cuisines and there is no 'proper' accompaniment to a kebab as it is defined by the preparation of the meat.

(This nearly ended my relationship last night)

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

No

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Soda vs Pop vs Soft Drink vs Coke

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    Kirk v Picard
    Answer is Sisko

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I thought we weren't allowed to have another Democratic primary thread...

But for real it's .9999etc = 1. I can prove it to 8th graders, adults shouldn't be too stupid to figure it out.

A better question is whether .9999 repeating is technically even a number. I suppose you could define it as an infinite series of sums instead, which I guess would still work for the equality.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Toilet paper roll sits on top of the spool so you can hold it with one hand and pull with the other.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Kirk v Picard
    Answer is Sisko

Even Sisko thinks the answer is Kirk.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Kirk v Picard
    Answer is Sisko

Even Sisko thinks the answer is Kirk.

Voting for yourself is rude

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/forums/versus-debates.7/
    so much time that I will never get back

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    also tipping has an obvious solution.

Raise the price of every meal on average by 20%, pass that raise on to all currently tip-required workers in the form of an aberage salary increase and bar tipping altogether.

A waiter at a fancy steakhouse who really has to know their craft should be making high 5 figures a year without having to deal with the whole tipping nonsense, and people working tables at an applebees making 17.50/hr is much better than the inconsistency of working a lunch shift and maybe going home with 20 bucks because humans are monsters when given free will.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I once had someone try to argue that there is only one video game genre and it's RPG. All games are Role Playing Games because in all games you play some sort of role.

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Jesus you're not trying hard enough.

Star Wars vs Star Trek.

Which space navy would win?
    Which ship goes faster?

Hell is destroying the death star a moral thing?

https://youtu.be/iQdDRrcAOjA

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Was the Internet a mistake

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular

Five guys vs Wendy's
    Toilet roll facing

Whataburger
    No
    Outward
    Gin

easy.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    I thought we weren't allowed to have another Democratic primary thread...

But for real it's .9999etc = 1. I can prove it to 8th graders, adults shouldn't be too stupid to figure it out.

A better question is whether .9999 repeating is technically even a number. I suppose you could define it as an infinite series of sums instead, which I guess would still work for the equality.

it is a representation of the number 1, much like 1 is a representation of the number 1.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2017
    Goumindong wrote: »
    No. Snow is compressible whereas water is not. Pushing the snow away from the fishs fins would not create a vacuum strong enough to replace the medium.

I mean, eventually they'd fuck up the snow because the vacuum wouldn't replace the medium, but I don't think that shows that they can't push against it and move.

(I see crayfish perform swimming behavior (it's.. not how other animals swim though) through buckets of ice, so I'm not actually sure of the answer. I suspect that the increased resistance would be a big problem, though.)

Shivahn on
  • Options
    jimb213 wrote: »

Five guys vs Wendy's
    Toilet roll facing

Whataburger
    No
    Outward
    Gin

easy.

Few people Ace this quiz but you succeeded!

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Raise the price of every meal on average by 20%, pass that raise on to all currently tip-required workers in the form of an aberage salary increase and bar tipping altogether.

A waiter at a fancy steakhouse who really has to know their craft should be making high 5 figures a year without having to deal with the whole tipping nonsense, and people working tables at an applebees making 17.50/hr is much better than the inconsistency of working a lunch shift and maybe going home with 20 bucks because humans are monsters when given free will.

but how can i reinforce the master-slave relationship inherent to capitalism in a degrading fashion on a deeply personal level?

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »

but how can i reinforce the master-slave relationship inherent to capitalism in a degrading fashion on a deeply personal level?

Demands to see a manager,, every single time you buy something.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Vanguard wrote: »

Demands to see a manager,, every single time you buy something.

I demand to have the manager scan things for me, so I can glance dismissively and classistly at the cashier.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    jimb213 wrote: »

Five guys vs Wendy's
    Toilet roll facing

Whataburger
    No
    Outward
    Gin

easy.

HA! Found the Texan. Hello friend!

I eat breakfast cereal without milk. Everytime.

Ninjeff on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    I will 100% get heated with you over the improper use of decimate.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Five guys vs Wendy's

How is this even an argument

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    I will 100% get heated with you over the improper use of decimate.

So, would you say you could......decimate anyone elses argument?