As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rocksmith] Rocksmith Plus more money

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    The DLC for February 12th, 2019 is Sabaton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKQZnRhg9c8
    Sabaton /ˈsæbətɒn/ is a Swedish power metal band from Falun. The band's main lyrical themes are based on war, historical battles, and acts of heroism—the name is a reference to a sabaton, knight's foot armor. The armor and battle theme is heard in the albums Primo Victoria, The Art of War, Coat of Arms, Carolus Rex, Heroes, and The Last Stand in which all of the songs contain these motifs, except final tracks which are tribute songs to influential heavy metal bands. Lyrical content drawn from World War I, World War II and other historical conflicts is prevalent and lyrics often recite stories of heroic deeds by men and armies.

“Ghost Division” – E Standard - Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “40:1” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Primo Victoria” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

For whatever reason, I mentally put Sabaton closer to death metal. These tracks seems closer to faster symphonic metal, which is more appealing for me. Probably too fast for me at this point, but I can see this pack being fairly popular among non-fans. The E standard would help with that too.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    The DLC for February 19th, 2019 is 90s Mix V.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jium4wz_jvg

“Bodies” by Drowning Pool – D Drop C - Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass “
    Always” by blink-182 – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Stacy's Mom” by Fountains Of Wayne – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass

I think Bodies was the reason the local goth/alternative bar banned moshing on the dance floor back in the day...

Some fun songs, but probably not a pack for me. D Drop C is definitely not for me.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    HEUR WE GO HEUR WE GO HEUR WE GO NOOWWW ONE nothinwrongwitme

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Watched a Twitch streamer play through the new pack and they feel like Stacy's Mom is probably the standout due to the fun solo.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Watched a Twitch streamer play through the new pack and they feel like Stacy's Mom is probably the standout due to the fun solo.

Out of those 3, yes Stacy's Mom would be the most fun to play.

If I'm taking the time to go D Drop C/Drop C I'll play something a lot more interesting than early Drowning Pool, like some easier Children of Bodom or Sinergy:

https://youtu.be/gdwJSm2-a64

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    The DLC for February 26th, 2019 is Variety Pack XXI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09-UqkKIFPM

“Shimmer” by Fuel – E Standard - Lead/Rhythm; Drop D - Bass
    “The Regulator” by Clutch – Drop D – Lead/Bass; Custom: DADFAd - Rhythm
    “Found Out About You” by Gin Blossoms – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Werewolves Of London” by Warren Zevon – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

I don't mind the Gin Blossoms track, but overall it's a pass for me.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    an_alt wrote: »
    The DLC for February 26th, 2019 is Variety Pack XXI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09-UqkKIFPM

“Shimmer” by Fuel – E Standard - Lead/Rhythm; Drop D - Bass
    “The Regulator” by Clutch – Drop D – Lead/Bass; Custom: DADFAd - Rhythm
    “Found Out About You” by Gin Blossoms – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Werewolves Of London” by Warren Zevon – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

I don't mind the Gin Blossoms track, but overall it's a pass for me.

For the first time in a long, long time, I might buy a couple of individual songs instead of the whole pack -- Gin Blossoms (although I have to say that I have the worst time with the note highway on those fast arpeggio sections; is that just me?) and Warren Zevon. The other two just don't hold a lot of interest for me.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I'll definitely get Shimmer now, and probably Found Out About You in the near future (mainly because I haven't spent enough time with "Hey, Jealousy", because yeah, they're quite tricky).

Edit: Interesting.... I figured the spastic chords from the video for "Shimmer" were the lead part, but nope, they're rhythm. The lead does the power chords and mimics the cello parts, with a little lead flair at the end. It's quite fun.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    That (the arpeggios) is one of those places where I think that actual tab would be a heck of a lot easier to follow.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    That (the arpeggios) is one of those places where I think that actual tab would be a heck of a lot easier to follow.

Yep, I don't think it's tricky in and of itself, it's just hard sight reading it. I need to sit down with it in Riff Repeater, figure out the fingering, and then get the pattern down. It's mostly laziness on my part.

• Options

Yep, I don't think it's tricky in and of itself, it's just hard sight reading it. I need to sit down with it in Riff Repeater, figure out the fingering, and then get the pattern down. It's mostly laziness on my part.

That's pretty much exactly my situation as well, TBH.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

tbh I feel like this is basically the main reason playing guitar is hard to learn in the first place :P

• Options
    The DLC for March 5th, 2019 is Heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KSFsj8zWE0

“Alone” – E Standard - Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Straight On” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Alt Rhythm/Bass
    “What About Love” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

I'm a little disappointed in the track selection, but I'll pick it up because it's Heart. There are a few really powerful female singers whose voices I love, but find the band pretty weak. Thankfully Heart doesn't fall into that category.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    I'll definitely get Alone and probably What About Love. Don't know how fun they are to play, but I do like those songs quite a bit.

• Options
    Yeah, I don't know if it's the best track selection -- Alone and What About Love are a little on the MTV power ballad side, and are awfully similar in feel and tempo -- but all three are fun to play.

• Options
    I just played through Alone a couple of times, on Lead. It's exactly what I was hoping it would be. You're not playing the piano parts, you're just sitting there looking moody during the verses. The guitar starts playing along with the piano during the pre-chorus, but it's doing it's own thing. The chorus has my vote for the most satisfying power chords of all time. The solo is trickier than I anticipated. I'm going to have to work on it some more, but it's definitely doable. Overall it's a pretty short song with not a lot going on, but it's not one you play to challenge yourself, but because you like the song and want to pretend you're wearing lace gloves on MTV.

A cool thing I recently found out about is if you pause the game whilst in Riff Repeater (Esc on PC) you can move the note highway forwards or backwards with the arrow keys. It probably works during normal play, too, but I only tried it in RR. Ugh, the time I spent trying to pause solos as just the right spot.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure to fully appreciate Alone (and What About Love, for that matter) I should be wrapped around someone kind of swaying to an approximation of the beat in a high school gym.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Night Ranger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM9z-kTSqRk

“Sister Christian” – E Standard - Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Don’t Tell Me You Love Me” – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm /Bass
    “(You Can Still) Rock In America” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Time to work on my pinch harmonics. I remember liking them well enough back in the day but thinking they were kind of Journey-lite, but there's an awful lot going on in those guitar parts. (Which isn't to throw any shade on Neal Schon; and I'd love to see a pack with, say, Stone in Love and Wheel in the Sky and one or two others.)

JOE_1967 on
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Omfg!!!!! Don’t tell me you love me is my jam. Especially when working out. That driving beat!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    OK, they had some pretty great guitar players in Night Ranger, didn't they?

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    OK, they had some pretty great guitar players in Night Ranger, didn't they?

Yes, the primary run they had was with Brad Gillis and Jeff Watson trading licks and it was mesmerizing. Gillis was a replacement touring guitarist for Ozzy on the latter part of the Diary of a Madman tour after Randy Rhodes died when Night Ranger was getting their first national push.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Sister Christian makes me want to pick up the guitar again after not playing for awhile

• Options
    The DLC for March 19th, 2019 is 70's Mix V.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9fZIXjTTYc

“Brick House” by Commodores – E Standard - Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Maggot Brain” by Funkadelic – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm
    “Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress)” by The Hollies – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass

I like all those songs well enough, but I've hurt myself without trying to play Maggot Brain and those five fret streches in Long Cool Woman look to be a bit much. For people with larger hands and talent, this looks like fun.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    The DLC for March 26th, 2019 is Radiohead III.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3hc65dBfiM

“Fake Plastic Trees” – E Standard - Lead/Rhythm/Alt Rhythm/Bass
    “Jigsaw Falling Into Place” – Custom Tuning: Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm; E Standard – Bass
    “Airbag” – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass

It looks like a relatively friendly pack. I imagine a lot of Radiohead fans will be picking up this one.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    Heh, I don't recognize any of those songs. I guess you could say I'm not a big Radiohead fan. ;)

• Options
    Also not familiar with them, but it looks fun and they're all in standard tuning, so why not?

• Options
    Also not familiar with them, but it looks fun and they're all in standard tuning, so why not?

The second one is only E Standard on bass, apparently.

• Options
    Yeah, I just found out the hard way. Ah, well.

• Options

Radiohead can be all over the place tuning wise, as well as chord voicings/shapes. Thom Yorke especially is fond of using piano inversions transposed for guitar and you will have to make some awkward claw shapes to fret them cleanly.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

Radiohead can be all over the place tuning wise, as well as chord voicings/shapes. Thom Yorke especially is fond of using piano inversions transposed for guitar and you will have to make some awkward claw shapes to fret them cleanly.

I'm all about the awkward claws.

• Options
    The DLC for April 2, 2019 is Roxette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huuioKThw30

“It Must Have Been Love” – E Standard - Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “The Look” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Listen To Your Heart” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm; D Standard – Bass
    Roxette are a Swedish pop rock duo, consisting of Marie Fredriksson (vocals and keyboards) and Per Gessle (vocals and guitar). Formed in 1986, the duo became an international act in the late 1980s, when they released their breakthrough album Look Sharp!

Roxette is one of those bands that have an incredibly talented female vocalist backed by a band that just doesn't do it for me. I do have a bit of a soft spot for them, but not enough to pick up this pack.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The title change made me think the unthinkable happened Prince came to rocksmith
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QAFUl-XUI8

• Options
    I got "It Must Have Been Love" because I love that song and have had it stuck in my head here and there for a little while now. It's decent. It has some interesting chords and arpeggios with power chords for the chrous. I'm not big on "The Look", but I plan to pick up "Listen to Your Heart" in the future because I also like that song and the solo looks tasty.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Ah, The Look. The sing that is 67% “Na” by weight.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I always thought “the look” had a catchy guitar part.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Another band whose existence I had pretty much completely forgotten until they released the pack. Yeah, they all have some fun guitar bits here & there.

Listen To Your Heart seems to share an awful lot of its DNA with What About Love and Alone from the Heart pack.

• Options
    The DLC for April 9th, 2019 is Cat Stevens,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31uiWt3aG2s

“Wild World” – E Standard - Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Morning Has Broken” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Father And Son” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

It's not my usual thing, but I think this one goes on the wishlist for a sale reminder.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    The DLC For April 16th, 2019 is Variety Pack XXII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRsg87impj8

“Counting Blue Cars” by Dishwalla – E Standard - Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Alison Hell” by Annihilator – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Long Tall Sally” by Wanda Jackson – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “From The Pinnacle To The Pit” by Ghost – D Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

"Where are we going to put that Annihilator track?"
    "Stick it with the Wanda Jackson song, haha."
    "Okay, done. See you next week."
    "I was only joking. I... fuck it, I'm going home."

Definitely an eclectic mix this week. Alison Hell looks like it has some fun bits though I don't know if I'd want to listen to it enough to learn it.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    I picked up the Wanda Jackson song, and it's fun; otherwise, hard pass for me personally.

• Options
    More Ghost is always fun. I'll pick that up at some point. Annihilator is tempting as it looks fun to play.