As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rocksmith] Rocksmith Plus more money

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    We saw Bohemian Rhapsody on Saturday and thought it was pretty great.

On a related note, although it's less helpful than it might be since it's just the video without tab; but it's still fascinating to hear him talking about his set-up -- tone, effects pedals, the fact that he plays with a sixpence, e.g.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkhmDEKeaBU

• Options
    Also, yes, Another One Bites the Dust mostly tracks the vocals. The lead starts with the vocals, then switches to the guitar bit at the end; the rhythm just does the vocals, then stops when they end.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    Also, yes, Another One Bites the Dust mostly tracks the vocals. The lead starts with the vocals, then switches to the guitar bit at the end; the rhythm just does the vocals, then stops when they end.

Is there an alternate path that just plays the guitar parts? I'm weird, but I'd rather sit there doing nothing waiting for the guitar to kick in than play made up guitar parts.

• Options
    JOE_1967 wrote: »

Is there an alternate path that just plays the guitar parts? I'm weird, but I'd rather sit there doing nothing waiting for the guitar to kick in than play made up guitar parts.

Nope. I mean, you could just ignore them if you don't mind tanking the percentage, or limit yourself to running those sections in Riff Repeater, but that's about it.

• Options
    Oh, and also the bass line is just tracking the vocal.

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    The DLC for November 13th, 2018 is Variety Song Pack XIX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjEI2iZAcyo

More Human Than Human” by White Zombie – C# Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Cissy Strut” by The Meters – E Standard – Lead/Bass
    “In A Big Country” by Big Country – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Stir It Up” by Bob Marley & The Wailers – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass

A few good songs in there, but not much that looks fun to play. Think I'll be taking a pass on this one.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Hmm, I might grab "In A Big Country" because I love me some 80's (and it sounds like it would be pretty fun).

I still remember getting the new issue of Guitar World back in the early 90's and one of the songs was "More Human Than Human". The bass tab had a small part and then said "Repeat 92x". Should be a fun one!

• Options
    I picked up the whole pack although I'm not sure when I'll get around to the Zombie song -- C#, man. Big Country is fun -- there's a lot going on in the lead part.

• Options
    The DLC for November 20th, 2018 is the Christmas Classics Song Pack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GthgcsOmvFk

“Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree” by Brenda Lee – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Blue Christmas” by Elvis Presley – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer” by Gene Autry – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Run, Rudolph, Run” by Chuck Berry – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

If anyone was having trouble getting hundred percents and didn't want to wait to get better, this is the pack for you!

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    an_alt wrote: »
    The DLC for November 20th, 2018 is the Christmas Classics Song Pack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GthgcsOmvFk

“Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree” by Brenda Lee – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Blue Christmas” by Elvis Presley – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer” by Gene Autry – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Run, Rudolph, Run” by Chuck Berry – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

If anyone was having trouble getting hundred percents and didn't want to wait to get better, this is the pack for you!

Yep, I'll be picking that one up. In an ideal world, this means we'll see more Chuck Berry in the not-too-distant future.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    If you don't barre well or often, you might run into some pain doing traditional fretting on the double stops in Run, Rudolph, Run.

Good news is, if you can play Run, Rudolph, Run, you can also do Johnnie B Goode, the rhythm picking pattern is identical, just some slight changes in chord voicings and scales in the solo licks and minor tempo variations.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Isn't run run rudolph a pretty fun and uptempo song on guitar? I've never learned it or thought about it until now, but from memory, in my head it sounds fun.

• Options
    Yes, Run, Run Rudolph is fun & pretty quick. TBH, the place where I have the most difficulty is in the rhythm section when you're going from root/fifth to root/sixth, and especially if you go to root/minor seventh -- those stretches can be hard, especially lower on the neck.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Oh hey I celebrated christmas early and got an electric guitar and this neat little program!

Now there's no more excuse for me to avoid using a pick! But will it ever not feel like it transforms my hand into a wooden claw that clumsily paws at the strings? We'll find out!

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Oh hey I celebrated christmas early and got an electric guitar and this neat little program!

Now there's no more excuse for me to avoid using a pick! But will it ever not feel like it transforms my hand into a wooden claw that clumsily paws at the strings? We'll find out!

I've probably said it in this thread before, but when I started guitar, I took lessons for a couple of months and the best thing I got out of it (and probably the only worthwhile thing) was being forced to use a pick. You'll adjust to it fairly quickly.

• Options
    The DLC for November 27th, 2018 is Jimmy Eat World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKWS5BVzakI

The Middle” – Drop D – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Bleed American” – Drop D – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Sweetness” – Drop D – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    Jimmy Eat World is an American rock band formed in Mesa, Arizona in 1993. The band is composed of lead guitarist and lead vocalist Jim Adkins, drummer Zach Lind, rhythm guitarist and vocalist Tom Linton, and bassist Rick Burch. As of October 2016, Jimmy Eat World has released nine studio albums, the last eight featuring the current lineup.

Not a huge fan of pop punk, but they're definitely not the worst band in the genre. Hope some of you enjoy it.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular

I've probably said it in this thread before, but when I started guitar, I took lessons for a couple of months and the best thing I got out of it (and probably the only worthwhile thing) was being forced to use a pick. You'll adjust to it fairly quickly.

Yeah, I looked at those justinguitar vids and used a really thin pick, figure I get used to strumming with it first. I definitely tense up, my forearm gave after a while. I'll soldier on, I bet most people feel like that. For shits and giggles I played one of those early practice tracks without a pick, and aced it - good to know that it's mostly me not being used to a pick, and that there is at least some basic skill left ^^

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options

Yeah, I looked at those justinguitar vids and used a really thin pick, figure I get used to strumming with it first. I definitely tense up, my forearm gave after a while. I'll soldier on, I bet most people feel like that. For shits and giggles I played one of those early practice tracks without a pick, and aced it - good to know that it's mostly me not being used to a pick, and that there is at least some basic skill left ^^

Yeah, you'll definitely want to get used to relaxing your arm. For strumming, you should be really loose from your shoulder down to your wrist. It shouldn't ever hurt or be extremely uncomfortable to play, but some of that is to be expected when you're starting out. Your forearm will probably be the bulk of your fatigue in your guitar journey (wait until you start trying to properly down-pick thrash metal), but try not to tense up too much because that can cause damage in the long term. Don't be afraid to try different picks, either, since that's definitely a personal preference thing and less of a skill thing. I personally can't stand thin picks, and never have. I've always been a medium pick guy.

Stick with it, though, and it should start to feel more natural shortly. I don't remember fighting the pick for very long.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    an_alt wrote: »
    The DLC for November 27th, 2018 is Jimmy Eat World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKWS5BVzakI

The Middle” – Drop D – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Bleed American” – Drop D – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Sweetness” – Drop D – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    Jimmy Eat World is an American rock band formed in Mesa, Arizona in 1993. The band is composed of lead guitarist and lead vocalist Jim Adkins, drummer Zach Lind, rhythm guitarist and vocalist Tom Linton, and bassist Rick Burch. As of October 2016, Jimmy Eat World has released nine studio albums, the last eight featuring the current lineup.

Not a huge fan of pop punk, but they're definitely not the worst band in the genre. Hope some of you enjoy it.

I might actually get these. I'm at least going to wishlist them in case I find I have time to actually play Rocksmith anytime soon. I'm not a huge pop-punk fan either but all three of those songs are ones that I listened to a fair bit and it looks like I might actually have the skill to play those ones (they look kind of fast but with normal chords).

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I fired this up last night after having never really taken the time to mess with it as I wanted. I'm bad about getting into a hobby hardcore for a while then not touching it again for years, at which point it's like starting over.
    True to form, I felt like I'd never held a guitar before it's been so long.

Anyway, I can NOT get used to the color coding on the strings for some reason. Blue and orange need to be reversed...at least, my brain keeps telling me that. I'd actually prefer:
    red
    orange
    yellow
    purple
    green
    blue

I wonder if you can adjust it in options... I didn't think to look.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, but right now it's breaking my brain and I have to really mentally process the colors instead of just knowing where to go on instinct.

• Options
    vamen wrote: »
    I fired this up last night after having never really taken the time to mess with it as I wanted. I'm bad about getting into a hobby hardcore for a while then not touching it again for years, at which point it's like starting over.

Anyway, I can NOT get used to the color coding on the strings for some reason. Blue and orange need to be reversed...at least, my brain keeps telling me that. I'd actually prefer:
    red
    orange
    yellow
    purple
    green
    blue

I'm sure I'll get used to it, but right now it's breaking my brain and I have to really mentally process the colors instead of just knowing where to go on instinct.

You can't reorganize the colors, though you can swap it so red is on the bottom, like in reading tabs.

• Options

red
    orange
    yellow
    purple
    green
    blue

You can't reorganize the colors, though you can swap it so red is on the bottom, like in reading tabs.

I'm so happy they have that feature -- after 35+ years of reading tablature, trying to play with the strings running the other way messes up my head.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Maybe it's not the colors that messes with my head, maybe it's the order. It's been so long since I looked at tabs, it didn't occur to me.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2018

red
    orange
    yellow
    purple
    green
    blue

I think having them in hue order would make logical sense, but it'd be harder to distinguish them at a glance. Not to mention people with reduced color vision.

That said, 2014 added a decent colorblind option, and that might make more sense to you in addition to the string order flip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-TIgMa0uik

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    The DLC for December 4th, 2018 is Alice Cooper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJQ7i3lorfM

“School’s Out” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Billion Dollar Babies” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Poison” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm; Drop D - Bass
    Alice Cooper was an American rock band formed in Phoenix, Arizona in 1964. The band consisted of lead singer Vince Furnier (stage name Alice Cooper), Glen Buxton (lead guitar), Michael Bruce (rhythm guitar, keyboards), Dennis Dunaway (bass guitar), and Neal Smith (drums). Furnier legally changed his name to Alice Cooper and has had a solo career under that name since the band became inactive in 1975. The band was notorious for their elaborate, theatrical shock rock stage shows.[2] In 2011, the original Alice Cooper band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

After several years of little success, the Alice Cooper band rose to fame in 1971 with the hit single "I'm Eighteen" and the album Love It to Death. Success continued with the popular single "School's Out" and the album of the same name in 1972. The band peaked in popularity in 1973 with their next album Billion Dollar Babies and its tour, which broke box-office records previously held by The Rolling Stones.

This one is a definite pick up for me. I've been waiting for School's Out for a while.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    I'm not a huge Alice Cooper fan, but Poison is an auto-buy for me. GIVE ME MORE GLAM METAL

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Yeah, I may have to own that one also.

I still remember seeing him for the first time when he did the Muppet Show guest appearance.

EDITED TO ADD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8j3NAA0uis

JOE_1967 on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I'm not a huge Alice Cooper fan, but Poison is an auto-buy for me. GIVE ME MORE GLAM METAL

Indeed. Poison's one of my favorite 80's songs to jam to.

And listening to a couple of cuts off Nita Strauss's debut solo album, I might take some lead lines from it's second track and throw them into the bridge and solo for Poison and it'd sound like Alexi Laiho was playing for Alice Cooper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRDpPffOX5o

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Alice Cooper's music is whatever for me, but I'll always respect that he's apparently one of "the good ones" in terms of celebrities. He also has a weirdly good memory. And of course, Wayne's World.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Alice Cooper's music is whatever for me, but I'll always respect that he's apparently one of "the good ones" in terms of celebrities. He also has a weirdly good memory. And of course, Wayne's World.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of his music (I like some, and lukewarm on the rest, don't hate it), but I'm a huge fan of him as a person.

• Options
    The DLC for December 11th, 2018 is Five Finger Death Punch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umfwNUfhXq4

“Bad Company” – Custom Tuning: B Standard – Lead/Rhythm; E Standard - Bass
    “The Bleeding” – E Standard – Lead; Custom Tuning: B Standard - Alt Lead/Rhythm; Drop D - Bass
    “Wrong Side Of Heaven” – Custom Tuning: B Standard – Lead/Rhythm; E Standard - Bass
    Five Finger Death Punch also abbreviated as 5FDP or FFDP, is an American heavy metal band from Las Vegas, Nevada. Formed in 2005, the band's name comes from the kung fu movie The Five Fingers of Death.

It's not terrible, but the three minutes in the trailer didn't do much for me. Fortunately, the B standard tuning doesn't keep me from a pack I'd otherwise be interested in getting.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    Wrong Side of Heaven would be the only one I'll pick up.

Bleeding is an okay track, but not one I'd pay money for, and I find their cover of Bad Company to be weaponized suck.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    I'll take a pass -- music's not my cuppa, and tuning to B would leave my strings floppier than overcooked pasta.

• Options
    Anytime I see these tunings my brain just says "idiots ". I don't understand the need to go so low and find it stupid.

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    Anytime I see these tunings my brain just says "idiots ". I don't understand the need to go so low and find it stupid.

Well that's a bit much. There are a number of reasons that musicians choose one tuning over another. Tuning down several steps gives it a darker, harsher tone. It makes things like pinch harmonics have a distinct sound from standard tuning. The looser strings also give you a little more freedom with bends. It's certainly more of a metal thing, but that doesn't make it good or bad, just like using an open tuning or a capo.

• Options
    Maybe I'm just old and in the get off my lawn phase. I think it all sounds like mud and find the trend moronic.

• Options
    Maybe I'm just old and in the get off my lawn phase. I think it all sounds like mud and find the trend moronic.

It's a trend that's been going on since at least the mid-80s. :P

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular

Tony Iommi was using C# Standard (C♯-F♯-B-E-G♯-C♯) going back to the early 70's. If you're too old for Black Sabbath you're pretty old indeed!

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Endaro wrote: »

Tony Iommi was using C# Standard (C♯-F♯-B-E-G♯-C♯) going back to the early 70's. If you're too old for Black Sabbath you're pretty old indeed!

Devin Townsend uses Open C, which he picked up from learning Led Zeppelin as a kid. I was thinking specifically of B, but I'm sure it goes back further.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Endaro wrote: »

But that was due to having an injury. Yes it gave them the sound but there was a reason. I dunno, I just puke at these tunings . Seems like people should just pick up a bass

old.jpg