Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    3clipse wrote: »
    ronzo wrote: »
    What seems to decide the hunter mirror: Who gets to play first. The end

Yup!

True for all aggro vs. aggro matchups.

It's a real problem with no good solution.

this transcends hearthstone into most card games

That's part of why I think there's not a good solution to be had, it's existed in like every similar system since forever and no one's solved it yet. The draw and the coin are the closest to a good solution I think, given that in Hearthstone the winrate difference for a given deck going first/second (across all matchups) is only 3%.

in return to ravnica/theros standard you wanted to choose to go second in the boros burn mirror!!!

Well yeah, but generally speaking we're assuming at least one of the decks in the equation cares about creatures in some fashion. That's not always the case, but usually is, and it seems like both Hearthstone and MTG devs want to keep it that way.

the deck i'm describing cared about creatures!

But how many of those creatures had haste?

well the creatures that were in boros burn over time (not all at the same time) were ash zealot, chandra's phoenix, firedrinker satyr, young pyromancer, eidolon of the great revel, boros reckoner, guttersnipe, and rakdos cackler (might be forgetting a few ofc)

so 2

Yup!

That's part of why I think there's not a good solution to be had, it's existed in like every similar system since forever and no one's solved it yet. The draw and the coin are the closest to a good solution I think, given that in Hearthstone the winrate difference for a given deck going first/second (across all matchups) is only 3%.

in return to ravnica/theros standard you wanted to choose to go second in the boros burn mirror!!!

Well yeah, but generally speaking we're assuming at least one of the decks in the equation cares about creatures in some fashion. That's not always the case, but usually is, and it seems like both Hearthstone and MTG devs want to keep it that way.

I'm gonna take a guess and say all of them except the ones that had tap: deal damage.

fuckin' owned

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Heathstone Global Games are going on now btw if anyone wanted to watch. It's probably still got several hours before finishing, so lots of time to watch. Currently is Greece vs Hungary, and USA is up last today.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017

Yup!

well the creatures that were in boros burn over time (not all at the same time) were ash zealot, chandra's phoenix, firedrinker satyr, young pyromancer, eidolon of the great revel, boros reckoner, guttersnipe, and rakdos cackler (might be forgetting a few ofc)

so 2

eidolon, reckoner, and guttersnipe are burn spells as much as they are creatures (if not moreso)

young peezy is a value card, on the one hand being on the draw gives you more spells to work with it but on the other getting to go off first on the play lets your elementals get in that much faster which is probably better than just getting an extra 1/1

both satyr and cackler would rather be on the play, I'm sure--getting a free swing in with your aggro one drop before they play a two drop is, like, the point of aggro one drops

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Kolosus wrote: »
    Brawl this week is "An Ancient Recipe". You get to play the Un'goro class recipe for the class you choose. Not all of them are quests.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/66b4z5/tavern_brawl_this_week_an_ancient_recipe/

Yep like the Mage is Elemental. Warrior is taunt quest which I got matched up with the Rogue Quest. Brawl, weapon hit, Execute and Hero Power for a win. The Rogue even got his quest out on turn 6.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Yup!

so 2

Yup!

I'm gonna take a guess and say all of them except the ones that had tap: deal damage.

fuckin' owned

look man I haven't played MtG since Ravnica

erryone losin' they minds over shock lands

• Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Brawl this week is "An Ancient Recipe". You get to play the Un'goro class recipe for the class you choose. Not all of them are quests.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/66b4z5/tavern_brawl_this_week_an_ancient_recipe/

Yep like the Mage is Elemental. Warrior is taunt quest which I got matched up with the Rogue Quest. Brawl, weapon hit, Execute and Hero Power for a win. The Rogue even got his quest out on turn 6.

I've been wondering how well Elemental Mage plays. Has anyone of note tried that yet?

Steam profile
  • Options

Yup!

so 2

eidolon, reckoner, and guttersnipe are burn spells as much as they are creatures (if not moreso)

young peezy is a value card, on the one hand being on the draw gives you more spells to work with it but on the other getting to go off first on the play lets your elementals get in that much faster which is probably better than just getting an extra 1/1

both satyr and cackler would rather be on the play, I'm sure--getting a free swing in with your aggro one drop before they play a two drop is, like, the point of aggro one drops

MOVING THE GOALPOASTS

but no the reason you wanted to be on the draw rather than the play in that matchup is because it was decided by who had an unanswered creature for the longest stretch of time, which meant you actually played substantially more controlling in that matchup than you would've otherwise

a more creature-focused list like boss sligh playing cards like foundry street denizen and akroan athlete wanted to be on the play all the time, but the decisionmaking for the burn-focused lists was very different

aggro: it's more complex than escape goat thinks

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

Yup!

so 2

Yup!

fuckin' owned

shock lands are still a modern staple, so it was a valid losing of the mind

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    USA vs NED is going to be a great match, by the way. Tune in if you're able.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Yup!

so 2

Yup!

fuckin' owned

shock lands are still a modern staple, so it was a valid losing of the mind

oh yeah I figured, they were clearly crazy powerful even to an ultra casual MtG player like myself

• Options
    fun fact: red decks at the time were playing Searing Blood, a 2 mana "deal 2 damage to a creature, if it dies deal 3 damage to its controller)

and if you were up against the u/w control decks of the time, they had a spell that killed a creature and gained them life, and the correct play game one was to kill your own creature with searing blood and damage yourself so that they didn't heal up. hot tip: a lot of people didn't know that. SEPARATE THE BOYS FROM THE TOYS

(searing blood would of course be sided out for games 2/3)

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Tynnan wrote: »

The only player I recognize from NED is Thijs. I hope it's not Thijs vs Dog, then I won't know how to cheer!

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    kime wrote: »

The only player I recognize from NED is Thijs. I hope it's not Thijs vs Dog, then I won't know how to cheer!

Tyler is another player to watch. He's routinely near top legend on multiple servers. Streams at twitch.tv/tylerootd

There was a fun sequence last night where Tyler and dog repeatedly queued into each other. They went back and forth for a while, felt like about an hour, before dog finished his stream. It was really fun to put up both streams and watch their opposing decision-making happen in real time.

Tynnan on
  • Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    This brawl. Lost as quest druid vs quest hunter, but facing a quest paladin I won as a quest rogue.

I used a thistle tea to get 3 boars, then next turn (9) I put four of them out and completed the quest to send lethal into the paladin.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Quest Mage? Huh. I wouldn't have expected that.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    Yeah, I would think Quest Mage is straight up inferior to 15 Ice Blocks Freeze Mage.

• Options

Tyler is another player to watch. He's routinely near top legend on multiple servers. Streams at twitch.tv/tylerootd

There was a fun sequence last night where Tyler and dog repeatedly queued into each other. They went back and forth for a while, felt like about an hour, before dog finished his stream. It was really fun to put up both streams and watch their opposing decision-making happen in real time.

Oh, I watched that, yeah! After Dog's stream ended, Savj queued up against Tyler a few times too. I'll be glad to see him play as well

Steam profile
  • Options
    Hungary is using the coolest version of Time Mage, Infinite Fireballs. Now I have to root for them :D

Steam profile
  • Options
    Hungary is using the coolest version of Time Mage, Infinite Fireballs. Now I have to root for them :D

They lost :(

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I'd rather play with completely random cards than the deck recipes Blizzard

• Options

After having some absolutely amazing random spell RNG, too.

Exodia Mage just not that good.

• Options

Wow, I was wrong. They won.

• Options
    edited April 2017

Wow, I was wrong. They won.

They really shouldn't have. Greece misplayed SO UNBELIEVABLY HARD for three turns in a row.

Greece didn't play to their outs those last few turns at all. You lose if it's Ice Block and you lose if you try to play Board Control at that point, so you just go for it and hope it's not Ice Block.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options

SPOKE TOO SOON

Wow what a game. Greece decided no to go for lethal because they didn't know what the three unknown secrets were, so they played it safe and ended up losing.

Exodia Mage best deck 2017

Steam profile
  • Options
    wow... that hungary mage greece shaman game was insane. Greece could have had lethal and they didnt' try with the 3 secrets on the mage. Craziness on that match!

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    Play to win, don't play to not lose.

Greece forgot the most simple rule of all.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Jakarrd wrote: »
    wow... that hungary mage greece shaman game was insane. Greece could have had lethal and they didnt' try with the 3 secrets on the mage. Craziness on that match!

It seems like it was just a misplay. Like, regardless of whether they had the proper secrets or not, Greece's play lost. They should have just gone for it, they didn't have another way to win.

Edit: What 3clipse said above, yeah.

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    But like really that game says a lot about how not-good Exodia mage is (sorry kime): they got very nearly perfect random spells, put the combo together quickly and finished the quest quickly, and only won because their opponents played totally wrong for multiple turns in a row.

• Options
    Jakarrd wrote: »

It seems like it was just a misplay. Like, regardless of whether they had the proper secrets or not, Greece's play lost. They should have just gone for it, they didn't have another way to win.

Edit: What 3clipse said above, yeah.

Yeah, I agree. They had already spent their previous jade lightning so they didn't have a reliable way to do 5 damage beyond that since they didn't play an elemental to activate kalimos.

Still, both teams were stressing in the last turns there. It was amazing to watch.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    Greeze Freeze mage vs Hungary quest rogue. and NO bounce cards in hand so far for hungary. Greece has alexstraza in hand.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    But like really that game says a lot about how not-good Exodia mage is (sorry kime): they got very nearly perfect random spells, put the combo together quickly and finished the quest quickly, and only won because their opponents played totally wrong for multiple turns in a row.

I disagree that their random spells were nearly perfect. Perfect spells are Molten Reflection, Ice Block, or freeze spells. If they had gotten any of those, they would have won legit.

Doesn't mean Exodia Mage is good, but I still like it! I'm not convinced Hungary played that super well either to be honest, I feel like there are subtle differences with how they played and how Dog played it early in the expansion that make a difference.

Steam profile
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Quest Priest (me) vs Hunter who roped every single turn, yes, even turn 1

I win, but fuck that was annoying to play. Every turn all their actions would happen in the last 15 seconds, and the button always blew up. It's like they didn't know you could pass the turn.

And then after my Nzoth turn where I had amara in hand, they played out their turn wth full rope, only to insets concede before I could attack for lethal

Some people just don't respect other players

• Options
    Wow, Hungary has to prep-Vanish in order to finish out the Quest, when they won't even have enough mana to cast the Quest their following turn. Hungary can't use their Quest till turn seven, that's super late for Quest Rogue.

Not having any bounce in their hand slowed them down so much.

Steam profile
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

This brawl is fantastic, though I honestly think that it should have been out a week before Un'goro dropped, and then repeated now.

I see the better brawls as a great way for new players to compete with veteran players, and to play cards that they wouldn't normally play. This one fits the bill. It gives someone playing Hearthstone for a week the chance to play with a lot of the fun top-end toys from the Un'goro expansion, to give them some cards and decks to try to aim towards building.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Playing naked coin tony was a mistake I think. especially given that Hungary drew prep to do quest and clear tony with chargers.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    Ouch, Ravan with the burn. "Oh Greece, such an uphill climb. And you could have avoid this if you just had beaten Hungary's Exodia Mage...."

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    Yeah Greece threw this series hard.

• Options
    Croatia vs Ukraine next. I looked at Croatia's team, didn't recognize anyone. Looked at Ukraine's, oh hey look a bunch of well-known pros :P

Anyone know anything about Coratia's players? Are they good and I just don't remember/recognize their names? Or a bit of an underdog here?

Steam profile
  • Options
    Croatia vs Ukraine next. I looked at Croatia's team, didn't recognize anyone. Looked at Ukraine's, oh hey look a bunch of well-known pros :P

Anyone know anything about Coratia's players? Are they good and I just don't remember/recognize their names? Or a bit of an underdog here?

maybe it'd help if you, like, told us who they were

some of us are only lightly procrastinating at work, ain't got time to look this stuff up :P

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Ukraine: Kolento, NickChipper, Neirea, DrHippi