Options

Nintendo Switch: Ode to Joycon

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »
    You know, I would totally play a new Black Flags-esque game that didn't have the crappy Assassin's Creed parts.

I cannot get over the fact that Ubisoft still hasn't revealed a Black Flag spinoff yet. The only thing I can think is they're playing some weird game of development-chicken with Sea of Thieves.

You know, I've heard this sentiment a ton and I still can't figure out what you would DO in a pirate game. Sail around until you found a merchant ship, board it, murder the entire crew and steal their cargo, then go on to the next ship?

Might be hard to market.

Sid Meier's Pirates! says hi.

Not to go too far off topic but Sea of Thieves is also coming out, could be cool. Though I doubt it'll come to any platform besides Windows/Xbox since it's Microsoft/Rare owned.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Is it just me or did the Switch hit at the exact time everybody suddenly became unashamed to play video games in public?

Or is it just because it doesn't look like a toy like the DS or 3DS? Ironically LESS portable than those since it's not small and clamshell, but MORE portable for most people because it's not embarrassing to use, or something?

I feel like I see posts everywhere about people using them about town. Most recently this Kotaku article about Disgaea 5.
    This is all stuff I love but haven’t had the time to really invest myself in for years. Since downloading the game for the Switch last week, I’ve played Disgaea 5 Complete in bars, at the bus stop waiting for my kids to get home, in bed, in the bath and beyond.

It’s wonderful to be able to play the game properly whenever and wherever I want.

Just like, where were all you people before to give me streetpasses a couple years ago dammit

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    It would be cool if they made a subversive pirate game where all the exciting piracy is simulated or doesn't happen at all, and it's mostly about slow deterioration of health and morale, terrible odors, gangrene, scurvy, leaks in the hull, spoiled food, horrible punishments, etc.

Well, a lot of AC4 involves pirates suffering from a lack of proper medical care/supply, getting caught, jailed, and killed, a captain losing the confidence of his crew, and the inevitable end of the era.

There still is a lot of the written-as-exciting ship combat, thievery, and raiding, but there are more sobering bits in that game than I'd have expected.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I really just want Terraria to come out. Then I will be happy.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Assassin's Creed generally leaves me cold but I loved the shit out of Black Flag.

But I'm not holding my breath for another pirate game from Ubi since the golden age of piracy in the Caribbean lasted maybe 10 years, and Black Flag pretty thoroughly covered it.

I mean, there is Sea of Thieves, but that's a multiplayer-only games as a service joint, so nooooooope.

....I guess the Goonies expansion of Lego Dimensions was piratey? Kinda?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    PookiepooPookiepoo Registered User regular
    Is it just me or did the Switch hit at the exact time everybody suddenly became unashamed to play video games in public?

Or is it just because it doesn't look like a toy like the DS or 3DS? Ironically LESS portable than those since it's not small and clamshell, but MORE portable for most people because it's not embarrassing to use, or something?

I feel like I see posts everywhere about people using them about town. Most recently this Kotaku article about Disgaea 5.
    This is all stuff I love but haven’t had the time to really invest myself in for years. Since downloading the game for the Switch last week, I’ve played Disgaea 5 Complete in bars, at the bus stop waiting for my kids to get home, in bed, in the bath and beyond.

It’s wonderful to be able to play the game properly whenever and wherever I want.

Just like, where were all you people before to give me streetpasses a couple years ago dammit

My guess is that Pokémon Go was the biggest factor in changing people's perception on playing games in public. While the fad died down a bit, I'm sure most people who played the game realized:

1) most people around you don't care at all
    2) there are a lot more nerds than you think
    3) playing games in public can result in some really enjoyable social interactions with like-minded strangers.

Steam: Pookie GG Now Playing: BattleTech, Divinity Original Sin 2, MechWarrior 5
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I could really go for Spelunky on this thing.

Honestly, they could just make this thing an indie game machine and never make a AAA title and I'd be happy.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular

Honestly, they could just make this thing an indie game machine and never make a AAA title and I'd be happy.

If they put Spelunky on the Switch I'd probably get fired from my job

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Never quite got the whole argument about it being embarrassing or weird to play video games outdoors.

• Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Also, turtle shelves?
    Yeah, when I saw that my skepticism about this leak shot up.

I want everything on the Switch. Everything. Port over everything in my Steam library, I'll never buy another game on anything else until Switch 2.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »
    Never quite got the whole argument about it being embarrassing or weird to play video games outdoors.

Generational ostracism.

<--80s kid, and it wasn't until I was in my late 20s that playing video games as an adult at all wasn't considered nerdy/non-adult.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    It would be cool if they made a subversive pirate game where all the exciting piracy is simulated or doesn't happen at all, and it's mostly about slow deterioration of health and morale, terrible odors, gangrene, scurvy, leaks in the hull, spoiled food, horrible punishments, etc.
    So like Spec Ops for pirates?

Pirate Ops: Rigged Lines

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Generational ostracism.

<--80s kid, and it wasn't until I was in my late 20s that playing video games as an adult at all wasn't considered nerdy/non-adult.

Ah, the pre-Internet days when there was zero cool side to nerdy things and vanishingly few social resources for nerds outside of large cities.

Those days sucked.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »
    You know, I would totally play a new Black Flags-esque game that didn't have the crappy Assassin's Creed parts.

I cannot get over the fact that Ubisoft still hasn't revealed a Black Flag spinoff yet. The only thing I can think is they're playing some weird game of development-chicken with Sea of Thieves.

You know, I've heard this sentiment a ton and I still can't figure out what you would DO in a pirate game. Sail around until you found a merchant ship, board it, murder the entire crew and steal their cargo, then go on to the next ship?

Might be hard to market.

Sid Meier's Pirates! says hi.

Played it in the C64 days. Also played The Seven Cities of Gold, a game about slaughtering South Americans and taking their stuff. Both were somewhat able to disguise their actual content with low-end graphics and an environment that wasn't paying too much attention to what the kids were getting up to on their beep boop boxes.

Sorry, wildly off topic now but "being a pirate" is one of the weirdest fantasies people have. I blame Disney.

The remake of Pirates! got around it by making it 1) Incredibly cartoonish. No matter how many times you stabbed the other captain he never bled and instead would be forced back until he walked into a fire and had to jump overboard or fell off the edge overboard or got close to some cargo on a rope that would knock him overboard.

2) Making you more of a privateer than a proper pirate. You generally weren't doing anything worse than what the actual militaries of the 4 powers were doing given that they were all attacking each others' merchant vessels, invading each others' cities, etc. Far more Henry Morgan than Edward Teach.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

The Nintendo Vita?

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

Generational ostracism.

This. Kids have it so good today, but man, if you were a teen in the 90s? Gaming was social death. Doubly so if you were also a tabletop or pen & paper RPG player. This new era, I think, was created by two things:

1. The ubiquity of smart phones. Suddenly bored people everywhere, of every walk of life, have the means to entertain themselves while waiting in line, travelling, etc.
    2. People of our generation never letting social pressures kill their love for gaming.

It's a marked difference. Let me put it this way: my high school girlfriend thought I was weird when I showed her Final Fantasy VI back in 1997. Now? She plays WoW twice a week with her dad.

This is the golden age of gaming. Not just because of the breadth and depth of titles coming out, but because of the social acceptance of gaming as an activity adults do. And the Switch really seems to touch on both aspects.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Generational ostracism.

This. Kids have it so good today, but man, if you were a teen in the 90s? Gaming was social death. Doubly so if you were also a tabletop or pen & paper RPG player. This new era, I think, was created by two things:

1. The ubiquity of smart phones. Suddenly bored people everywhere, of every walk of life, have the means to entertain themselves while waiting in line, travelling, etc.
    2. People of our generation never letting social pressures kill their love for gaming.

It's a marked difference. Let me put it this way: my high school girlfriend thought I was weird when I showed her Final Fantasy VI back in 1997. Now? She plays WoW twice a week with her dad.

This is the golden age of gaming. Not just because of the breadth and depth of titles coming out, but because of the social acceptance of gaming as an activity adults do. And the Switch really seems to touch on both aspects.

Also because the "back in my day we didn't need radio/tv/computers/video games to have a good time" generation is dying off and being replaced by the generations raised on video games.

There's little more effective in bringing about social change than the generation that opposed it being gradually supplanted by the one that accepts it.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Kids these days. Back in my day we had to complete the game in one sitting.
    And you couldn't get the good ending if you used the level select code.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

I remember my Uncle leaving his NES on for like a full week taking his time to beat Super Mario Bros. 3.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    eelektrik wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »

I remember my Uncle leaving his NES on for like a full week taking his time to beat Super Mario Bros. 3.

Ugh your uncle and I are the same age

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
      Oh man, trying to do a complete playthrough of Mario 3 was the worst.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    • Options
      MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      I took my daughter (1.5 years old) to our FLGS. I was showing her D&D dice and told her:

"You're lucky honey. You get to grow up in an era where playing D&D doesn't automatically mean you worship Satan."

The three other customers around me all started laughing and relaying their own personal D&D horror stories.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
      Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
      Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • Options
      NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
      MNC Dover wrote: »
      I took my daughter (1.5 years old) to our FLGS. I was showing her D&D dice and told her:

"You're lucky honey. You get to grow up in an era where playing D&D doesn't automatically mean you worship Satan."

The three other customers around me all started laughing and relaying their own personal D&D horror stories.

One of the physical therapists I had as a kid was a pretty fundamentalist Christian. I spent a few sessions trying to assure her that, no, my older brothers and I weren't satanists, and that the point of the game was to defeat evil, including devils and demons. I'm not sure if she ever truly believed me.

• Options
      SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
      oh yes, PA Forums. Where I go to feel old.

In Switch news I should finally be able to pick up Minecraft tomorrow, finally.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
      XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    • Options
      SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
      I swore to myself that I was not going to buy a switch until I could just find one as part of my normal shopping routine. But today I had some free time during the day, I had just finished a big project at work, I checked istocknow and saw a target near me had some, and I rushed over to grab one. So now I have a switch. I remember there being a big discussion about what are good SD cards in terms of speed, what was the consensus on a good one? And what do people recommend as a carrying case? (though I don't plan on carrying it around a ton).

sig.gif
    • Options
      NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
      I swore to myself that I was not going to buy a switch until I could just find one as part of my normal shopping routine. But today I had some free time during the day, I had just finished a big project at work, I checked istocknow and saw a target near me had some, and I rushed over to grab one. So now I have a switch. I remember there being a big discussion about what are good SD cards in terms of speed, what was the consensus on a good one? And what do people recommend as a carrying case? (though I don't plan on carrying it around a ton).

Samsung or SanDisk UHS-1 microSDXC card. Switch supports cards up to 2TB (which don't exist yet, but anyways)
      Butterfox hardshell case. Pretty good protection, holds the Switch in place without it wiggling around and okay storage inside.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    • Options
      KPCKPC Registered User regular

Just picked up a 128GB card of this one:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-microsd-card/

Haven't put it through its paces yet but I trust wirecutter's recommendations.

• Options
      Entaru wrote: »
      oh yes, PA Forums. Where I go to feel old.

In Switch news I should finally be able to pick up Minecraft tomorrow, finally.

Join Ogre's and my server!

• Options
        Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
        edited May 2017

An RDS Travelers case should do the job well. I use the backpack but that might be a little much for you, I carry it in the travelers case when I dont feel like taking every piece apart to put it in my backpack. Also I'd suggest looking into a hybrid cover case. It keeps the screen well protected and doubles as a pretty good stand. It looks really nice too.

Handsome Costanza on
        Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
        Resident 8bitdo expert.
        Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
      • Options
        NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
        I'd recommend a glass screen protector too.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
      • Options
        Naphtali wrote: »

I'll second it each time. So good!

• Options
          hsuhsu Registered User regular
          And what do people recommend as a carrying case? (though I don't plan on carrying it around a ton).
          For protection, I use a tempered glass screen from amFilm, plastic joy-con guards from PDP, and reused my Harvest Label sling pack that previously held my mini tablet. Totally a man purse, but this Osaka based company makes great looking bags, and being smaller than my BaileyWorks messenger bag means I carry my Switch everywhere.

Having dumped my tablet for my Switch, I totally want a Hulu app, a Crunchyroll app, and an e-book reader on my Switch.

iTNdmYl.png
        • Options
          EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
          Loving minecraft on the switch. Only downside ive run into is that there is a limit on things like cows (probably to prevent system slowdowns). Kinda makes leather farming slow.

• Options
          Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
          Oh man, trying to do a complete playthrough of Mario 3 was the worst.

That game was so perfect on Super Mario All Stars with a save feature. It felt like that was the way the game was meant to be.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
          Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
        • Options
          Enc wrote: »
          Loving minecraft on the switch. Only downside ive run into is that there is a limit on things like cows (probably to prevent system slowdowns). Kinda makes leather farming slow.

If you want to maximize that, know that the only "active" areas are immediately surrounding you, and also the area considered world spawn. So if you are far from spawn raising cows and it doesn't let you breed anymore, check spawn to see if it's full of NPC animals. You could thin the herd there, or change modes and move spawn to your farm so that only one area is considered active by the game, easier to control what animals are there.

Personally I have a nice little farm going with sheep and cows and have never gotten the max animals message, I guess I just thin the herd often enough that it's not a problem. It's also right next to spawn though.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
        • Options
          maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
          TimFiji wrote: »

I wish I wasn't so burned out on Screen Protector applications. Bah.

FU7kFbw.png
          Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
        • Options
          EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular

If you want to maximize that, know that the only "active" areas are immediately surrounding you, and also the area considered world spawn. So if you are far from spawn raising cows and it doesn't let you breed anymore, check spawn to see if it's full of NPC animals. You could thin the herd there, or change modes and move spawn to your farm so that only one area is considered active by the game, easier to control what animals are there.

Personally I have a nice little farm going with sheep and cows and have never gotten the max animals message, I guess I just thin the herd often enough that it's not a problem. It's also right next to spawn though.

I was hitting a breeding cycle trying to double my 60 or so cows (I play rather industrially from my SE++ server days) when I got it. I could probably push that closer to 100 if I slaughtered everything in my active chunks, but that would be a lot of work compared to just keeping my herd bouncing between 30 and 60.

Still, pretty great to be able to play wherever I want. I wish I could connect to stable multiplayer servers someday (maybe in a future pathc).

• Options
          Still, pretty great to be able to play wherever I want. I wish I could connect to stable multiplayer servers someday (maybe in a future pathc).

Yeah, they announced realms for consoles last E3 apparently and it hasn't materialized on any of them yet.

• Options
          DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular

Hey, I'm still playing naked. I mean, the Switch is naked. No screen protector. Same for my phone and Vita, though for my N3DSXL I keep a microfiber cloth between the screens when closed. Nekkid is best!

camo_sig2.png
        • Options
          Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
          DaringDirk wrote: »

Hey, I'm still playing naked. I mean, the Switch is naked. No screen protector. Same for my phone and Vita, though for my N3DSXL I keep a microfiber cloth between the screens when closed. Nekkid is best!

You're among friends here.
          1vLli4R.jpg

Big Dookie wrote: »
          I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
          3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
        This discussion has been closed.