As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Playerunknown's Battlegrounds] Only You Can Prevent Blue Circle Deaths!

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I had a game where I got fucked by the circle. I landed at Stalber and the circle was on the military base. I got two kills before moving out, but those were the only players I saw the whole game. 2 first aid kits, 6 bottles of painkillers and who knows how many bandages later I died on the east bridge to military. Never found any vehicles. :(

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Fortnite mentioned PUBG as being the inspiration for the mode they put in and the mode is VERY similar. I think they're also making it available to play without buying the game?

And Fortnite is a F2P filled early access game being sold in stores for 60 bucks. Seems like they are hoping to ride the success wave and so I can definitely see Bluehole's frustration. I mean you parachute into the island and everything in Fortnite.

How many of the things that Fortnite "copied" off of PUBG did PUBG "copy" off of those that preceded it? I haven't played a BG game before PUBG but I'm pretty sure there's some common threads.

• Options
    TrustTrust Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Fortnite mentioned PUBG as being the inspiration for the mode they put in and the mode is VERY similar. I think they're also making it available to play without buying the game?

And Fortnite is a F2P filled early access game being sold in stores for 60 bucks. Seems like they are hoping to ride the success wave and so I can definitely see Bluehole's frustration. I mean you parachute into the island and everything in Fortnite.

How many of the things that Fortnite "copied" off of PUBG did PUBG "copy" off of those that preceded it? I haven't played a BG game before PUBG but I'm pretty sure there's some common threads.

Didn't the creator of Battlegrounds create most (like 3 or 4) of the things that could be said to precede it? I thought he did a mod for Arma 2(?) that was a very early version of what we have now?

A little bit vague as I don't have chance to google right now.

We Stand Ready
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »

It's pretty extreme. There's a minute countdown timer before it puts everyone on the "plane" which is a bus this time, you parachute out of it afterwards onto an island with a very similar looking map, etc. Compare this to say, The Culling which has a very different take but some similar stuff. This one seems a lot more blatant of a copy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVGDgoWPGAA

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Parachuting from a plane onto an island with a quickly diminishing field of play is basically rote for the battle royale genre. So much so, in fact, that a battle royale game which did not have you either parachuting in from a plane or spawning randomly on an island (specifically an island) would probably be considered breaking the mold.

The island being laid out the same is another story. But almost anything else could be easily attributable to "it's the genre"

• Options
    Rend wrote: »
    Parachuting from a plane onto an island with a quickly diminishing field of play is basically rote for the battle royale genre. So much so, in fact, that a battle royale game which did not have you either parachuting in from a plane or spawning randomly on an island (specifically an island) would probably be considered breaking the mold.

The island being laid out the same is another story. But almost anything else could be easily attributable to "it's the genre"

Maybe I just haven't played enough, do King of the Kill and all those things involve a plane too?

• Options
    Rend wrote: »

Maybe I just haven't played enough, do King of the Kill and all those things involve a plane too?

H1Z1 definitely used the plane, so did the Arma battle royale mods, though DayZ did not, DayZ had you randomly spawn on the coast iirc.

And considering the arma mods + H1Z1 are at this point the prototypes of the genre, that makes the parachuting mechanic about as standard as creeps coming down the lane in a moba.

• Options
    Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    The arma mod and h1z1 king of the kill were all created by the guy who did PUBG to be clear. I think it's silly though, yeah there's some shameless rip offs going on there with Fortnite, but it's not like they're hiding it, it's almost a homage and the game will be different enough with building/destruction that it's not going to be the same experience.

It's worth noting the original mod was a DayZ mod, and the whole picking up loot thing from DayZ is a huge component of the gameplay, but Rocket (DayZ creator) didn't bitch that some one was stealing his idea. The other half of the concept was inspired by the movie Battle Royale wasn't it? A battle royale in general isn't exactly an original concept.

I mean, this basically feels childish when PUBG has been so successful. It feels like they're afraid of losing something, which is ridiculous when you've sold how many million copies? Are they going to throw a fit every time some one makes a new battle royale?

Ash of Yew on
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    The level of childishness depends on the nature of the relationship between Epic and Bluehole.

• Options
    We're about at the point in battle royale's growth as a genre where we're going to see proper competitors popping up, like HoN vs. LoL vs. DotA

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    If Bluehole was working with Epic, their game engine vendor, to make PUBG run and play better and some of that found its way into Fortnite, I can imagine reasons to be upset.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Pretty good opinion piece I just read on this:
    https://www.polygon.com/2017/9/22/16350170/pubg-fortnite-battle-royale-genre-opinion

I'm mostly on Epic's side here in that there is nothing to *really* get angry about (and Battle Royale is not even inherently an original concept, just that PUBG managed to do it very well). But I also can kind of see the argument that what Epic did was a little bit on the sleazy side after having been working with them specifically on PUBG and even promoting the game as using their unreal engine. They could have at least been a bit more subtle about ripping it off.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    I always hear that lawyers might not want to let small violations slide because that sets a precedent of "Why didn't you sue all these other people?" so I can see good reason to be wary of other people doing the same basic stuff. It seems awfully similar, but looking at King of the Kill, well that's awfully similar too.

I think Fortnite's main offense is talking so much about PUBG in their press for this mode. Especially as that part is becoming free (With the rest of fortnite free next year) it comes off to me as using someone else's game to advertise your own.

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    There's literally nothing to sue over though. Game Modes cannot be copywritten. This would be like Dota suing League of Legends because the map has 3 lanes and minions that go down them with a forest to the sides.

As long as they aren't using PUBG assets (art, music, names, etc), then there's no real complaint. They know by getting into this space what is and isn't allowed. Saying "they copied us, shame on them!" is ridiculous in an industry where everyone copies and borrows from each other.

Roz on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    It looks kind of silly though, even if it may make sense.

Mega game and engine studio clones concept after one of their customers popularizes it.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Like if I'm a game studio I then wonder if Epic will rip off my game and throw a lot more money on it than I can.

Then I'll probably still use Unreal (or Unity) because those seem to be the options available. But like they're selling an engine they should be careful about just straight taking their customer's ideas.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Honk wrote: »
    Like if I'm a game studio I then wonder if Epic will rip off my game and throw a lot more money on it than I can.

Then I'll probably still use Unreal (or Unity) because those seem to be the options available. But like they're selling an engine they should be careful about just straight taking their customer's ideas.

Aside from the "plane" and "parachuting" there's basically nothing in common that's unique to PUBG. So it's hardly stealing their idea or anything and doing it better. You can watch 5 seconds of gameplay and see that the similarities pretty much end there.

It's almost like comparing TF2 to CS or something in the differences in gameplay. It's really a stretch to pretend like Epic is trying to out do them in any way at all.

Hell, Fortnite almost looks more like Rust than PUBG.

Ash of Yew on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Unless fortnight has Arma shooting mechanics, then it's similar as CoD DM and UT DM.

• Options
    Unless fortnight has Arma shooting mechanics, then it's similar as CoD DM and UT DM.

Fortnite doesn't even let you aim down sights unless its a sniper rifle as far as I can tell.

• Options
    From what I've seen all the differences are because Fortnite as a base game is different. The ideas they ripped off, they ripped off 100%.

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Fortnite uses the exact same healing items (energy/bandages/firstaid), giant blue wall (when they could use the awesome looking storms already in the game), most direct line to next circle, white/blue circle indicators. Certainly not enough for PUBG to do anything about it. FortG runs super well, I'm convinced it has been in development for a while. Most likely around the time Epic was working with the PUBG devs. It might be a little shady, but as a consumer I really don't care. Turns out Battle Royale is pretty fun and competition is only going to make PUBG better.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    So there I was, far as fuck away from the white circle.. and the blue circle was starting to shrink. An open field with a hill at the end of it lay in front of me. Just as I begin to give up hope a jeep starts to drive by on my left side. I begin firing. The jeep guy knows I'm not going to hit him, and that I'm fucked without a vehicle. He begins honking his horn to taunt me as I miss shot after shot. Just as he's about to disappear over the horizon I let off one more shot in frustration.... the honking stops.... it was a headshot.

FUCKING GLORIOUS. HONK SOME MORE ASSHOLE OH WAIT YOU CANT BECAUSE THERES A BIGASS HOLE IN YOUR FOREHEAAAAD YESSSSSS!

I think I like this game now? i have a lot of mixed feelings over it.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    So is there a PA group for this? I'm having a hard time finding people to play with.

Or is it more because of Destiny 2?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I really want to love the VSS, but it makes it so hard.

I think they should up the default mag size to 20, and reduce the recoil by a lot.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I think it's kinda fine, the recoil isn't too bad. 20 default would put an extended at 30, and I think that becomes a bit much honestly. You can already spam a lot of shots on target right now.

It is in a kinda weird spot where 10 seems low, but I think that's more a result of getting spoiled once you find an extended for it. You gotta slow the pace a little with the default mag, but once you get 20 you can really just tap out a bunch. I burn through ammo fast with the vss.

I'll say the mini 14 with its default 20 mag, along with its laser accuracy and power make the VSS and SKS feel a bit goofy with their 10 round mags. Though I think if anything the mini 14 needs a nerf.

Ash of Yew on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I think I'm cursed with the Mini-14. The second I pick one up, all scopes seem to disappear from the map, and all engagements I get into are at melee range.

EDIT: And alternately, every time I get an SKS I find it, like, with a 4x or 8x and immediately turn into an unstoppable killing machine. Like I don't think in the last week or so that I've gotten the Mini-14 and finished below 50, or gotten the SKS and finished above 10.

Khavall on
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Ash of Yew wrote: »
    I think it's kinda fine, the recoil isn't too bad. 20 default would put an extended at 30, and I think that becomes a bit much honestly. You can already spam a lot of shots on target right now.

It is in a kinda weird spot where 10 seems low, but I think that's more a result of getting spoiled once you find an extended for it. You gotta slow the pace a little with the default mag, but once you get 20 you can really just tap out a bunch. I burn through ammo fast with the vss.

I'll say the mini 14 with its default 20 mag, along with its laser accuracy and power make the VSS and SKS feel a bit goofy with their 10 round mags. Though I think if anything the mini 14 needs a nerf.

If they ever were to upgrade the VSS to the 20 round stock magazine, I think that they should also remove compatability with the sniper rifle extended magazine. Twenty rounds. No more, no less.

Edit:
    Stupid autocorrect. Compatibility, not comparability.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    You're going to see more and more games trying to capitalize on the popularity of the Battle Royale genre. It was popular before PUBG, they just did it better and came off as a dedicated developer that listened to player feedback, pushing regular updates. In contrast to a developers of similar games that more or less just cut and run, it was a breath of fresh air. Months later, are feelings still as positive toward Bluehole? I would say no, particularly after they made decisions like releasing paid crates for an event to "test that system" in early access, while silly glitches remain rampant. While much-wanted features like vaulting, new maps, UI and other quality of life improvements, go unheeded.

So now big brother swoops in and releases not a copy of the game, but a new mode in an existing game. For free. Very similar to aspects of PUBG but also aspects that can be argued are ingrained in the Battle Royale genre. If Bluehole has a legal leg to stand on, it will be in relation to any contractual agreements made in their engine vendor/game develop relationship. They won't get far claiming they copied their game.

I mean look at Paladins vs Overwatch. If Blizzard could squash them with infringement, they'd be a smear right now.

I'm very glad for what Epic has done. We need more competition for popular genres, not less. I already feel that Bluehole has lost momentum on releasing quality updates for the game, so this should put some pressure on them to actually produce. Forget new weapons. Forget new crate systems. I'd like to be able to drive across a flat surface without suddenly being catapulted into the fucking stratosphere. I'd like to be able to aim around a corner without my bullet inexplicably hitting the corner I'm standing behind, a full foot away from my cross-hair. Or even not having to back out of 1 in every 10 games because buildings didn't render for someone in my squad.

Instead of more effort creating cosmetics so that you can flood the Steam Marketplace economy, fix the game. That's what early access is supposed to be for.

Edit: I mean, the very first sentence of the initial press release from Bluehole should give you an idea of their ego-driven behaviour right now. It's embarrassing:
    Bluehole, Inc., developers of PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS (PUBG), the first standalone Battle Royale survival shooter game….

First standalone Battle Royal game? There have been many standalone Battle Royale games.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Many? I'm fairly sure that the previous Battle Royale stuff has all been mods, with the exception of H1Z1. I don't remember if H1Z1 started with the Battle Royale mode, but even if it did, it certainly wasn't the focus, and didn't actually split from the main game until later. I think they are trying to claim that they are the first game built from the ground up to be Battle Royale, which accounts for a lot of their success.

• Options
    The culling immediately springs to mind, just because it's one I had bought. I'm sure there's more, but that alone nullifies the claim =P

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    My normal squad and I had a great run of wins last night and today. I went from not playing any squad FPP games so my rank was 180,000 to 800 today. My duo FPP also dropped to the top 2000. Think we had something like 15 wins in squad and duo in about 25 games played.

Plus I got to play my first fog map! I'm in love. So much more intense and you can finally run across open fields if you get circle/vehicle fucked with is normal. Silenced ump is king in that mode!
    qaaox2j0a60m.jpg
    zcnmpsupgtzv.jpg
    wyhdc91pjpay.jpg

Bloodycow on
    " I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    I would kill a man just to not have to select NA as my region EVERY SINGLE TIME

• Options
    Ash of Yew wrote: »
    The culling immediately springs to mind, just because it's one I had bought. I'm sure there's more, but that alone nullifies the claim =P

Gotcha, I felt like I was forgetting one. I guess if you want to get technical, no one has released a standalone Battle Royale game.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    The Groza is nuts

Finally got my hands on one in a squads game, easiest 7 kills I ever got. That thing has essentially no recoil even without a front attachment.

• Options
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    My normal squad and I had a great run of wins last night and today. I went from not playing any squad FPP games so my rank was 180,000 to 800 today. My duo FPP also dropped to the top 2000. Think we had something like 15 wins in squad and duo in about 25 games played.

Plus I got to play my first fog map! I'm in love. So much more intense and you can finally run across open fields if you get circle/vehicle fucked with is normal. Silenced ump is king in that mode!
    qaaox2j0a60m.jpg
    zcnmpsupgtzv.jpg
    wyhdc91pjpay.jpg

Geeze, nice man!

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Down to 580 now.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Roz wrote: »
    There's literally nothing to sue over though. Game Modes cannot be copywritten. This would be like Dota suing League of Legnds because the map has 3 lanes and minions that go down them with a forest to the sides.

As long as they aren't using PUBG assets (art, music, names, etc), then there's no real complaint. They know by getting into this space what is and isn't allowed. Saying "they copied us, shame on them!" is ridiculous in an industry where everyone copies and borrows from each other.

There could be legal action taken over the potential conflict of interest for sure. Epic is in a unique position here where they would have access to information due to their position as a partner. Copying the game mode is secondary to the fact that they were a partner who copied the game mode.

If Bluehole can show in any way that Epic used their position as a partner to give them a competitive edge here then Epic can get into some shit. Not to mention it looks REALLY bad on Epic to do something like this and is the kind of thing that can give future partners pause when considering using their engine.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Eatin' was good last night!
    euuk50nurdkp.png

I, uh, almost didn't have it. But not bad for my first solo win.

This discussion has been closed.