As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2B Or Not 2B [Nier: Automata]

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Holy shit, second play through
    it saved a recording of me tinkering with the options menu

"Recorded for posterity", huh

Also please tell me that robot's brother from the second play through opening will be okay

for real spoilers about the brother
    for real
    spoilers
    He's alive

mo' spoilers
    and a boss
    wait, really? when did that happen?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Also please tell me that robot's brother from the second play through opening will be okay

for real
    spoilers
    He's alive

mo' spoilers
    and a boss
    wait, really? when did that happen?
    i believe it’s assumed that you fight him as A2 after you beat 21O

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Finished Route C last night, and finished D/E this morning.

Not certain about my thoughts yet. I'll have to think about this a bit. I'm not totally sure that all my questions throughout the story were totally answered, but I'm also not sure that I care.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    Route E spoilers (video)

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular

for real
    spoilers
    He's alive

mo' spoilers
    and a boss

I completely forgot about this,
    please remind me how/where/when

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »

for real
    spoilers
    He's alive

mo' spoilers
    and a boss

I completely forgot about this,
    please remind me how/where/when

Full Route C spoilers
    After you fight 21O

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    DYUBSvlV4AE6fat.png

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Someone

Please

Look

My

Way

• Options
    Someone

Please

Look

My

Way

This was one of my favorite things about Route B.
    That character went from "this is super weird" to "this is incredibly tragic and I just want to give her a hug."

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Finished Route C. Cleaning up some missed quests and weapons before proceeding with endings. Though I did read through some of the Archive intel because I like worldbuilding.
    Well hell, Jackass. Wasn't expecting this to have been who you were.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    God im just realizing I never read Jackass's memo

Anyone remember the name of it so I can just look it up

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    God im just realizing I never read Jackass's memo

Anyone remember the name of it so I can just look it up

machine research report

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Finished Route C. Cleaning up some missed quests and weapons before proceeding with endings. Though I did read through some of the Archive intel because I like worldbuilding.
    Well hell, Jackass. Wasn't expecting this to have been who you were.
    I don't think she did either.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Ending D/E
    So I'm fighting the credits now in this dinky little hacking ship? Fine, stuff's dying fast enough I guess.

Just how many names do I need to shoot? Turning into a real bullet hell here, but I'm still doing fine.

This Square Enix name is tougher than all the rest. Guess it has more--oh God that's a lot of bullets.

DUCK DODGE WEAVE DON'T GET HIT DON'T GET HIT DON'T GET--DAMMIT!

Oh good that wasn't a game over. Let's try this again. Okay got past the first three names and--ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME WITH THAT WALL OF BULLETS?!

NYEEEE NYEEEE NYEEEE FUCK OFF ALL OF YOU CAN THESE CREDITS END YET SHIT DOWN TO ONE HEALTH AGAIN DODGE DODGE D--FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

FINE I'LL ACCEPT THE HELP.

...Okay now I'm pretty sure this would be borderline impossible without the help and also I can no longer tell where my ship is in relation to the bullets because EVERYTHING IS LIGHT.

Would I like to give a message of support? Hell yeah! Would I like to save another player at the cost of my save data? Hell no!

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Ending D/E
    So I'm fighting the credits now in this dinky little hacking ship? Fine, stuff's dying fast enough I guess.

Just how many names do I need to shoot? Turning into a real bullet hell here, but I'm still doing fine.

This Square Enix name is tougher than all the rest. Guess it has more--oh God that's a lot of bullets.

DUCK DODGE WEAVE DON'T GET HIT DON'T GET HIT DON'T GET--DAMMIT!

Oh good that wasn't a game over. Let's try this again. Okay got past the first three names and--ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME WITH THAT WALL OF BULLETS?!

NYEEEE NYEEEE NYEEEE FUCK OFF ALL OF YOU CAN THESE CREDITS END YET SHIT DOWN TO ONE HEALTH AGAIN DODGE DODGE D--FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

FINE I'LL ACCEPT THE HELP.

...Okay now I'm pretty sure this would be borderline impossible without the help and also I can no longer tell where my ship is in relation to the bullets because EVERYTHING IS LIGHT.

Would I like to give a message of support? Hell yeah! Would I like to save another player at the cost of my save data? Hell no!

Concerning the ending choice:
    I totally gave up my save data. I don't regret it.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    You're a monster.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    I'm not done doing stuff yet

• Options
    Yeah, that's the point, if doing the thing cost nothing it wouldn't mean anything.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I bounced off Nier a bit after Route B was looking a bit too much like Route A, but the extra stuff is coming at a fast enough pace at the moment where it's coming into its own pretty good.

I'm at about 55% side quest completion at the moment, having just unlocked the Forest area. There were a few quests that I left unfinished from Route A, not realizing I was coming to the end. Are there any quests that can only be completed at route A?

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    I bounced off Nier a bit after Route B was looking a bit too much like Route A, but the extra stuff is coming at a fast enough pace at the moment where it's coming into its own pretty good.

I'm at about 55% side quest completion at the moment, having just unlocked the Forest area. There were a few quests that I left unfinished from Route A, not realizing I was coming to the end. Are there any quests that can only be completed at route A?

Yes, Jackass' challenges can only be done by 2B.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    I picked this up and finished it in basically one sitting

It was pretty good! Apparently the real game is unlocked over multiple plays? Its a good thing it was real fun/pretty short because I usually wait a couple years before replaying a game.

Someone told me it was wildly important that I had played/understood the original nier before getting into this and I'm kinda pissed. I watched and read a whole shitload of synopsis and summary, and none of it fuckin' mattered outside of recognizing cameos. Look! That's Emil! Look, there's devola and popola! It makes no sense for them to be here, and they add nothing to the plot, but by golly there they are!

• Options
    Ashcroft wrote: »

I did the combat ones, but I think there might have been one with fish too? I didn't do that one.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Knob wrote: »

It was pretty good! Apparently the real game is unlocked over multiple plays? Its a good thing it was real fun/pretty short because I usually wait a couple years before replaying a game.

Someone told me it was wildly important that I had played/understood the original nier before getting into this and I'm kinda pissed. I watched and read a whole shitload of synopsis and summary, and none of it fuckin' mattered outside of recognizing cameos. Look! That's Emil! Look, there's devola and popola! It makes no sense for them to be here, and they add nothing to the plot, but by golly there they are!

It's kind of misleading to call it multiple playthroughs.

It does start out as a replay with differences, but after that there's completely new stuff.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

I did the combat ones, but I think there might have been one with fish too? I didn't do that one.

Minor game spoilers:
    every sidequest can be returned to after ending c or d

I don’t think there were very many quests in general from route a that were accessible on route b, though I could definitely be wrong there

Neco on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

sort of. route B is a partial retrace of route A with differences, and after that is all new story.

don't discount the twins yet, they have more stuff in later routes.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

There's reasons those things are there

It's still not ACTUALLY necessary to know a lot about Nier, the game gives you all the context you'll need to understand shit, but like

There's reasons

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    You're a monster.

Yo people should really quit doing this. Every time people do it is shitty. It's an attitude that the game itself doesn't even present

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Neco wrote: »

Minor game spoilers:
    every sidequest can be returned to after ending c or d

I don’t think there were very many quests in general from route a that were accessible on route b, though I could definitely be wrong there

There were a few I cleaned up, like Father Servo, the Wandering Couple and the Parade, and probably others like Emil’s flowers.

• Options
    You're a monster.

Yo people should really quit doing this. Every time people do it is shitty. It's an attitude that the game itself doesn't even present

Eh, I think it was probably meant as a joke? Like, I don’t think anyone really cares which decision you make. At least I hope not.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    i care

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

whoever told you the original nier was vitally important to understanding autotomato was lying to you and you should throw them into a volcano

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    I would say on an emotional level the Nier 1 cameos add a lot!

But they don't really add anything to the main plot, that's for sure

• Options
    I did a quest for a guy and he mentioned a place called 'Facade' which I assume is a place you can go in the original game, which is cool, but the game treats that information with the reverence it deserves, which is a quick 'well, that's neat I guess, but it's gone now so who cares?'

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    i care
    KTIoQOz.png

• Options
    You're a monster.

1. I don't actually care that much it's a joke
    2. You're not my mom you can't tell me what to do

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Oh

Started my 2nd play

I get it now

• Options
    I’ve done basically no outside reading into the lore or anything behind this game, but I had a shower thought this morning regarding the blindfolds they wear. This is more a gameplay thing, so I’m not gonna spoiler it. I was thinking, is it possible that the blindfolds are a mechanism to allow the Yorha units to block out their own visual sensors and see their surroundings through the perspective of their support Pods? I can see how this would offer them an advantage, as they’d always have full 360 degree awarenesss of their surroundings during combat. It also works in a more meta way, explaining why we’re seeing the view from behind them rather than a first person perspective. Of course this wouldn’t explain why we can see the pods themselves too, but still.

Does this make sense or is it totally dumb? Either way, I’d love to hear people offer their thoughts on the significance of the blindfolds (or in the operators case, the veils).

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Metaphors aside, the blindfolds are almost certainly some high-tech bullshit where it's something like that, or filled with thousands of micro-cameras providing more detailed information than regular eyesight. It's a conceit that's appeared with sci-fi blindfolds before - hell you can look to Platinum's earlier game Metal Gear Rising.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Goth scouters

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Okay and that's Automata 100% completed. Good game, now to figure out what I'm going to play next.