As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2B Or Not 2B [Nier: Automata]

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    It was good, though. Exquisite even.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I would legit play a game about Jackass.

Huh, I was genuinely surprised upon looking it up, that Laura Bailey did not play Jackass

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I would legit play a game about Jackass.

Route [J]ackass

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Taking my time on route B still. I sped through A so fast that I missed a bunch of side quests, so this time I'm stopping between every story mission to make sure I do everything I can when they're available.

Fuckin...robot Shakespeare goddamn. I was cracking the fuck up.

This game rules. Can't wait to see what the hell route C entails.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Jackass is the absolute best.

C Spoiler
    ...So then! To sum up: For hundreds of years, we've been fighting a network of machines with the ghost of humanity at its core. We've been living in a stupid *****ing world where we fight an endless war that we COULDN'T POSSIBLY LOSE, all for the sake of some Council of Humanity on the moon that doesn't even exist.

I don't know what the point is to all this, but I swear I will kill every evolutionary dead-end machine lifeform, as well as every single asshole behind Project YoRHa.
    I'm coming for all your heads. ***** you.

Information Analysis Officer,

Jackass

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    well

route e
    i picked the game back up to get the side quest trophy on my own, farmed money to buy the rest of the trophies just cause

and went through and delete my save

and as it was deleting i was like holy shit what did i do

and i still kinda am...but it was totally the right thing to do

what a game

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    holy fuck the fight against
    Adam in the Copied City was wild

and two seconds later I'm meeting a machine priest, but his head falls off, and now all his followers are saying that he has become a god

this game is absolutely fucking bonkers and I love it

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    BECOME
    AS
    GODS

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    BECOME AS

GODS

• Options
    Route B completed
    Quite a lot of additional story stuff at the end there eh? Kind of figured about the humans, been picking up Project Gestalt reports in various chests to suggest something happened. Though what intrigued me the most was how towards the end digital "ghosts" started to pop up. After the fight with Eve there's two of them standing right next to 2B and 9S. They're not doing anything or speaking but they're casting shadows in the scene so clearly something is up.

I really want to start Route C right now, especially after that little Preview clip, but it is late and I must sleep. So it shall wait for tomorrow. I'm told by some friends that things are about to get wild.

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah. Get ready.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    BECOME
    AS
    GODS

this cannot continue

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    BECOME
    AS
    GODS

this cannot continue

All of you will die and become as gooooooods!

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    This final boss (?) fight is a real wall

I'm out of Healing items
    and al I can do is attack eve with my pod

I'm not sure I can clear this

• Options
    edited March 2018
    This final boss (?) fight is a real wall

I'm out of Healing items
    and al I can do is attack eve with my pod

I'm not sure I can clear this

Change your chip build a bit if you can. The Auto-Heal chip that starts your health regen if you haven’t taken damage in a while is very good for saving health items.

rhylith on
  • Options
    Tried that and got very close, then died

I'll beat it eventually

But holy shit does it suck

An entire game of excellent combat and the final challenge is just "plink away with your shitty pod and don't die"

• Options
    I did it!

Loved the game. Now on to more playthroughs, where apparently the real game begins?

• Options
    I did it!

Loved the game. Now on to more playthroughs, where apparently the real game begins?

They're all the real game, but it's looking like each one builds on the previous and reveals aspects that were previously unexplained or unseen. A layered story.

• Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    It helps to think of A, B and C as chapters rather than playthroughs.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    Before beginning Route C was doing some thinking during work because it is otherwise dreadfully boring and clicked two things together from Route A and Route B.
    Route A you kill Adam and half the machines on the network go crazy and form this doomsday cult around another machine who died, so they think that he became a god. So they start killing everyone then commit suicide so they can also become gods. Lot of crazy going on here. Except maybe it wasn't?

Route B you learn that machines who are not self-aware, like Pascal, are dedicated to copying human mannerisms. Not just copying though, but perfect mimicry without deviation. They outright state that a machine who copies a human facet and fails will then proceed to copy and fail the exact same way every time without changing or adapting. So then, are these doomsday machines really going crazy or are they just copying another part of humans in regards to religion and fanaticism? Not only that, but when the Commander tells you that humans have been dead for centuries, before machines ever even arrived, she follows up with this line: "We need a god worth dying for." It sounds interesting, cryptic, until you look at what the machines are doing and what the Commander has just said. They both seem to be viewing humanity as gods, just in different senses.

To the machines, humans are something to be idolized and mimicked, picking apart everything about them, walking in their footsteps until the advent of Adam and Eve, who are unlike any machines I've seen yet and are more human than anything. Copying, adapting, perfecting, becoming. The machines worship humans and seek to be like them, even their failures. Adam and Eve, view humans as something to strive for. Yes they talk about wanting to dissect humans, but this is also a kind of worship in that as advanced as they are they still consider humans far above them and all their doings are for the goal of understanding that lofty existence.

To the androids, humans are something to be revered and venerated, fighting and dying for them without questioning why. They wage war against the machines, give their bodies and lives to scrape out the slightest bit of territory, and mercilessly punish anyone who betrays the cause as deserters. The androids worship humans and seek to fulfill their wishes, even though they understand nothing about them as seen when the androids are commenting on how odd humans are. But it's humans they serve without question. Very much like a cult, just with a militaristic bent on things.

Like I said, I haven't even started Route C yet, so this is just my observations from Route A and Route B. Curious to see where things go from here.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Well, they go places

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Played the first maybe 2-3 hours of route C last night.

Without giving any spoilers... does it start making sense at some point? Because I’m not gonna lie, I’m completely lost. Nothing that happened at the beginning of route C feels like it makes sense in the context of what happened at the end of A and B. I’m just curious if it’s all going to come together eventually or if I’m simply missing some crucial element of the story.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Started up Route C. Well, that's one hell of an opening hook.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Played the first maybe 2-3 hours of route C last night.

Without giving any spoilers... does it start making sense at some point? Because I’m not gonna lie, I’m completely lost. Nothing that happened at the beginning of route C feels like it makes sense in the context of what happened at the end of A and B. I’m just curious if it’s all going to come together eventually or if I’m simply missing some crucial element of the story.

War Is Bad
    (This is facetious and not the primary theme of the game)

Rainfall on
  • Options
    Ending P attained. Though I did do it on purpose because I guessed it would lead to an ending.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    C should start clearing up, but I dont want to offer explainations that may be spoilery. Anything specifically you're confused about?

If I'm remembering right one part of the story probably leans heaviest on the original NieR - it's not a huge deal in the grand scope of things but it absolutely will be frustrating if you get hung up on it.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    mxmarks wrote: »
    C should start clearing up, but I dont want to offer explainations that may be spoilery. Anything specifically you're confused about?

If I'm remembering right one part of the story probably leans heaviest on the original NieR - it's not a huge deal in the grand scope of things but it absolutely will be frustrating if you get hung up on it.

I think what confused me the most:

ROUTE C SPOILERS
    At the end of Route A/B, we see 9S "die" when he's infected by the virus and 2B has to kill him, but we immediately learn that he somehow distributed his consciousness into the network of machines at the last second to save himself. To me, this implied a change in the nature of how the androids (and 9S specifically) would interact with the machines from that point forward. Because now he's like, a part of their network, right? But then at the beginning of Route C, despite it obviously being a continuation of Route A (as opposed to it being the same story from a different perspective, like Route B was), things are suddenly back to the status quo, where 9S is totes fine and they're back to warring with the machines. Why does 9S just go along with this, knowing what he now knows? Why is 9S even there, since he's now part of the machine network? How did the bunker get infected with the virus in the first place?

Much it (so far at least) feels like it's so disconnected from what led into it, it's hard for me to wrap my head around. That's why I feel like maybe it's just me missing something as opposed to it actually being disconnected, thus my question. For reference, I just finished the first section with 9S in Route C, where he climbs the tower in the Forrest Kingdom and destroys the little light source thing. Last thing I saw was A2 returning to the Resistance Camp before I finally had to save and shut it off for the night.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »

I think what confused me the most:

ROUTE C SPOILERS
    At the end of Route A/B, we see 9S "die" when he's infected by the virus and 2B has to kill him, but we immediately learn that he somehow distributed his consciousness into the network of machines at the last second to save himself. To me, this implied a change in the nature of how the androids (and 9S specifically) would interact with the machines from that point forward. Because now he's like, a part of their network, right? But then at the beginning of Route C, despite it obviously being a continuation of Route A (as opposed to it being the same story from a different perspective, like Route B was), things are suddenly back to the status quo, where 9S is totes fine and they're back to warring with the machines. Why does 9S just go along with this, knowing what he now knows? Why is 9S even there, since he's now part of the machine network? How did the bunker get infected with the virus in the first place?

Much it (so far at least) feels like it's so disconnected from what led into it, it's hard for me to wrap my head around. That's why I feel like maybe it's just me missing something as opposed to it actually being disconnected, thus my question. For reference, I just finished the first section with 9S in Route C, where he climbs the tower in the Forrest Kingdom and destroys the little light source thing. Last thing I saw was A2 returning to the Resistance Camp before I finally had to save and shut it off for the night.

Ending of A/B
    9S didn't really become part of the machine network at the end there. What he did essentially was transfer his consciousness into the surrounding machines, such that that consciousness didn't die. At the start of C that consciousness is back in its 9s body, as opposed to a fresh backup 9s like after the prologue.

I remember being getting confused by this at first too.

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Route A/B Spoilers
    I was under the assumption he'd been afflicted by a virus that turned him into a machine, hence his android body breaking down but his revival in a machine body. He even says he fused together his multiple selves from the machines in the area into one. As such I assumed he wouldn't be able to return to his android body as his current self, but his backup might be able to and then he could try transferring memories perhaps? Automata is pretty blatant about how transient memories and identities are for the machines and the androids. They can die but then restore from their last backup. Though depending on how far that backup was the self of "now" will be different from the self of "then" and while they may share the same name and appearance they may as well be two entirely different people.

Route C opening spoiler
    This also ties into 2B giving her sword to A2. One of the Resistance camp members comments on how Yorha weapons hold the memories of their previous owners. So while 2B is "dead" she still somewhat lives on within A2. This could mean the possibility of her revival at some point, because identity is tied to memory in Nier, and memory can be transferred, altered, and saved. Death isn't the end unless the memory and backup together are corrupted.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Route A/B Spoilers
    I was under the assumption he'd been afflicted by a virus that turned him into a machine, hence his android body breaking down but his revival in a machine body. He even says he fused together his multiple selves from the machines in the area into one. As such I assumed he wouldn't be able to return to his android body as his current self, but his backup might be able to and then he could try transferring memories perhaps? Automata is pretty blatant about how transient memories and identities are for the machines and the androids. They can die but then restore from their last backup. Though depending on how far that backup was the self of "now" will be different from the self of "then" and while they may share the same name and appearance they may as well be two entirely different people.

Route C opening spoiler
    This also ties into 2B giving her sword to A2. One of the Resistance camp members comments on how Yorha weapons hold the memories of their previous owners. So while 2B is "dead" she still somewhat lives on within A2. This could mean the possibility of her revival at some point, because identity is tied to memory in Nier, and memory can be transferred, altered, and saved. Death isn't the end unless the memory and backup together are corrupted.

route C
    9S does not turn into a machine. He gets infected, 2B kills him, but before his android body dies he jumps to the machine network to backup (instead of backing up to the bunker).

The memory stuff is a bit wish-washy, but by the time all that happens there is no bunker anymore so it doesn't really matter

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    As for one of your questions about the bunker:
    All will be explained as to how it got infected, you didnt miss anything yet.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Route C opening spoilers and predictions
    I'm going to guess the Bunker's infection was due to that one android hanging out to the left of the Command Center's balcony mumbling to herself about how no one's found out yet and wondering if any of them remembered what they were even fighting for.

Probably wouldn't be hard to infect some random android down on Earth but don't actively take over just yet and ride their data back to the Bunker. After that just a matter of quietly worming into the system and planting a dormant virus into memory data that can be activated at will. The corrupted android might have even been taken over so slowly she never realized it until it was too late. Machines have been able to mimic humans in other stuff, why not learn from Yorha's own Extermination class androids regarding stealth and subterfuge?

• Options
    I'm going to guess the Bunker's infection was due to that one android hanging out to the left of the Command Center's balcony mumbling to herself about how no one's found out yet and wondering if any of them remembered what they were even fighting for.

Probably wouldn't be hard to infect some random android down on Earth but don't actively take over just yet and ride their data back to the Bunker. After that just a matter of quietly worming into the system and planting a dormant virus into memory data that can be activated at will. The corrupted android might have even been taken over so slowly she never realized it until it was too late. Machines have been able to mimic humans in other stuff, why not learn from Yorha's own Extermination class androids regarding stealth and subterfuge?
    I always assumed it was just a side-effect of re-uploading 9s after he was distributed across the machines.

It wouldn’t explain why 9s was OK, but it made enough sense to me.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

I always assumed it was just a side-effect of re-uploading 9s after he was distributed across the machines.

don't read this if you haven't finished the game, but the answer will be given eventually but if you missed/miss it
    whoever built/designed YoRHa and the bunkers INTENTIONALLY created backdoors in their network that could be opened when desired so that the machine network could infiltrate it when it was time to "wind down" YoRHa. The plans always called for YoRHa being destroyed from the beginning, in an attempt to cover their tracks about how fake the entire system was (as in there's no humans on the moon, no council of humanity, everything YoRHa was founded on being lies, etc.)

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

The Bunker's infection was part of the Yorha infrastructure, not an accident or plot by the machines. When 9S is lying in recovery during route B, he notices something wrong with the uplink so he stops the update for himself and 2B; that update contained the 'virus' that makes Yorha, bunker included, go berserk. Unfortunately the virus was transmittable by other means.

• Options
    Ah yeah forgot about that.

It’s been a long ass time since I beat it

• Options
    Cool, thanks for the clarification and speculation! Sounds like maybe I didn’t miss as much as I thought and just need to keep playing to see if some of this stuff is later answered.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Holy shit, second play through
    it saved a recording of me tinkering with the options menu

"Recorded for posterity", huh

Also please tell me that robot's brother from the second play through opening will be okay

• Options

Also please tell me that robot's brother from the second play through opening will be okay

for real spoilers about the brother
    for real
    spoilers
    He's alive

mo' spoilers
    and a boss

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

I liked that it was a for-real saved recording and not just a fake recording. Like, it had me pausing when trying to figure out what to say to 9S and also me switching the Self-Destruct on and off a few times, and also dinking around in the other settings after that.