Options

[chat]ing with Babish

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Also I super super deep cleaned one of our registers tonight and found a receipt from 22 years ago

Tell us what they bought and how much it was

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Also I super super deep cleaned one of our registers tonight and found a receipt from 22 years ago

Tell us what they bought and how much it was

It's not a receipt in that sense. Just like, a sign-off slip printed when someone went to break or lunch or whatever

I did also find an original, blue-packaging pack winterfresh. Such memories.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Superman is and always has been a Skrull

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Yay.

Won 4/6 games of HOTS tonight.

i'm getting back in the groove.

Prepare lose 4/6 because that's the game

nah, I'm quitting while I'm a head.

• Options
    Is the writing bad, separate from it being an unwanted change to the character

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    What is this Nazi thing

I guess I am not married to comics but I like a variety of stories, interesting to see all the ways a character could spin

It's dumb. I'm gonna put it in spoilers because it's dumb enough to hurt people.
    The Marvel History we've known all along was created by the Allies using the Cosmic Cube as they were losing WWII. Before using the cube Captain America was a Hydra double agent. Now he's been awoken, trapped most of the heroes off of Earth, put a bunch in the Dark dimension and Hydra Helicarriers are sitting over the White House.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    They've made cap a hydra agent, chu. It looked like a typical fake out with it being reality being fucked with but then the lead writer doubled down and was like no cap ever being a good guy was the fuckery. Cap was always evil.

So yeah, Cap is a nazi currently in the comics.
    The important thing to note here is that Captain America was made with the very specific intent of being anti-Nazi when it wasn't yet popular to be anti-Nazi (this was prior to US involvement in World War 2). The creator (Jewish) of the character was very "fuck Hitler, fuck the Nazis."

This guy at Marvel doing this shit is just like... I don't know if he's aware how anti-Semitic he's being. Worse is he doesn't seem to care because he wants to be some goddamn Hot Topic shopping edgelord.

• Options
    As an Israeli I don't think it's antisemitic

Boom privilege ruling

However, based on thom's spoiler it does sound very incredibly stupid

• Options
    porpporp Registered User regular
    I've been laying in bed since 9 pm. Can't fall asleep, threat still hurts and mouth is dry. Ugh. Let me sleeeeep.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I like this article:

The Crucible of the Application Process

http://quillette.com/2017/04/20/crucible-application-process/
    When I would show these drafts to my writing fellows or scholarship advisors, the first question they would ask, almost unanimously, was but why do you care about extreme poverty?

Well, because there’s no single problem on earth responsible for more suffering or needless waste of human life, I would respond.

Yes, but why do you care about extreme poverty?

What on earth did they mean? A number of them followed up by asking if I had witnessed anyone living in extreme poverty. No, I hadn’t. Had I or anyone I know ever contracted malaria or a neglected tropical disease? No. Did I feel I had a responsibility to the developing world as a beneficiary of colonialism? Not particularly. How did my privilege and my identity as a White Westerner contribute to my decision to focus on extreme poverty? It didn’t.

I would have these exchanges over and over again throughout my application process. My essays would state that extreme poverty was the greatest problem in the world and I wanted to help solve it. They would ask why I wanted to help solve it. Because it’s the greatest problem in the world, I would say. And my interlocutor would respond with utter bafflement.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    He's not captain nice place.

• Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    I just had the stupidest game of chess I think I've ever played.

On turn ten I made a got a pawn all the way across the board.

Yes I was playing the computer but dammit it was hilarious.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    porp wrote: »
    I've been laying in bed since 9 pm. Can't fall asleep, threat still hurts and mouth is dry. Ugh. Let me sleeeeep.

*prepared the bludgeoner of slumber* I will strike true

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Superman is and always has been a Skrull

You joke but, back in the 90s,
    599774-returnhome1.jpg

• Options
    But seriously get up for 15 mins and read a book in a chair

You'll get sleepy probably

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Boom privilege ruling

I'd argue that cultural erasure is an act of hate. In this case, the erasure of a Jewish man's work which said "fuck you" to anti-Semites is anti-Semitic.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    They've made cap a hydra agent, chu. It looked like a typical fake out with it being reality being fucked with but then the lead writer doubled down and was like no cap ever being a good guy was the fuckery. Cap was always evil.

So yeah, Cap is a nazi currently in the comics.
    The important thing to note here is that Captain America was made with the very specific intent of being anti-Nazi when it wasn't yet popular to be anti-Nazi (this was prior to US involvement in World War 2). The creator (Jewish) of the character was very "fuck Hitler, fuck the Nazis."

This guy at Marvel doing this shit is just like... I don't know if he's aware how anti-Semitic he's being. Worse is he doesn't seem to care because he wants to be some goddamn Hot Topic shopping edgelord.

And the insulting part is the way it's written is this

1. Captain was always actually a nazi.
    2. The allies altered reality to change that
    3. Cap is a nazi again

So the only way to fix this is a dumb as fuck retcon or for the allies to re-write history again. The problem is, that means that really cap is a bad guy who just got cosmic cubed. It taints cap irrevocably

The only choice is to retcon the fuck out of it which is TERRIBLE writing

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Oh hey 21st Century you asked the other day if I was enjoying Horizon Zero Dawn and I hadn't played it yet

Well I played it all weekend and it's been a joy

There's a couple little quality of life things I dislike (dpad for items could be implemented better, no crafting potions on the fly) but that's mostly just nitpicking

It's a beautiful game and challenging and you can try out different strategies and I just love it so much I wish I was home playing it now

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    porpporp Registered User regular
    I also learned (from my mom who was recounting last weeks events to me) that I was one step away from being intubated. Fun stuff.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

Boom privilege ruling

I'd argue that cultural erasure is an act of hate. In this case, the erasure of a Jewish man's work which said "fuck you" to anti-Semites is anti-Semitic.

I would disagree!

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Boom privilege ruling

It's pretty stupid and it follows on the heels of an artist putting in some shit in the background of a comic that was intended to be antisemitic. So the optics are really, really bad.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I hate to umm.. contradict someone of the lineage but no yeah it's definitely antisemitic if you know the history of Cap

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Oh hey 21st Century you asked the other day if I was enjoying Horizon Zero Dawn and I hadn't played it yet

There's a couple little quality of life things I dislike (dpad for items could be implemented better, no crafting potions on the fly) but that's mostly just nitpicking

It's a beautiful game and challenging and you can try out different strategies and I just love it so much I wish I was home playing it now

Rad, i think i'll pick it up after PERSONA5

• Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

Boom privilege ruling

I would disagree!
    Yeah, I know you would.

• Options
    And all the hate behind this Captain America shit aside, really, it's not even compelling. It's just stupidly shallow.

• Options

It is beautiful in HDR

THE COLORS, CHILDREN

https://youtu.be/g_PoCcBcpsg

• Options
    I hate to umm.. contradict someone of the lineage but no yeah it's definitely antisemitic if you know the history of Cap

Did Kirby create Hydra as a parallel to the Nazis back in the day? I need to look this up.

• Options
    I freely contradict someone of the lineage because I live with someone of said lineage who is aware of this shit, agrees that it is hateful (not solicited for that opinion), and actually helped me to phrase all the stuff about cultural erasure surrounding it.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

Did Kirby create Hydra as a parallel to the Nazis back in the day? I need to look this up.

Hydra doesn't show up in comics till the mid-60's. It was just mooks but pretty quickly gets turned into Nazis. Originally Cap punched Nazis.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    The problem is, that means that really cap is a bad guy who just got cosmic cubed. It taints cap irrevocably
    I don't think that's true. Even if they have the same name, they're very different and exist in different versions of the universe. They're different people. So I don't think one's sins or flaws carry over to the other.

• Options
    Hydra appeared in 1965 and was Baron Von Strucker's thing. He worked for Hitler. They are Nazis.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    I like this article:

The Crucible of the Application Process

http://quillette.com/2017/04/20/crucible-application-process/
    When I would show these drafts to my writing fellows or scholarship advisors, the first question they would ask, almost unanimously, was but why do you care about extreme poverty?

Well, because there’s no single problem on earth responsible for more suffering or needless waste of human life, I would respond.

Yes, but why do you care about extreme poverty?

What on earth did they mean? A number of them followed up by asking if I had witnessed anyone living in extreme poverty. No, I hadn’t. Had I or anyone I know ever contracted malaria or a neglected tropical disease? No. Did I feel I had a responsibility to the developing world as a beneficiary of colonialism? Not particularly. How did my privilege and my identity as a White Westerner contribute to my decision to focus on extreme poverty? It didn’t.

I would have these exchanges over and over again throughout my application process. My essays would state that extreme poverty was the greatest problem in the world and I wanted to help solve it. They would ask why I wanted to help solve it. Because it’s the greatest problem in the world, I would say. And my interlocutor would respond with utter bafflement.

This was a very enjoyable article; thanks for posting.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Fuck I roll my eyes so hard when someone says a character that can be written by multiple people is tainted irrevocably

Cool, cool. If that was the case, I'd have fucking burned marvel to the ground after their awful skull shit or could war or god it hurts to even say it Ultimate Avengers 3 it hurts us

• Options
    Fuck I roll my eyes so hard when someone says a character that can be written by multiple people is tainted irrevocably

Cool, cool. If that was the case, I'd have fucking burned marvel to the ground after their awful skull shit or could war or god it hurts to even say it Ultimate Avengers 3 it hurts us
    I mean, it's not irrevocable. But it does mean "everyone ready for the series to reset yet again?"

• Options

I mean, it's not irrevocable. But it does mean "everyone ready for the series to reset yet again?"
    I mean that'd be a blessing in disguise the universe merge shit was dumb as fuck.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    someday

I don't know why

I am going to get drunk

get one of those awful visual novel games on steam

stream it

and either laugh or puke or both until I pass out or finish the game

just ask @p10 to gift you panzermadels,

• Options
    Most things mainstream comics does is stupid as shit is my point. Do I wish everyone was going fuck Nazis right now and not making their main symbol of anti Nazis a nazi? Yes.

Yes times a nuclear bomb we dropped on hitler in the other verse

• Options

I mean that'd be a blessing in disguise the universe merge shit was dumb as fuck.

Woah, hey now, the lead up to that merging stuff was good reading.

• Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Good night my fellow awful, awful retcons

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    you are of course free to disagree. i was kidding about jew primacy, tho i notice as always that there is a lot less delicacy and stumbling when jews try to assert positioned thinking. :P

but this strikes me as similar to misrepresentation in casting or whatever- if everyone was only writing universes where jews got fucked over (or an important jewish author's work was retconned), that'd be indicative of an industry with problems. as in that context, tho, i am generally unmoved by single instances. maybe the dude's an edgelord but it does not strike me as innately hateful to retell a story in a scandalous way.

(which of course isn't to say that the retelling isn't stupid or uncompelling or edgelord)

This discussion has been closed.