As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 Is out, press PLAY now.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I'm glad that Guardians 2 came out and gave me a definitive favorite

I was pretty tired of waffling between The Winter Soldier and GOTG1

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    The hulk/Ruffalo is what cements the Avengers as one of my top 5ish of the Marvel movies, especially his interactions with Thor and Loki. Honestly Avengers 1 is pretty rough now, and god help you if you watch it in anything beyond 1080p, and even then that might be too high. The effects do not do well with close scrutiny. I remember a time my buddy was watching it and he loves the motion smoothing effect on HD TVs. Good lord, I've never seen anything worse than Avengers with motion smoothing, and motion smoothing makes everything bad!

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    So yeah, I think this is my new favorite MCU film.

Like, it's not perfect and has some issues, but god damn it fixed everything I didn't like about the first one and did more of everything I loved.

There are so many great moments in this film I could not possibly cover them all.

But one part caught me off guard, and it kinda obliterated me.
    He might be your 'father', but he's not your 'daddy'.

ZikeKgJ.gif
    THen Starhawk and all the ravagers show up out of respect for what he did.

dpiyTaL.gif
    And then every one of them salutes him, accepting him as one of their own again.

cRXTS6h.gif

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I still keep going back to what I thought was just a great delivery of

"That's muh underwears..."

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    So yeah, I think this is my new favorite MCU film.

Like, it's not perfect and has some issues, but god damn it fixed everything I didn't like about the first one and did more of everything I loved.

There are so many great moments in this film I could not possibly cover them all.

But one part caught me off guard, and it kinda obliterated me.
    He might be your 'father', but he's not your 'daddy'.

ZikeKgJ.gif
    THen Starhawk and all the ravagers show up out of respect for what he did.

dpiyTaL.gif
    And then every one of them salutes him, accepting him as one of their own again.

cRXTS6h.gif
    He said "Welcome to the friggin Guardians of the Galaxy."

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Iron Man is quaint nowadays. Marvel movies has gotten way better since then.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    My favorite joke
    The Zune!

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I just saw this!
    I think it leaned a little hard on the songs and the jokey jokes, but overall it was pretty darn good!

I was a little surprised we didn't get any Avenger cameos with Ego's spore explosion on Earth, but that's not a bad thing.

I'm beyond baffled as to how Marvel got the rights to the Watcher back, but I'm so glad they did! That was actually maybe the high point of the film for me.

But seriously, Marvel, STOP. KILLING. YOUR. VILLAINS.

Speculation for Infinity War:
    I'm wondering if Nebula will get to Thanos and try to kill him, only to be used as his zombie puppet a la the original Infinity Gauntlet.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The thing that surprised me the most was the non-presence of
    the Soul Gem. It's the last one missing, and we've only got 2 MCU movies before Infinity War starts up. So either we're going to see it in Thor 3, or Thanos already has it, right? Or is it possible it's in Warlock and that's how it'll be introduced?

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Regarding the villain
    Ego has such an easy out for still being alive. There were pieces of him scattered across the universe, just because his core died doesn't mean he did. He was basically just a sentient plant in the movie, he can pull a groot and come back whenever from one of his seeds, probably with greatly diminished power. It would even make for a good MCU version of his comics counterpart if later Ego proved to be necessary for the galaxy, and Quill had to deal with him a la his comicbook King Dad in a really uncomfortable relationship that didnt involve being shot to pieces.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    Regarding the villain
    Ego has such an easy out for still being alive. There were pieces of him scattered across the universe, just because his core died doesn't mean he did. He was basically just a sentient plant in the movie, he can pull a groot and come back whenever from one of his seeds, probably with greatly diminished power. It would even make for a good MCU version of his comics counterpart if later Ego proved to be necessary for the galaxy, and Quill had to deal with him a la his comicbook King Dad in a really uncomfortable relationship that didnt involve being shot to pieces.

I buy this theory way more for Ultron.
    There being a secret backup copy of Ultron that upgrades itself before testing the Avengers again is extremely on brand. Ego WAS his core, I think him coming back from that would be quite the cop out.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    The thing that surprised me the most was the non-presence of
    the Soul Gem. It's the last one missing, and we've only got 2 MCU movies before Infinity War starts up. So either we're going to see it in Thor 3, or Thanos already has it, right? Or is it possible it's in Warlock and that's how it'll be introduced?
    I guarantee that Thor Ragnarok will involve the soul stone.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    Also maybe i saw it wrong, but i loved that after 34 years
    that Dairy Queen didn't get remodeled except for the sign, much like all dairy queens
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    I am always curious as to whether or not folks who put Iron Man at the top of their list have watched it recently

It is absolutely not a bad movie, but I don't think it has aged super well and has fallen down to around the middle of my personal ranking

It suffers the same problem that most origins have. Movies over about 45 minutes before it ends and then we get some slapdash climax.

But I really don't understand how many people seem to hate IM3 so.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    I rewatched Iron Man last year and it's still better than the vast majority of MCU films in my mind. Tony has a complete arc and it's far more sympathetic watching him go through that process the first time rather than the fourth. Probably my second fave after Winter Soldier?

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Kyougu wrote: »
    My favorite joke
    The Zune!

Mine is
    Peter: You'd put your turd in my pillow?

Rocket: Hah, no. I'd use Drax's

Drax: HAH! I HAVE FAMOUSLY HUGE TURDS!

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    One thing I realized I want in Infinity War
    Goldblum's Grandmaster and Del Toro's Collector meeting up. A scene of those two interacting would be amazing. Throw in someone like maybe George Takei as Contemplator and Kathy Bates as Judicator.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Iron man's still pretty good but it's no thor 2

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    Iron man's still pretty good but it's no thor 2

Thank god

• Options
    Badablack wrote: »
    Regarding the villain

Oh that reminds me of one of my only complaints about the film.
    Booo to using Ego as yet another disposable MCU villain.

I grew up with the Silver Surfer animated series, and I would have much preferred a benign Ego that we could see again later.

I mean, we've got Infinity War coming up, I'd love to have more Ego around for that.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I just saw this!
    I think it leaned a little hard on the songs and the jokey jokes, but overall it was pretty darn good!

I was a little surprised we didn't get any Avenger cameos with Ego's spore explosion on Earth, but that's not a bad thing.

I'm beyond baffled as to how Marvel got the rights to the Watcher back, but I'm so glad they did! That was actually maybe the high point of the film for me.

But seriously, Marvel, STOP. KILLING. YOUR. VILLAINS.

Speculation for Infinity War:
    I'm wondering if Nebula will get to Thanos and try to kill him, only to be used as his zombie puppet a la the original Infinity Gauntlet.
    I am 100% okay with them killing Ego

Dude absolutely deserved it and he's such a big,
    both literal and figuratively, threat that I don't know how they could bring him back in a satisfying way after this story. There are way more villains who would be better used in the cosmic setting.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Batista did an interview where he says that
    Drax and Mantis have a platonic "big brother, little sister" relationship as far as he is concerned and doesn't view it as romantic at all.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    They didn't do a super good job of making that clear

• Options
    I agree but am happy that he confirmed it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I thought it was pretty clear when he said she reminded him of his daughter, and they both stated flat out that they don't have any attraction to each other.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Tube wrote: »

...how?
    They spent their entire time together hanging out, but both of them made it clear multiple times that they aren't attracted to one another.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Drax and Mantis have a platonic "big brother, little sister" relationship as far as he is concerned and doesn't view it as romantic at all.

Did that need clarification?
    He compares her to his daughter more than zero times, and harps on about how hideous she is, and starts retching and gagging at the thought of being with her physically

You couldn't have made their relationship more aggressively unromantic and unsexual while still having them connect emotionally

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    AJR wrote: »
    I thought it was pretty clear when he said she reminded him of his daughter, and they both stated flat out that they don't have any attraction to each other.

This is less convincing when these scenes keep taking place next to
    Quill and Gamora and "unspoken feelings"

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »

He compares her to his daughter more than zero times, and harps on about how hideous she is, and starts retching and gagging at the thought of being with her physically

You couldn't have made their relationship more aggressively unromantic and unsexual while still having them connect emotionally
    Considering a fair amount of people thought it was, I would argue it isn't as clear as you are making it
    Specifically he later says she does have meat on her bones and then says she's beautiful (on the inside).

There was absolutely room to interpret it as romantic given that the last major interactions they have is Drax going "shit, I was totally wrong about her"

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Considering a fair amount of people thought it was, I would argue it isn't as clear as you are making it
    Specifically he later says she does have meat on her bones and then says she's beautiful (on the inside).

There was absolutely room to interpret it as romantic given that the last major interactions they have is Drax going "shit, I was totally wrong about her"
    He doesn't say she does have meat on her bones

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Then what does he say when she makes Ego sleep? It was a bit garbled so I could totally be wrong

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

Doesn't he specifically mention she DOESN'T have meat on her bones, and that precedes the retching?

And she says he's not even the sort of thing she's attracted to?

Like, they're mutually physically repelled by each other even if they care about each other (Drax especially)

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm a little bothered by the resolution of Mantis' arc in the movie
    specifically that there isn't one

She's kinda done in the movie after she makes Ego sleep more

There's no "hey you're on the team now" or even a "what do you think about anything that happened"

She's still there but basically invisible

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Then what does he say when she makes Ego sleep? It was a bit garbled so I could totally be wrong
    "You don't have to believe in yourself, because I believe in you"
    then, "I didn't think she could do it"

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

They almost stated it directly.
    Drax literally tells her she reminds him of his daughter.

Edit: Maybe I should have read the rest of the thread before making that post.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    Mantis wasn't a very good character. Hot take!

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Mantis wasn't a very good character. Hot take!

Yeah, I didn't really care for how they adapted her for this movie, nor for how many of her interactions with Drax went.

EDIT: And on a related note, Drax was definitely handed the most jokes that just landed dead on arrival. It wasn't even Bautista's fault. I think he did the best anyone could with the what he was given.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I loved all the Drax/Mantis stuff so much
    "He was just telling me how I'm ugly, and a pet!"

• Options
    Way to neg people Drax.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I liked mantis :(

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I think the Drax scene I loved the most
    was when he was talking to Quill about how he met his wife.

And I actually started to think that the movie was gonna show that Drax was right in the end, but no, it's Movie Law that Gamora and Quill get together.

IKknkhU.gif