As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 Is out, press PLAY now.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    rhylith wrote: »
    I liked mantis :(

I mean I kind of liked her because the performance is so good but she felt like a very stock character type.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    rocket for me wore the mantle of most obnoxious jokes

like half his dialogue is derisive laughter signaling the humor of the funny thing

i still liked him for the most part; it's an issue with the movie's batting average for its jokes, not rocket's characterization, i think

funnily enough, the success-to-failure ratio of the movie's jokes somewhat resembles a batting average, but in spite of this i still found it funny overall and enjoyed it. its highs were very high!

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Yeah, it does say something about the rest of the writing in the movie that I still enjoyed it quite a bit even with it turning one of my favorite characters from the comic book into a punching bag for jokes.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    This is why I enjoyed the movie a lot but could easily write a review that sounds like I hated it.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »
    My favorite joke
    The Zune!

Mine is
    Peter: You'd put your turd in my pillow?

Rocket: Hah, no. I'd use Drax's

Drax: HAH! I HAVE FAMOUSLY HUGE TURDS!
    I'm
    Mary
    Poppins
    Y'all.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I think where I land on this is I think it's a better movie than the first one in just about every way, but I still like the first one more

Because it was the first one and I hadn't seen what they would do with this before

The aesthetic and the characterization and the tone were all new, and it's hard to get that feeling back on a second go-around

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    there were a handful of big laughs for me, but one of the funniest moments came early in the movie
    where, with everyone in the sovereign fleet who's already "out" excitedly crowded around and cheering him on, the pilot of the only ship that had managed to follow the guardians through the quantum asteroid field has his ship destroyed by drax

and everyone just rolls their eyes and leaves, totally over it, as one guy loudly opines "you suck, sylax"

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    I mean repeatedly and emphatically telling each other that they were not attractive seemed like definitely turning down the romance option

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I think the first movie is much better put-together, in its way, but this one has some parts that are superior. The lowered misogyny quotient really helps! So does having a villain who is good.

I'd have a hard time picking between them

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I think the first movie is much better put-together, in its way, but this one has some parts that are superior. The lowered misogyny quotient really helps! So does having a villain who is good.

I'd have a hard time picking between them

Gamora lifts a giant spaceship cannon over her shoulder like it's no big thing.

This movie is clearly superior.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Snowbear wrote: »
    I mean repeatedly and emphatically telling each other that they were not attractive seemed like definitely turning down the romance option

It helps to remember that both characters have no real concept of how to be subtle. Especially Drax.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    Yeah I loved the movie and laughed a lot, but there were a TON of moments where jokes just didn't land at all and it felt like they were trying too hard.

Whereas like, the first movie didn't have any moments where I was going "I can see that that was *supposed* to be a joke, and why it was *supposed* to be funny but I'm not laughing".

Overall I might have liked it more than the original if only cause they could jump right in without all the introductions.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I think the only joke I didn't like from the first movie was the Kevin Bacon one

I feel like they all landed here

• Options
    I think the only joke I didn't like from the first movie was the Kevin Bacon one

I feel like they all landed here

Man did I hate that Kevin Bacon gag

The equivalent here would be the Hasselhoff stuff which I thought was 1000x better

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

I mean I kind of liked her because the performance is so good but she felt like a very stock character type.

She is very much the "I don't know social interactions" stock character. If this were a 90s high school movie, she'd be the mousy nerd girl.

But they didn't turn her into the "teach me to love" sci-fi stock character.
    Instead she spends the entire time bouncing off of the other "I don't get social interactions" character, Drax. Which is great, because you get to learn a lot more about both of them through this. If they spent their time bouncing off the other characters, it'd be a joke about how they're so bad at socializing. Instead, they get to be awkward, forward, and sincere without having to be good at socializing.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    One thing for Vol. 3
    I hope that Zune has some music from after the mid 80s on it, if only to see how Peter reacts

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    One thing for Vol. 3
    I hope that Zune has some music from after the mid 80s on it, if only to see how Peter reacts

All Star, Blue Monday, With Arms Wide Open and other amazing hits everyone wishes they could forget from the 90s!

• Options
    One thing I'm annoyed by in the leadup to this movie
    all of James Gunn's shittalking about J'son, when his replacement father in his version is J'son But Magic

What I don't care for about J'son is it makes Peter into an important dude by birth when I like him as a self-made man who comes from nothing

and I guess it turns out that all James Gunn didn't like was the name, because his version makes Peter into an immortal god-being/lord of creation

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    To be fair

It's a really dumb name

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    I think the Drax scene I loved the most
    was when he was talking to Quill about how he met his wife.

And I actually started to think that the movie was gonna show that Drax was right in the end, but no, it's Movie Law that Gamora and Quill get together.
    I did like how Drax's reasoning was that he wasn't a dancer and his wife wasn't a dancer, while Peter was and Gamora wasn't, therefore Peter should find someone who is.

Then we find out Gamora can secretly dance.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    I think the end to the unspoken romance should have been
    that Drax was right and they're fundamentally unsuited for each other. There wasn't an unspoken thing from her end, and Quill should learn to take no for an answer.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    One thing for Vol. 3

@Blankzilla, give me your Vol. 3 playlist.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I thought Rocket's jokes in this one were more annoying/less funny intentionally, because he's trying to get attention/approval/cover up his insecurities, and the closer you get to that level the worse and more offensive/defensive your deflection becomes.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Also, I'm really curious to see if they go with Mantis as the Celestial Madonna comic storyline. There has to be a reason Ego picked her out of all the empaths in the galaxy, right?

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    One thing for Vol. 3

Oh christ, okay.

This is gonna be a little bit.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    One thing for Vol. 3

Oh christ, okay.

It is I, Zonugal, the master distractor!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    My favorite part:
    I'm gonna make some weird shit.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    My favorite part:
    I'm gonna make some weird shit.

That line felt like an ad-lib to me.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »

She is very much the "I don't know social interactions" stock character. If this were a 90s high school movie, she'd be the mousy nerd girl.

But they didn't turn her into the "teach me to love" sci-fi stock character.
    Instead she spends the entire time bouncing off of the other "I don't get social interactions" character, Drax. Which is great, because you get to learn a lot more about both of them through this. If they spent their time bouncing off the other characters, it'd be a joke about how they're so bad at socializing. Instead, they get to be awkward, forward, and sincere without having to be good at socializing.

Side note
    I really love the scene where Drax is thinking of his wife and mantis touches him and just immediately starts breaking down all " how can you even stand it". I think they really threaded the needle nicely with him being someone who has found a new family and loved him deeply but still feels the pain from what he lost.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    KlendyKlendy Goomy GoomyGoomyRegistered User regular
    best joke
    the bit about the antennae being for anything other than door decapitation

goomyisall400.jpg

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    The family moments had me close to tears

Almost all of them

Drax and Mantis

Peter and his dad

Peter and his daddy

Peter and what's his name

The unrequited love

Poor Rocket and everyone

Gamora and Nebula

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Upon further reflection i have decided that the worst part of this movie is that no line is as quotable in everyday conversations as "I'm Star Lord"

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    Upon further reflection i have decided that the worst part of this movie is that no line is as quotable in everyday conversations as "I'm Star Lord"
    "Yes, Drax, I have a penis."

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    David_T wrote: »

And it ain't bad

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

And it ain't bad

I LOVED everyone's intrigued looks at this line

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I really really loved
    the zune. Because I use to have one. Me and like six other people

• Options
    One thing for Vol. 3

Oh christ, okay.

It is I, Zonugal, the master distractor!
    Okay @Zonugal my picks, with a little help from @Theodore Floosevelt in no particular order
    with the cut off being 2006 since thats the last time anyone actually bought a Zune
    Tougher Than Leather - Run DMC
    Float On - Modest Mouse
    Car - Built to Spill
    Romeo and Juliet - Dire Straits
    Birdhouse in Your Soul - They Might Be Giants
    Cherub Rock - Smashing Pumpkins
    The Seed (2.0) - The Roots
    Kiss From A Rose - Seal
    Huddle Formation - The Go! Team
    I Left My Wallet in El Segundo - A Tribe Called Quest
    Singin' A Melody - Bill Fox
    Spiderweb - No Doubt
    19-2000 (Soulchild Mix) - Gorillaz
    Mr. Tough - Yo La Tengo

Tried to avoid too many super recognizable super popular hits

It ain't perfect but whatever that's too much music to sift through

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I loved that joke because firstly it was so perfect and then it seemed like no-one else in my cinema got the joke and that just made it even more funny to me, I was quietly cackling for about 5 minutes after that.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    I'm Mary Poppins y'all!

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Found on Tumblr:

tumblr_opk4oqAYVL1r2llr3o1_1280.jpg

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan