As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 Is out, press PLAY now.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Is anyone else as pleased as I am that Yondu's Ravager sub-lieutenant/friend survived the whole movie? I actually grew to like his character, in the few bits he had on screen. I empathized over how hard it can feel to love someone like a father, knowing that every time he will absolutely pick his "real" kid over you.

And then of course, after he breaks them out and escapes from the Ravager ship, what is it Yondu does next? Takes them on an incredibly dangerous rescue mission for this exact charmed kid, fighting an entire living planet. Like, that guy just couldn't catch a break.

But his, "They killed all my friends" line just got me.
    Well, Gunn wasn't going to kill his brother now was he?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Ego's thing of
    I had to kill her or I'd have to stay with her doesn't really make sense for a creature who would think on a geological time scale.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Ego's thing of
    I had to kill her or I'd have to stay with her doesn't really make sense for a creature who would think on a geological time scale.
    His thing was "If I went back, I would never leave", and he had to return to the planet Ego or the avatar would decay and die. He's all about himself, even in avatar form. So even though the planet could have made another avatar, the avatar wouldn't have seen that as acceptable.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I would have preferred it if they'd focused more on ego as a giant planet with a moustache with the avatar not mattering hugely.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    it's clear that ego doesn't think on a geological timescale despite what he claims and is in fact quite an impatient planet

He mentions meeting Meredith "not long after"
    Discovering life to begin with, which initially seems like not long in the cosmic sense, but later seems to be not long in our sense too. He has gathered many of his children within yondu and mantis' lifetime, it seems to be what he was doing for the 25 years that quill was in space. He probably knew about quill being in space already but wasn't in any rush to get to him until he heard that he held the power stone so had a better chance of being celestial.

I bet his relationship with Meredith was not even particularly exceptional, and he "loved" all the others about as much and had to tumor them too

For that matter quill might still have siblings out there, who maybe even got the celestial in em even with ego dead. I kind of don't believe that actuallygoes away with his death rather than jt being the last desperate plea of a planet defined by its egotism

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    Regarding Ego
    I appreciated how understated his selfishness was in a movie already way too on the nose about telling the audience what to feel. Apart from literally being named Ego, they had Russel play the character in a way that didn't seem self absorbed when all his actions would indicate otherwise.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Is anyone else as pleased as I am that Yondu's Ravager sub-lieutenant/friend survived the whole movie? I actually grew to like his character, in the few bits he had on screen. I empathized over how hard it can feel to love someone like a father, knowing that every time he will absolutely pick his "real" kid over you.

And then of course, after he breaks them out and escapes from the Ravager ship, what is it Yondu does next? Takes them on an incredibly dangerous rescue mission for this exact charmed kid, fighting an entire living planet. Like, that guy just couldn't catch a break.

But his, "They killed all my friends" line just got me.

Sean Gunn is a delight

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    Ego's thing of
    His thing was "If I went back, I would never leave", and he had to return to the planet Ego or the avatar would decay and die. He's all about himself, even in avatar form. So even though the planet could have made another avatar, the avatar wouldn't have seen that as acceptable.
    Alternatively, it would also make him reconsider his commitment to the whole make the galaxy ME plan, and he couldn't have that.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Saw this last night, really liked it! But I saw it at the drive in and the guy in front of us was being a dick so I missed part of it, and they totally had announcements over the end credits so I missed the stingers

• Options
    Also seeing this prompted the lady and I to start discussing movies with good music/music cues so we went home and watch The Blues Brothers.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Saw this last night, really liked it! But I saw it at the drive in and the guy in front of us was being a dick so I missed part of it, and they totally had announcements over the end credits so I missed the stingers
    There were mostly goofy ones. Kraglin trying out Yondu's arrow and stabbing Drax,
    surly Teen Groot sassing Quill, etc.

The significant ones are the High Priestess of The Sovereign creating Adam Warlock to kill the Guardians and Stallone reuniting the Ravager Head honchos into a squad to steal some shit

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    So was Jeff Goldblum originally going to cameo in this movie then, it's a little weird he's dancing away in the credits at one point but not in the actual film

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I think it's just, like, a secret stinger cameo probably, not that his character wouldn't fit in or anything, I was actually waiting for him to show up before I remembered he wasn't in this movie.

• Options
    Wasn't there suppose to be a cameo of
    Wonder Man?

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Wasn't there suppose to be a cameo of
    Wonder Man?
    It got cut for time. It was less of a Stab Lee style cameo and more of an actual Easter Egg-y one

The town that EgoBlob takes over was gonna have a Simon Williams film festival going on with posters featuring Nathan Fillion as him

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

lol at anyone putting The First Avenger that low

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I got to the theater late because the subway tunnel got flooded by rain.
    I started the movie at "I'm your dad, Peter."

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Added to the estimated opening domestically the film's global cume totals $427.6 million, which helps push the worldwide cume for the Marvel Cinematic Universe over $11.3 billion.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Heh, cume

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    heh, cume

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Heh, cume?

• Options
    edited May 2017
    I'm starting to warm on the film a bit more with time the further I get from my viewing. I walked out of the theater thinking it was overlong and a tonal mess but I keep laughing at jokes I remember.

It just goes to show that being legitimately entertaining goes a long way. I need to rewatch it though I don't know if I'll see it again in theaters

Guek on
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I was worried during Come a Little Bit Closer that maybe this scene was just too much for most people, despite how giddy I was at the whole thing.

Glad other people seemed to have enjoyed it as much as I did.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    HehcUme, one of the many character classes in Phantasy Star Online

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Come a Little Bit Closer is another track I was unfamiliar with, but I really dug it

They have to be putting out another soundtrack again, right? I imagine Awesome Mix Vol. 1 must have done pretty well

EDIT: Yep, $10 on Amazon

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017

lol at anyone putting The First Avenger that low

The real crime on this list is both Thor movies not being tied for Incredible Hulk at dead last.

My girlfriend surprised me by coming back into town last night and taking me to see this movie! I was going to have to wait for her until next week but she cut her visit to her parents short.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I think the song I'm most unfamiliar with in this one is actually The Chain

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    I do wish Fox on the Run had been in the movie itself, rather than just the trailer.

It is a really good song.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I am always curious as to whether or not folks who put Iron Man at the top of their list have watched it recently

It is absolutely not a bad movie, but I don't think it has aged super well and has fallen down to around the middle of my personal ranking

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I am always curious as to whether or not folks who put Iron Man at the top of their list have watched it recently

It is absolutely not a bad movie, but I don't think it has aged super well and has fallen down to around the middle of my personal ranking

I watched it again maybe last month, and it's still really good (for me at least).

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    But I'm all about that Tony Stark.

Put him in every MCU movie.

• Options
    See I like Tony Stark

But I think Iron Man 3/AoU/Civil War Tony has become a much more interesting character to watch and it makes it a little tough to go back to Square One Tony

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    The first Iron Man movie has such a zesty energy about it, largely because its a superhero film wrapped around great actors improvising/ad-libbing.

And while I'd agree with @Blankzilla that current Tony Stark is a much better character, Robert Downey Jr. is still really fun to watch in that role (even his first time in it).

Zonugal on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Zonugal wrote: »
    The first Iron Man movie has such a zesty energy about it, largely because its a superhero film wrapped around great actors improvising/ad-libbing.

And while I'd agree with @Blankzilla that current Tony Stark is a much better character, Robert Downey Jr. is still really fun to watch in that role (even his first time in it).

I would also add that being the first film it isn't bogged down by the expanded universe. I think a lot of the Marvel movies lose a bit of charm do to them being beholden to the greater narrative. Also in the first one Stark is just such a sleaze in the beginning. Like he has issues in all the movies, but he is just so unrepentant in his greasiness in the first one. I love it.

Also goddamn, the first couple times he suits up in the lab, first with the unpainted prototype then with the first actual suit. I still get goose bumps at that. IT is just so incredibly bad ass. I'm also a sucker for the tech based super heroes.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Also it's the first time seeing Tony/Pepper banter. We had no idea it was going to be that good.

• Options
    But I'm all about that Tony Stank.

Fixed

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Blankzilla wrote: »

My wife absolutely loves Iron Man. It is the stick against which all other are measured. I think it's just because it was the one that started it all.

Or maybe she wants to fuck RDJ. Who knows

Point is, she loves the fuck out of that movie, it is hands down her #1 favorite. No matter how many times we watch it or any others.

Coming out of GotG2 we were both like "damn shit that was good as hell" and then I looked at her and I said, "....better than Iron Man 1?" and she kinda hesitated and yeah

Mine's Avengers. I still get giddy when you're watching and it's like "wait, wait, it's not a bunch of super heroes anymore. It's a team of them".

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    I remember walking out of Iron Man 1 after the post credits stinger thinking "bullshit, what a tease, they aren't gonna deliver on any of that shit"

Well they certainly showed me!

• Options
    Guek wrote: »
    But I'm all about that Tony Stank.

Fixed
    We don't need none of that there Watcher propaganda 'round 'ere