Options

[Prey] Mooncrash DLC out now!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    I dunno about all the levels, but yes, Hacking 2 or 3 is definitely worth it. Above Hacking 2 starts to get you into story areas earlier than intended, too. If you're playing on PC you will need a controller for the hacking mini-game, which I loathe.

It's totally doable with a keyboard, just obnoxious.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    I dunno about all the levels, but yes, Hacking 2 or 3 is definitely worth it. Above Hacking 2 starts to get you into story areas earlier than intended, too. If you're playing on PC you will need a controller for the hacking mini-game, which I loathe.

You actually don't. It's fiddly, but if you're careful it works okay with the keyboard. Some maps are a headache to do, though.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    Hacking with a M+KB feels like a coinflip. You either get a do-able map, or you don't.

I dunno how it feels with a controller but thats my experience.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Who has two thumbs and couldn't keyboard the hacking maps to save his life ? This guy.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    You should work on those thumbs then, it isn't that hard.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Hacking 2 at least easily pays for itself.
    There's a safe with no working keypad (so hacking is the only way in), and it has 4 neuromods inside (plus extra stuff), so you have a net gain of extra stuff.
    I got a long way without getting hacking 3, but there were doors and computers I couldn't get into in the meantime, so I can't say how useful they would have been.
    But I'd say hacking/Repair/Leverage 2 are all pretty widely useful, and it's probably well worth getting all of them before you go after level 3 anything.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Regardless of how difficult the hacking minigame is, it is an atrocious hacking minigame. Just not fun at all.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    Regardless of how difficult the hacking minigame is, it is an atrocious hacking minigame. Just not fun at all.

I have yet to play one that was.

The only minigame I've ever liked was the lockpicking in Bethesda games (particularly in Oblivion where you can pick anything regardless of skill, it's just very hard). In general minigames are just not a good idea.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Hmm. Alright. I guess I shall make the investments.

Thanks for the answers!

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I think I hacked 2 total doors above the first rank in Hacking in my playthrough. And there were only a couple of places I was ultimately unable to get.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Hacking turrets was pretty handy later in the game.
    Turrets only target Typhon enemies by default. Once hacked, they'll attack anything that's hostile to you.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Psychic Waters Sidequest reward is pretty sweet.

• Options
    There was a reward for doing that? I figured it was going to factor into some other quest, but it never did.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    There was a reward for doing that? I figured it was going to factor into some other quest, but it never did.

Psychic Waters.
    After you put that purple goo into the Water Treatment console - whenever you drink water from a fountain or a sink you regen Psi.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    I know this game is getting some attention from speed runners, and I've looked, but YouTube keeps throwing back completely ridiculous things so I'm gonna ask here.

Is there a good example out there of a non clipping speed run that doesn't use neuromods? I mostly want to bust down a couple of achievements fairly quickly that require playing the game in a way I don't think I'll enjoy. But I'm not willing to do things like chair clip through the environment to do it.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Pretty much all games get attention from speedrunners. But yeah, I don't know if anyone's doing no OoB runs of the game yet, might be too new for those to be finished routed just yet. The current WR is some ridiculous sub 8 minute bullshit, the game is amazingly breakable, like an Unreal Engine game.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I know this game is getting some attention from speed runners, and I've looked, but YouTube keeps throwing back completely ridiculous things so I'm gonna ask here.

Is there a good example out there of a non clipping speed run that doesn't use neuromods? I mostly want to bust down a couple of achievements fairly quickly that require playing the game in a way I don't think I'll enjoy. But I'm not willing to do things like chair clip through the environment to do it.

Speedrun.com is usually the place to look for that kind of thing

However, the official page for Prey (minor spoiler warning for one of the possible endings) only lists two categories, both of which allow clipping

Generally speaking, once the game starts to get more popular among speedrunners you'll start to see a wider variety of run categories, so we might just need to give it some time

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Black Box
    ... I thought I'd get some kind of new weapon from this sidequest, its just background info on the Q-Beam? :sad:

• Options
    glimmungglimmung Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Black Box
    ... I thought I'd get some kind of new weapon from this sidequest, its just background info on the Q-Beam? :sad:

Pretty sure you can now craft the q-beam ammo.

I also like that the quests don't "reward" you per se, very in keeping with the story and theme of the game.

glimmung on
  • Options
    glimmung wrote: »
    Black Box

I also like that the quests don't "reward" you per se, very in keeping with the story and theme of the game.
    This whiteboard made me believe that Black Box was hopefully some kind of experimental weapon that I hadnt found yet.

GtiKRNdl.jpg

• Options
    glimmung wrote: »
    Black Box

This whiteboard made me believe that Black Box was hopefully some kind of experimental weapon that I hadnt found yet.

GtiKRNdl.jpg

It is.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Just finished my second playthrough of the game and I have one question of crucial importance: how the hell am I eating potato chips and bananas when I'm in the vacuum of space with a helmet on?

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Just finished my second playthrough of the game and I have one question of crucial importance: how the hell am I eating potato chips and bananas when I'm in the vacuum of space with a helmet on?

Fremen stillsuit?

Just stick the chips in the suit's food compartment for a nutritious chip slurry on the go!

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options

Nanomachines, son.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Then how about neuromods, with the put-this-camcorder-over-your-eye-so-we-can-stab-your-brain-with-huge-needles design?

THESE ARE THE QUESTIONS THAT MATTER.

• Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    So after about 12 or so hours of screwing around I decided to complete some of the main story line.

Deep Storage:
    going into the typhon infested zero-G section to retrieve the hard-drive. So I sneak around all the little explodey assholes to where the HDD is located. I grab it and start to "dash" off. I collide with the wall, but since I was holding something, I glitched out and clipped through the wall, outside the zero-g area, and "fell" to my death outside the map. I loaded my last save and went back, slower this time, but the HDD is no longer there.

I might just start over and pick different skills since I now know which are more useful early-game and which weapons to mod/keep.

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I got all but one of the numbers, because one of the players met with an unfortunate accident and I'm pretty sure that destroyed the map.

@OptimusZed I dunno if this has been answered, but you are wrong it is just not in that area where the rest are.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I tried to look up what difficulty-settings do, and was met with paragraphs of text like "Hard is a harder setting than Normal. It makes the game harder, and can be played by someone who is better at playing the game. It also takes more effort, and could be less easy."

• Options
    I got all but one of the numbers, because one of the players met with an unfortunate accident and I'm pretty sure that destroyed the map.

OptimusZed I dunno if this has been answered, but you are wrong it is just not in that area where the rest are.

I looked up where the map pieces were supposed to be, and one of the just wasn't.
    It said one of the players would have the map on her, and she was mind controlled in the pool area. I found her, but she walked into a fire jet before I could knock her out, and didn't have a map on her.

• Options
    So after about 12 or so hours of screwing around I decided to complete some of the main story line.

Deep Storage:
    going into the typhon infested zero-G section to retrieve the hard-drive. So I sneak around all the little explodey assholes to where the HDD is located. I grab it and start to "dash" off. I collide with the wall, but since I was holding something, I glitched out and clipped through the wall, outside the zero-g area, and "fell" to my death outside the map. I loaded my last save and went back, slower this time, but the HDD is no longer there.

I might just start over and pick different skills since I now know which are more useful early-game and which weapons to mod/keep.

The game auto-saves a bunch, look at the "time played" readout on each of the saves to make sure you aren't loading up a save that is actually glitched. Also, there are probably a good 3-4 autosaves for the last 20-30 minutes of your gameplay time you could use, and the game actually retains multiple quicksave points. Should be plenty of save points before things glitched on you.

• Options

OptimusZed I dunno if this has been answered, but you are wrong it is just not in that area where the rest are.

I looked up where the map pieces were supposed to be, and one of the just wasn't.
    It said one of the players would have the map on her, and she was mind controlled in the pool area. I found her, but she walked into a fire jet before I could knock her out, and didn't have a map on her.

I don't think that's accurate.
    Two of the maps are in the rec room (at the gaming table), Elias' map is on his corpse (I think) in the Lobby, and Danielle's map is on her computer in Deep Storage. There may be other places to find them, but I don't even think Yoga Lady is one of the people mind controlled at the pool.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    I tried to look up what difficulty-settings do, and was met with paragraphs of text like "Hard is a harder setting than Normal. It makes the game harder, and can be played by someone who is better at playing the game. It also takes more effort, and could be less easy."

I wish all games were this clear.
    Elsewhere, I've read that harder difficulties can improve the senses/aggressiveness of some enemies, along with harder types appearing more often.
    I've still only played it on Normal though, so I can't comment.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    The in game description is good, I think. With Normal as a baseline, on Easy you will take less damage and deal more damage, on Hard you will take more damage and deal less damage, and that's amplified on Nightmare (which I think may also change resource distribution and ammo drops and stuff).

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

Two of the maps are in the rec room (at the gaming table), Elias' map is on his corpse (I think) in the Lobby, and Danielle's map is on her computer in Deep Storage. There may be other places to find them, but I don't even think Yoga Lady is one of the people mind controlled at the pool.

Yeah
    one is on the computer that is the last one I got (you have to go there for a quest), two were in the game room and one was definitely on an already corpse somewhere in the crew quarters

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    klemming wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »

I wish all games were this clear.
    Elsewhere, I've read that harder difficulties can improve the senses/aggressiveness of some enemies, along with harder types appearing more often.
    I've still only played it on Normal though, so I can't comment.

I've only been playing it on Hard so far, and i'm about ~6 hours in and haven't found it particularly hard. But I also really have nothing to compare it to not having played normal, lol.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    The trick is to know which mods to prioritize to beef up your damage in a hurry. Once you know that, Normal becomes trivially easy after a couple of hours and you can steamroll most everything, and I don't imagine Hard being such a step up in difficulty that it would do anything but shift that back a couple of hours.

On Normal, the build I had at probably the halfway point of the game was still plenty to finish out the game easily, and I just piled on more powers and abilities from there. With a maxed telekinetic blast, electroshock, and combat focus, I could kill almost everything in my way without even stopping.

• Options

Yeah
    one is on the computer that is the last one I got (you have to go there for a quest), two were in the game room and one was definitely on an already corpse somewhere in the crew quarters

It's entirely possible I got bad info and didn't find it on my own, but
    isn't the one I'm describing the body in the crew quarters

• Options

Yeah

Yes, but it is stationary so unless you threw a recycler grenade at it... how would it have vanished? You can't destroy bodies with damage.

• Options

Yeah

Yes, but it is stationary so unless you threw a recycler grenade at it... how would it have vanished? You can't destroy bodies with damage.

I didn't use a grenade it anything. No idea what happened. Just didn't have a map for me.