Options

[Prey] Mooncrash DLC out now!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I just recently got to the point where I have access to purple abilities and I'm afraid to take any of them

I'm finding the game kind of hard even on Normal and the movement feels super clunky and slow

And I know there's going to be a lot of backtracking which does not really mesh with how I play games...I like to search everywhere in an area before moving on but can't really do that when nearly everything is story-gated

Still gonna keep playing though

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    There is a set of movement-speed-related mods under Conditioning in the Security mods. I would consider the first level to be essential (movement speed up 25%, it's a huge improvement), and the second level gives you a jump that is ridiculously high (plus makes your sprint way faster). The slow movement speed really irritated me until I found this, after which I had no problems.

If combat is being an issue, prioritize Combat Focus up to a couple of levels. Then the best mods for improving raw damage output would be the two mods that give a straight boost to the pistol and shotgun, plus the Gunsmith mods that let you augment their damage a bunch with mod kits.

And even just one of the Typhon attack abilities gives you what amounts to a pretty strong reusable grenade, with the added bonus that using it causes time to stop while you aren't moving (makes it pretty easy to aim), so that could help you with combat as well.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Just started this weekend and man this game can be mean with enemy placement/respawns

• Options
    Yep. Doot de doot de doo, here I go back through a room I cleared an hour ago...aw shit where'd the phantom come from...and I'm dead

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Yeah until about midway through the game the respawning enemies can be a real pain. Eventually you have enough upgrades and ammo that you can deal with them without too much trouble.

• Options
    I sat around for a half hour waiting for a robot to come along and open a door

It never did, and then I realized I need to start actually using the dart gun for things

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Yeah until about midway through the game the respawning enemies can be a real pain. Eventually you have enough upgrades and ammo that you can deal with them without too much trouble.

Enemies go from being "threat" to "exotic material that won't sit still"

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Mimics will still wreck face late game if you aren't careful. And the various floating enemies are rarely worth the time to fight. But phantoms are a joke late game as long as you see them coming.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    A fully upgraded Q beam (for Power and Consumption, at least) makes mincemeat of basically any enemy, even the toughest ones.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

It never did, and then I realized I need to start actually using the dart gun for things

Yeah, I think that robot opens that door every hour, not half-hour like the text tells you.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

I left the game running while I waited for it to show up, then suddenly remembered I had another option.
    The robot showed up just as I was leaving, so I saved myself maybe two minutes.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    A fully upgraded Q beam (for Power and Consumption, at least) makes mincemeat of basically any enemy, even the toughest ones.

But even then I found that the resource output in terms of ammo and health was much more precious to me than 15 exotic materials.

I haven't done a typhon mood run yet, though, so maybe that's different.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »

But even then I found that the resource output in terms of ammo and health was much more precious to me than 15 exotic materials.

Yeah I will say material use is not well balanced. I ended with 6 or 7 each of Synthetic and Mineral (and loads of ammo and health packs and suit repair kits, I wasn't hurting for stuff) and like 50 each of Organic and Exotic. Basically every recipe uses Synthetic, Mineral, or both, but only a few use Organic or Exotic. It makes Necropsy basically not worth taking.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I think it depends hugely on which gameplay route you take.

The first time I played, I was starved for Mineral. Second time around, I had bucketloads of it, but was short on Exotic. In fact, I was getting so much Mineral that I had a good 50 units of it that I accidentally dropped somewhere about halfway through the game, didn't even bother to go look for it, and still had shitloads of Mineral to finish out the game with. Never ended up short on Synthetic or Organic.

The big thing to keep in mind is to grind ALL those extra weapons into Mineral. Spare parts are plentiful and are even loot drops, so getting Mineral from weapons is way better than the spare parts you get.

I would definitely disagree that Necropsy isn't worth it, though. The earlier you take Necropsy and the extra 20% from recycling items, the better your returns throughout the game. Necropsy is big for getting a ton of Exotic so you can make loads of Neuromods and pile on abilities and damage a lot sooner.

• Options
    The recycling one is ultra juice, I delayed picking it up for way too long.

• Options
    I don't know where the heck I picked up a Neuromod plan but I had around 50 exotic materials in my inventory and just started cranking them out

And now I have a new sidequest :)

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    After having finished a run with all Human powers, going for a powerless run really makes you feel like a sack of potatoes in a fight.

Doesnt help that I'm trying to do the "Kill all Humans" thing as well.

I finished the game last week.

Ending Spoilers.
    Got the max empathetic ending which I didnt even know was a thing, cool.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Well that was amusing. I thought the No Needles achievement sounded like an absolute slog to do, so I decided to try the speedrun route as a way to beat the game. I found a really good tutorial on the speedrun tricks, managed to get it done in about an hour last night, in game time was around 29 minutes. First time I've done a speedrun really, especially of a modern game, so that was pretty interesting.

Post-ending spoilers:
    The post credits scene was pretty amusing. The game says you didn't save Dr. Igwe, which makes sense. It also claims you helped Mikhaila and the people in Cargo Bay, I assume because those people aren't dead at the end. It does rightly say that you never found Danielle Sho, nor did you meet volunteer 37.

Igwe also says your empathy quotient is moderate and I believe they claim you killed a medium amount of typhon across the station. But that is the nullwave ending, so maybe that's why for that.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Yeah I will say material use is not well balanced. I ended with 6 or 7 each of Synthetic and Mineral (and loads of ammo and health packs and suit repair kits, I wasn't hurting for stuff) and like 50 each of Organic and Exotic. Basically every recipe uses Synthetic, Mineral, or both, but only a few use Organic or Exotic. It makes Necropsy basically not worth taking.

Woah. Necropsy is hugely useful. Every time I stopped at a crafting spot I used literally every exotic material in my inventory and until the end of the game had piles of extra in the others. And I probably lost some of those to doors without knowing and thats why I started running out.

Heck I burned through so many exotic materials that I never used a single on of the psy canisters(I forget what they are called, they refill your energy bar thingy) on myself but turned EVERY one into exotic materials. And then I still used every exotic material through the end of the game. And took Necropsy as soon as I could in the game.

• Options
    I feel like I made more ammo than everyone else here.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017

Maybe!

My primary method of hurting things was my shotgun though. I didn't use any damaging Typhon moves so every bit of my damage output came from using guns.

That said each time I blew through all those exotic materials I also filled up one full slot of each shotgun and pistol ammo too.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Are there any semi fast speedruns without going through walls and all that (which seems like its for PC mainly?) Combining "Kill Everyone" with "No Neuromods" takes forever.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't think I'd combine those two into one run.

I haven't really looked to see if anyone is doing No OoB runs of Prey, though I don't think the tricks are necessarily specific to PC. They might just be trickier to do with a controller in some cases.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I dunno man... I made a point of killing a lot of Typhon, and that needed a lot of shotgun shells.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Are psi powers just busted in this game or what? Like you can get kinetic blast 2 almost right away after the scope, and that does a huge pile of damage on its own if you stun (or glue) the other guy first. Then you get electrostatic burst and that's basically a stun gun that deals real damage on top. Then you get psychoshock, which disables the enemy's psi powers!?!?! and makes them vulnerable as if they were stunned.
    I didn't take electrostatic at first because "I already have a bomb, why do I need two" but having all three is absurd. Rotating one to the next makes even the bigger enemies just fold over without putting up a fight (with only one exception so far, you know the one). I have them all maxed and special phantoms don't even take the full rotation anymore.
    The cost clearly doesn't matter that much, because my psi hypo count keeps creeping up and up. (I did get the bonus hypo effect mod right away though) I'm at the point where I throw psychoshock at mimics rather than chase them around with a wrench. Who cares?
    Not me; I get psi back from water fountains.

The other thing is I have something like 30 mods unused because I don't know what to do with them now. This is after like 20 mods worth of stuff purely for quality of life or for fun (repair 2, mimic, remote manip 3, mindjack). At this rate I'll hit the level cap, as it were. Necropsy might be too good.

e: wait, no, I found a solution to That One.
    Psychoshock->electrostatic->kinetic->mindjack->etc.

Cromarty on
  • Options
    Ran into a weird bug... flashlight won't turn on. At all.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    So, I have found a recipe for the recycler charge. So naturally, my first thought if it is possible to gather more resources per charge than it costs to craft one, there by giving you almost infinite resources.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Are you sure that's a flashlight you're holding?

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    So, I have found a recipe for the recycler charge. So naturally, my first thought if it is possible to gather more resources per charge than it costs to craft one, there by giving you almost infinite resources.

The returns aren't great, you would need a LOT of stuff packed into the blast radius to just break even.

Really, they're more for dealing an assload of damage, the recycled materials are just sort of a bonus. Recycler charge as the opening move, then hit combat focus and unload with the Q-beam. Kills most everything in a hurry if you land the grenade close enough, and is especially good at ripping turrets away from technopaths.

• Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

Are you sure that's a flashlight you're holding?

I run around with the psychoscope on pretty much all the time so yes

Flashlight came back on when I went to a different area so I'm guessing loading up a new area fixed it.

• Options
    I find that if I hit a phantom with just the recycler charge, it'll do some damage but not kill it

If I immobilize it with the Gloo gun first, recycler charge takes them out in one hit.

Also: a fully upgraded shotgun shreds the fuck out of nightmares

• Options
    Yeah, I believe that's because status effects increase damage taken, so stunned, psi disabled, etc. I assume being gloo stuck counts as a status effect.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Someone made a Hardcore mod, in case fighting all these aliens was just too easy for anyone.
    Survival Traumas
    • Reactivates the previous cut Traumas from the game (Blindness, Bleeding, Burns, Fractures, and Concussions) and increases the types of hazards which can cause these.
    • Each type of trauma (except "blindness" which is actually vision impairment not total blindness and clears on it's own like being drunk) can be cured with a specific medical cure that you can collect and/or fabricate.
    • Medical Operators clear ALL conditions and there is a new skill which also allows conditions to be cleared with a standard medical kit.

Items
    • Various new items have been added - a mixture of cut content and new items. Most of these are "junk" to clutter up your inventory.
    • More standardized inventory limits on stacking. Inventory management is more of a thing now. If you find this frustrating do consider that the game allows you to store anything anywhere and will not delete or remove it. Hint - there are brief cases and other storage containers all over Talos that can be lugged around.
    • Ammo, weapons, grenades and other useful items have been removed from Typhon as loot drops. You will have to depend on what you scavenge from the environment and more importantly what you fabricate.
    • Much of the random useful loot (ammo, hypos, etc) on human bodies has been replaced with fabrication licenses so you will need to construct what you need it survive (or scavenge it from the hand placed items the devs have put around the levels.)

Fabrication
    • Limited licensing has been restored. Now when you pick up a fabrication plan it gives you ONE license to fabricate ONE item. Some costs have been adjusted slightly to use more organic and exotic material which is not used very much in the base game (beyond PSI Hypos and Neuromods)

Abilities
    • Increases the overall skill cost and requirements of upper tier mods. Costs start around 1-2 neuromods more for the bottom tier abilities and ramp up to x2 - x3 for upper tier powers depending on how powerful they are.
    • Re-activates the previous cut Field Surgeon skill which allows players to heal traumas with normal med kits.
    • "Nutrition" healing benefit from food drains away faster. Food is less of an effective replacement for medical treatment. Water no longer heals (why would it?!?) and gives much less PSI making it a much less effective replacement for PSI Hypos. If you want to stand around the water cooler all day be my guest

Enemies
    • Typhon get a very slight buff on health. This is very, very minor (around +20%) and does not effect low level Typhon (mimics, cystoids, etc). Mechanicals remain unchanged.
    • You no longer automatically obtain the mimic detection chip so mimics are more of an ever present and unnerving threat.

HUD
    • Removed crouch and flash light icons from the HUD. Also removed enemy alert and indicator markers as well as most music cues to alert you of enemies. You will need to use good situational awareness and listening to find your enemies.
    • Items no longer glow, glisten or glitter to draw your attention to them. Besides immersion breaking it's too much hand holding.
    • Improved the Options Menu to include a HUD toggle which completely turns off ALL HUD elements (warning this is an extremely immersive, but also EXTREMELY difficult way to play)

I like some of these changes, don't like others. But apparently they're modular, so you can pick the changes you like and leave the rest.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    It amazes me how much "hardcore" mods conflate "kicking the player in the balls and making the game tedious" with "more entertaining challenge".

And I say that as somebody who has played through, and even enjoyed, most of the Dark Souls games where the design is literally "kicking the player in the balls".

• Options
    klemming wrote: »
    Someone made a Hardcore mod, in case fighting all these aliens was just too easy for anyone.
    Survival Traumas
    • Reactivates the previous cut Traumas from the game (Blindness, Bleeding, Burns, Fractures, and Concussions) and increases the types of hazards which can cause these.
    • Each type of trauma (except "blindness" which is actually vision impairment not total blindness and clears on it's own like being drunk) can be cured with a specific medical cure that you can collect and/or fabricate.
    • Medical Operators clear ALL conditions and there is a new skill which also allows conditions to be cleared with a standard medical kit.

Items
    • Various new items have been added - a mixture of cut content and new items. Most of these are "junk" to clutter up your inventory.
    • More standardized inventory limits on stacking. Inventory management is more of a thing now. If you find this frustrating do consider that the game allows you to store anything anywhere and will not delete or remove it. Hint - there are brief cases and other storage containers all over Talos that can be lugged around.
    • Ammo, weapons, grenades and other useful items have been removed from Typhon as loot drops. You will have to depend on what you scavenge from the environment and more importantly what you fabricate.
    • Much of the random useful loot (ammo, hypos, etc) on human bodies has been replaced with fabrication licenses so you will need to construct what you need it survive (or scavenge it from the hand placed items the devs have put around the levels.)

Fabrication
    • Limited licensing has been restored. Now when you pick up a fabrication plan it gives you ONE license to fabricate ONE item. Some costs have been adjusted slightly to use more organic and exotic material which is not used very much in the base game (beyond PSI Hypos and Neuromods)

Abilities
    • Increases the overall skill cost and requirements of upper tier mods. Costs start around 1-2 neuromods more for the bottom tier abilities and ramp up to x2 - x3 for upper tier powers depending on how powerful they are.
    • Re-activates the previous cut Field Surgeon skill which allows players to heal traumas with normal med kits.
    • "Nutrition" healing benefit from food drains away faster. Food is less of an effective replacement for medical treatment. Water no longer heals (why would it?!?) and gives much less PSI making it a much less effective replacement for PSI Hypos. If you want to stand around the water cooler all day be my guest

Enemies
    • Typhon get a very slight buff on health. This is very, very minor (around +20%) and does not effect low level Typhon (mimics, cystoids, etc). Mechanicals remain unchanged.
    • You no longer automatically obtain the mimic detection chip so mimics are more of an ever present and unnerving threat.

HUD
    • Removed crouch and flash light icons from the HUD. Also removed enemy alert and indicator markers as well as most music cues to alert you of enemies. You will need to use good situational awareness and listening to find your enemies.
    • Items no longer glow, glisten or glitter to draw your attention to them. Besides immersion breaking it's too much hand holding.
    • Improved the Options Menu to include a HUD toggle which completely turns off ALL HUD elements (warning this is an extremely immersive, but also EXTREMELY difficult way to play)

I like some of these changes, don't like others. But apparently they're modular, so you can pick the changes you like and leave the rest.

Some of that sounds like interesting new mechanical challenges. A lot just sounds like unnecessary tedium that ignores explicit design decisions (for example, removing the mimic chip).

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Finished my 2nd run.

All achievements done.

Prey is my GOTY 2017 so far.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    glimmungglimmung Registered User regular
    Survival Traumas

Items

Fabrication

Abilities

Enemies

HUD

Mild Spoiler
    I always thought that the Typhon carrying human items made sense, as they were created from corpses by weavers. In fact I wish that they carried identifiable items to increase the emotional impact.

• Options
    glimmung wrote: »
    Survival Traumas

Items

Fabrication

Abilities

Enemies

HUD

Mild Spoiler
    I always thought that the Typhon carrying human items made sense, as they were created from corpses by weavers. In fact I wish that they carried identifiable items to increase the emotional impact.

Don't let worldbuilding stand in the way of being T3H HARDCOR3Z

(I don't actually think the Hardcore mode is silly, I just think it's funny that they are kind of ignoring the worldbuilding and story to shoehorn in difficulty)

• Options
    Yeah, a lot of that just sounds terrible. Don't think I'd even really play around with a mod like that.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I like how a lot of the notes in that list seem to imply that they're implementing a bunch of shit that the devs realized would make the game worse.

metaghost on