Options

only degs [chat]

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    i suspect the liberals are buying up guns now thing was probably a bit overstated

What are liberals buying then?

abortions mostly

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    I wonder what the stats are on men vs women re crimes against children

My feeling is that the numbers would have to be higher for women simply because they have a lot more access to kids than men do

probably less reported for various reasons though

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I thought eddy was talkin bout me

but I'm none of those things so think I'm safe

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    i had to drop something off at a neighbor's house this morning and by coincidence I parked my car in the street right next to where two little kids were running and playing. as i walked up towards the house, passing by where the kids were, i heard a bit of panic in the mothers voice as she called her kids back to her. then she held her kids close and kept her suspicious gaze on me as I walked the whole way back to my car.

sigh

i was followed around by a woman (who i guess was trying to make sure i wasn't a kidnapper?) one time when taking my nephew on a walk outside a restaurant

lol that is extra...fearful? irrational? idk the word that describes this exactly

like, how did she even know that just wasn't your son?

i have no idea, tbh

she followed us out of the restaurant while we went to go look at all the cool plants and rocks (did you know that leaves can get SO BIG?)

but she kept her distance. we would round a corner and then a little while later she would appear at that same corner and just be sort of on her phone, or something. she was definitely creepin.

my sister in law was terrified because she immediately thought "what if this person wanted to take [him]?" to which i replied "i would have shot her."

god bless texas

with what?

a gun?

You're telling me that Obama didn't take your gun?

it's concealed he didn't find it

dude really needs to learn how to pat a person down

I am amused that not having a Democrat as president causes gun sales to decline dramatically because they no longer have a boogeyman to drum up fear.

Have they? Decent AR15s are sub 600 for the first time ever now

Isn't that because people aren't buying at the normal/high price?

Another factor is that every time an AWB was brought up in the news a new small business FFL was started up making AR15s because every time an AWB was mentioned in the news people who didn't have AR15s ran out and bought out entire stores worth. So there are a lot of smaller FFL manufacturers out there making essentially the same rifle of varying quality. The AR15 was at one time (prior to the 94 AWB) pretty rare. Now it's probably the most prolific autoloading rifle in the US.

Yea, basically for the first time in a decade even the NRA can't drum up any "THEY'RE GONNA TAKE YER GUNS" fervor so folks are wondering if they really need to hold on to these things.

Well it's not just the NRA fearmongering, there have been actual attempts to enact AWBs that ban a great swathe of popularly owned weapons that are essentially statistically insignificant when it comes to firearm crimes. Every year a new Federal AWB is proposed by Senator Feinstein and semi regularly state level AWBs are promoted even in very pro gun states (like here in Florida). Honestly the NRA really doesn't even spend that much money on lobbying compared to someone like Bloomberg ($5mil vs $50mil IIRC).

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    i suspect the liberals are buying up guns now thing was probably a bit overstated

abortions mostly

stockpiling them

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

abortions mostly

Jars of clean air.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

My feeling is that the numbers would have to be higher for women simply because they have a lot more access to kids than men do

a lot of people treat it as "yeah cool!" when boys are raped by women too

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    I am making a barbarian half orc poet that wants to be in theater but is usually laughed at and then succumbs to rage and smashes people with a gigantic guitar

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    hm I am sorry that so many dudes get treated like creepers around kids
    it is an extremely fucked up manifestation of the way our culture deals with gender

what do men even do if they legit want to work with kids? It's easy enough for a 19-year-old girl to be like 'I love kids; I want to be a kindergarten teacher', and that's viewed as really pro-social and cute, whereas for a boy it's presumably not?

lol

You don't work with kids is the answer

Tell people as a guy you want to teach kindergarten? Are you crazy?

that's really sad

I cannot intuitively understand it, being mildly repulsed by kids if anything, and also on the flip side of this expected to have some interest or be friendly to kids just because of my appearance; however, it's not too hard to imagine that it's really sad and upsetting to be treated like a potential threat when actually you just get some sense of joy from interacting with youth

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

The first month of Trump it was pretty steady. Husband of one of Nickie's friends manages a Cabela's, he said the number of "I've never owned a gun before" people at the gun counter skyrocketed, then slowly tapered off.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Well a quick nap turned into a two hour mega snooze. Must have needed it.

Having pre-dinner - an enormous beer and more pancake soup - in a charming beer garden.

Leaving Innsbruck at the crack of dawn for one more night in Vienna. I really really really really don't want this trip to end.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    this weekend sarah and I are going to go to 'tunes from the tombs' which is like, a music festival featuring a bunch of no name bands with beers/food trucks, held in a cemetary

I'm excite!

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    hm I am sorry that so many dudes get treated like creepers around kids
    it is an extremely fucked up manifestation of the way our culture deals with gender

what do men even do if they legit want to work with kids? It's easy enough for a 19-year-old girl to be like 'I love kids; I want to be a kindergarten teacher', and that's viewed as really pro-social and cute, whereas for a boy it's presumably not?

Pinecone wants to teach elementary schoolers but only figured that out like 3/4ths of the way through undergrad so that is not what he has a degree in. So he's looking for ways to work in that field in the interim while he figures out how/when he'll go back to school. That's why he wound up working with special needs kids, and leading tours for elementary schoolers at the Smith botanical gardens, and reading to them at the local library, etc. He's great with kids and is just trying to keep those skills up to snuff basically while he waits for me to graduate and we figure out if we're relocating. One of the easiest ways that he could do that and make dollars (p much everything he's been doing except working with kids and horses is volunteer, and now he's moved away from that farm) is by picking up babysitting jobs in the area, except, pretty much every time he has tried to follow up on listings or talk to people about doing that he's been met with people being REALLY uncomfortable with him

one time two little kids came barrelling at us in a park and nearly ran into our legs and we both reflexively picked them up and turned them around with a like "whoa there kiddo go back to your mom over there" and I looked up and the mom was staring at him in absolute horror (but paid no mind to me)

it is weird af

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular

It took me until I was 25 to really accept that I was sexually molested by a 26 year old woman when I was 13 and that it did significant psychological damage to my sexual development.

Because society's general response to that is "Nice."

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

abortions mostly

stockpiling them

Hey you could use the NRA playbook

Better stockpile your abortions before the government takes them ...

Wait no the government is restricting access hmm

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I have a guy friend who's a kindergarten/1st grade teacher.

It probably helps that's he's got a clean-cut hipster aesthetic.

I've seen him interact with random children at conventions and stuff, and he goes at at real hard like clearly talking to the children at their own level so it's pretty obvious that is a professional at talking to kids.

And even then he usually tells whoever the parent is he's a teacher after like two sentences cause they're giving him the stink eye

it's so stupid

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

Removing the "lovely day" reaction when they did will go down as one of the greatest foibles in history.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    i had to drop something off at a neighbor's house this morning and by coincidence I parked my car in the street right next to where two little kids were running and playing. as i walked up towards the house, passing by where the kids were, i heard a bit of panic in the mothers voice as she called her kids back to her. then she held her kids close and kept her suspicious gaze on me as I walked the whole way back to my car.

sigh

i was followed around by a woman (who i guess was trying to make sure i wasn't a kidnapper?) one time when taking my nephew on a walk outside a restaurant

lol that is extra...fearful? irrational? idk the word that describes this exactly

i have no idea, tbh

she followed us out of the restaurant while we went to go look at all the cool plants and rocks (did you know that leaves can get SO BIG?)

but she kept her distance. we would round a corner and then a little while later she would appear at that same corner and just be sort of on her phone, or something. she was definitely creepin.

my sister in law was terrified because she immediately thought "what if this person wanted to take [him]?" to which i replied "i would have shot her."

god bless texas

with what?

a gun?

I am amused that not having a Democrat as president causes gun sales to decline dramatically because they no longer have a boogeyman to drum up fear.

Another factor is that every time an AWB was brought up in the news a new small business FFL was started up making AR15s because every time an AWB was mentioned in the news people who didn't have AR15s ran out and bought out entire stores worth. So there are a lot of smaller FFL manufacturers out there making essentially the same rifle of varying quality. The AR15 was at one time (prior to the 94 AWB) pretty rare. Now it's probably the most prolific autoloading rifle in the US.

Yea, basically for the first time in a decade even the NRA can't drum up any "THEY'RE GONNA TAKE YER GUNS" fervor so folks are wondering if they really need to hold on to these things.

Well it's not just the NRA fearmongering, there have been actual attempts to enact AWBs that ban a great swathe of popularly owned weapons that are essentially statistically insignificant when it comes to firearm crimes. Every year a new Federal AWB is proposed by Senator Feinstein and semi regularly state level AWBs are promoted even in very pro gun states (like here in Florida). Honestly the NRA really doesn't even spend that much money on lobbying compared to someone like Bloomberg ($5mil vs $50mil IIRC).

those bills are dead on arrival and everyone knows it.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular

abortions mostly

Savage

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Yeah people are fuckin nuts

Sorry if a kid smiles at me i tend to smile back. does that make me a giant creeper or something?

Yes

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod

Fidget Spinners

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Come to think of it, all of my parents advice re stranger danger related to strange men

But we're in Ireland and there's a bunch of pedophile priests so I think that probably had a lot to do with it

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I think the "pedo stache" is just a result of the way we react to people when their appearance demonstrates a lack of awareness/comprehension/care about fairly broad aesthetic standards. A person whose appearance is deviant and unpleasant, who is disconnected enough to be unaware of that issue, is unsettling and implies other disconnections from social norms.

We imagine pedophiles to be creepy basement-dwelling unpeople who are disconnected in this way, even when we know factually that pedophiliac abuse is often successful because the person IS so normal otherwise. It is hard not to pair deviance with deviance instinctively.

It's kind of like the "unwashed poor hygiene nerd" stereotype.

Well no, because that one was heavily grounded in truth. Going into a gaming store in the 90's always required some real nasal fortitude.

And I remember my one session with the uni roleplaying club where I was basically trying to avoid breathing so I didn't gag because of the smell.

And the tales of PAX1 that people in here had

It seems much better now though. I've not run into nerd stench in years.
    I bring extra deodorant to GenCon for my friends, because they keep forgetting how bad it gets. :( I don't care if you don't need deodorant NORMALLY, GenCon isn't normal! Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

hahaha oh man this reminds me

VH asked if I wanted to go to Gen Con with him this year. i declined because i had a prior commitment (also porp would not have been OK with solo watching the kids for several days when i was already going to be out of town the weekend prior).

then later on porp wanted something from VH, i forget what, and offered to go to Gen Con in return.

and just the mental image of porp in a sea of sweaty unwashed nerds

i just wanted it to happen so badly

Gen con has more women than PAX, and also isn't smelly in my experience.

However I think porp would not find the environment to her liking. Well, I think she would have fun making fun of it, probably.

Haven't hit a PAX but Gen Con had markedly more women this last year than the last time I went like five years ago. This may have been the change in games I was playing but I noticed it in the hallways too.

Overall I was surprised at the low level of scary nerdery I ran into.

Somewhat related, one of my favorite things about GenCon is how integrated it is into the city of Indianapolis.

I remember two years ago, my first year at GenCon, I was walking with my buddy down a sidewalk one night, and he had kind of wild pink hair because of a show he'd been in, but also he does the "nerdy t-shirt plus cargo shorts" combo, and we both had GenCon tote bags slung over our shoulder. So while we weren't cosplaying or anything, it was pretty clear what we were in Indianapolis for.

We turned a corner and there was a group of stereotypical frat guys and sorority girls heading in our direction, like 5 or 6 of them, and they sort of gave us the once-over as they approached. The dude in front kind of grinned and asked us if we were here in town for the "nerd convention" and in my head I'm rolling my eyes and thinking "oh good, this should be fun". One of the girls corrected him and said, "It's called GenCon," and he said "oh right, what all kind of stuff do you get up to there?" My buddy, in his friendly genial way, gave him the 15 second version, basically something like "tabletop games, like Dungeons and Dragons, and board games", and just as I was getting ready for the sneer and some version of "lol you fucking nerds" the frat guy was like "That's cool, man, so many people show up every year for this, I didn't really know what it was all about." One of the guys in the back was like "oh man, and those costumes are crazy" and everybody nodded along, and then the first guy was like "Well, you guys have a great weekend, thanks for coming, we love this time of year." Couple fist pounds and they were on their way.

Restaurants make signs that say "WELCOME BACK TO INDIANAPOLIS, GENCON" and we passed a couple with those chalkboard signs that said "Thanks for another great weekend, GenCon!" or something similar at the end of the weekend. It's really awesome to see that kind of relationship between the convention and the people of the city.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    American gun ownership as a whole is decreasing. Like people are buying lots of guns, but its the same people, not new customers.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Vanguard wrote: »

tbf i don't want to be what he thinks is people

• Options
    It's resistance training if I switch arms with every sip of this giant beer, right?

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Y'all are gonna make me use this newfound money to buy an Xbone just so I can play OW with you (I'm PS4) and I'm gonna end up getting one and y'all will quit playing

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017

sigh

i have no idea, tbh

god bless texas

with what?

a gun?

those bills are dead on arrival and everyone knows it.

Except for the politicians proposing and promoting them, Bloomberg spending $50 mil of his own money all over the US, and people who think this time it will succeed or overestimate how much support AWBs actually have. But regardless of that, in reality this isn't a situation in which the NRA is solely responsible for people "panic buying". In the past 8 years it was pretty regular that after every time there was talk of a new AWB there would be people who didn't own guns or didn't own AR15s running out to buy them, and then 6 months later trying to sell the extras they bought to recoup some money.

ryzemqse7aog.jpg

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    American gun ownership as a whole is decreasing. Like people are buying lots of guns, but its the same people, not new customers.

14% of them are @amateurhour

• Options
    Y'all are gonna make me use this newfound money to buy an Xbone just so I can play OW with you (I'm PS4) and I'm gonna end up getting one and y'all will quit playing

play it on PC

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

play it on PC

then I've gotta go upstaiiiiiirs

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Good it's-still-technically-morning.

How's the doomsaying and despondent nihilism?

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

play it on PC

then I've gotta go upstaiiiiiirs

hook it up to your TV and get one of these:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/landing/lapdog

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular

Stamped out by merciless mods with big boots

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

all but absent from the current discourse

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

abortions mostly

You can get abortions on Amazon now in blue states. You press Buy Now, then a drone just flies up between your legs and THUNK out it comes and it flies off to sell the fetus for evil medical research

note: make sure to select the correct member of your household when ordering this service, Amazon is not responsible for abortions on the wrong individual, attempted abortions on those not pregnant, or testicular damage

override367 on
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    a

idk man, we played halo p regularly from 1 all the way thru reach. ow is probably gonna be what we play until the game stops being supported.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I wish it were easier to remove the crap from cast iron stuff. It looks like I either have to electrolysis or nasty chemical oven cleaner.

That wax they originally put on it? Yeah, that stuff is a PITA.

I got it from a thrift store. I don't know where it's been, except China where it was born.

Are you starting with the unseasoning step of put it into an oven and run the self cleaning cycle? Not a whole lot of things you'd put into a pan that aren't going to just flake off after that.

The article I saw (I think you posted?) said that that's usually fine but also might cause fires or possibly warp the pan.

Well the fire seems to be about what's on the pan/left around your oven. The warping, provided you let it cool down slowly, seems mighty ambitious for a residential oven.

Though I have heard it can be bad for your actual oven as they're not designed to get that hot very often and with new ovens having lots of circuitry in them...
    If it's shiny and black, that needs to stay there because that's what makes the cast iron such a great pan.

https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/10-key-things-everyone-should-know-about-seasoning-cleaning-maintaining-cast-iron-pans-0150852/

If it's shiny and black it's still seasoned. Cast iron that has been properly unseasoned is actually a medium grey. Seasoning on top of seasoning really relies on the initial seasoning having been done right.

Yeah, I don't trust whoever, and also I am not convinced that cast iron pans being old and having been used a lot actually improves seasoning, given that seasoning is supposed to be a molecules-thick polymerized oil that bonds to the metal.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    aren't most cases of sexual abuse/kidnapping not perpetuated by a stranger, but by a family member or close friend?

Yeah and why stranger danger in the 80's early 90's was a horrific failure. It taught kids to only be aware of people they didn't know who were statistically very low to be an offender.

Then again when its your kid who is one of those low percentage kidnap/sexual asssaults I'm sure it doesn't feel like you won the lottery.

I think the fucked up overprotective shell parents feel like they have to encase their children in is really harmful in a lot of ways though

a kid's natural state is to want to interact with strangers and I can't imagine it's good for kids to GET AWAY FROM HIM BILLY HE'S PROBABLY A PERVERT

I imagine it goes hand in hand with the general disintegration of local social bonds

If you don't know anyone at all in the local neighborhood and all your friends are the other members of Spicy Marxist Memes on Facebook or whatever, then there isn't even a baseline sense that some percentage of people around you would keep an eye on your kid, step in if something happened, etc

Plus everyone is convinced the world is somehow more dangerous than in some nebulous imagined past?

It seems like it all snowballs and the logical conclusion is an armored luxury SUV that drives itself to your kid's school and rams anyone out of the way to drive your kid back to your walled and surveiled condo enclave

desc is wise

poo
This discussion has been closed.