Options

only degs [chat]

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    One part of me, due to the particular type of liberal my parents are, thinks gun ownership should essentially be banned

The other part of me thinks guns are cool (because of violent videogames probably?)

So I don't have a clear stance on gun laws. Fortunately, it doesn't matter at all because I'm not a politician.

oh they're hella cool and shooting them is fun

just not worth the tradeoff imo

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Or using the terror watch list, because Dems couldn't wait to use shitty Republican tools

That was just the worst idea by Dems.

Like, sure, it probably worked good on TV, but thank god they failed

Yeah that made for some strange bedfellows lol

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    or we can just go back to everyone having to use blackpowder weapons.

One shot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spencer_repeating_rifle

yeah but that's bp cartridge fire. It's still a cartridge based gun

oh so you mean muzzle loaders, not black powder

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cookson_repeater
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalthoff_repeater
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper-box

you try hitting something with a pepperbox or a duckfoot.

:/

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

One shot.

The one on top.

BqCcOKk.jpg?1

2b847kd.jpg?1

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    American legislation towards guns is going to take a sudden, sharp turn as soon as 3D printed receivers become a genuine alternative.

We're not quite there yet, but we're dangerously close. There's already dudes selling shitty quality 3D printed receivers that aren't as good as a properly manufactured gun but are a lot better than a zip gun and are still a real gun.

The only difference is quality and reliability, they still shoot bullets.

That will change with refinement over time as 3D printing improves and gets cheaper

Once 3D printing receivers gets even close to par with manufactured receivers, suddenly the gun manufacturers that run the gun lobby see a threat to their profits. Suddenly, there needs to be an impetus for laws to exist to hamper the "danger" these 3D printed guns present, regardless of how real or not that danger is.

Gun laws in the US will change in the next 5-10 years, but it will be because the gun manufacturers are scared of losing money.

Anyone who is interested in manufacturing their own firearm can do so right now. There is nothing stopping me from buying an aluminum block and renting a CNC to turn it into a receiver, using a lathe and rifling bit to turn a rod into a barrel, and then putting it together to create a firearm. The only restriction is that I can't "be in the business of selling firearms" (BATFE has a metric ton of leeway in interpreting what this actually means, and they have historically been pretty anti civilian firearm ownership in enforcement) and I can't create an NFA firearm without applying for a tax stamp from the BATFE.

Also finding a shop that will let a random dude come in and run programs producing a firearm. That first 3D printed one got stalled initially because Stratysys stopped renting them printer time because they wanted no part of it. I'd expect a lot of makerspaces to have similar attitudes about renting CNC time for that.

That's ignoring the fair amount of skill involved in all that.

It was pretty common until a couple of years ago to do "build parties". A group of people would get together, rent time on a CNC at a local shop or manufacturer, purchase kits and learn how to build the rifles. AFAIK they died down after the BATFE started talking about the people participating "being in the business of manufacturing and selling arms".

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    One time I was in line at the grocery store and a lady spilled something on herself in line and she was holding a baby and she turned to me like "AAH sorry can you hold him for a sec??!!" and I was like "aa AA WHAT A BABY WHAT DO I DO WITH IT UH CAN YOU JUST GIVE IT TO HIM HE'S GOOD WITH KIDS" and indicated Pinecone, baby extraordinaire, beside me, because I have not had much contact with babies in many years and also it was sticky?? and Pinecone put his arms up to accept the baby and the lady looked mortified and said "UGH nevermind!" and checked out without cleaning herself up and it was super awkward

>:(

This has happened to my wife and I, almost identically

My wife despises children and babies. She's fine with them, and isn't incapable of interacting with them, but finds them unpleasant. I'm good with kids! But the woman defaulted to asking my wife to hold her child as she dealt with whatever and then asked me to help her with the issue she was having, and given I have a bad back and bending down is hard for me and my wife hates holding babies, this is the opposite of optimal!

So my wife offered to reverse that, and the woman sneered "Nevermind" and asked two store clerks for help.

Ok lady.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    what if we replaced all babies' arms with guns after they are born

With the trump thing depressing gun sales I think we could get some NRA lobby money on this one

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I mean yeah a bunch of people tried to make multi shot muzzleloaders but you don't see a lot of them in cool historical movies because most of them never worked.

or blew up.

or chain fired.

or blew up.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    tyrannus wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    I just arranged to meet new people for climbing since my regular group is unavailable today.

I was very close to just deciding to go bouldering by myself because meeting new people sucks, but bouldering sucks more, and I am in fact able to meet new people despite this petulant inner voice yelling 'but I'm an introvertttttttttttttt' because really, just fucking deal.

Bouldering is cooler tho

I'm pretty bad at it (like, can only do V1s. mayyyyybe occasional v2 but usually not), and I'm definitely really afraid of falling, and often wimp out and don't try the last couple of moves at the top. In a way it's cool because it forces me to conquer my fear, and I do appreciate that; and of course it looks great when you can do it (but I don't look too impressive climbing my V1s, is the thing).

It's more fun to push my limits in a safer environment while toproping--I'm willing to try more things at the border of my ability because it's more secure.

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    I am also always confused when people think I will know what to do with babies

there is no one younger than my youngest brother in my family at all, whatsoever, and we are only a few years apart, so the last time I was ever regularly around a baby I had any hand whatsoever in looking after was like............ 13 years ago?? I used to babysit the boys some but that pretty much entirely consisted of making sure we all had something semi reasonable for dinner.

I don't know what to do about babies!

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    milski wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    There was one dude in our dorm who had rich parents, hated condoms, and lacked any self control.

He once noted he had a plan B budget of $300/month

This is double horrifying because like

Do you preemptively tell the girl that plan B is plan A?

Or are you just like "no it's fine" followed by "now that you're full of semen let's see about pills"

The dude was not particularly concerned with repeat visits and also had a predatory fetish for innocent girls/virgins.

I dunno he was a friend of a friend and dogshit at DOTA but somehow kept getting dragged into our games.

So about 9.2 on the fucked up scale

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I am closing down a bank account.

It is weird to have sufficient money in accounts that I am hitting all kinds of transaction limits.

Say hello to your friends the terrier and the sentient top hat, Monopoly Man

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    My opinion has been that the US left should just give up on gun laws for like... a while.
    The reason it's always really stupidly targeted 'assault weapon' bans is that's all that could pass constitutional muster.

If we wanted to curtail gun deaths we need to ban pistols, and to ban pistols we need to amend the constitution, and that's not happening any time soon.

We should attack it from the other side and work on getting more people mental health services and getting more people out of poverty.

I don't even know many liberals that want weapon bans.

They all want better mental health and screenings instead. Just like.. skip the screening part for a few decades, let the GOP fuck themselves sideways, get mental health stuff added to the ACA and move in with single payer and then win the game.

I mean

I personally want a pistol ban

I am the spooky liberal that wants to take your guns away

I think the country would be better off for it.

But I also don't think it's politically feasible and there are better things to do with our political resources

DC v Heller, while setting precedent for self defense with pistols, doesn't foreclose pistol regulation

But, when cities try to regulate, its always straight up de jure ban (or de facto ban) instead of like, a city ordinance mandating strict training standards

A half ban would be worse IMO

This is America after all so you'd end up with the requirements being selectively enforced against minorities.

...i think I agree with you there? That's what the may-issue CPL schemes were

Yeah it's fucked up when the people most likely to be victims of violent crimes are the ones that bear the brunt of this kind of thing.
    My opinion has been that the US left should just give up on gun laws for like... a while.
    The reason it's always really stupidly targeted 'assault weapon' bans is that's all that could pass constitutional muster.

If we wanted to curtail gun deaths we need to ban pistols, and to ban pistols we need to amend the constitution, and that's not happening any time soon.

We should attack it from the other side and work on getting more people mental health services and getting more people out of poverty.

They all want better mental health and screenings instead. Just like.. skip the screening part for a few decades, let the GOP fuck themselves sideways, get mental health stuff added to the ACA and move in with single payer and then win the game.

I mean

But I also don't think it's politically feasible and there are better things to do with our political resources

DC v Heller, while setting precedent for self defense with pistols, doesn't foreclose pistol regulation

But, when cities try to regulate, its always straight up de jure ban (or de facto ban) instead of like, a city ordinance mandating strict training standards

This is America after all so you'd end up with the requirements being selectively enforced against minorities.

...i think I agree with you there? That's what the may-issue CPL schemes were

Yeah it's fucked up when the people most likely to be victims of violent crimes are the ones that bear the brunt of this kind of thing.

Yup. Washington DC has some not great parts of town - Heller had a good set of plaintiffs. Interestingly, the the holding was extended to pistols and not just long guns due to equal protection concerns about handicapped and elderly persons not able to use a long gun.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

there is no one younger than my youngest brother in my family at all, whatsoever, and we are only a few years apart, so the last time I was ever regularly around a baby I had any hand whatsoever in looking after was like............ 13 years ago?? I used to babysit the boys some but that pretty much entirely consisted of making sure we all had something semi reasonable for dinner.

You can shake 'em!

But doooon't shake 'em.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017

I do

no private ownership of guns of any kind

hunters and recreational shooters can rent and return them after a screening process

sounds good

totally infeasible in America where people eat guns for breakfast

but still, sounds good

Tav on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

but ur ovaries

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    American legislation towards guns is going to take a sudden, sharp turn as soon as 3D printed receivers become a genuine alternative.

We're not quite there yet, but we're dangerously close. There's already dudes selling shitty quality 3D printed receivers that aren't as good as a properly manufactured gun but are a lot better than a zip gun and are still a real gun.

That will change with refinement over time as 3D printing improves and gets cheaper

Once 3D printing receivers gets even close to par with manufactured receivers, suddenly the gun manufacturers that run the gun lobby see a threat to their profits. Suddenly, there needs to be an impetus for laws to exist to hamper the "danger" these 3D printed guns present, regardless of how real or not that danger is.

Gun laws in the US will change in the next 5-10 years, but it will be because the gun manufacturers are scared of losing money.

Anyone who is interested in manufacturing their own firearm can do so right now. There is nothing stopping me from buying an aluminum block and renting a CNC to turn it into a receiver, using a lathe and rifling bit to turn a rod into a barrel, and then putting it together to create a firearm. The only restriction is that I can't "be in the business of selling firearms" (BATFE has a metric ton of leeway in interpreting what this actually means, and they have historically been pretty anti civilian firearm ownership in enforcement) and I can't create an NFA firearm without applying for a tax stamp from the BATFE.

Also finding a shop that will let a random dude come in and run programs producing a firearm. That first 3D printed one got stalled initially because Stratysys stopped renting them printer time because they wanted no part of it. I'd expect a lot of makerspaces to have similar attitudes about renting CNC time for that.

It was pretty common until a couple of years ago to do "build parties". A group of people would get together, rent time on a CNC at a local shop or manufacturer, purchase kits and learn how to build the rifles. AFAIK they died down after the BATFE started talking about the people participating "being in the business of manufacturing and selling arms".

Link?

I have to believe in a lot of those cases that the shop knew whoever was organizing the build party. It is real easy to fuck up a program in a CNC and create huge damage to it in a heartbeat.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I am always terrified to smile at small children on public transit and stuff but I can't help it they're goofy babs

Once I was playing Pokémon and a kid started talking to me about Pokémon but luckily his parent was okay with it

poo
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

You can still get 80% lowers from pretty much anywhere, complete with jig and bits and DIY. Pistols too, several companies make 80% polymer Glock lowers, you just add the metal parts, none of which are regulated.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Unless we all get personal shields or 1984'd, private gun ownership in the US is highly unlikely to go anywhere. Restricted and different, yes. Totally gone? No way.

• Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    I want to ban

I mean

this is why I propose banning white people from owning guns.

• Options
    There was one dude in our dorm who had rich parents, hated condoms, and lacked any self control.

Or are you just like "no it's fine" followed by "now that you're full of semen let's see about pills"

The dude was not particularly concerned with repeat visits and also had a predatory fetish for innocent girls/virgins.

I dunno he was a friend of a friend and dogshit at DOTA but somehow kept getting dragged into our games.

imo that's behavior that waltzes into sexual predator territory

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

So about 9.2 on the fucked up scale

He had a long term girlfriend once who went everywhere with him but refused to speak to anybody but him. During a game of Cards Against Humanity she would tell him what she voted for and then he'd pick it. They broke up because after successfully convincing her to get rid of one dog because it was too much of a hassle, they got another a couple weeks later and he couldn't deal with the effort.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    sure could go for a solid meal about now. guess I'll probably have ice cream and a bottle of Endure instead.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

I am pretty sure he was, tbh.

I ate an engineer
  • Options

but you are woman

how not know babies

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

One shot.

yeah but that's bp cartridge fire. It's still a cartridge based gun

oh so you mean muzzle loaders, not black powder

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cookson_repeater
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalthoff_repeater
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper-box

you try hitting something with a pepperbox or a duckfoot.

:/

I played a DnD game once where my character had a pepperbox.

I used them as melee weapons

run up, jab it into your kidney, and BLAMMO

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

I mean it absolutely is

It sounds like he likely didn't talk thing through beforehand which is skeevy and fucked up at best, or he misled which I'm pretty sure is sexual assault or rape

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular

Link?

I have to believe in a lot of those cases that the shop knew whoever was organizing the build party. It is real easy to fuck up a program in a CNC and create huge damage to it in a heartbeat.

Calguns was the first link. Apparently the issue was the use of CNCs, the BATFE didn't have a problem with renting time on drill presses and lathes. But it was enough to scare off people that I haven't seen anyone talk about a build party on any of the gun forums I read in a couple of years.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

restrictions on handguns would absolutely pass constitutional muster as long as it wasn't a ban

thing is nobody's pushing for that because people see AR-15s in movies and thats what Democrats typically go after so we're just spinning our wheels on policies we're never going to get, and if we got them wouldn't really be effective

override367 on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    She wouldn't speak to anyone but him.

God that's so fucked up.

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    I mean, I like kids a lot and eventually would like to have some, but when it comes to experience with babies I am seriously lacking! Someone left me alone with a baby for like 10 minutes the other day and she started crying and I was like

?? are you ok baby??? what?? *pats back* is this better I guess???? I don't know if I'm supposed to pick you up? baby pls why are you loud?

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I thought grad students had to return any money after they bought their ramen and paid rent.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    On babies:

This weekend I will be around family with lots of tiny people, from my 4 year old nephew to ... I'm not sure which is newer? Two of my cousins gave birth basically back to back, and they'll both be there. There should be five or 6 people from the age 4 and under, anyway. I will frequently be called upon to be a child minder, because I have displayed a capacity for holding two infants while corralling a toddler, which is a handy and challenging skill to develop.

On guns:

I do sort of have a problem with pistols, but I understand wanting them for home defense and / or for shooting down at the range. Shotguns and rifles I'm cool with as long as we limit their ability to spit out rounds rapid-fire. And of course in general I'd like there to not be carrying in public, but I'm one of those weirdos that prefers open carry to concealed carry. If there's a gun around, I like to know about it!

I do also possess the belief, though, that as long as I'm not shot in the head or neck, I'll probably survive a single gunshot wound, as long as it's from a reasonable-sized caliber. I don't anticipate being shot, but possessing that belief lets me feel slightly safer around other people who are handling guns. Outside of a gun range or hunting trip, I probably would not handle or possess a gun myself. Home defense is not really a factor I consider, and my primary home defense tactic is a) yelling real loud, b) fleeing, or c) coming at you like a spider monkey, in that order of preference >_>

• Options
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    sure could go for a solid meal about now. guess I'll probably have ice cream and a bottle of Endure instead.

Solid typo

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    okay well, I'm going to go attempt to salvage my day

goodbye for now, friendos

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I mean, I like kids a lot and eventually would like to have some, but when it comes to experience with babies I am seriously lacking! Someone left me alone with a baby for like 10 minutes the other day and she started crying and I was like

?? are you ok baby??? what?? *pats back* is this better I guess???? I don't know if I'm supposed to pick you up? baby pls why are you loud?

babbies 101

do not shake

babbies 102

if crying, it is either hungry, needs new diaper, sleepy, or an asshole

or if recently fed, it could be gas/indigestion esp if bab is bottle fed in which case ya, patting the back works just be ready for some spit up

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Even though skippy is cool there is a part of the back of my brain that hesitates at even telling him his adorable babbs are adorable

Though I guess one is no longer even close to a babb, soy is a full on kid jeez

poo
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    what if we replaced all babies' arms with guns after they are born

...you really want to give a toddler a working gun?

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I would rather hold a gun than a baby.

This discussion has been closed.