Options

[Western Animation] RIP Peter Sallis

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Coco deserves the win. It's a great movie.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Has anyone seen the other two?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    You're not asking the right questions, @cloudeagle

Do they have a pulse?
    Can they fog a mirror?

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    The Cat in the Hat is back. This time as an animated movie.
    Warner Animation Group is ready to have lots of good fun that is funny.

The animation division of Warner Bros. Pictures has struck a deal with Dr. Seuss Enterprises to produce a series of films based on the characters and stories created by childhood mainstay Dr. Seuss, the companies jointly announced Wednesday.

The first project out of the gate will be a fully animated version of Seuss’ classic The Cat in the Hat. The project is in the development stage and a search for a writer will begin shortly.

“Our Pictures Group is home to some of the world’s most popular film franchises, and we’re honored to add Dr. Seuss titles to that roster,” Warners chairman Toby Emmerich said in a statement. “With Warner Animation Group, we’ve really revitalized our feature animation activities, and this partnership with Dr. Seuss Enterprises will continue our move into world-class, wide-appeal animated fare.”

“For generations, Dr. Seuss has entertained and delighted children and adults alike with his whimsical tales,” said Dr. Seuss Enterprises president Susan Brandt. “Our partnership with Warner Animation Group continues those efforts by reimagining the beloved characters and stories for theater-going audiences, while keeping the integrity of Dr. Seuss’s vision intact.”

Allison Abbate, executive vp, Warner Animation Group, will manage the Seuss partnership on behalf of the studio. Warner Animation Group's biggest releases so far have been the Lego movies, The Lego Movie and The Lego Batman Movie among them. The division is currently in production on Smallfoot, due out Sept. 28, and The Lego Movie Sequel, set for a Feb. 8, 2019, release.

Warners is already working with the Seuss estate via its television arm as it is producing a Green Eggs and Ham series for Netflix. A Very Good Production, A Stern Talking To and Gulfstream Television are producing.

The Cat in the Hat was previously adapted by Universal into a 2003 live-action movie starring Mike Myers. The studio was on a Seuss streak at the time, having enjoyed massive success with 2000’s Jim Carrey-starring How the Grinch Stole Christmas, although Hat was considered a disappointment. Universal and its animation division Illumination adapted The Lorax in 2012, and is tackling the Grinch again later this year, with the Benedict Cumberbatch-fronted The Grinch.

The Dr. Seuss estate is repped by ICM Partners.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Uuuuggghhh.

Illumination you are horrible and will never be pixar. Just stop.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Eh, they're probably slightly better than Dreamworks, on average.

On the other hand, STOP WITH THE SEUSS ALREADY.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    "tackling the Grinch again later this year, with the Benedict Cumberbatch-fronted The Grinch"

Won't lie though, I'm kind of curious how that plays out.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Ugh! is right, I already get daily assaulted by the Martin Short version of the cat in the hat on my kids TV channel.

• Options
    WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    There is already a really good Grinch Animation though...

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    And a guilty pleasure of a live action Grinch movie.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Eh, they're probably slightly better than Dreamworks, on average.

On the other hand, STOP WITH THE SEUSS ALREADY.

Or at least give us a big screen adaptation of The Butter Battle Book.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    And a guilty pleasure of a live action Grinch movie.

Whoever in the costume department decided that Christine Baranski's nearly entire wardrobe in that film is basically various forms of lingerie, thank you.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    https://youtu.be/zWdFRQ5YOZ8

Early Man looks interesting - been a while since we've seen an Aardman feature.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Early Man is a soccer movie set in prehistory... for some reason.

• Options
    Early man looks really dumb. Which is fine Aardman does dumb silly stories. That said the main characters are really unappealing visually, the villain is a gay panic stereotype ,and the plot is nonsense.

• Options
    So it’s starting to look like Lassiter won’t come back.

http://thr.cm/hoqYaU

• Options
    So it’s starting to look like Lassiter won’t come back.

http://thr.cm/hoqYaU

I thought this was about Psych and was real sad for a minute.

I'm less sad now. Lassiter should just retire early and I'm sure one of his many proteges can take over and we won't miss much

• Options
    edited January 2018
    I'm hoping the circumstances now are different than Disney in the late 90s and much of the 00s -- it's hard to overstate just how mediocre Disney's theatrical offerings were on the whole before he showed up and made things vastly better. Then again the executive structure of Disney is much different now, and the system he's made could transfer over to other people and keep working.

Lasseter did fantastic work, but stuff like this?
    When Pixar had such a listening event several years ago, sources say, employee complaints were aired about Lasseter's behavior generally. When Pixar co-founder Ed Catmull delivered that feedback to Lasseter, one animator says, Lasseter was so angry that he didn't speak to Catmull for more than a week.

Yeah, he's gotta go.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    This new TMNT reboot,

QumZD31.jpg

it seems fi-

h2EXSnC.jpg

Z1Z4NC5.jpg

DHxYip3.jpg

L1ZW4P4.gif

• Options
    Also apparently Raphael is the leader now?

• Options
    Eh, tonfa are a lot more useful than sai, to be honest.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    This is trying to nerf Raphael's superiority as the best turtle, also likely making him a bad leader so Leoblarghdo can swoop in later in the season and be praised and lauded.

Tonfa is stupid and wood. Like the stupid bo Donasmello uses. Sai is amazing and sharp or blunt, depending on real world or Elektra rules.

They also nerfed Leo with only having one sword and Mikey has some nunchuck yo-yo.

• Options
    It looks like Mike might be wielding a chain sickle, which is another "traditional" ninja weapon.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    It looks like Mike might be wielding a chain sickle, which is another "traditional" ninja weapon.

it looks like a hamburger saw? maybe it's like that Gogo Yubari chain thing but toyetic.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Reminds me of those looney tunes designs

Loonatix or whatever

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    More pics of the reebot designs:

VPe4dvR.jpg
    KzHiRn0.png
    4ItYghz.png

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Loonatix or whatever

Are you talking about the actually used design?

loonatics_unleashed___the_cloak_of_black_by_sarahdragon-d5zfisr.jpg

Or the crazy abstract original design?

latest?cb=20130629172010

I won't lie, the concept of that show was never great but the original designs were at least kinda interesting.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Splinter, what have they done to you... this is beyond cruel.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Ooh, black April! April being depicted as black in the way-back original comics run, cool to see. Can't wait for the not-really-fanboy outrage.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Since when did all the Ninja Turtles become frogs?

It's not like it would be weird considering some of the other TMNT stuff, but I'm just wondering when it happened and I missed it.

• Options
    zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    More pics of the reebot designs:

VPe4dvR.jpg
    KzHiRn0.png
    4ItYghz.png

Is that April or is it supposed to be a gender flipped Casey Jones? Cause the glow bat is throwing me off.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    It feels like every new iteration of the turtles goes further and further into stylistical abstraction. The next reimagining will look like something out of a Picasso painting.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    I will say the same thing I always say whenever a new TMNT series is announced:

No Ninjara, no caring.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    I will say the same thing I always say whenever a new TMNT series is announced:

No Ninjara, no caring.

Look I'm sure Raph will get in some hot mammal action anyway.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    It looks bad but even if it is, the best Turtles cartoon ever just wrapped so I don't really care if they shit one out now.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Loonatix or whatever

Are you talking about the actually used design?

loonatics_unleashed___the_cloak_of_black_by_sarahdragon-d5zfisr.jpg

Or the crazy abstract original design?

latest?cb=20130629172010

I won't lie, the concept of that show was never great but the original designs were at least kinda interesting.

The OG designs had a lot of input from the Tremblay Bros of SWAT Kats fame. One of the few times they've had work since they did that weird super-babies show for Fox in the late 90s (which itself was the one thing they did after SWAT Kats).

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I’d rather have them bring back TMNT 2k3

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I'm kinda digging the new TMNT designs, but my boy Leo needs to be the leader. That's an intriguing April look.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    If Raph isn't too much of a hotheaded jerk to be able to lead, then he's really not even Raphael at all.

But EXTREEEEME redesigns always bode ill for any relaunch of something, I do not any hopes for that show at all.

• Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    I’d rather have them bring back TMNT 2k3

I do need a nap

This discussion has been closed.