Options

The Russian/Trump Investigation: good boys

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    So I can calibrate my WTF meter, if nearly anyone else had released the kind of emails Don Jr did, they would have been arrested, right?

Only if they were a Democrat.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    For all the money Don Sr has spent on him, Don Jr *better* be "high-quality."

He poses in only the finest flannel:

FMJvur0.jpg

The quality is evident.

I don't get what image that picture is supposed to be projecting other than "Soft, rich white guy pretending to be outdoorsy".

Pretty much it.

If I wanted to get deep on it, I'd say he was trying to capture the spirit of Teddy Roosevelt's famous hunting garb photo with the unfired gun and the $800 Tiffany silver hilted-knife. But that's probably too deep a cut to expect from Jr., and unlike Donnie Boy, Teddy actually did reinvent himself and went from asthmatic and sickly entitled bookworm to hard-ridding, animal killing man of the world and the people.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    Slortex wrote: »
    Look at 'im in those boots and blue jeans. Seems like mah kind of candi-date, a real straight shooter. Bet he felled that tree himself.

How far back does Russian involvement with the Trump campaign go? The GOP is still largely circling the wagons at this point, but what if Putin interfered with the Republican primaries? Will they turn on him then, or will they think the past is irrelevant and they have to move forward with Trump?

At this point, the earliest known contact was the June meeting at Trump Tower last year that Jr. spilled the beans on on Tuesday. That's just after Sr. secured enough delegates to be the presumptive GOP nominee.

The language of the e-mail chain would seem to indicate the possiblity of some contact with Trump people before then, but this is the first known contact between anyone immediately involved with Trump or his campaign and a known Russian actor.

Right, the language and timing of the e-mails is what got me thinking about this. The first released e-mail from Goldstone was 6/3/2016, a full four days before the final republican primaries on 6/7/2016. In that e-mail, Goldstone mentions that the information offered is "part of Russia and its government's support for Mr. Trump"

So, before Trump even had secured the nomination, there's evidence that Russia is already backing Trump. Granted, at that point it already looked like Trump was going to win the nomination, but the timing makes me think that there is a very strong possibility that Russia was already helping the Trump campaign. There were investigations into this that didn't turn up anything substantial - cnn.com/2017/01/10/politics/comey-republicans-hacked-russia/index.html - Comey said that state-level campaings and organizations, as well as old domains of the RNC were hacked. Trump is actually on record of saying that the Russians tried, but were unsuccessful in hacking the RNC. Given his track record, and current developments, its hard not to wonder.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Hillary met with Ukrainian officials is the new thing now, try to keep up

What's the source on this? I've seen people say it but can't find anything on it.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

What's the source on this? I've seen people say it but can't find anything on it.

The usual suspects

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Look at 'im in those boots and blue jeans. Seems like mah kind of candi-date, a real straight shooter. Bet he felled that tree himself.

How far back does Russian involvement with the Trump campaign go? The GOP is still largely circling the wagons at this point, but what if Putin interfered with the Republican primaries? Will they turn on him then, or will they think the past is irrelevant and they have to move forward with Trump?

At this point, the earliest known contact was the June meeting at Trump Tower last year that Jr. spilled the beans on on Tuesday. That's just after Sr. secured enough delegates to be the presumptive GOP nominee.

The language of the e-mail chain would seem to indicate the possiblity of some contact with Trump people before then, but this is the first known contact between anyone immediately involved with Trump or his campaign and a known Russian actor.

Trump is actually on record of saying that the Russians tried, but were unsuccessful in hacking the RNC. Given his track record, and current developments, its hard not to wonder.

I personally wonder how long it will take them to get through. With half the Republican party cuddling up to Russia, it shouldn't be so hard to make some sort of social engineering attack. Maybe it's already happened and the Russians are sitting on the data until the right time.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Would not surprise me if it was during her official duties as SecState.

Because that kind of lame comparison is all they have now.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

It actually is a little more than that. One of her campaign employees directly contacted the Ukrainian embassy and did receive some help from some employees there, but that's it. It doesn't really compare to Trump/Russia for several reasons, not least of which is that it involved the Russian government all the way up to the very top.

And also Clinton is not the President. Trump is.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular

The usual suspects

It's not exactly exculpatory evidence, at best it's a shiny object. "They did too" doesn't hold up in court.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

It actually is a little more than that. One of her campaign employees directly contacted the Ukrainian embassy and did receive some help from some employees there, but that's it. It doesn't really compare to Trump/Russia for several reasons, not least of which is that it involved the Russian government all the way up to the very top.

If they want to put this campaign employee in the next prison cell to Donald Trump, this seems fine to me.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular

Not a campaign employee but someone hired by the campaign, if this is in reference to Chalupa's investigation.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/07/russia-trump-ukraine-clinton/533394/

If you strip away enough the two situations can be made to seem similar, but that requires dismissing the actions of the Russian government during the rest of the campaign and painting with an unnecessarily broad brush.

That it's okay for a campaign to hire someone to do opposition research doesn't mean it's okay for a campaign to sit down with representatives of a hostile foreign government to discuss their support for the campaign.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

The usual suspects

It's not exactly exculpatory evidence, at best it's a shiny object. "They did too" doesn't hold up in court.

When the day finally comes when Trump himself is testifying before Congress I fully expect it to begin with a long-winded question involving statements of timelines, descriptions of evidence, sources, documentation, all coming around to asking him something about his campaign's collusion. He'll sit there during the whole thing doing his pouty, chin-out "I think this is what a tough guy looks like" face and finally, when time comes for an answer he'll lean into the mic and say, "I know you are." *sniff* "But what am I?"

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

I think the underappreciated scandal in all of this is how Kushner still has a security clearance. You can get denied one if some people think you drink too much ffs.

The problem is that if the president says you get a security clearance, that's it.

If you make a public pronouncement, notarized by the finest of fine-upstanding-pillars-of-the-community that your plans in life from now on are to immediately publish any classified information that finds its way across your eyeballs, and the next day the president decides you're cleared for all the Sensitive Compartmentalized Information the US has, there's not a single solitary thing anyone can do about it to prevent that.

Is there a classification authority outside the executive at all? (and of course Congress can still overrule POTUS on that via legislation, but)

No. And its not clear that Congress can overrule POTUS on that via legislation as it may fall under the "executive power" or the power as commander in chief

Classification rules are statutory. They can 100% change them so POTUS can't do that.

Classification rules are NOT statutory. They're all done by executive order and rest solely on the authority of the President. That is why the President can say that anyone can have classification even though the current regulation(via executive order) does not lay out that the President can explicitly do this.

Whether or not they can do this is unknown, because congress never gave the executive the power to set classification scheduling via executive order it has always just been a power of the executive/military to decide which things need to be secret.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Surfpossum wrote: »

Not a campaign employee but someone hired by the campaign, if this is in reference to Chalupa's investigation.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/07/russia-trump-ukraine-clinton/533394/

If you strip away enough the two situations can be made to seem similar, but that requires dismissing the actions of the Russian government during the rest of the campaign and painting with an unnecessarily broad brush.

That it's okay for a campaign to hire someone to do opposition research doesn't mean it's okay for a campaign to sit down with representatives of a hostile foreign government to discuss their support for the campaign.

Also, it's not okay to hire someone to do oppo research, who then uses a foreign government, and then you use their info.

But this is still vastly different from Trump.

And Clinton is still not the President.

It's a distraction.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    So I can calibrate my WTF meter, if nearly anyone else had released the kind of emails Don Jr did, they would have been arrested, right?

Are you a liberal?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    HuffPo person;
    So, yeah. I wonder if Sr is jealous.

Edit: Didn't refresh to catch the post with the cover above.

I'm really curious what kind of rage tweeting we're going to get over this. Becuase it's gonna burn on several levels.

I'm glad you posted the tweet-sized version, because I noticed something about the cover that I overlooked in the super-sized image: The words "I love it" are dropped on the page in such a way that the look like a little mustache. My first thought was, "Hitler mustache?" but that's giving Don Jr. entirely too much power. No, it's not an adult mustache of any description: it's a milk mustache.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    There's probably some long German word for the feeling I have waiting for a more complete picture of things.

Ichbraucheschnaps*
    *I NEED SCHNAPPS!

Schnapsbedürfnis?

Cello wrote: »
    Junior is being invited to testify before the Senate Judiciary Committee.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/13/politics/chuck-grassley-donald-trump-jr-/index.html

It will be the biggest drinking event in DC since the Comey testimony.

Hopefully it's on a Monday so I can hit a bar and join in the fun and/or dull my pain.

Can he pull the Schrödinger's president privileged information stuff like sessions did?

Not really.

Firstly, a key component of Sessions' refusal to answer was "a long-standing rule or tradition" in the Justice Department. Maybe it's a written rule, maybe it's not, who can know? Donnie Jr. isn't a member of the Justice Department or, indeed, any part of the government. He has no government standing by which to say, "Well, in my Department..."

Second, Sessions - racist Keebler elf that he is - has decades of political and judicial experience. It was blatantly obvious that he was playing the clock and double-speaking to avoid refusing to answer questions but he knows how to do those things in such a way that friendly members of the committee can side with him on it. If Junior tries the same games he's going to be falling all over himself and only the most shit-eating GOP members are going to be able to defend it with a straight face.

They should use a chess lock during hearings. Everyone gets half the time but the clock only runs when a committee member is talking.

That's a good idea. Easy to stall forever, but that's tempered by all participants normally being too lazy to do their jobs and wanting to go home.

• Options
    So, when they asked Sessions for a list of his foreign contacts, he released a blank page

and said Kislyak was not listed because he was advised not to list people he met in his capacity as a Senator.

But when he was at the Mayflower, where he was photographed with Kislyak, he stated in his senate hearing that he was there as an "interested party", not as either a campaign surrogate or as a Senator.

And when he was at the RNC he traveled to and from the event using Trump Campaign funds, not his senate travel account.

So, what the fuck, Jeff

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    So, when they asked Sessions for a list of his foreign contacts, he released a blank page

and said Kislyak was not listed because he was advised not to list people he met in his capacity as a Senator.

But when he was at the Mayflower, where he was photographed with Kislyak, he stated in his senate hearing that he was there as an "interested party", not as either a campaign surrogate or as a Senator.

And when he was at the RNC he traveled to and from the event using Trump Campaign funds, not his senate travel account.

So, what the fuck, Jeff

D:/Downloads/Music/Industrial/Ministry/ThievesAndLiars.mp3

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular

FMJvur0.jpg

The quality is evident.

I don't get what image that picture is supposed to be projecting other than "Soft, rich white guy pretending to be outdoorsy".

He doesn't particularly look like he wants to be there.

• Options

FMJvur0.jpg

The quality is evident.

There's an Escalade idling just off camera that he emerged from moments before this was taken and he immediately bolted for after this photo.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular

FMJvur0.jpg

The quality is evident.

There's an Escalade idling just off camera that he emerged from moments before this was taken and he immediately bolted for after this photo.

"Hey Donald, whatcha thinkin' about?"

"Oh, just collusion stuff."

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    As someone on Twitter put it, it's a photograph of the Tree Son.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Did the Ukrainian government (or chinese which has also been mentioned) break into anyone's private servers or engage in other felonious conduct on US soil?
    I think there's a big differencee between the following two scenarios:

Candiate A hires an employee who is a former resident of Country 1 and is currently under investigation and wanted for questioning for criminal activity in that country. Candidate B's low level employee contacts the government of country 1 and requests relevant information regarding the investigation. Country 1 provides relevant, public domain information and takes no further action.

Candidate B sends feelers to contact seeking information about candidate A. A third party arranges a meeting with a former employee and well known associate of country 2 and Candidate B's campaign manager and 2 of candidate b's family members, who gives a presentation detailing the specific policy interests of country 2 in relation to. Country 2 shortly after conducts a multiple month campaign of espionage involving criminal theft of information and both provides information both to candiate b as well as releasing it publically. Candidate b following election has a cabinet member found to be inappropriately discussing country 2's policy interests with a representative of country 2, repeatedly refuses to investigate or discuss criminal activity of country 2, and fires a subordinate with the express reason of stopping an investigation into the activity of country 2.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    As someone on Twitter put it, it's a photograph of the Tree Son.

That is surprisingly amazing.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I hear a lot of mention of "the campaign" does this mean that even Pence may end out wrapped up in this thing? I was under the impression the GOP was trying to keep him out of this as much as humanly possible, but it seems like he may not be?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »

FMJvur0.jpg

The quality is evident.

"Hey Donald, whatcha thinkin' about?"

"Oh, just collusion stuff."

#JustTrumpThings

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    I hear a lot of mention of "the campaign" does this mean that even Pence may end out wrapped up in this thing? I was under the impression the GOP was trying to keep him out of this as much as humanly possible, but it seems like he may not be?

It is clear that Pence is wrapped up in this. It has been for a while. Best evidence is that Pence went and said that he did not know about Flynn and that Flynn lied to him. Pence had previously been warned about Flynn by the transition lawyers. Pence was head of the transition team, he is as deep as anyone else in this

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    This is fun. After Maddow covered a ProPublica pieces on Kasowitz and the troubles he'd have re:the Russia case, Random Guy sent Kasowitz and e-mail urging him to quit. Not, you know, polite, but for the internet? Downright neighborly. Kasowitz responded by turning into an unhinged frat boy.
    Marc Kasowitz, President Trump’s personal attorney on the Russia case, threatened a stranger in a string of profanity-laden emails Wednesday night.

The man, a retired public relations professional in the western United States who asked not to be identified, read ProPublica’s story this week on Kasowitz and sent the lawyer an email with the subject line: “Resign Now.’’

Kasowitz replied with series of angry messages sent between 9:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. Eastern time. One read: “I’m on you now. You are fucking with me now Let’s see who you are Watch your back , bitch.”

In another email, Kasowitz wrote: “Call me. Don’t be afraid, you piece of shit. Stand up. If you don’t call, you’re just afraid.” And later: “I already know where you live, I’m on you. You might as well call me. You will see me. I promise. Bro.”
    https://www.propublica.org/article/marc-kasowitz-trump-lawyer-threat-emails-maddow

Amazing. If you need a chuckle, I highly suggest checking the article and the whole string of e-mails. It's... Well, proof that Trump certainly did not hire the best of the best.

He did eventually apologize. His excuse? It was late and had been a long day. At like, 10pm.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    This is fun. After Maddow covered a ProPublica pieces on Kasowitz and the troubles he'd have re:the Russia case, Random Guy sent Kasowitz and e-mail urging him to quit. Not, you know, polite, but for the internet? Downright neighborly. Kasowitz responded by turning into an unhinged frat boy.
    Marc Kasowitz, President Trump’s personal attorney on the Russia case, threatened a stranger in a string of profanity-laden emails Wednesday night.

The man, a retired public relations professional in the western United States who asked not to be identified, read ProPublica’s story this week on Kasowitz and sent the lawyer an email with the subject line: “Resign Now.’’

Kasowitz replied with series of angry messages sent between 9:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. Eastern time. One read: “I’m on you now. You are fucking with me now Let’s see who you are Watch your back , bitch.”

In another email, Kasowitz wrote: “Call me. Don’t be afraid, you piece of shit. Stand up. If you don’t call, you’re just afraid.” And later: “I already know where you live, I’m on you. You might as well call me. You will see me. I promise. Bro.”
    https://www.propublica.org/article/marc-kasowitz-trump-lawyer-threat-emails-maddow

Amazing. If you need a chuckle, I highly suggest checking the article and the whole string of e-mails. It's... Well, proof that Trump certainly did not hire the best of the best.

He did eventually apologize. His excuse? It was late and had been a long day. At like, 10pm.

what in the actual fuck

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I thought it was already known (or at least available information) that Kasowitz engaged in this... particular style of correspondence.

I recall it leading to jokes about Trump always hiring the best, as is his wont, when he was first hired.

e: maybe I'm confusing it with a different one of his variety of illustrious characteristics.
    https://www.propublica.org/article/trump-russia-lawyer-marc-kasowitz-alcohol-security-clearance

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Turns out Peter Smith, the guy who contacted @pwnallthethings about Clinton emails and was actively seeking them from Russia that was our blockbuster story a couple weeks ago, died via suicide, not natural causes. Failing health + some life insurance thing, though I thought suicide usually voided that?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

So, what the fuck, Jeff

I'm not one to defend this administration, but foreign contacts are foreign nationals you have continuing or close relationships too.

Facebook counts.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

Since the story was published, his spokesman issued a statement disputing several parts of the story: “Marc Kasowitz has not struggled with alcoholism,” Sitrick wrote. “He has not come into the office intoxicated, attorneys have not had to go across the street to the restaurant during the workday to consult Kasowitz on work matters.”

wat

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Turns out Peter Smith, the guy who contacted @pwnallthethings about Clinton emails and was actively seeking them from Russia that was our blockbuster story a couple weeks ago, died via suicide, not natural causes. Failing health + some life insurance thing, though I thought suicide usually voided that?

Suicide coverage on life insurance is a thing. I was honestly amazed to find it was a thing but it was offered as an option on the policy I have.

• Options
    Sometimes it's a result of a policy being transferred from a company. But it's not common; especially not on term policies.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Glad to see Melania's initiative is working so well. Between her husband, her stepson, and her husband's lawyer, she's got her work cut out for her.

"The online bullying.... it's coming from inside the House!"

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular

It's like the Ocean Marketing guy all over again

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »

It's like the Ocean Marketing guy all over again

Or Dave Brandon

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I feel like someone ought to contact Kasowitz' state bar about that

Edit: also this paragraph from the ProPublica article has a quote that is an, uh, oddly specific denial
    Since the story was published, his spokesman issued a statement disputing several parts of the story: “Marc Kasowitz has not struggled with alcoholism,” Sitrick wrote. “He has not come into the office intoxicated, attorneys have not had to go across the street to the restaurant during the workday to consult Kasowitz on work matters

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
This discussion has been closed.