As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xenoblade Chronicles] Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition coming to Switch in 2020

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    About 10 hours in and there's one part of the writing I really appreciate:
    Mythra being called out on her bullshit by several characters

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    Kind of a moot point since the game auto-saves after you awaken blades, but whats peoples experience been with stuff like, a Healer on Zeke, an Attacker on Nia, etc.? Up to now I've mostly run pure blade builds, but I popped 3 rares in a row...that are all not the class I'd prefer for their drivers. I know I have a few items that let me switch Blades to other drivers, but I understand they're limited and don't want to use them unless I have something really bad.

They're hard to get, but they aren't finite. There's no super big reason to stack healers or attackers, specifically. Their little stat-mods aren't strictly tied to roles.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Kind of a moot point since the game auto-saves after you awaken blades, but whats peoples experience been with stuff like, a Healer on Zeke, an Attacker on Nia, etc.? Up to now I've mostly run pure blade builds, but I popped 3 rares in a row...that are all not the class I'd prefer for their drivers. I know I have a few items that let me switch Blades to other drivers, but I understand they're limited and don't want to use them unless I have something really bad.

They're hard to get, but they aren't finite. There's no super big reason to stack healers or attackers, specifically. Their little stat-mods aren't strictly tied to roles.

The main thing is the abilities on a blade match the role. Tank blades have arts that let them take hits, etc. Also, stacking a role insulates against AI doing dumb shit, but most fights aren't so close that's an issue - I use Tora a lot and his kit is locked at tank/tank/damage.

Healers and attackers are pretty interchangable though - they don't need to use arts to soak hits or hold aggro. You want a minimum amount of healing spread through the party, but that's about it. I often have Rex taking one healer so I get more heals when I flip to them for specials (Mythra is insanely good at building specials and healer level 3s tend to fully heal the party as a side effect) while setting up combos.

Because in the end, combos are your real damage. You want as many multipliers as possible from driver combos, the high damage of blade combos, and ultimately the insane output of full burst chain attacks.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

The main thing is the abilities on a blade match the role. Tank blades have arts that let them take hits, etc. Also, stacking a role insulates against AI doing dumb shit, but most fights aren't so close that's an issue - I use Tora a lot and his kit is locked at tank/tank/damage.

Healers and attackers are pretty interchangable though - they don't need to use arts to soak hits or hold aggro. You want a minimum amount of healing spread through the party, but that's about it. I often have Rex taking one healer so I get more heals when I flip to them for specials (Mythra is insanely good at building specials and healer level 3s tend to fully heal the party as a side effect) while setting up combos.

Because in the end, combos are your real damage. You want as many multipliers as possible from driver combos, the high damage of blade combos, and ultimately the insane output of full burst chain attacks.

The one thing the game doesn't tell you is that fusion combos (driver combo is on enemy and then you use a blade combo) increase the damage dramatically if you use multipel stages of the blade combo on the SAME stage of a driver combo:

E.g.: Someone Breaks->Mythra uses level 1 special->dromarch uses level 2 special on that same break = more damage out of dromarch than if you had put the break on after mythra's level 1.

Each stage of driver combo beyond the first (topple/launch) does 25% more damage during a blade combo, but if you fusion combo them the damage more than doubles.

Basically it is stronger to do two on the same break than to topple them.

If you want to see some real ridiculous damage, go take wulfric and use a fusion combo with his level IV (not his III).

E.g.: Do wulfric's tier I. Then build up to IV. Once someone breaks, do the volcano with poppi QT or some other fire blade and then finish with wulfric IV while that same break is on.

Almost nothing can survive that.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »

The one thing the game doesn't tell you is that fusion combos (driver combo is on enemy and then you use a blade combo) increase the damage dramatically if you use multipel stages of the blade combo on the SAME stage of a driver combo:

E.g.: Someone Breaks->Mythra uses level 1 special->dromarch uses level 2 special on that same break = more damage out of dromarch than if you had put the break on after mythra's level 1.

Each stage of driver combo beyond the first (topple/launch) does 25% more damage during a blade combo, but if you fusion combo them the damage more than doubles.

If you want to see some real ridiculous damage, go take wulfric and use a fusion combo with his level IV (not his III).

E.g.: Do wulfric's tier I. Then build up to IV. Once someone breaks, do the volcano with poppi QT or some other fire blade and then finish with wulfric IV while that same break is on.

Hmm. I'm not sure about that. I'm pretty sure e.g. Photon Break is the same multiplier whichever side you put on first.

But managing to line up the perfect finish (Smash in the brief window after finishing a blade combo) is something else.

• Options

True, the healers have healing arts, but how many copies of Healing halo and Healing Circle do you need?

• Options

True, the healers have healing arts, but how many copies of Healing halo and Healing Circle do you need?

Depends how much damage is incoming.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

Hmm. I'm not sure about that. I'm pretty sure e.g. Photon Break is the same multiplier whichever side you put on first.

But managing to line up the perfect finish (Smash in the brief window after finishing a blade combo) is something else.

It’s not. Trust me.

It’s real easy to test. Do a fusion blade combo stage 3 and then do another where you apply the break only before the 3rd stage. You’ll see.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Re: Fusion Combos. Spoiler alert:

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular

Thanks. Just hearing "it isn't the end of the world" is a big help. Up until this point I hadn't gotten many rare blades and they all happened to fit each characters archetype so it never even occurred to me as an issue.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Question about the final Blade that joins you in Torna
    So, Minoth is Amalthus' Blade, right? So how come he can join up with Addam? Does that get explained at some point later on? Or is it just an example of gameplay taking precedence over story?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    XerinkXerink Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Question about the final Blade that joins you in Torna
    So, Minoth is Amalthus' Blade, right? So how come he can join up with Addam? Does that get explained at some point later on? Or is it just an example of gameplay taking precedence over story?
    They kind of explain it away by Minoth explaining he's a Flesh Eater and this does not need to be fighting with Amalthus to unleash his full potential. Then I suppose for gameplay reasons he functions as a Blade for Addam rather than a separate entity. I don't know if the explanation goes further than that; I didn't catch anything else.

PSN: darkhart0
    3DS FC: 2234-7230-2712
    Battle.net: Kriese#1709
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Depends how much damage is incoming.

I should rephrase that, since it's about mixing or not. How many copies does one character who may get knocked out by a strong attack need, if the overall number doesn't change?
    Fortunately, Anchor Shot is usually there to help out.

PLA on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Just finished Torna after about 30 hours. Wow, what an ending.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I heard JP Nia on youtube.
    holy crap that toddler voice is terrifying.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Nia's EN VA is so good, so that's a heck of a contrast.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Oops, accidentally ordered Torna twice from Amazon somehow.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Nia's EN VA is so good, so that's a heck of a contrast.

and she's an adult... the JP voice is ridiculously juvenile.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Just a quick psa because it caused me some confusion. To get the downloaded version of the expansion you need to load into an existing save and open the in game menu. Then go to "notifications" to get access to the dlc.

Why they didn't just add a DLC section to the startup screen I'll never know.

The downloaded version is cheaper than physical and comes with all of the original Xenoblade 2 dlc.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Wait, what?

I'm playing via the Season Pass version, and there's a giant Torna button on the title screen to switch to it.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Wait, what?

I'm playing via the Season Pass version, and there's a giant Torna button on the title screen to switch to it.

Did you buy it earlier? I'm talking about buying the dlc, not loading into the Torna expansion.

• Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Uhh. I just started playing this. I have a few questions. Is there a limit to how many blades each driver can have? What do I do with the non-rare ones?

I'm going to seriously learn how to do combos. Right now I'm just button mashing.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Uhh. I just started playing this. I have a few questions. Is there a limit to how many blades each driver can have? What do I do with the non-rare ones?

I'm going to seriously learn how to do combos. Right now I'm just button mashing.

There is a limit to how many blades each driver can have.

Keep the non-rare ones around; there will be checks sometimes that require x strength of a particular element that the non-rares can help with.

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    Finished Torna. That was pretty damn good.

Although I can't really recommend it to someone who hasn't played the base game, despite that being an option. You'd be missing out on way too much and flat out not understand a lot of things because the game doesn't explain them.

• Options
    Man, after playing through Torna, it’s so hard going back to the main game. The battle system is just so much better in Torna.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I'm almost done, and Torna is possibly my favourite prequel I've ever played. You definitely need to play the original, and knowing where this ends up isn't a ding against it, it makes it a better story.
    It makes it so much more tragic as these characters become a found family, even starting to make future plans together, knowing that it will all fall apart

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    World War 2 setting for the next game confirmed

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

I fully expect the "third option" to have a thoroughly confusing title like the other two options. :razz:

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »

I fully expect the "third option" to have a thoroughly confusing title like the other two options. :razz:

More than a hypothetical X2?

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Axen wrote: »

More than a hypothetical X2?

Lol, probably.

edit-

Xenoblade Chronicles
    Xenoblade Chronicles X
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2
    Xenoblade Chronicles X2

and introducing Xenoblade Chronicles: The Third

:razz:

Axen on
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Remember when Nintendo refused to bring Xenoblade Chronicles over to the US because they didn't think there was a market for it?

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Remember when Nintendo refused to bring Xenoblade Chronicles over to the US because they didn't think there was a market for it?

To be fair they weren't exactly wrong. Hell, the sales for it in Japan were fairly dismal too I'd say.

All in all I'm surprised they kept putting faith in the series, but the long burn has paid off. Which is good news for everyone.

edit- I do strongly suspect XCX2 is under development.

Axen on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    This is why I'm eternally confused by sales numbers, thanks to a combination of most companies unreasonable expectations tainting things, and the insane sales of other games. Because I'm partially conditioned to think "1.5 million sales in a year for a flagship title... that's kind of mediocre, isn't it?". Especially when something like Spider-Man sold over double that... in 3 days.

As long as Nintendo considers it a smash success though, that's all that really matters.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    This is why I'm eternally confused by sales numbers, thanks to a combination of most companies unreasonable expectations tainting things, and the insane sales of other games. Because I'm partially conditioned to think "1.5 million sales in a year for a flagship title... that's kind of mediocre, isn't it?". Especially when something like Spider-Man sold over double that... in 3 days.

As long as Nintendo considers it a smash success though, that's all that really matters.

I think it mainly depends on how much they spent to develop it and what their expectations were.

Kirby games sell only in the 1-1.5m range for instance. But those have to be consistently profitable from how often Nintendo cranks them out (I imagine they've been able to reuse lots of the code and assets game to game with the portable ones especially).

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Yeah that and Japanese Publishers (especially Nintendo) typically don't spend more the the game's entire goddamn budget on marketing either. Which I'm sure helps a lot.

The XC series hasn't ever been hugely popular yet it is clearly profitable to Monolith and Nintendo.

Axen on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Maybe they'll go back to the '90s for the third route and we'll get Xenoblade Chronicles X-Treem!

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Xenoblade Chronicles X2: Saga

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    So as someone whose biggest issue with XBC1 being that it just kinda dragged on and on, so you think this expandalone of XBC2 would be closer to the sweet spot? And I've heard you don't really need to play XBC2 to get the story, is that true?

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Dirty wrote: »
    So as someone whose biggest issue with XBC1 being that it just kinda dragged on and on, so you think this expandalone of XBC2 would be closer to the sweet spot? And I've heard you don't really need to play XBC2 to get the story, is that true?

Completely separate story.

And as someone who really, really didn't care for XC1 I can tell you that I really, really enjoy XC2.

Whether or not you would I can't really say. Honestly I don't know why I didn't like XC1 in the first place as on paper it should have been right up my alley.

edit- Oh my mistake, I thought you were asking if XC2 was a separate story from XC1. In that case, yeah it'd help a lot if you knew the story of XC2 for Torna.

edit 2- In the case of XC2 and Torna's story think of it like a prequel movie.

Would you watch a movie that was a prequel to another movie you'd never seen before? Cause that's basically what the experience is like.

Axen on
  • Options
    Dirty wrote: »

That's not really true at all.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA