Options

[Secret World Legends] - TTRPG Kickstarter huge success - Winter is coming

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Has anyone managed to get a weapon drop from Polaris? I'm curious if they have the old Orochi weapon skins from classic TSW.

edit:
    I'm giving up on that for now. I did luck out on the AH. Someone was selling an assault rifle of alarcity mkIII for 1000 marks of favor. Instant buy. +20% movement speed while in combat. It has the M16 weapon model that I hate, but hopefully they'll get weapon reskinning implemented soon.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I solo'd a ton of TSW with Rifle before moving to my horrendously overpowered Fist/Chaos solo build that could handle group 5 quests

Fist/Chaos was a spectacular solo build.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    online if anyone can throw me an cabal invite

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Auction house is back up. Bought some nice things, trying to sell some things.

I picked up two nice looking gadgets.

Purification drone: Summons a drone that every second for six seconds attempts to cleanse my defensive target of a negative effect. If there are no negative effects, it then starts checking other party members for negative effects to cleanse.

Superluminal bridge: Teleport backwards 10m. This one should be fun with the rifle backflip ability. Between the two of them and the dodge, there is the potential for a lot of mobility. Might be helpful in some boss fights.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have experience with editing stuff that was recorded with ShadowPlay? I have about 4 to 5 hours of SWL recorded and the audio has a slight buzz when I talk and it annoys me and I am not sure how to fix it. I really want to post the SWL videos but I don't feel good about the audio quality for commentary.

Also, if anyone needs an invite to the New Arcadians throw a message at me or Darkmayo.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    so...if I were to build a tank...what do you guys suggest for prime and secondary? I was thinking hammer and shotgun, but I honestly don't know the skill sets at all beyond what I'm currently using with chaos and pistols. And neither of those seem...tanky...

• Options
    I'm pretty sure that chaos tanks are supposed to be evasion tanks.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    texasheat wrote: »
    so...if I were to build a tank...what do you guys suggest for prime and secondary? I was thinking hammer and shotgun, but I honestly don't know the skill sets at all beyond what I'm currently using with chaos and pistols. And neither of those seem...tanky...

I'm speaking from TSW experience here, but it should still apply.

The tanking weapons are chaos, blade, and hammer. All of them have moves that produce increased enmity, plus an extra gimmick- chaos uses evasion, blade defense, and hammer block. From TSW, using only evasion was not good- even with high evasion, at some point you will take a hit, and without defense or block to back it up, you go squish. (It was fine for normal dungeons but once you started elites, it really started to fall apart.)

I believe block > defense for the most part, as well.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    From what I can see from the powersets so far, you want to be primarily one weapon, with 1-3 abilities from a second. One of those should be a damage 'power' ability, so you're always using more efficient attacks, while the other should be an impactful utility power from the secondary, like a heal, a defense buff, a purge or cleanse, or some kind of debuff/damage amplifier.

Example: Primary shotgun tank, with Rewind or the pull+taunt from Chaos, and a secondary damage power for when your energy runs out.

As a tank though, is rather load up on defensive buffs and interrupts if possible, and deal with needing to spam a basic high hate AOE from time to time.

Edit: I really like how some abilities are meh until you pick up a passive, which then become awesome. Flicker in Elementalism is one of these. You teleport, and leave a damage field on the ground, and can teleport again. With the associated path, you also do some damage, and STUN EVERYTHING YOU HIT. The targeted AoE pulsing cold resist debuff manifestation at the start of Elementalism is also like this. With the passive, it now follows you, and slows enemies, making it a damage amplification kiting power.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    So if I switched my pistols out for a hammer that'd be pretty tanky right? I mean I'd take a DPS hit hard, but it would do pretty well right? I think i'll just look at doing that once I hit my capstones for both pistols and chaos.

• Options

The tanking weapons are chaos, blade, and hammer. All of them have moves that produce increased enmity, plus an extra gimmick- chaos uses evasion, blade defense, and hammer block. From TSW, using only evasion was not good- even with high evasion, at some point you will take a hit, and without defense or block to back it up, you go squish. (It was fine for normal dungeons but once you started elites, it really started to fall apart.)

I'm afraid it no longer applies. Tanking is now based on HP, evasion and protection, Blade is a DPS weapon now, and Shotgun became a tank weapon. It's very, very different to TSW.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    I don't know how quickly the dungeons start getting serious. Polaris at least was such a cakewalk that you pretty much wanted people to run more DPS to speed things up. One player missed one of the lesser boss fights entirely because he was asking questions about the dungeon. I was answering his questions during that same fight.

It was mostly an exercise in avoiding broadcast attacks.

I only saw people seriously taking damage from the following sources :
    1: people using rifles and failing to play hot potato with EVERY SINGLE ONE of their own grenades. I was dumbstruck at how common that was.
    2: standing in the fire. No that doesn't do it justice. Camping in the fire was more like it.
    3: trying to solo the ur-draug during the foggy phase.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    I was on a Polaris run that succeeded only because:

1) The other two were level 16 and did so much damage.
    2) My level 12 ass heals were on POINT.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I watched someone stand in the electrified water the entire time on the second part of giant crabdudr, so they died.

• Options
    Kay wrote: »

This is contrary to my experiences. I suspect that they were getting hit by avoidable damage and forcing you to heal more than you needed to.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular

I'm afraid it no longer applies. Tanking is now based on HP, evasion and protection, Blade is a DPS weapon now, and Shotgun became a tank weapon. It's very, very different to TSW.

Yeah, I was Chaos/Blade all through TSW and in SWL I've had to switch to Chaos/Shotgun. Not only did Blade loose it's tanking stats, it doesn't even feel the same playing it. My friend who was Elemental/Shotgun in TSW says the same about Shotgun, that it's changed so much it's not even the same weapon. I however, am loving the new way shotgun plays.

I haven't seen any block or defense, so I'm pretty sure they've been rolled up into the new Protection stat.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options

This is contrary to my experiences. I suspect that they were getting hit by avoidable damage and forcing you to heal more than you needed to.
    They showed no intention of getting out of the stupid, and were near death when I started healing. They also didn't respond to anything I said in group chat, and kept shooting the Ur-Draug through the dimensional shifts.

Their health pools, increased damage, and me healing my ASS off were the only reasons we got through it.

Every other time with sane people was an absolute cakewalk.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I finally got my first item to 20 and upgraded it to blue. I also saw that it goes Green, rare, epic, mythic, and legendary now for upgrade paths. That seems a bit absurd.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I finally got my first item to 20 and upgraded it to blue. I also saw that it goes Green, rare, epic, mythic, and legendary now for upgrade paths. That seems a bit absurd.

Fill ALL THE BARS!

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    My pistol is now blue at 25, necklace blue 25 working on getting the shotgun up to 25 and other bits to to become blues. With the auction house open again i'll end up picking up some pieces here and there.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    My only Blue is my 3* Attack head talisman right now

But that's mostly because I've been hoarding my marks for inventory upgrades because I'm running into situations where I'm having trouble clearing quests because they require holding multiple macguffins

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Speaking of protection, I saw several gadgets that boost protection on the AH that I intend to buy once I finish saving up for sprint level 3.

One that I looted provides an shield dome that bolsters the protection of everyone inside.

Another one that looked interesting applies a stackable buff to you and your teammates that boosts your defense, with the implication being that a team activating it in unison will receive a huge group wide protection boost.

Finally the one that most caught my eye makes you dash to your defensive target and apply a temporary defense boost to your target of about +9600 protection (it's over nine thousaaaaaaaand!!!!). Assuming that I'm not dashing into an aoes, that should dramatically mitigate the damage from major boss attacks that the tank is forced to take.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Interesting. With my vertigo issues I was planning on blade/chaos PBAOE and thinking I'd have to gear myself for tanking, but given what y'all are saying I guess I don't have to.

EDIT: I also find it interesting that some of these gadgets are quite literally TSW abilities. Like the one mentioned above is Saving Grace from Blade, and the drone that cleanses debuffs is Pistols' Cleansing Drone (natch).

ringswraith on
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    I pulled a blue non-weapon out of a quest reward yesterday, at level 27 or 28. It was embarassingly better than whatever it replaced.

I've also got a gadget that gives everyone in the group ~2500 protection, and can stack up to five times (which my guess is to encourage multiple people in the party all using it and getting like 15-20s of absurd party wide damage reduction).

• Options
    Oats wrote: »
    I pulled a blue non-weapon out of a quest reward yesterday, at level 27 or 28. It was embarassingly better than whatever it replaced.

I've also got a gadget that gives everyone in the group ~2500 protection, and can stack up to five times (which my guess is to encourage multiple people in the party all using it and getting like 15-20s of absurd party wide damage reduction).

yea the blue's tend to be the max level stats + of what a green would be, its night and day. Though not sure how much the numbers matter, My blue pistol at base level was 500 weapon power, at 25 it is 1000 weapon power.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @ringswraith
    Speaking of your vertigo, through chance I noticed someone in general chat explaining that you can zoom the camera out farther by holding ctrl and then using the mouse wheel. I wasn't aware of that until then and I don't know if you were aware of it.

If you haven't tried it already, it might be worth trying to reposition the camera to a new perspective that way to see if it alleviates some of your symptoms.

Also, when you run Polaris, you might want to close your eyes at the very start of the first phase of the fight against Mr electric crab hands. The camera shakes pretty badly when he drops in from the sky and roars at you.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    @ringswraith
    Speaking of your vertigo, through chance I noticed someone in general chat explaining that you can zoom the camera out farther by holding ctrl and then using the mouse wheel. I wasn't aware of that until then and I don't know if you were aware of it.

If you haven't tried it already, it might be worth trying to reposition the camera to a new perspective that way to see if it alleviates some of your symptoms.

Also, when you run Polaris, you might want to close your eyes at the very start of the first phase of the fight against Mr electric crab hands. The camera shakes pretty badly when he drops in from the sky and roars at you.

I know about it and I do use it. It doesn't help much.

The distance isn't as big an issue as the constant need to shift the FoV around and/or change zoom levels. That's why I'm hoping to do PBAOE's, so I don't have to do that.

• Options
    Looks like weapons that drop at higher rarity by default have additional effects added to them

So turns out all those green weapons are just actually useless long term

• Options
    Looks like weapons that drop at higher rarity by default have additional effects added to them

So turns out all those green weapons are just actually useless long term

use em as upgrade bait either as individuals or level up a like item for what you are wearing and use that for fusion, no sense in wasting a good blue to fuse to purple or higher.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    I realize that you can level up garbage and use it for fusion, I assure you I don't need to be reminded every time I talk about the loot setup

• Options
    Interesting. With my vertigo issues I was planning on blade/chaos PBAOE and thinking I'd have to gear myself for tanking, but given what y'all are saying I guess I don't have to.

EDIT: I also find it interesting that some of these gadgets are quite literally TSW abilities. Like the one mentioned above is Saving Grace from Blade, and the drone that cleanses debuffs is Pistols' Cleansing Drone (natch).

Good news: Chaos and Fists both have PBAoE damage abilities, as does Hammer (and Blades too).

Chaos/Fist might be better for the off-heal, though the tankiness in Hammer does seem good and Chaos' click-faux-heals are great.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    I realize that you can level up garbage and use it for fusion, I assure you I don't need to be reminded every time I talk about the loot setup

Oh did I state that previously? Apologies.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options

Good news: Chaos and Fists both have PBAoE damage abilities, as does Hammer (and Blades too).

Chaos/Fist might be better for the off-heal, though the tankiness in Hammer does seem good and Chaos' click-faux-heals are great.

Was thinking Blade for flavor. And then Chaos for secondary, hoping I can make it work and still have Chaos' random procs happen often enough to be worthwhile.

• Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Was thinking Blade for flavor. And then Chaos for secondary, hoping I can make it work and still have Chaos' random procs happen often enough to be worthwhile.

There's a Chaos passive that has a chance to just give you a paradox every few seconds or so. Might be useful for your purposes.

Sneaks on
  • Options

Paradoxes only proc from Chaos abilities, or the chance per second passives. You'd be best off taking survival clicks like Rewind and the evasion one of you want Chaos secondary.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options

It's just that you keep calling things that have quite a bit of value as useless.

I won't be using the green that I got at level 14 at end game. I've been devoting resources to upgrade it and it's now climbing the blue ranks. Eventually I'll find a superior blue with a special effect that I desire. The green that I've upgraded to blue will in turn help me turn that superior special blue into a purple. It wasn't a waste investing resources into my gear and my gear was still useful and valuable even though it eventually gets replaced.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    So far, it seems like superior items come with some sort of ability based on their weapon feature

Chaos Focus spawns an additional doppelganger, Shotgun causes you to have a higher chance to get depleted uranium slugs and a lower chance to get anima infused, AR gets grenades loaded immediately fully cooked but lowers the timer to 3 seconds, etc

Some of them are way better than others

epic items all seem to have the same ability, anima-touched, which is a damage proc that heals

Unless you're opening agarthan caches though, I don't even know where you'd get those items (Well, you'd get them from the auction house, really)

So far I've got a Mk2 Sov-Tech Shotgun of Havok, which is the one with a higher chance to get depleted uranium slugs and Havok is the +crit damage/heal

The screen on dungeon chests seems to imply that red background talismans exist, but if that is the case nobody is selling any on the auction house so I'm inclined to believe that talismans are just talismans, which honestly seems like a small blessing considering the current system is essentially RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG on top of a bedrock of "give us money", like the chances of getting a blue or purple weapon seems incredibly slim from the get go let alone the type I use, then there's Diablo-style affixes, THEN there's item quality.

EDIT: I do think it's funny, however, that as you go on they basically improve the quantity of rewards but not the quality

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Oh hey, additional PSA, if anyone had the loyal dog stuck in their inventory, you can now right click it to get rid of it.

• Options
    I received a red background belt with tank stats from Polaris. It has an effect that draws hate from hostiles within my line of sight, but I don't remember the specifics of it. As rifle /blood, I fall in the spectrum between DPS and healing so it's not really very useful for me.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    I've got a red-backed healing necklace that I can't remember the bonus effect of. Something something when you heal a chump etc etc.