Options

[Star Wars] The Last Porg (TAG ALL SPOILERS)

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Did I need a book on how Boba Fett escaped the sarlacc pit and was nursed back to health by his rival and head-wrap enthusiast Dengar?

Yes. Yes I did.

I read that one.

It had some of the better interpersonal working relationships I've seen in Star Wars up to today. It wasn't Thrawn-Pallaeon, but it was pretty damn good.

Granted, even today the standards aren't super high, but I remember that sticking out.

The whole fiasco with IG-88 taking over the universe was kind of dumb though.
    After a while they will have retconned all non-movie material one way or another. It's why I think most people were okay with them chucking the EU and picking the best parts to expand on. Like, as sad as I am that Young Jedi Knights was made pointless, I'm also glad that certain stories got to be left behind. I loved Boba Fett as a kid but only because he got expanded on in the EU. Movie Boba just kinda looks cool, threatens people with guns, and dies to blind dude with a stick (Slapstick Solo strikes again!)

Worst loss of the whole deal was Kyle Katarn. He was one of the few EU heroes who felt like a part of the original trilogy proper.

Wait, are you two talking about the Tales of the Bounty Hunters short story anthology (which was a mixed bag, but had some cool bits), or the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy by K.W. Jeter? I seem to remember really enjoying the latter, though off the top of my head the space arachnid information broker is the only new character from it whose name I remember; Kud'ar Mub'at. Also, the cyborg bounty hunter with a laser cannon for a head was ridiculously dumb in that kind of way that's totally awesome while you're reading it.

Bounty Hunter Wars was awesome AF.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Not sure if this is old news but apparently some promo images leaked for The Last Jedi

light spoilers, mostly just character appearances (including a close-up of Snoke and one of his Imperial Guard knock-offs)
    https://hypebeast.com/2017/7/star-wars-snoke-skywalker-images-leaked

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Wow, Snoke looks kind of gross. But it puts the final nail in the Snoke=Mace Windu theory I've seen.

Also, the new crimson guard look kind of goofy with no visor or other way to see out of their helmets. I guess they've got some kind of vid screen inside, but there's no camera or anything on their gear. Maybe they just use the force?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Wow, Snoke looks kind of gross. But it puts the final nail in the Snoke=Mace Windu theory I've seen.

Also, the new crimson guard look kind of goofy with no visor or other way to see out of their helmets. I guess they've got some kind of vid screen inside, but there's no camera or anything on their gear. Maybe they just use the force?

Given the size of cameras that we have now, those helmets could have them and we might not be able to see them.
    Or, maybe the face plate is transparent from the inside?
    Micro probe droids nearby that send area video to the guard?

Lots of possibilities for a scifi setting.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

That was a theory? Seems like a giant stretch, even if Mace didn't fall from a hundred story tower. Even "Rey is Obiwan's daughter" is possible because what was Obiwan doing those years Luke was growing up in? Although that would make me a little upset because from what we see Old Ben Kenobi doesn't have a job and would be a deadbeat dad.

Also thinking about it, if Luke is in his 50s or something that would also be a stretch. I assume Rey is in her early twenties. That gives a tiny window of that happening.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    see317 wrote: »

Given the size of cameras that we have now, those helmets could have them and we might not be able to see them.
    Or, maybe the face plate is transparent from the inside?
    Micro probe droids nearby that send area video to the guard?

Lots of possibilities for a scifi setting.

Fair point. Although I'm leaning towards Force shenanigans. Remember the scene of Obi-Wan training Luke aboard the Falcon?
    Kadoken wrote: »

That was a theory? Seems like a giant stretch, even if Mace didn't fall from a hundred story tower. Even "Rey is Obiwan's daughter" is possible because what was Obiwan doing those years Luke was growing up in? Although that would make me a little upset because from what we see Old Ben Kenobi doesn't have a job and would be a deadbeat dad.

Also thinking about it, if Luke is in his 50s or something that would also be a stretch. I assume Rey is in her early twenties. That gives a tiny window of that happening.

I never bought it, but it was something to do with a Jedi should be able to break his fall using the force and fuck if I know.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Holy crap I just noticed the pic of Luke on that twitter account, that is exactly what I wanted to see

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Rey is 19, so she was born about 11 years after Palpatine's death. So, in order to be a Kenobi (or a Palpatine, since I've seen that theory floating around) she'd have to either be a grandchild or subject to some sort of cryostasis shenanigans.

My money is still on her being Skywalker, if only because it adds fewer moving parts than any other option. Even if you made it so she didn't have any special heritage, you'd then have to explain why a rando Force-sensitive is capable of dueling a Skywalker to a standstill the first time she touches a lightsaber.

I'm also really hoping they keep Finn just a (potentially Force-sensitive) dude who didn't drink the kool-aid. People have been theorizing that he's some sort of lost prince (since Leia was a princess) or even that's a descendant of Mace, which is just, ugh. Let's not make two of the four black film characters related to each other, please.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Rey Binks

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    So I just saw rogue one. Was solid. Did a better job being a prequel than the original prequels

That being said one thing bothered me
    why did saw just let himself die? Makes no sense and seemed cheap for a lame stay behind and die so others can live moment without any need for him to do so...

But aside from that it nailed feeling like a grittier look at Star Wars without feeling grim dark or emo.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Disrupter wrote: »
    So I just saw rogue one. Was solid. Did a better job being a prequel than the original prequels

why did saw just let himself die? Makes no sense and seemed cheap for a lame stay behind and die so others can live moment without any need for him to do so...

But aside from that it nailed feeling like a grittier look at Star Wars without feeling grim dark or emo.
    I think it was more than Saw was tired and just wanted things to end. Watching a world burn is as good a way as any, I guess.

This is said with the caveat that large portions of his role were left on the cutting room floor.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »

I think it was more than Saw was tired and just wanted things to end. Watching a world burn is as good a way as any, I guess.

This is said with the caveat that large portions of his role were left on the cutting room floor.
    Yeah, Saw's been fighting a long time. He started as an anti-separatist fighter in the Clone Wars, then kept fighting as the Republic turned in The Empire.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Mancingtom wrote: »

Yeah, Saw's been fighting a long time. He started as an anti-separatist fighter in the Clone Wars, then kept fighting as the Republic turned in The Empire.
    Spending all that time fighting for a single city only for it to get obliterated via orbital death ray from a moon sized super-weapon powered by the Kyber crystals he failed to stop the flow of probably helped to take the wind out of his sails too.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Also... I think Saw walks slow as hell on account of them robot legs.

As for Rey and Finn, I'd be okay with them both being original characters without a tie to the old trilogy guys. They clearly are setting up some shit with Rey's backstory, and the only likely answers would be her being a Skywalker/Kenobi. Of course, that's if they don't do some dumb cloning stuff or another goofy solution. I like the Kenobi theory just because it would be a nice story that Ben trained Vader and Luke, and then Luke trains Ben's kid to mow down his emo nephew.

Finn and Poe should absolutey stay unrelated. Also Snoke, I think the real story with him would be cooler if he's not like, Palpatine's uncle or whatever. That just feels like a cheap tie in like when they would over explain OT events in prequels and the EU.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular

As for Rey and Finn, I'd be okay with them both being original characters without a tie to the old trilogy guys. They clearly are setting up some shit with Rey's backstory, and the only likely answers would be her being a Skywalker/Kenobi. Of course, that's if they don't do some dumb cloning stuff or another goofy solution. I like the Kenobi theory just because it would be a nice story that Ben trained Vader and Luke, and then Luke trains Ben's kid to mow down his emo nephew.

Finn and Poe should absolutey stay unrelated. Also Snoke, I think the real story with him would be cooler if he's not like, Palpatine's uncle or whatever. That just feels like a cheap tie in like when they would over explain OT events in prequels and the EU.

Damn straight incest is icky.

• Options
    Rchanen wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCLXfLy8CAE

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

They didn't know! No one knew! Everyone is so sorry!

R2-D2 knew, but thought it was hilarious so didn't say anything.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular

Snoke speculation (pure speculation, not based on anything)
    At this point I think Snoke is an old-school Republic Jedi that survived the war, but was displeased with the way Luke was training the new generation (with probably far more interest in his students emotional wellbeing than the original Jedi) and then just went full-on Dark Jedi just to prove Luke wrong. Interpretation may be fueled by recent political developments.

Anyway, I rewatched the Force Awakens yesterday for the first time since it left the theatres. Every time I watch it, I love it a bit more. The whole superweapon is still superfluous, but it's really a small part of the movie and just a thing to move the plot along.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Snoke is

3580810-9049500674-jar-.j.jpeg

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Look at that miserable fucker

Just look at him

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular

They didn't know! No one knew! Everyone is so sorry!

R2-D2 knew, but thought it was hilarious so didn't say anything.

R2 probably went "Yeah, I would totally date another Astromech. Humans have something against dating people from the same manufacturer? Y'all are weird."

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    exhNamr.jpg

• Options
    I think it'd be heartwarming if, at some point during TLJ, somebody asks for Finn's last name and Poe says "Dameron."

Also, on Snoke:
    I really dig the idea that he's an old school Jedi running amok. It's pretty clear at this point that the trilogy will feature a new kind of Jedi- what if the Knights of Ren are Snoke's attempt? Lots of ancillary material for TFA made a big deal of the fact that Snoke was intrigued by Kylo's "mix" of light and dark.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Snoke is going to wind up being
    Darth Plagueis except retconned to be human and not Muun

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    No, that would be too lame.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

I can think of 3 entire movies that were too lame. But they still happened.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

The bones of the prequels are good. Secret Sith in charge of Republic engineers destabilizing war to eliminate the Jedi and establish the Empire. But yeah, they were definitely undercooked.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

The bones of the prequels are good. Secret Sith in charge of Republic engineers destabilizing war to eliminate the Jedi and establish the Empire. But yeah, they were definitely undercooked.

I've seen at least one fan criticism and proposed rewrite of the PT which was stunningly better than what we actually got and used all the same characters.

Which was not to say it was an amazing set of rewrites, it was merely a good set of rewrites from some random guy on the internet made stunning by comparison to the bottom-of-the-barrel crap we got from the guy who made the stuff up in the first place. It's a damn shame Lucas bought into his own hype instead of recognizing that he's a decent big-picture guy and needs better writers to handle the details.

But hey, at least we got way too much green-screen used several years before it was actually ready. That was a really important thing to do. Very significant.

• Options

I've seen at least one fan criticism and proposed rewrite of the PT which was stunningly better than what we actually got and used all the same characters.

Which was not to say it was an amazing set of rewrites, it was merely a good set of rewrites from some random guy on the internet made stunning by comparison to the bottom-of-the-barrel crap we got from the guy who made the stuff up in the first place. It's a damn shame Lucas bought into his own hype instead of recognizing that he's a decent big-picture guy and needs better writers to handle the details.

But hey, at least we got way too much green-screen used several years before it was actually ready. That was a really important thing to do. Very significant.

To this day, I think CGI still works better when it's used primarily to augment practical effects, see LotR vs the Hobbit movies. Look at how bugged people were with CGI Tarkin and Leia in Rogue One.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options

The best thing about the PT are both Clone Wars cartoons.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

To this day, I think CGI still works better when it's used primarily to augment practical effects, see LotR vs the Hobbit movies. Look at how bugged people were with CGI Tarkin and Leia in Rogue One.

Yeah, but look how little they noticed the rest of the CGI in there (like the establishing shots of the city or the landscape or the skylines), or how much they praised the CGI on the Deathstar looking like it was done with models.

Bad CGI is bad, but a lot of good CGI doesn't get noticed. Whenever someone says CGI is bad, or CGI is only good in certain situations, it's very easy to point out that there's tons of CGI that's so good that people don't notice it.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I kinda liked CGI Tarkin and Leia. Aside from being mostly obvious, I thought they were pretty well done.

I mean, they were kind of necessary for the story and the way there were put in was handled as well as could be considering one of the actors was dead, and the other one was significantly older (and way more awesome).

Mind you, I still haven't watched my Blu-ray copy yet, so my memories are still from the single movie theatre experience I had...

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    I kinda liked CGI Tarkin and Leia. Aside from being mostly obvious, I thought they were pretty well done.

I mean, they were kind of necessary for the story and the way there were put in was handled as well as could be considering one of the actors was dead, and the other one was significantly older (and way more awesome).

Mind you, I still haven't watched my Blu-ray copy yet, so my memories are still from the single movie theatre experience I had...

Preferred Tarkin to Leia, he was noticeable yet the longer he was on screen the more I went along with it. Leia was almost entirely uncanny valley.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I didn't know Tarkin was CGI until it was pointed out to me afterwards. I thought he was rather well done when I looked back on it, same with Leia, though Leia was very obviously CGI because otherwise time machine.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Agreed. I had to double take on Tarkin, because I was SURE he was dead. Once I started looking closer it was a like, "Oh, they CGI'd him. That's cool."

And yes, CGI Leia was not-as-good as Tarkin, but I still dug it.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Even knowing about Tarkin, and looking at him for a good long time, I was convinced/didn't have a problem.

That couple of seconds of CGI Leia was still too long.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I think part of the problem with Leia is that most of us had basically just seen Carrie Fisher. So we know what she actually looks like.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    It also helps that Peter Cushing was a gaunt looking dude playing an inhuman monster. That kinda helps to limit uncanny valley effect. Worst part about Fisher's CGI bit was that they used it to try and push that whole 'hope' theme. 'Rebellions are built on hope' wasn't working earlier in the movie and it definitely wasn't working after a suicide mission that led to the loss of virtually every ship in the rebel fleet.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote: »
    It also helps that Peter Cushing was a gaunt looking dude playing an inhuman monster. That kinda helps to limit uncanny valley effect. Worst part about Fisher's CGI bit was that they used it to try and push that whole 'hope' theme. 'Rebellions are built on hope' wasn't working earlier in the movie and it definitely wasn't working after a suicide mission that led to the loss of virtually every ship in the rebel fleet.

Lighting may have been a factor. CGI Cushing was on the Death Star and in rooms with shadows, Leia had a big close up in a very bright shot.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    When we first saw Tarkin, he was with his back to the camera, his face just visible slightly out of focus, reflected in a window. I thought, that's how they'll do him, that's all we'll see, and that's absolutely fine.

Then he turned to the camera and my jaw hit the floor.

No, he wasn't 100% perfect, but he was 99.9% there, or near as dammit; and Guy Henry's actual performance was a spot-on tribute to the great Peter Cushing. And, to be honest, I thought Leia was just as well done, even if I'm not sure if I'd think that if we had more than just a couple of seconds of her.

I've come to realise that I don't care if a special effect isn't 100% perfect. Just like I don't care if there's a limitation on how a practical effect can be done in, hell, any old movie ever, not just Star Wars; I'm quite willing to forgive a slight imperfection in CGI as well if the overall effect is successfully achieved, and for me at least, Tarkin and Leia both did exactly that (both aided by the live actors' performances in both cases, which I think tends to go forgotten when they're brought up - although obviously, again, Guy Henry had a lot more to work with than Ingvild Deila did).

What I do like to see is discretion on the part of filmmakers as to whether a practical effect or a CGI one is going to work better for a particular shot/scene/character/background/vehicle/etc, and use the better method for the given situation.

I still love seeing Tarkin and Leia when I pop in the Blu-ray. Every time.

Jazz on
This discussion has been closed.