Options

Marvel [MCU] Infinity War trailer DOES put a smile on my face

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    He’s sometimes great, but not on team books.

I dunno, I got into comics with the launch of Marvel now and didn't really care for anything he was doing. Maybe, it's just due to the Marvel comics division being straight up neurotic and this wasn't his fault but story arcs would start and go nowhere and everyone seemed kinda flatly written in all of his titles, doing things mostly just because plot said so. Tbh, I think he's as prolific as he is just cause he's a good worker that churns stuff out on time based on my impression.

BUT ANYWAY MCU

He's super hit and miss for me. His work on Daredevil is iconic. His recent run on Guardians of the Galaxy was so bad I almost cancelled the title even though I love them more than almost anybody in comics. But his current Ironman/heart and Doom titles are great. I really hope the character development he's done for Doom sticks around.

EDIT: Fuck he created Alias. I forgot about that. The reason I started picking up the Infamous Iron Man (Doom) title is the same creative team and it's fucking gorgeous. Really anything that is Bendis/Maleev is an automatic pull for me.

Giggles_Funsworth on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Civil War 2 negates almost everything I have ever liked about Bendis.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I only read what bits of this leaked into Deadpool mostly. Which weren't great! But they used it to take Deadpool in a really interesting direction for a similar reason to a lot of the Civil War (MCU) discussion in here.

Nazi Cap asks Deadpool to:
    Kill Coulson and he does it. No questions asked. Now everybody hates him and he's having a run at being a villian again.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Smurph wrote: »
    I kinda hope Thor doesn't reforge Mewmew. Hasn't it only been gone for like 2 or 3 days in-universe?

The MCU is falling into the "few years ago" floating timeline the comics are in. Pretty soon when they do flashback clips to old movies the characters will have newer cars or phones than the first time.

I only read what bits of this leaked into Deadpool mostly. Which weren't great! But they used it to take Deadpool in a really interesting direction for a similar reason to a lot of the Civil War (MCU) discussion in here.

Kill Coulson and he does it. No questions asked. Now everybody hates him and he's having a run at being a villian again.

The thing with Civil War II...(mega spoilers for an event that, if you haven't read I suggest you don't)
    Ok, Captain Marvel has a Inhuman who can see the future, and after stopping some major events has Alpha Flight and the Ultimates, superheroes like Blue Marvel who beat the crap out of Hulk and an alternate universe Hulk at the same time, out busting muggers and shoplifters before they mug or shoplift.

Tony Stark says sure, use it for the big stuff (he specifically says that if Ulysses sees Thanos attacking, by all means preempt it), don't go busting teenagers who haven't actually broken the law yet. His rallying cry is that misusing the Inhuman got Warmachine killed and She Hulk in a coma... But that was fighting Thanos, who Stark specifically used as an example of how they SHOULD use Ulysses.

And at the end, they never even have the big throw down. Just as it comes to a head, Infinity and Eternity show up and take Ulysses away, everyone goes home and Stark and Danvers end up back in AA together.

Nobody ever pointed out that most of Ulysses visions only came true BECAUSE they acted to prevent them (Banner gets killed because Danvers brings an army to stop him from hulking out and killing THE ARMY SHE BROUGHT, Clash went back to evil because he was offended Ulysses and Peter Parker said he would, Miss America beat up the other Ultimates because of the same thing that got Banner killed) and only Steve Rogers (at the time a Red Skull puppet) ever pointed out that Stark's martyrs fell doing exactly what he said they SHOULD be doing, but merrily parroted the rallying cry anyway.

The only vaguely interesting part was the right wing news pundits who said everything would be better if Sam Wilson gave up the Captain America gig either back to Rogers or to USAgent, or maybe some other new guy, because Captain America is supposed to be white. And even that was just done so bad, and was only there to tie into Stark's profiling argument, which it didn't mesh with. But the three guys who were/had been Captain America, viewed in a vacuum together, made an interesting and rare look at how mantle passing works in a world where nobody ever stays dead.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Who are we hiring to train the lady with unique magic powers to use them better?

edit: Also do Doctor Strange and Scarlet Witch have some issues with each other in the comics? That sounds like a fun conversation.

Wanda refers to her talent as chaos magic. Strange has gone on record stating in all the realms he has studied that there is no such thing and he is concerned what she really does is rewrite reality

That was in a Bendis comic, and contradicted some things in his usual slapdash continuity fashion. I think they walked it back later somewhat.

Yep, probably because they remembered or were attended to the fact that Strange himself was using Chaos Magic for some time in his own series (back when he was wearing the glasses and had no moustache/beard).

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Smurph wrote: »
    I kinda hope Thor doesn't reforge Mewmew. Hasn't it only been gone for like 2 or 3 days in-universe?

The MCU is falling into the "few years ago" floating timeline the comics are in. Pretty soon when they do flashback clips to old movies the characters will have newer cars or phones than the first time.

The thing with Civil War II...(mega spoilers for an event that, if you haven't read I suggest you don't)
    Ok, Captain Marvel has a Inhuman who can see the future, and after stopping some major events has Alpha Flight and the Ultimates, superheroes like Blue Marvel who beat the crap out of Hulk and an alternate universe Hulk at the same time, out busting muggers and shoplifters before they mug or shoplift.

Tony Stark says sure, use it for the big stuff (he specifically says that if Ulysses sees Thanos attacking, by all means preempt it), don't go busting teenagers who haven't actually broken the law yet. His rallying cry is that misusing the Inhuman got Warmachine killed and She Hulk in a coma... But that was fighting Thanos, who Stark specifically used as an example of how they SHOULD use Ulysses.

And at the end, they never even have the big throw down. Just as it comes to a head, Infinity and Eternity show up and take Ulysses away, everyone goes home and Stark and Danvers end up back in AA together.

Nobody ever pointed out that most of Ulysses visions only came true BECAUSE they acted to prevent them (Banner gets killed because Danvers brings an army to stop him from hulking out and killing THE ARMY SHE BROUGHT, Clash went back to evil because he was offended Ulysses and Peter Parker said he would, Miss America beat up the other Ultimates because of the same thing that got Banner killed) and only Steve Rogers (at the time a Red Skull puppet) ever pointed out that Stark's martyrs fell doing exactly what he said they SHOULD be doing, but merrily parroted the rallying cry anyway.

The only vaguely interesting part was the right wing news pundits who said everything would be better if Sam Wilson gave up the Captain America gig either back to Rogers or to USAgent, or maybe some other new guy, because Captain America is supposed to be white. And even that was just done so bad, and was only there to tie into Stark's profiling argument, which it didn't mesh with. But the three guys who were/had been Captain America, viewed in a vacuum together, made an interesting and rare look at how mantle passing works in a world where nobody ever stays dead.

Is this your ideal version of the event? Cuz there's a few things that are definitely not right in there.
    1. Tony was always against using the dude's powers because they had no idea how they worked and if they were perfectly accurate. Which they weren't. He was a predictive algorithm that could be wrong or even actively manipulated. Both of which happened.
    2. There was definitely a big throwdown. Stark stole Ulysses and a bunch of people showed up to fight about it.
    3. Stark and Danvers didn't end the event in AA together, that happened way earlier. What happened at the end was She tried to arrest Miles Morales for future crimes, Tony came to stop her, and she nearly killed him and put him in a super coma.
    Your version's a bit better, but that's not what we got unfortunately.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Basically, Captain Marvel decided Habeus Corpus was for chumps, and Tony Stark doesn't know the difference between profiling and what is essentially anonymous tips. And then Captain Marvel Comic Book Killed Tony Stark and basically blamed him for it. And then at the end was a deus ex machina that Sophocles or Aristophanes would have called tired and overused.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Basically, Captain Marvel decided Habeus Corpus was for chumps, and Tony Stark doesn't know the difference between profiling and what is essentially anonymous tips. And then Captain Marvel Comic Book Killed Tony Stark and basically blamed him for it. And then at the end was a deus ex machina that Sophocles or Aristophanes would have called tired and overused.

All of that sounds gross.

When was the last good event? Or rather, the last event that justified all the hype?

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Mancingtom wrote: »

When was the last good event? Or rather, the last event that justified all the hype?

As the SE++ thread can attest, I am really not the person to ask. Also, it absolutely is gross. The reason why it wasn't the grossest thing Marvel has done in a long while (as opposed to just bad) is that the 2 succeeding events were exponentially worse.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2017

House of M? It has some grating flaws (Layla Miller magic plot macguffin), but everything else has been so bad by comparison it's a good event. Doomwar was great but it wasn't really an event, just a spinoff of the BP book.

(the current Metal event by DC is really good but one thing events never seem to do right is stick the landing)

edit: Yeah Secret War was good, and Annihilation was great.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Secret Wars 2

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I liked annihilation, but that was a long-ish time ago.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Secret Wars (the hickman one) was good; if you call Time Runs Out an event that was pretty great also (also hickman)

they've been kinda directionless following those, though

ed: I will say that I liked the Pleasant Hill story arc, but while it did cross over I don't think it really qualifies as an event

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    I liked annihilation, but that was a long-ish time ago.

Guardians of the Galaxy would not have happened without Annihilation.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    My worry is that eventually the MCU will be drawing from the last 5 years of comics and it can't ALL be Gwenpool.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    My worry is that eventually the MCU will be drawing from the last 5 years of comics and it can't ALL be Gwenpool.

It can and it WILL.

Unless they start doing Incursions.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I'd be fine with Squirrel Girl, Spiderwoman, Gwenpool, Laura Wolverine, Kate Bishop Hawkeye, Spidergwen, Ms Marvel movies/shows drawing from the last few years.

hmmm. turns out the best Marvel stuff after Secret Wars is all female? At least for me.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    I'd be fine with Squirrel Girl, Spiderwoman, Gwenpool, Laura Wolverine, Kate Bishop Hawkeye, Spidergwen, Ms Marvel movies/shows drawing from the last few years.

hmmm. turns out the best Marvel stuff after Secret Wars is all female? At least for me.

Same, this is about half my pull list.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    So I picked up phase one and two on Blu-Ray the other day because they were on sale and I don't actually own any of the movies and I'm five movies into rewatching them in order. Iron Man remains fun. The Incredible Hulk is probably the most solidly mediocre, with nothing being awful, but also nothing being particularly good. Iron Man 2 is better than I remember, but still has a gaping hole where the alcoholism subplot should be and I guess at some point everyone just shrugged and said OK Mickey just do whatever it's fine because honestly it's like he wandered in from an outpatients unit. It's not great. Thor still looks a bit weird with his bleached eyebrows and beard, but the movie is perfectly OK. You can do scenes without tilting the camera sometimes, Ken, it's OK.

The pick of the movies pre-Avengers for me is Cap. It has more heart than the others, more style, the best supporting cast, a better and more evocative score and the best ending.

• Options

For example at the end of the Fraction run I enjoyed Kate's story in LA more than Clint's. How good could be a fashionable Veronica Mars with a bow on her own as a TV show.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    My one critique of the first Cap movie is that they montage the fun, Nazi stomping part after he finally gets into gear.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    My one critique of the first Cap movie is that they montage the fun, Nazi stomping part after he finally gets into gear.

I thought there were too many death rays and not enough hot cap-carter fuckin'. But other than that it's my favorite of the first wave Marvels.

I feel like that montage just gave them space to do a flashback film. "Remember that time we fought Swarm? He was a Nazi...made out of bees!"

• Options
    edited December 2017

Sure, but it works a ton, it's fun and we just got through a scene of Cap stomping Nazis and destroying a Hydra base when he broke out the prisoners. It also works because they tie the montage into newsreels that people are watching back home, and sell the idea that he's becoming a legendary patriot. Better a montage than six action scenes all detailing the destruction of another Hydra base that, honestly, might be fun but aren't necessary for the movie.

Cap also has the best and most involving romance of any Marvel movie. The competition is abysmal, but still. Hayley Atwell in a leather jacket shooting Nazis with a tommy gun is a stirring sight.

Bogart on
  • Options

For example at the end of the Fraction run I enjoyed Kate's story in LA more than Clint's. How good could be a fashionable Veronica Mars with a bow on her own as a TV show.

She's still got an ongoing series and it's great! Clint even just showed up but it's been a long time!

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    I love Cap 1; I was disappointed that they dropped him in the ice at the end because I'd kill for more WW2 adventures.

On the other hand I think Winter Soldier is probably the best MCU film (Top 3 certainly) so I'm conflicted on the issue.

In an ideal world someone would park a dump truck of money on Joe Johnston's lawn and get him to make more WW2 superhero movies.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    The second part of the movie didn't have enough actual nazi stomping instead of funny looking Hydra dudes.

• Options
    Actual Nazis rather than Hydra Nazis are in short supply in the whole movie, I think. That's OK. They sieg heil with two arms instead of one, which makes them double Nazis.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Doctor Strange or Guardians 1 is probably my favorite, but I find all of the MCU films pretty enjoyable.

I even like Thor 2

• Options
    I was talking just pre-Avengers movies. Across the whole three phases I dunno what my favourite would be.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    God, I would say Winter Solider or first Guardians are best, but I talk about and have watched Civil War the most, so I think it wins for me. Spider-Man's intro, the Cap and Tony fight, Black Panther straight out the gate whooping ass, the whole airport fight. Might be a symptom of most MCU villains being pretty uninteresting, whereas the stakes are higher in a hero vs hero fight.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I was talking just pre-Avengers movies. Across the whole three phases I dunno what my favourite would be.

For me

1. Civil War
    2. Guardians of the Galaxy
    3. Winter Soldier
    4. Dr Strange
    5. Avengers 1

I have a feeling the Russo Bros are gonna do it again.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    God, I would say Winter Solider or first Guardians are best, but I talk about and have watched Civil War the most, so I think it wins for me. Spider-Man's intro, the Cap and Tony fight, Black Panther straight out the gate whooping ass, the whole airport fight. Might be a symptom of most MCU villains being pretty uninteresting, whereas the stakes are higher in a hero vs hero fight.

I felt like Zemo was a nice change of pace, even if a few of the things he manages are a bit... improbable.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular

For me that'd include Ewing's Ultimates (60% female IIRC) and Coates Black Panther (and Black Panther is like 30% awesome for Shuri by herself.) (and of course Laura, Kate etc. but you already mentioned those). So not all female, but all with a very strong female presence at the least.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Some previews of the new Lego sets coming based on the Black Panther movie are out, and apparently the sets are available for preorder.

Warning: potential spoilers at the link. Though maybe not. Though possibly.
    https://www.brothers-brick.com/2017/12/04/black-panther-sets-now-available-pre-order-news/

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Some previews of the new Lego sets coming based on the Black Panther movie are out, and apparently the sets are available for preorder.

Warning: potential spoilers at the link. Though maybe not. Though possibly.
    https://www.brothers-brick.com/2017/12/04/black-panther-sets-now-available-pre-order-news/

Ok I neeeed that giant Rhino

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Some rad Ragnarok concept art up on them tweeters

really like that alternate costume for Loki. Also this Hela...
    DQQQogoWkAAjcjs.jpg

is lookin' real crispy. Think that's meant to be post credits, confirming she survived?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I had an idea that they could get more heroes on screen if before or after movies they did the whole What If comic stuff, but in the context of the MCU stuff.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    I'm still sure that Thanos is probably going to be the main character in Infinity War.

A lot of people are just going to be cameo/2 lines max.

Except, I think, Strange, BP, Cap, Stark, and Thor.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Some rad Ragnarok concept art up on them tweeters

really like that alternate costume for Loki. Also this Hela...
    DQQQogoWkAAjcjs.jpg

is lookin' real crispy. Think that's meant to be post credits, confirming she survived?

I hope so, just because of
    how badass it would be to take the biggest hit in MCU history and live. If now somewhat depowered with Asgard exploded.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    I think it would also be pretty sweet if Thanos was doing all this to impress Hela. MCU Hela is totally believable as a love interest for that world ending nutbar.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.