As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Russia/Trump investigation: Mueller has convened a grand jury

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    If the senate wasn't willing to confirm Cornyn for FBI director, they aren't going to confirm Cruz for AG.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Ted Cruz is a US senator. Why the hell would he want to downgrade to being a replacement attorney general?

Like, what are they even thinking floating his name as a possibility? I can only assume someone's trying to publicly pressure Sessions by naming people he hates as replacements.*

*I don't have proof that Sessions specifically hates Cruz, but everyone who's ever met Cruz hates Cruz, even Republicans. So it seems like a safe bet.

Probably they are just tossing names around. It's just rumours and bullshit.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    they have been talking about replacing one position or another basically every week since January. only a couple have actually happened.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Trump can promise just about anything, it's not like he'll feel like he has to deliver on said promise. So sure he could promise Ted Cruz a SCOTUS seat.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Trump can promise just about anything, it's not like he'll feel like he has to deliver on said promise. So sure he could promise Ted Cruz a SCOTUS seat.

Sorry, I should clarify: The Senate is not going to give Cruz a SCOTUS seat.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Removing Cruz from the Senate seems idiotic. It would derail the whole agenda while waiting for a replacement, and risk a seat that's filled by a special election

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Texas is not voting for a dem senator

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    Ted Cruz is a US senator. Why the hell would he want to downgrade to being a replacement attorney general?

Like, what are they even thinking floating his name as a possibility? I can only assume someone's trying to publicly pressure Sessions by naming people he hates as replacements.*

*I don't have proof that Sessions specifically hates Cruz, but everyone who's ever met Cruz hates Cruz, even Republicans. So it seems like a safe bet.

Trump could always promise a seat on the SCOTUS if one opened up.

They aren't going to put Cruz on SCOTUS.

like that will stop trump from promising it

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Generating rumors about who might lose a job or get a job or switch jobs is like the one thing Trump is good at (if you don't count 'creating companies doomed for abject failure' as a thing you can be good at).

Remember when he had both of his last two picks for SCOTUS leave their homes to head for DC just so that he could keep everyone guessing right up until the Big Reveal Moment?

Trump loves being a reality TV star and continues trying to treat being President as a reality show.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Generating rumors about who might lose a job or get a job or switch jobs is like the one thing Trump is good at (if you don't count 'creating companies doomed for abject failure' as a thing you can be good at).

Remember when he had both of his last two picks for SCOTUS leave their homes to head for DC just so that he could keep everyone guessing right up until the Big Reveal Moment?

Trump loves being a reality TV star and continues trying to treat being President as a reality show.

Remember, Axios (where most of these court intrigue stories that aren't from Maggie Haberman at the NYT) was explicitly created by ex-politico people with the mission statement “Media is broken—and too often a scam.”

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    e: this isn't on topic for this thread

Oghulk on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Attributing the rumors to a deliberate strategy by Trump is iffy at best imo. Maybe occasionally but it's mostly just rumour-mongering by Axios or the like.

The thing is, these are almost certainly things people have actually said but that doesn't mean they are going there.

When you hear a story that they are thinking of charging Clinton to distract from the Russia probe or that someone said they should or whatever, those are probably true. True in that someone said that shit in a meeting or in the hall or something. That doesn't mean it's going anywhere. In the same way rumours about Spicer or Priebus or Sessions being let go or Cruz or Guilliani are getting hired or something are almost certainly based on Trump actually literally muttering about that or complaining about them or suggesting the idea or whatever. But that doesn't mean he's gonna actually do anything about it or won't be talked out of it.

I think pretty much any of the leaks you see printed are true, it's just that they are what people are talking about not what people are doing or even planning to do.

So when it comes to this specific stuff, yeah, I bet pretty strongly that Trump is pissed at Sessions because Sessions isn't burying these stories and killing this investigation and is ranting about getting rid of him. But that doesn't mean he's gonna do it.

shryke on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

The whole administration is literally The Apprentice.

A bunch of people who are mentally, psychologically, or publicly, damaged, such that it prevents them from ascending under normal circumstances, debasing themselves to grovel before an inept megalomaniac who is a bigger failure on all fronts than they are, yet is a ratings draw because of the shit show he is. Forced to sell his garbage, that he can't sell on his own, and no one even wants, and then required to sit there while he publicly berates each one and questions their value, when they inevitably fail to sell his worthless shit. All in the hopes they aren't the ones kicked to the curb so that in the off chance the job he gives them isn't a joke, or part of a division about to collapse anyway, they can get their careers back on track; or at the very least have some connection to the goals they have failed to obtain on their own.

Given there is a non-zero chance his running in the first place was more about contract negotiations than actually giving a shit about the country or the governance of it; when Russia came calling, treason probably never even entered his thick skull. He probably simply thought that anything he got from them would give him more publicity to use to get a better contract with NBC, so he could keep making money and keep having a dim spotlight on him. I wouldn't be surprised if he is legitimately confused about all the investigations and accusations, because he still likely has zero grasp on what he actually did, and what it actually meant, means, and will continue to mean, for the actual real world, that he clearly has zero comprehension of.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Unrecuse yourself and fire Mueller and I'll be your friend again.

You're insane. I assume you think this would result in a Nixonian type collapse and force the hand of Republicans to actually do something.

I currently don't see any evidence that Sessions doing that would result in anything but applause from Trumps base; with Fox News, Breitbart, etc, going so deep on the "Sessions is a savior of this unfairly treated administration", that we would never see the light of day again. Congressional Republicans would latch themselves onto that narrative in a heartbeat.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Unrecuse yourself and fire Mueller and I'll be your friend again.

You're insane. I assume you think this would result in a Nixonian type collapse and force the hand of Republicans to actually do something.

No, that's what he was implying Trump would tell Sessions. Unrecuse yourself, fire Mueller, and we cool.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Marathon wrote: »
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    Is anybody actually saying Trump won because of Russia?

Yes. Because it's true. His campaign coordinated with Russian hacking efforts that helped push him over the top in key states in several ways.

There are a thousand things that all contributed to Hillary losing, Trump working with Russia to focus their message and to disrupt voting is certainly one of them and isn't exactly a fringe belief.

Also, we still have no idea if Russia actually hacked the vote itself in key states via electronic voting machines because DHS refuses to do a forensic analysis of any of them (because they have no evidence they were hacked (because they haven't done a forensic analysis of the machines)).

Giggles_Funsworth on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The reason no one will do an analysis of the machines is because no one wants to know. Either they weren't and nbd. Or they were and we don't want to know that.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    The reason no one will do an analysis of the machines is because no one wants to know. Either they weren't and nbd. Or they were and we don't want to know that.

Is this a partisan thing, or a survival-of-the-Republic thing?

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I'm guessing, but I believe the guy in charge of the agency that is supposed to answer questions like that is a Trump appointee.

Which makes me fairly confident that it's a partisan thing.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

Label wrote: »
    I'm guessing, but I believe the guy in charge of the agency that is supposed to answer questions like that is a Trump appointee.

both

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »

Label wrote: »

both

The republic would be a lot better off if we stopped using them. Ignorance doesn't fix the ongoing theft of our democratic notions.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    I guess Fox News conveniently forgot there is no longer a Hillary investigation.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

Pressuring Sessions to stay in line (frightened he'll go to Mueller?) and now shots fired at the current FBI chief. Reads like he's about to do something.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular

Pressuring Sessions to stay in line (frightened he'll go to Mueller?) and now shots fired at the current FBI chief. Reads like he's about to do something.

Whatever it is it's gonna be stupid as hell.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular

I am terrified that what he's about to do is distract us all from today's health care vote.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ these are all people ostensibly on his side. He is fucking hopeless

• Options
    Oh I missed one

I don't think Sessions will last the week

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Yeah it's barely even Tuesday and he's already getting particularly ugly.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    It will never not be terrifying that not only does the President of the United States watch Fox News but also believes everything it says.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I wonder if Sessions just quietly takes this treatment or if he goes over to the Oval Office and explains this stuff.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I would say it doesn't make sense if he isn't seriously thinking about firing Sessions, but Trump doesn't really think seriously about things and more just has tantrums so who knows.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I wonder if Sessions just quietly takes this treatment or if he goes over to the Oval Office and explains this stuff.

He quietly takes it. They're all just fucking taking it.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    I would say it doesn't make sense if he isn't seriously thinking about firing Sessions, but Trump doesn't really think seriously about things and more just has tantrums so who knows.

The thing is even if he is not serious, Sessions and the FBI director don't know that (and would they let it slide if Trump made a fake apology? They must know his MO by now) so Trump is antagonizing those allies for no reason. All Mueller has to do is record the tweets and eat some popcorn while Trump does his work for him.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

He quietly takes it. They're all just fucking taking it.

They take it until they break. What's going to hurt Trump is when they do that under the radar, like what the leakers in his admin are doing. The question is: what are their breaking points, and will Trump realize what he's doing before it's too late or just double down because he finds it fun/makes him feel in control?

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Producer for the Hugh Hewitt show

So the Communications Director is now openly stating it. This seems like a more coordinated effort to get Sessions to quit.

Also this morning, Sarah Sanders said the President is "disappointed" in Sessions.

CBS News reporter

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Is this going to be a replay of the Comey firing except the GOP will be more prepared to cover for it?

An official heavily criticized by Democrats is fired for obviously illegitimate political reasons and then they will pretend to be surprised because Democrats should be happy that they guy they criticized was fired?

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Sessions serves at the pleasure of the President.

The urge to start using some of the alt-Right's terms for people they disagree with is pretty strong right now.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    If there is any cleverness remaining in the WH, Sessions will get fired today.

Right about 2pm.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I will never get used to The President of the United States using Twitter. Never gonna happen.

This discussion has been closed.