As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] old thread is old

• Options
    hushhush Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Do you have any recommendations? For example do most people reroll the primary damage stat to try to drive it higher? Do most people try to add socket slots?

sockets are pretty critical on end game gear - take what you can get early on, but it kind of doesn't matter if you're constantly upgrading. everything else really depends on how something is rolled - there's definitely a key command or button you can hold down to see the range that an item can hit to see where you stand - no idea what it is on console, sorry.

I would say you are more often going to be rerolling the primary stats than the secondary ones (there are specific items/builds that want specific secondaries) - that's where most dps/survivability is gained.

hush on
    This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • Options
    Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    For weapons, a socket is basically the #1 thing you can add to improve it. To the extent that there is a fairly rare consumable that adds a socket to a weapon as a bonus to encourage/permit the use of other rerolls.

Generally, for weapons: socket, primary stat, damage%, attack speed% (or something)

Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • Options
    Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    Re: rerolling your gold radius: There are 'primary' stats (int, vitality, crit, ability or elemental damage bonuses...) and 'secondary' stats (gold pickup radius, gold find, single resistances...). Normally, a legendary or set item will have 4 primary stats and 2 secondary stats. Rerolling a stat with the enchant option will always give you another stat from the same pool. Enchanting primary stats into more useful primary stats is almost always correct.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    What are the best stats to reroll on my personal set gear? I'm worried that I already screwed it up. :( The two necro pieces I just got had +2 radius on gold pickups and I was like hey I don't care about that at all, and rerolled, and it only gave me more gold-related things. Had no idea. One of them gave me the choice of +2 radius, +2 radius, or ignore durability loss. The other gave me the choice of +2 radius, +1 radius, or 33% more gold.
    Stats come in two categories, I'm not sure if they have an official name so let's call them "primary" and "secondary". The "primary" group contains effects like: main stat, vitality, crit % chance, crit damage, sockets, resistance to all elements, etc. These are typically Very Potent stats that very directly contribute to damage or survivability. The "secondary" group contains stuff like +XP per kill, +gold pickup radius, resistance to one specific element, etc.

In most cases, you will want to reroll something from the "primary" category, because that will contribute the most to your damage/survivability. Some very specific item setups might benefit from a higher thorns damage, or gold pickup radius, or whatever else, in which case sure, you will want to reroll a secondary category stat.

I'm not sure how to access it on the Switch (haven't checked yet), but when you select a stat at the enchanting station, you should be able to click a thing that will show you the pool of all possible stats that you will draw from when you replace the stat - as well as their numerical ranges. There are also some tricky gotchas, like the fact that certain stats can only appear on certain item slots (but the oh ho ho, there's always some legendary that sits in a dfferent item slot but still has the ability to roll that stat, so if you need to max a stat out for a build you might need to hunt down that item), and the fact that - if I remember correctly - an item that has one kind of element resistance (whether all or one specific element) in one stat slot will not be able to reroll another stat slot into element resistance.
    Also what are the best candidates for Kunai's Cube powers? What about that ring I have that makes circles on the ground that buff damage? Then I wouldn't have to wear it or saddle my companion with it, it's not max level or anything. Is the cube version of the power identical to the item, so if the item's on the lower end of its possibilities should I not bother?
    At the start, you will probably just be equipping whatever you have on hand. Having a bonus effect is probably better than NOT having one, even if it doesn't really synergize with your build. Once you have a good catalog of item powers in there, it's really good to equip a legendary power that has a numerical range, because cubing it will always give you a version of the power that's maxed out. For example, the Mask of Jeram says: "Pets deal X% increased damage. (Witch Doctor Only) [X in the range 150 - 200]%". If you find a Mask of Jeram that happened to roll 157%, that's not ideal - but if you cube it, that power is guaranteed to be "Pets deal 200% increased damage. (Witch Doctor Only)". So if you get a legendary with a good power but a low roll, that is a prime candidate for cubing.

Also, a lot of builds basically say "you need these two weapons, wear the one with the best stats and cube the other one".

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Depends on the item and the purpose. Most of the time, I'm hunting for sockets. Occasionally, if I'm trying to get items for an alt (classic twinking), I'll root around for Reduced Level Requirement. And then there are some times (when an item is already close to perfect), I'll aim for crit chance and/or crit damage.

Then again, I'm not a power user, so I'm not sure if that's good advice or not.

I saw a recipe in Kanai's Cube to remove level requirements entirely though, is that not cost effective?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Depends on the item and the purpose. Most of the time, I'm hunting for sockets. Occasionally, if I'm trying to get items for an alt (classic twinking), I'll root around for Reduced Level Requirement. And then there are some times (when an item is already close to perfect), I'll aim for crit chance and/or crit damage.

I saw a recipe in Kanai's Cube to remove level requirements entirely though, is that not cost effective?

The item you need to use that recipe is a level 25 Gem of Ease. Which you get from running Greater Rifts, and level up by completing higher difficulty Greater Rifts. On some of my characters, it's easier finding (and beating the stuffing out of) a Gilded Goblin than it is running Greater Rifts in the allotted time.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Yep it is not.

Depending on your set build you either want to go critical damage, critical rate, or cooldown. I think most necro builds need cooldown reduction but post here what build you are looking at. Icey Veins (sp) is a good site to find builds and what gear/rolls you should be focusing on.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    https://kotaku.com/sources-blizzard-pulled-diablo-4-announcement-from-bli-1830232246
    When Blizzard’s sole Diablo announcement at this year’s BlizzCon turned out to be a game for phones, it set off a firestorm of angry reactions from fans who had hoped for a new Diablo on PC. As it turns out, Kotaku has learned, Blizzard had originally planned to tease Diablo 4, but pulled those plans at the last minute.

The original plan for BlizzCon 2018, according to two people familiar with Blizzard’s plans, was for Blizzard to announce the mobile game Diablo Immortal and then end on a video in which company co-founder Allen Adham told the audience that a proper Diablo 4 was in development but not ready to show just yet. Instead, at last Friday’s keynote, Blizzard revealed Diablo Immortal to a quiet, uncomfortable crowd and then ended the show

I saw this subplot leak out over the weekend. One of the theories was that they feared it would overshadow / hurt the acceptance of Immortal....which does sound plausible.

It also sounds like the worry of .... "suits".

For myself, I fully believe there's a D4 in preparation, BUT....I am highly concerned they still can't say that and keep saying Diablo related products. That does not instill a degree of confidence in me for a normal Diablo experience and has me thinking of it being designed more as a GaaS (Games as a Service).

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    https://kotaku.com/sources-blizzard-pulled-diablo-4-announcement-from-bli-1830232246
    When Blizzard’s sole Diablo announcement at this year’s BlizzCon turned out to be a game for phones, it set off a firestorm of angry reactions from fans who had hoped for a new Diablo on PC. As it turns out, Kotaku has learned, Blizzard had originally planned to tease Diablo 4, but pulled those plans at the last minute.

The original plan for BlizzCon 2018, according to two people familiar with Blizzard’s plans, was for Blizzard to announce the mobile game Diablo Immortal and then end on a video in which company co-founder Allen Adham told the audience that a proper Diablo 4 was in development but not ready to show just yet. Instead, at last Friday’s keynote, Blizzard revealed Diablo Immortal to a quiet, uncomfortable crowd and then ended the show

Ha, Blizz shot themselves in the foot something fierce. (Schreier is highly unlikely to have run this without solid sourcing, he's one of the better actual reporter games folk)
    This is baffling to me.

Like, I will go on record as being... I'll be polite and say "very put off" by the intensity of the fan reaction to Diablo Immortal, but also I'm stunned by how poorly Blizzard announced it. I saw some articles with headlines that Blizzard is very surprised by the negative fan reaction? If that's true, then they are the dumbest dummies in the entire world. But also, I kind of don't believe it, because being surprised means that they never once went to r/Diablo, and if that's true then their market research department needs to be fired immediately.

They 100% should have announced Immortal as the very first thing in the lineup. People would still have been excited (instead of being bored by no major announcements), and if the audience reacted to the announcement with silence, well hey here's a really pretty Overwatch cinematic, and let's giggle at the poor Hearthstone guy's mic not working or whatever, here's Saurfang y'all love Saurfang, anyway see you next year! ...But actually, before we go, check this shit out *screen says "D4", entire audience faints* WE LOVE YOU GOOD NIGHT

Fucking, hire me, Blizzard.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    I find diablofans fairly decent for premade builds, if that's your interest. It's a general up/downvote system that you can search through for class/season/hardcore/etc. And most builds supply stat priority, and the bigger content creators will also have a link to a youtube video demonstrating the build.

• Options
    Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    As far as what stats are best, a super quick general-case list to get you started: Sockets are essential on rings and amulets. For damage: Critical chance and damage are top tier, then your primary stat, then relevant elemental or skill damage %. For defenses: vitality is top, life % and resist all are good, armor a little less so. Regen stats are always worse than damage or defense. Drop them whenever possible.

Airking850 on
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

Yep it is not.

Depending on your set build you either want to go critical damage, critical rate, or cooldown. I think most necro builds need cooldown reduction but post here what build you are looking at. Icey Veins (sp) is a good site to find builds and what gear/rolls you should be focusing on.

I don't really have a particular build yet. I like minions so I have skeletons and mages and a golem. And I'm getting the class set that makes mages buff you thousands of percent.

Oh yeah, by the way, can those class set items drop from anywhere else, they're not just a season gift right? Or are they just super rare any other way. Considering I might've wasted some stat rerolls.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

Yep it is not.

I don't really have a particular build yet. I like minions so I have skeletons and mages and a golem. And I'm getting the class set that makes mages buff you thousands of percent.

Oh yeah, by the way, can those class set items drop from anywhere else, they're not just a season gift right? Or are they just super rare any other way. Considering I might've wasted some stat rerolls.

Yes, the sets can drop anywhere. They're a little rare, but as you get into the deeper difficulties you'll see them more and more.
    You haven't ruined anything super unique, odds are you'll get another one.

• Options
    Also there's a cube recipe that'll let you reroll one set piece into another piece of the same set (provided it's a set with more than 2 pieces). So if you needed a helm, and got an extra set of legs, you could try converting it over and over until you get the helm.

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

Ha, Blizz shot themselves in the foot something fierce. (Schreier is highly unlikely to have run this without solid sourcing, he's one of the better actual reporter games folk)
    This is baffling to me.

Like, I will go on record as being... I'll be polite and say "very put off" by the intensity of the fan reaction to Diablo Immortal, but also I'm stunned by how poorly Blizzard announced it. I saw some articles with headlines that Blizzard is very surprised by the negative fan reaction? If that's true, then they are the dumbest dummies in the entire world. But also, I kind of don't believe it, because being surprised means that they never once went to r/Diablo, and if that's true then their market research department needs to be fired immediately.

They 100% should have announced Immortal as the very first thing in the lineup. People would still have been excited (instead of being bored by no major announcements), and if the audience reacted to the announcement with silence, well hey here's a really pretty Overwatch cinematic, and let's giggle at the poor Hearthstone guy's mic not working or whatever, here's Saurfang y'all love Saurfang, anyway see you next year! ...But actually, before we go, check this shit out *screen says "D4", entire audience faints* WE LOVE YOU GOOD NIGHT"

Fucking, hire me, Blizzard.

Blizzard saw the horrible horrible consequences to mentioning Diablo 4, IN ANY CAPACITY, at this years Blizcon. Expolding heads and hysterical pregnancies was something they couldn't deal with.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

That is one of the less useful recipes, as it's only likely to be helpful leveling a low level character and characters don't tend to stay low level for long. Also, if you're leveling a new character it's likely to be nearly as fast to ask for a quick power level as it is to remove a level requirement.
    There might be some edge cases where you want a high level piece of gear on a low level character, maybe if you're farming for a legendary that drops at a low level or something, but generally, that one's not worth it.

• Options
    Wow, speak of the devil, I just got the scoundrel's unique that gives him all skills.

Is that good enough I should probably run with him now? Throughout the story I went with each new follower as they joined, and stayed with the enchantress. But for a necromancer I'm sure the templar would be best, another melee guy to take the heat off you.

• Options
    UncleSporky I'm reliving my early Diablo 3 RoS experiences vicariously through you, so don't ever stop exploring itemization and getting new loot damnit
    I can't live these experiences again personally, so I have to do them like this

• Options
    Wow, speak of the devil, I just got the scoundrel's unique that gives him all skills.

Is that good enough I should probably run with him now? Throughout the story I went with each new follower as they joined, and stayed with the enchantress. But for a necromancer I'm sure the templar would be best, another melee guy to take the heat off you.

Dealers choice!

Followers are very much 'what you have available' type thing. Some people prefer enchantress because she supplies a lot of CC, some people like scoundrel for offensive buffs, and templar has some use for defensive stuff.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Mostly comes down to what you like. In late-late-late game the Templar tends to be who everyone runs with because his skills remain relevant for the longest, but it's not a huge difference unless you're ultra-minmaxing. The relics you're really hoping to get are the ones that grant invulnerability to your follower.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    yeah you pretty much end up needing the invulnerability relic on higher torments because otherwise your follower just gets 1-shot all the time

the rest of their stats end up largely irrelevant so most endgame loadouts just give them legendaries that produce effects which can help you out (eg. Unity, Oculus Ring, Thunderfury, The Ess of Johan)

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    I actually find it easiest to just use the follower who uses the same stat as you, because almost all the gear drops you get will have your main stat on them. Intelligence isn't going to help your Templar, while the Enchantress will get damage bonuses from it. You will very very occasionally get gear that's intended for other character classes (with a different main stat), but it's not a high enough rate to gear up your follower.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Generally i go templar 99% of the time but enchantress does have some okay buffs

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Also gear with cooldown reduction is good to give to your followers, the do benefit from it to a certain extent.

Edit: and also weapons/gear that has crowd control effects are super good to have on followers

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Aaaaand I just killed my first rainbow goblin and I'm in Whimsydale.

That sure is something.

I hope it's safe to port to town to sell this loot...

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Aaaaand I just killed my first rainbow goblin and I'm in Whimsydale.

That sure is something.

I hope it's safe to port to town to sell this loot...

Yep! The Whimsydale portal will stick around as long as you're in your current game.

• Options
    Also note that there is:
    - one set of advice for when you're just leveling (which is: do whatever is fun to you, it's all good)
    - another set of advice for when you hit 70 for the first time (stuff like "see if you can craft some placeholder armor sets at the blacksmith, reroll some stats on rares to maybe squeeze another difficulty level our of your gear") (this is only relevant for like 30 minutes at most)
    - another set of advice for when you're assembling your build, and
    - another set of advice for when you've got all the items, they're all ancients, you've got your legendary gems maxed out, and now you're trying to squeeze an extra 0.1% of performance out.

While you're leveling and when you're starting to gear out, I think any follower is fine. Use the one with the same main stat as you, then use whoever gets the "can't die" item first (provided you can gear them otherwise), then you can worry about which one gives you the best skills.

• Options
    Got a Puzzle ring inside too!!!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

If no one told you yet, you can use that on its own in Kanai's Cube to open a portal to The Vault.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    I ended up using Enchantress a lot because 3 or 4 of her abilities could be some form of cc which worked out well with my DH who had increased damage against cc'd enemies in one of his builds...it's been a while so I can't remember which.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    3clipse wrote: »

If no one told you yet, you can use that on its own in Kanai's Cube to open a portal to The Vault.

Yeah I read that. But it sounds like a good effect to have too.

• Options

Once you find a better replacement, then you can use it for the vault!

(the vault gives you a lot of free $$$ and a legendary gem you can only get there)

• Options
    Dronus86 wrote: »
    UncleSporky I'm reliving my early Diablo 3 RoS experiences vicariously through you, so don't ever stop exploring itemization and getting new loot damnit

I just hope I'm not being too annoying with tons of questions and stuff. Dominating the thread with things everyone already knows about.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

That is one of the less useful recipes, as it's only likely to be helpful leveling a low level character and characters don't tend to stay low level for long. Also, if you're leveling a new character it's likely to be nearly as fast to ask for a quick power level as it is to remove a level requirement.
    There might be some edge cases where you want a high level piece of gear on a low level character, maybe if you're farming for a legendary that drops at a low level or something, but generally, that one's not worth it.

Yeah, if you go back to the original post he was referring to (namely, my post), I specifically mention that the reduced level requirement thing is only if I'm looking for gear for a new alt (i.e. classic twinking). And I guess maybe I'm one of those "edge cases" that you mention, since I hate the idea of being power leveled (even though I'm perfectly fine doing it for other people).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Watching you discover the game is maybe the most fun I've had with Diablo in years.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

I just hope I'm not being too annoying with tons of questions and stuff. Dominating the thread with things everyone already knows about.

I'll probably be starting D3 for the first time in the near future one I clear up a couple games I'm on now, so I've been enjoying reading most of this!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Yeah, you aren't being annoying, us old dying veterans are loving it.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular

(the vault gives you a lot of free $$$ and a legendary gem you can only get there)

And if you do it later when you can do it on a higher difficulty level you end up with a lot more gold than running it on Hard or whatever.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Mirkel wrote: »

And if you do it later when you can do it on a higher difficulty level you end up with a lot more gold than running it on Hard or whatever.

I'd save it for at least a torment 1 or higher difficulty level, once you feel comfortable/capable of doing those.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options

Honestly helping you out and giving you tips is injecting some positivity in the midst of some pretty depressing BS