Options

[Movies]: Watch the Final Cut version. Paddington still better.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Every October I attempt to watch and review 31 horror movies in 31 days, in a crazy endeavor I call Killtoberfest. Believe it or not, this year will be the 5th year in a row I have done this. Over the last four years, two things have happened: my reviews have gotten better (or at least longer), and it's become harder and harder to find good horror movies I haven't seen yet.

That's why I'm turning to you for suggestions! New, old, classic, obscure, comedic, English, foreign--if it's a movie and it's horror and it's good, I will consider watching and reviewing it this year. (If it's bad but worth watching, I might take that, too.)

Three things to keep in mind. First, I may have already reviewed your suggestion, so be sure to check it against this list of existing reviews. Second, every year I try to do an entire franchise in a row (thus far: Hellraiser, Scream, Nosferatu, and Paranormal Activity; this year I'm tackling the Exorcist franchise), but I try and avoid watching films from other franchises. So I'm probably not watching, say, Nightmare on Elm Street 4. Third, I'm planning on gradually reviewing every movie based on a Stephen King story over the next few years, so those are already on my radar.

Anyway! I have always had a tremendous appreciation for the movie thread's support over the years, and I thank you for that. So please, suggest away, and hopefully your suggestion will be one out of 31 in Killtoberfest 5: Five'll Get You Dead.

How about one of the House films starring vincent price?

Either House of Usher or House on Haunted Hill.

The House franchise isn't bad, but it goes downhill after he hooks up with Cuddy.

Should have ended there

I know everyone says it but it's true

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Mutant\Forbidden World is also great b movie horror fun.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I'm gonna get Aes to watch From Beyond for, if nothing else, the impressive The Thing level practical effects.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Every October I attempt to watch and review 31 horror movies in 31 days, in a crazy endeavor I call Killtoberfest. Believe it or not, this year will be the 5th year in a row I have done this. Over the last four years, two things have happened: my reviews have gotten better (or at least longer), and it's become harder and harder to find good horror movies I haven't seen yet.

That's why I'm turning to you for suggestions! New, old, classic, obscure, comedic, English, foreign--if it's a movie and it's horror and it's good, I will consider watching and reviewing it this year. (If it's bad but worth watching, I might take that, too.)

Three things to keep in mind. First, I may have already reviewed your suggestion, so be sure to check it against this list of existing reviews. Second, every year I try to do an entire franchise in a row (thus far: Hellraiser, Scream, Nosferatu, and Paranormal Activity; this year I'm tackling the Exorcist franchise), but I try and avoid watching films from other franchises. So I'm probably not watching, say, Nightmare on Elm Street 4. Third, I'm planning on gradually reviewing every movie based on a Stephen King story over the next few years, so those are already on my radar.

Anyway! I have always had a tremendous appreciation for the movie thread's support over the years, and I thank you for that. So please, suggest away, and hopefully your suggestion will be one out of 31 in Killtoberfest 5: Five'll Get You Dead.

How about one of the House films starring vincent price?

Either House of Usher or House on Haunted Hill.

The House franchise isn't bad, but it goes downhill after he hooks up with Cuddy.

you know the worst thing about this joke?

is that i deleted a House joke before making my post.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    @Astaereth Do you use Shudder?

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    @Astaereth might not count since it is more of a comedy with setting that could be a horror but Dave Made as Maze was excellent and could use some more chatter in the thread. I'll be seeing soon The Lure and Suspiria can't vouch for them yet but more names to throw in the hat.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dave Made a Maze was a lot of fun and is worth watching, but I wouldn't call it a horror movie. I can totally see where you're coming from though.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Movies mentioned that were already on my list for this year: Don't Look Now (one of my favorites and I'm excited to write a super in depth review), From Beyond, and Dave Made a Maze (which did look interesting when I was searching IMDB for this year's horror movies).

Note though that I always pick more than 31 and decide mostly based on what I feel like watching at any given moment, so only about 10 of my picks are set in stone; the rest are grab-bag.

Lots of great suggestions so far guys! Y'all are awesome. Always happy to have more. :)

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    @Astaereth

I would like to see you review The Devils (1971) but I'm not sure it's actually possible to obtain it's original, UK X rated cut.

If you're region free, the U.K. X certificate version was released on region 2 DVD from the BFI in a really nice 2 disc set: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Devils-Special-DVD-Oliver-Reed/dp/B0065N0SN0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506217179&sr=8-1&keywords=The+devils

Since Warner Bros. still refuses to allow it to be released a) in the US, b) in HD, or c) with the additional scenes found in 2002, it's the best you're going to get for the time being.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    @Astaereth How have you not watched The Blob for killtoberfest yet?

• Options
    @Astaereth

I've heard interesting reviews of The Devil's Candy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    @Astaereth

Oooh what about invasion of the body snatchers? Either one. Or both to compare and contrast?

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    @Astaereth

The Old Dark House is a fun, kind of overlooked James Whale horror movie that kind of feels like a precursor to the Addams Family.

Coherence is a cool kind of mindfucky suspense/thriller that's the kind of movie you sort of have to watch without knowing much about going in.

Housebound is a kiwi horror/comedy sendup of recent trends in haunted house movies that I really enjoyed.

Cure is a Japanese paranormal horror in the same sort of doomish, collapse-of-society vein as Pulse, which I just now noticed also isn't on the list of already reviewed movies.

edit: Oh shit! Quatermass, too! Pretty much all of the Quatermass movies are worth watching, but particularly the third one, Quatermass and the Pit. They're each pretty standalone sci-fi horror/mystery movies, sort of a cosmic horror Doctor Who, or "James Bond wot fights the alien menace". They're all Hammer productions, the first two being pretty early on black-and-white affairs, where the third was made some 9 years after the second, starring a different cast, with different writers/director, and feels much more "Hammery" than the first entries to the series.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Well this is just sad . . . .

Mel Brooks: Today's social climate too "politically correct" for Blazing Saddles' comedy

I want to write 1000 words about this, but I don't even know where to begin. I know Brooks is very elderly now, and elderly folks are famous for being out-of-touch with social issues, but this is essentially him feeding into to every wrongheaded argument moronic racists have been using since forever. Blazing Saddles wasn't funny because lots of evil white bigots said "n*****" a lot and made fun of Black folks, it was funny because the evil white bigots got their just desserts at the hands of the cool Black sheriff, his libertine Jewish friend, and his white love interest.

*sigh*

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

Mel Brooks: Today's social climate too "politically correct" for Blazing Saddles' comedy

I want to write 1000 words about this, but I don't even know where to begin. I know Brooks is very elderly now, and elderly folks are famous for being out-of-touch with social issues, but this is essentially him feeding into to every wrongheaded argument moronic racists have been using since forever. Blazing Saddles wasn't funny because lots of evil white bigots said "n*****" a lot and made fun of Black folks, it was funny because the evil white bigots got their just desserts at the hands of the cool Black sheriff, his libertine Jewish friend, and his white love interest.

*sigh*

I don't get how today's social climate is too politically correct for Blazing Saddles' comedy when Michael Bay can continue to use racist comedy with a vastly higher budget than Mel Brooks could ever dream of.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    The only way Blazing Saddles couldn't be made today would be because of the backlash from butthurt White people who can't believe you'd suggest something like that since some of their best friends are Black

I mean, fuck, Get Out was made just this year.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Butthurt?

Really?

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    @Astaereth

Prey (2016), a dutch (yes, I like to share the pain with the rest of the world) horror movie about an escaped man-eating lion. It's Dick Maas, so it's terrible and cheap looking.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Butthurt?

Really?

Yeah, it's when people overreact to something and complain in that achey kind of way

you know

like they have hurt butts

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    There are further implications than that, which is why I said something, most of which are sexual in nature, that either cast aspersions on enjoying something or are implying violation of some kind.

Don't be obtuse.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017

*sigh*

'Blazing Saddles' could totally get made today. The internet would just be a bonfire of outrage over it.

'Blazing Saddles', if made for the very first time today by a time-traveling young Mel Brooks and his cast of time-traveling actors, would've been decried from the social media heavens and the subject of a thousand thinkpieces before it ever released. A movie about a slave becoming a sheriff? And its a comedy? Written and directed by a white man?! And the white people in it are all kinda dumb and very racist?! Social media would be agog with righteous indignation from every side.

It's not political correctness that'd derail that hypothetical 'Blazing Saddles'; it'd be the endless self-serious screaming from every angle that would doom it maybe before it even begins filming.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular

*sigh*

'Blazing Saddles' could totally get made today. The internet would just be a bonfire of outrage over it.

'Blazing Saddles', if made for the very first time today by a time-traveling young Mel Brooks and his cast of time-traveling actors, would've been decried from the social media heavens and the subject of a thousand thinkpieces before it ever released. A movie about a slave becoming a sheriff? And its a comedy? Written and directed by a white man?! And the white people in it are all kinda dumb and very racist?! Social media would be agog with righteous indignation from every side.

It's not political correctness that'd derail that hypothetical 'Blazing Saddles'; it'd be the endless self-serious screaming from every angle that would doom it maybe before it even begins filming.
    Bro the movie would be fine. Adam Sandler literally made a movie so racist, the Native Americans on set walked off in protest, and nobody gave a shit. The movie wasn't "doomed." It became the most popular movie in the history of Netflix.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Note that Isle of Dogs trailer was accused of white washing. How much subtleness Blazing Saddles would be treated with?

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Most of Blazing Saddles would probably be fine, since the characters in it are actual characters and not stereotypes and the bigoted white assholes are treated like bigoted white assholes.

The Sioux Nation bit with Mel Brooks in war paint speaking Yiddish... uh, that might be a bit more of a problem.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    There are further implications than that, which is why I said something, most of which are sexual in nature, that either cast aspersions on enjoying something or are implying violation of some kind.

Don't be obtuse.

I would say this is an example of why it couldn't be made today. Every word or saying is over analyzed to find some reason to complain.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Key and Peele could probably make Blazing Saddles today, but Mel Brooks and Gene Wilder couldn't.

It's not about making a racist movie; it's about making a movie that makes fun of racism when you're the majority race and expecting it to be well received by the people you care about.

A comedy about something horrible must come from a place of understanding, and we do not trust people who are of the majority demographic to understand.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Disagree, funny can come from anywhere but Rebel Wilson and Miles Teller

• Options
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

Don't be obtuse.

I would say this is an example of why it couldn't be made today. Every word or saying is over analyzed to find some reason to complain.

Yo, I literally gave distinct reasons why I dislike that phrase. In this case, butthurt is being used as a pejorative, and not even in a joking manner.

You're not even defending a joke, you're defending an insult.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I thought it was a reference to spanking (as a corporal punishment, not as an enjoyed activity). I guess there is the implication that spanking isn't a big deal and the person crying about it is just being a "whiny baby", which is an unpleasant basis to start from.

I wonder what a good synonym would be. It's good to think about why we use words we do and where they come from. Plus language is fun! It's interesting looking up this stuff.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Is that he origin of that phrase?

I always thought 'butthurt' just meant that a person was acting like they just got kicked in the ass, and they were 'sore' about it.

Learn something ever day!

• Options
    I have never thought of butt hurt as an anal sex reference.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw0z9kK7ssQ

I did not realize it took until June to get a classy Blu-Ray release. For shame, Warner Brothers.

• Options
    FroThulhu wrote: »

I always thought 'butthurt' just meant that a person was acting like they just got kicked in the ass, and they were 'sore' about it.

It isn't. There is no known/clear origin to the term. I would hazard that the majority of people using the term never even remotely consider a sexual implication to it. I can guarantee that Atomika didn't mean it in that way at all.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »

I was under the assumption above.

As someone who just started doing squats again, I can identify with the phrase.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    The English language would be a lot simpler if we eliminated all the words co-opted as sexual innuendo

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    I have never thought of butt hurt as an anal sex reference.

Even if it were, it's not like anal sex is limited to a small population.

• Options
    In my high school growing up, it was always used, without fail, as a dog at gay men and how they were perceived to be overly emotional and effete, which is why I still take umbrage with it.

For the record, I'm not like, mad or incredulous or anything and I'm not calling for a change in language or tone, just explaining why I dislike the phrase as an insult.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I'm not even certain what Brooks is trying to say in that article. I would think that a movie that dumps on racist would be very well received by the PC crowd. Also, "Politically Correct" is one of those loaded terms that means differ r nt things to different people. Maybe he mean a studio wouldn't make it?

@TychoCelchuuu That's not a good example because racism against Native Americans is wayyyyy down the totem pole compared to racism against African Americans. It's shitty, but that's the way it is.

Nobeard on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    The English language would be a lot simpler if we eliminated all the words co-opted as sexual innuendo

Well, it would shrink the dictionary down to a leaflet and make it easier to distribute.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    I'm not even certain what Brooks is trying to say in that article. I would think that a movie that dumps on racist would be very well received by the PC crowd. Also, "Politically Correct" is one of those loaded terms that means differ r nt things to different people. Maybe he mean a studio wouldn't make it?

TychoCelchuuu That's not a good example because racism against Native Americans is wayyyyy down the totem pole compared to racism against African Americans. It's shitty, but that's the way it is.

See: the usage of that phrase in this sentence.

Like, not trying to call you out or make you feel bad, but it's a good example of how ingrained some things are in our lexicons.

This discussion has been closed.