Options

[Movies]: Watch the Final Cut version. Paddington still better.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Plus the bottom of the totem pole is actually an esteemed position, serving as the foundation for the rest*

*Things I learned on my trip to Ketchikan

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    I don't know how anyone here can come to the conclusion that Mel isn't right on this point.

The forum blew up in the Marvel thread over the Iron Fist casting choice.
    Django Unchained was declared racist in reviews over its liberal use of the n word.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Nobeard wrote: »
    I'm not even certain what Brooks is trying to say in that article. I would think that a movie that dumps on racist would be very well received by the PC crowd. Also, "Politically Correct" is one of those loaded terms that means differ r nt things to different people. Maybe he mean a studio wouldn't make it?

TychoCelchuuu That's not a good example because racism against Native Americans is wayyyyy down the totem pole compared to racism against African Americans. It's shitty, but that's the way it is.

See: the usage of that phrase in this sentence.

Like, not trying to call you out or make you feel bad, but it's a good example of how ingrained some things are in our lexicons.

But I use the term the correct way, everyone who uses it differently is it wrong!

Seriously, you make a good point. To me, PC means it's not OK to be publicly racist or sexist. It's OK to be vulgar or offensive. I think Brooks is using the term as meaning you can't be offensive period.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    And yet Iron Fist and Django Unchained both got made so I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    I don't know how anyone here can come to the conclusion that Mel isn't right on this point.

Django Unchained was declared racist in reviews over its liberal use of the n word.

Is the Django thing an opinion that was widely held or one that impacted profits?

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I'm not even certain what Brooks is trying to say in that article. I would think that a movie that dumps on racist would be very well received by the PC crowd. Also, "Politically Correct" is one of those loaded terms that means differ r nt things to different people. Maybe he mean a studio wouldn't make it?

TychoCelchuuu That's not a good example because racism against Native Americans is wayyyyy down the totem pole compared to racism against African Americans. It's shitty, but that's the way it is.

Like, not trying to call you out or make you feel bad, but it's a good example of how ingrained some things are in our lexicons.

Also I don't think we should do comparative suffering for two historically oppressed people? Natives today still feel racism, rape of Native Americans is higher than whites, and many are still stuck in the shitty reservations our government gave them.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    If "it couldn't get made today" should be taken to mean "it couldn't get made today without being really controversial," then sure, that's probably true. But it was also true when Blazing Saddles came out in '74.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Is there a reason he didn't use The Producers as the example of one of his comedies that couldn't get remade because of the pc police

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

People complained about the use of the n-word in Blazing Saddles so it sounds exactly the same as back then?

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Is there a reason he didn't use The Producers as the example of one of his comedies that couldn't get remade because of the pc police

Probably because they remade it fairly recently.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

Probably because they remade it fairly recently.

No that can't be right the pc police would never let a movie touching on such a controversial topic get made you know how it is these days

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Do you think Django would have been made if it was a new director?

Netflix is working outside of media market, they are already outliers.

That they got made is more credit to the resolve of their makers than the lack of social croticism of the works.

The racism bit in Django as brought up in almost every interview I've seen in promotion of the movie.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    Plus the bottom of the totem pole is actually an esteemed position, serving as the foundation for the rest*

*Things I learned on my trip to Ketchikan

As far as i'm aware (as a very white person) there's actually no universal meaning for position on them. It could be different between individual Native American tribes or even between individual totem poles. It's an external perspective being pushed onto a thing regardless of the original meaning or intent, combined with it mashing together a very wide array of disparate cultures and traditions into one catch-all stereotype.

So business as usual re: North American countries and their Native populations.

• Options
    Kadoken wrote: »

Also I don't think we should do comparative suffering for two historically oppressed people? Natives today still feel racism, rape of Native Americans is higher than whites, and many are still stuck in the shitty reservations our government gave them.

I took that to mean in regards to the level of attention that is given to each issue within the broader public consciousness, not a comparison of the things that have been done to these groups throughout history and continuing today.

• Options

That they got made is more credit to the resolve of their makers than the lack of social croticism of the works.

The racism bit in Django as brought up in almost every interview I've seen in promotion of the movie.

Do you think Blazing Saddles would have been released with the n-word if Mel Brooks hadn't gotten lucky with a contract that gave him final say over the film's contents? Warner Bros. executives wanted him to remove the n-word from the film.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I will redact the word "butthurt" if we can stop talking about it

jesu marimba

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

when you say interview you've seen in promotion of the view? You mean, actual interviews promoting the movie? where tarantino gets a fair amount of say about the subject.

That seems like they weren't too worried about it impacting ticket sales. Seems like it was a thing they thought might have needed a little care,but it was a thing that could be managed. Which they did successfully.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »

Do you think Blazing Saddles would have been released with the n-word if Mel Brooks hadn't gotten lucky with a contract that gave him final say over the film's contents? Warner Bros. executives wanted him to remove the n-word from the film.

I think you're helping my argument. Mel would not have gotten a contract written like that today

• Options
    Sorry, I just find language to be fascinating and interesting to think about. Why we use the words we do and where they come from.
    TexiKen wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw0z9kK7ssQ

I did not realize it took until June to get a classy Blu-Ray release. For shame, Warner Brothers.

Shit, I need to watch this movie.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    In my high school growing up, it was always used, without fail, as a dog at gay men and how they were perceived to be overly emotional and effete, which is why I still take umbrage with it.

For the record, I'm not like, mad or incredulous or anything and I'm not calling for a change in language or tone, just explaining why I dislike the phrase as an insult.

Here is the thing, I didn't go to your high school and neither probably did anyone else in this thread. Most of us probably know the word to mean "falling on your ass and blaming the world for the hurt feeling in your butt" that it originated from(there are probably other origins, but that is the most common one).

Yet your first reaction
    Butthurt?

Really?

didn't explain why you thought the word was offensive or your own personal history with it. The post by its brevity paints butthurt as a very offensive term that demands an apology/retraction.

You didn't consider that your personal experience was not universal, yet implicitly demanded that it that should be the default. You forced the rest of us to try to accommodate your worldview in order to find out what your problem was. Only after the rest of the thread pushed back did you explain yourself.

You are the reason Blazing Saddles couldn't be made today.

Because who has the time to write post like this to every aggrieved reaction post out there?

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    In my high school growing up, it was always used, without fail, as a dog at gay men and how they were perceived to be overly emotional and effete, which is why I still take umbrage with it.

For the record, I'm not like, mad or incredulous or anything and I'm not calling for a change in language or tone, just explaining why I dislike the phrase as an insult.

Here is the thing, I didn't go to your high school and neither probably did anyone else in this thread. Most of us probably know the word to mean "falling on your ass and blaming the world for the hurt feeling in your butt" that it originated from(there are probably other origins, but that is the most common one).

Yet your first reaction
    Butthurt?

Really?

didn't explain why you thought the word was offensive or your own personal history with it. The post by its brevity paints butthurt as a very offensive term that demands an apology/retraction.

You didn't consider that your personal experience was not universal, yet implicitly demanded that it that should be the default. You forced the rest of us to try to accommodate your worldview in order to find out what your problem was. Only after the rest of the thread pushed back did you explain yourself.

Because who has the time to write post like this to every aggrieved reaction post out there?

You had me until there.

Cram it.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »

I think you're helping my argument. Mel would not have gotten a contract written like that today

For reasons that have nothing to do with potential social criticism or political correctness issues.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    The idea that controversial movies don't get made today is absurd.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Astaereth wrote: »

for instance, maybe a movie about teenage vegan cannibals

• Options

Django wasn't a comedy, though it had comedic elements. This is less me being a genre snob than comparing it to a movie that ended with a pie fight gatecrashing the entire studio lot

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

How does that even work?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Blazing Saddles wouldn't be made today because no film would be made outside of the era it was made in. Just like Die Hard wouldn't be made today, or The Wizard of Oz, or 12 Angry Men, or Casablanca. Not in their exact forms, though I would like to think that their creators would make films of equal quality regardless of the specific content. Art evolves based on the era it is made in and what preceded it.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Well you can't prove a negative, so the point is moot.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Yet your first reaction
    Butthurt?

Really?

You had me until there.

Cram it.

The height of irony.

I would say the same. I think these days it's actually more common to see things that are controversial in tone and ideas across all media.

The US had a pretty firm stranglehold on "morality" as recently as the 90s. We still have that today, which is why so many network shows seem sterile and manicured compared to shows on HBO and Netflix.

In the 1990s, Get Out would probably not have gotten made at all.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

How does that even work?

They're teenage mutant vegan radishes.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

How does that even work?

Well, when you're vegan all your life, that first taste of meat is pretty good...

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    you....you just eat hair and nails I guess?

• Options
    I will freely admit Hollywood / film making has more resistance to caving to political correctness.

I think the larger impacts have been in news and publications, but that's outside the scope of the thread.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Mother!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpICoc65uh0

The movie this kind of reminds me of is David Lynch's Eraserhead. They're both arty horror movies that aren't afraid to be baffling and alienating. They both involve a newborn and parenthood. They're both the sort of movies where people say "some people will love it and some people will hate it!" even though that's true of literally every single film...

But Eraserhead is a timeless masterpiece, and I wouldn't say the same for Mother! It's intense and well made and everything, but it strikes me as nothing more than an interesting curiosity. I think the difference is that Eraserhead has a very universal theme - the fear and anxiety of parenthood - and Mother! doesn't.

The title "Mother!" may make the film sound like it's about motherhood, but if I had to boil the movie down to a single theme, I'd say the movie is about the psychic pain of being (the spouse of) a world famous writer or creator. And I can see how the movie's theme would be very interesting to a famous, oscar-nominated filmmaker like Aronofsky, but I'm not sure how much this movie has to say to the rest of us.

Addendum: After the movie I overhead a snobby dude talk about how Mother! wasn't popular because people couldn't handle it and didn't want to think and would rather waste time with Marvel movies. And boy I don't like Marvel movies very much but I also don't want to be that guy, so from now on, I will no longer make any snidely dismissive comments about Marvel films
    right after this one

Marvel movies suck!

• Options
    I think the high minded optimistic tone in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner couldn't be filmed today

• Options
    I don't know if I'm going to see mother!

I don't do crazy parent/child stuff these days

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Just saw Kingsman: The Golden Circle. What a worthless piece of shit. This is the worst movie I've seen since May 19th of this year (which is when I watched Blank Check - long story). The ending fight was pretty good and I'll watch Channing Tatum, Mark Strong, and Colin Firth in any goddamn thing, but aside from that it had basically no redeeming qualities. It had basically zero funny jokes, the villains were all boring, the plot had no surprises, most of what was interesting about the first movie disappeared, and almost nothing interesting was added. All in all, a big disappointment except that my expectations were pretty low going in. I was holding out hope that they recaptured the magic of the first film, but I think that was a fluke and I wonder how long we're going to have to wait for a Mark Millar thing not to be shit. So far he's like, 2 for 8 - Logan is a masterpiece and the first Kingsman is pretty great, but aside from that I haven't liked any movies his comics have become.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I don't know if I'm going to see mother!

I don't do crazy parent/child stuff these days

just don't seriously it's pretentious art school trash with middling narrative and ham-fisted suggestive imagery that would only be considered deep by someone who never got out of a wading pool.

if you want to see graphic visuals and cinematography go for it. if you want a movie just save your time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    This is the line below which we are not going to discuss etymology or butthurtness or anything else that does not directly apply to film.

Discussion of political correctness in film is also on shaky ground, so be warned.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    My phone is saying The Little Hours is up for rental on Youtube and Google Play. If foul mouthed, horny medieval nuns trying to get in Dave Franco's pants sounds like a good time this is the movie for you.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.