Options

[Movies]: Watch the Final Cut version. Paddington still better.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    They should have just got Timothy Elephant for the role then

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    They should have just got Timothy Elephant for the role then

Is this a Bojack joke?

if not it should be

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Tomithy Elephant

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Timoythy Elyphant

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Play it straight. Timothy Elephant as a straight up human and everyone else is confused as to what's going on.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    In seriousness though, how cool is it to get born with a name like Timothy Olyphant?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular

Man, that was really annoying, and five times longer than it needed to be for an introduction.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    jimb213 wrote: »

Man, that was really annoying, and five times longer than it needed to be for an introduction.

The Youtube video or the movie?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    jimb213 wrote: »

It's not an introduction so much as him explaining that one, Really That Bad is going to be a one off; and two, what exactly it took to make him feel like it was necessary in the first place.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    Eh, still annoying. I got tired of the no punctuation fast-talking complex sentence structure schtick a while ago.

Anyways, I just got this lovely email from moviepass
    Hi Jim,
    Thanks for subscribing to MoviePass! Your personalized card has been ordered and should arrive in about 5 business days. Once your card arrives, log in to the MoviePass app and activate your card. You‘ll then be ready to check in at the theater and start seeing the movies you want. It’s that simple! If you've already received your card in the mail, feel free to disregard this email.

Thank you so much for your patience and support. We can’t wait to go to the movies with you!

Sincerely,
    The MoviePass Team
    PS - Have any questions while you wait? Check out our FAQ's here.

I ordered it on the 17th. Of August.

• Options
    Assassin's Creed (HBO) was a bad movie that felt like it was plucked from 2001. Takes itself way too seriously for a movie about using muh DNA to trigger memories of turd sandwiches fighting giant douches.

Granted I haven't played any of the games but I know the general idea of ancestry to unlock something something, which allowed me to be a relative blank slate to judge the movie on the merits of being a movie, not a franchise. And from the odd as hell beginning of kid Magneto to him being "killed" and such a weak attempt to slow drip information in the first thirty minutes with a laughable through-line of being about getting rid of violence with something that is essentially the anti-life equation from DC Comics, I'm already looking for the exit. And it just never gets better from there on out.

A big problem I had was, when doing the flashbacks, the movie itself doesn't keep the perspective on Magneto, the guy doing this time travel. You can't cut away to show assassin helper doing her thing on the wagon chase 10 meters ahead because it simply isn't feasible if these are supposed to be an individual's memories. Plus it's all rather bland stuff, with the present day drab concrete setting of the building and the brown filter on the past, with dust errywhere, it all has that "take me seriously" motif about it that only the most emo among us can appreciate. I care about no one in the film because there's no one to care for even as they say the most generic things trying to sound so serious ("it's my life's work." / "it's my life."). Plus, when actually having to keep things intact for historical reasons because of real life figures, the character actions become flat out silly.

Fassbender is phoning it in like it's just a contract movie, Alfred does nothing but stare quietly and his daughter Talia is a bland character who simply is there to act surprised when exposition needs to be told to us or that what we're seeing is amazing because it's important being drift compatible and reaching super saiyan levels. And Omar's screentime is very Little (lolz nailed it). If we were treated to innovative or at least consistent action scenes there would be something to get from the film, yet it's all so meh that it's more like a lesser Lionsgate movie than something from Fox. Writing this out I realize the fault of the movie is trying to be a drama more than an action movie, and that is ultimately it's undoing because it fails at both.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Now you're revealing spoilers via character names in place of actor names? You've gone too far, Tex.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The big chase sequence in Assassin's Creed was impressive.

• Options
    Hell the movie didn't even spoil anything for the audience who watched it, I have not gone far enough!

I. Frankenstein was a better movie. There. Now I might have gone too far.

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Hey guys, looking for a weird assortment of movie recommendations. Basically anything featuring:

- Fantasy/supernatural elements in a modern setting
    - "90s cool" (black trenchcoats and attitudes)
    - Cyberpunk elements
    - Cool action scenes

Essentially, if you had to build a Shadowrun type movie out of pieces of other movies. I'm pretty forgiving on plot if there are cool visuals and people impractically wielding katanas.

So far:
    Blade 1 and 2 (I hear the 3rd is garbage so I'm not bothering, but my god the first two were perfect)
    Underworld (are any of them worth anything past the first one?)
    The Matrix (you can't talk about late 90s cool without this)
    Johnny Mnemonic (lol)
    The Crow
    Blade Runner
    Constantine

Wiki tells me Dark City might have some of what I'm looking for - y/n?

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Dark City would sort of count

Strange Days would fit

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Dark City is everything except the cyberpunk, because it leans more towards noir in terms of tech.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Hell the movie didn't even spoil anything for the audience who watched it, I have not gone far enough!

that movie has a weird place in my heart because I lived in a neighborhood where there was a billboard for it right around the corner for months.

that's my whole story. it was just like this specter of an awful movie that i knew i'd never watch.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Dark City would sort of count

Strange Days would fit

Seconding both of those

And thirding Strange Days because I fucking love Strange Days.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    @Reznik You'd probably like Night Watch.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0403358/

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Astaereth wrote: »

I really wanted to like that movie.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

that movie has a weird place in my heart because I lived in a neighborhood where there was a billboard for it right around the corner for months.

that's my whole story. it was just like this specter of an awful movie that i knew i'd never watch.

This is the only reason I care about I, Frankenstein. The Spanish-language title.

xBCQAow.jpg

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Poor Aaron Eckhart. He deserved better.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I enjoyed Kingsmen: The Golden Circle quite a lot. Possibly even more than the first. Loved what they did with the villain, loved the Statesmen. Just loved it.

As for the President's plan, here's the deal:
    He wanted to appear as if he was taking the deal, because there are a lot of people out there with loved ones on drugs and he didn't want to be known as the guy who killed them all. But he also thinks there's a lot more bad people than good who will be affected, so he's fine with letting them die.

It's easy for him to write them off as "junkies", something less than human. Sadly it's not an uncommon view in the US, which is why you end up with situations like Sherriffs refusing to let their deputies carry lifesaving anti-overdose kits.

Also: Looooved the bagpipe rendition of Take Me Home Country Roads at the beginning.

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    I, Frankenstein started off decent for the first 20 minutes, establishing the world and the lore of gargoyles vs vampire demons and a pretty good first group fight scene.

.....and then it just falls apart and creates plot sinkholes in its wake.

But hell at least it has those 20 minutes to hang its hat on compared to Assassin's Creed.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »
    Hey guys, looking for a weird assortment of movie recommendations. Basically anything featuring:

- Cyberpunk elements
    - Cool action scenes

Essentially, if you had to build a Shadowrun type movie out of pieces of other movies. I'm pretty forgiving on plot if there are cool visuals and people impractically wielding katanas.

So far:
    Blade 1 and 2 (I hear the 3rd is garbage so I'm not bothering, but my god the first two were perfect)
    Johnny Mnemonic (lol)
    The Crow
    Blade Runner
    Constantine

Hardware
    Cyber city Oedo 808
    Hackers
    Fifth Element
    12 Monkeys
    Event Horizon

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

This is the only reason I care about I, Frankenstein. The Spanish-language title.

xBCQAow.jpg

I love this series
    yo-robot.jpg

• Options
    I, Frankenstein started off decent for the first 20 minutes, establishing the world and the lore of gargoyles vs vampire demons and a pretty good first group fight scene.

.....and then it just falls apart and creates plot sinkholes in its wake.

But hell at least it has those 20 minutes to hang its hat on compared to Assassin's Creed.

i can't understand how anyone would think the assassin's creed movie would be good when the games are like taking an ice pick to the part of your brain that appreciates fun and engaging story lines and replacing that with pushing through crowds doing flips and lol Nostradamus.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Bill Nighy is in I, Frankenstein which I believe was his fifty millionth portrayal of some sort of super Dracula or reverse werewolf king or the devil himself

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Bill Nighy is in I, Frankenstein which I believe was his fifty millionth portrayal of some sort of super Dracula or reverse werewolf king or the devil himself

In all his films, he merely portrays one of the infinite possible Slartibartfasts in the multiverse.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    @Astaereth

For killtoberfest how about some Zombie: House of 1000 Corpses (which is kind of shit) andThe Devils Rejects(which is actually kind of awesome)

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Uggggggh

Fuck Rob Zombie, man

I rejected The Devil's Rejects, and I only got about 400, 450 corpses into the House

Take one part "rated-R haunted house aesthetic," one part "I don't have any original ideas so I'm just gonna remix old horror movies I enjoy for the wrong reasons," two parts "cruelty because it's funny," add a layer of pointless grime over everything and set to shitty music for 120 minutes

Serves any audience member who is or should be on a government list

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Did he?

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

I liked enough about Night Watch to be interested in what Bekmambetov did after that. Until he actually made more movies, but hey.

Night Watch is one where the book is much, much better than the film though. Even more so with Day Watch.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Did he?

Thank you for smoking and dark knight

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

As someone who hasn't seen I. Frankenstein, I don't think you went too far.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Uggggggh

Fuck Rob Zombie, man

I rejected The Devil's Rejects, and I only got about 400, 450 corpses into the House

Take one part "rated-R haunted house aesthetic," one part "I don't have any original ideas so I'm just gonna remix old horror movies I enjoy for the wrong reasons," two parts "cruelty because it's funny," add a layer of pointless grime over everything and set to shitty music for 120 minutes

his movies are kinda like his music?

his Halloween was especially bad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Uggggggh

Fuck Rob Zombie, man

his movies are kinda like his music?

his Halloween was especially bad.

Rob Zombie movies are interesting, in that I'm in no way interested in watching them, ever, even though many of their fans have taste in film that overlaps my own.

But, in this case, it seems like the movies kind of miss the point of the films they supposedly homage or pastiche. Or even just the place the originals occupy in film canon.

Like, the filthy grindhouse horror and slasher flicks that 1000 Corpses and Rejects take after are accepted to be subversive and transgressive cinematic shitshows. Some of them were actually better crafted than their budgets and the era would generally indicate, but that's generally because the film makers were trying. But they're mostly just disgusting schlock served up on the heels of a very conservative era in western media.

Zombie's ouvre is kinda just north of a juggalo's idea of edgy and clever, and seems to largely appeal to the more unpleasant, grimier corners of a horror fan's psyche, while not really having anything particularly insightful to say about it between the grunts, screams, and not-actually-clever banter.

They remind me of my old band's drummer, who was a fan of Zombie's movies- a big, dumb violent idiot, with a head full of methamphetamine and a heart of bullshit.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »

- Cyberpunk elements
    - Cool action scenes

So far:
    Johnny Mnemonic (lol)
    The Crow
    Blade Runner
    Constantine

Freejack should be in there.
    The best that can be said for the Underworld movies is that they have Kate Beckinsale in tight leather. Whether that's enough to make them worth watching is up to you.
    Robocop gets you corporate dystopia action, but it's not very Shadowruny.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
This discussion has been closed.