Options

[Movies]: Watch the Final Cut version. Paddington still better.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Every October I attempt to watch and review 31 horror movies in 31 days, in a crazy endeavor I call Killtoberfest. Believe it or not, this year will be the 5th year in a row I have done this. Over the last four years, two things have happened: my reviews have gotten better (or at least longer), and it's become harder and harder to find good horror movies I haven't seen yet.

That's why I'm turning to you for suggestions! New, old, classic, obscure, comedic, English, foreign--if it's a movie and it's horror and it's good, I will consider watching and reviewing it this year. (If it's bad but worth watching, I might take that, too.)

Three things to keep in mind. First, I may have already reviewed your suggestion, so be sure to check it against this list of existing reviews. Second, every year I try to do an entire franchise in a row (thus far: Hellraiser, Scream, Nosferatu, and Paranormal Activity; this year I'm tackling the Exorcist franchise), but I try and avoid watching films from other franchises. So I'm probably not watching, say, Nightmare on Elm Street 4. Third, I'm planning on gradually reviewing every movie based on a Stephen King story over the next few years, so those are already on my radar.

Anyway! I have always had a tremendous appreciation for the movie thread's support over the years, and I thank you for that. So please, suggest away, and hopefully your suggestion will be one out of 31 in Killtoberfest 5: Five'll Get You Dead.

...how did you get over 265 without Powerful Gear emblems? I had to stop playing my Lock and start an alt this week because all my milestones were up and everything (everything) was decrypting at 265 and I thought I had to just wait until Tuesday.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    *edit* Not the Destiny thread in a completely different sub forum

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    I'm surprised Lego: Ninjago isn't being talked about more. I went to see it with my son and it's actually way better than it had any right to be.

A good blend of humor, action, and a well told story about forgiveness and acceptance. As someone who suffered severe Paternal abuse, it really struck home.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Roz wrote: »
    I'm surprised Lego: Ninjago isn't being talked about more. I went to see it with my son and it's actually way better than it had any right to be.

A good blend of humor, action, and a well told story about forgiveness and acceptance. As someone who suffered severe Paternal abuse, it really struck home.

Ninjago doesn't have a very large adult audience although it's a perfectly serviceable franchise.

Weirdly, a lot of nerds just see it as something for kids or as a cash grab.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Roz wrote: »

I'm hoping to take my son to see it in the next week or two. He enjoys pretty much any Lego show or movie, so I'm sure we'll have a good time regardless. I'm a bit more intrigued after reading your post than I was before though.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    How does Ninjago compare with the other Lego movies? Because the first two were "revelatory" and "really good" respectively, so I kind of have high hopes for this one.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    How does Ninjago compare with the other Lego movies? Because the first two were "revelatory" and "really good" respectively, so I kind of have high hopes for this one.

I have less than 0 interest in ninjago, and I still want to see it based on the trailer and track record

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular

It's hard for me to put the proper expectations on it compared to those. I wasn't in love with the first one nearly as much as everyone else. The second one I thought was very good and I was happy to take my son to see it. Out of the three, this is my personal favorite, though the message in this film resonates with me a lot more.

I don't think it's as structurally ambitious as the first film. It has some minor issues in that there aren't really arcs for a lot of the characters. It is a heavily father/son focused film and much of the payoff is directly related to that dynamic. In the last year I've seen so many films suggest that violence against people who've wronged you is not only correct - it should be embraced. And I hope I'm not really giving too much away by saying that this film rejects that idea.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    So Colossal was full of idiots top to bottom, but at least it ended mostly like it should have.
    Stay the fuck out of the playground, idiots.

Stay the fuck away from downtown or wherever, idiots.

She was pretty lucky it worked in reverse, and shouldn't have hesitated in case Mr. Hates His Life worked it out too, but at least got there in the end.

Tim got kind of fucked over in the power play, but was a bit of an ass.

Can't say I expected to go how it did at first, silly me.

Thumbs up overall despite the idiots.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    I think the high minded optimistic tone in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner couldn't be filmed today

Didn't they try to remake that with Bernie Mac and the races reversed, thus missing the entire point of the original?

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    I think the high minded optimistic tone in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner couldn't be filmed today

Didn't they try to remake that with Bernie Mac and the races reversed, thus missing the entire point of the original?
    They didn't just try, they in fact succeeded (the movie is called Guess Who). I don't know if you can say that it misses the point of the original if it wasn't trying to make the same point as the original. That's a bit like saying the archer missed the potato when they were aiming at the tomato.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    So Colossal was full of idiots top to bottom, but at least it ended mostly like it should have.
    Stay the fuck out of the playground, idiots.

Stay the fuck away from downtown or wherever, idiots.

She was pretty lucky it worked in reverse, and shouldn't have hesitated in case Mr. Hates His Life worked it out too, but at least got there in the end.

Tim got kind of fucked over in the power play, but was a bit of an ass.

Can't say I expected to go how it did at first, silly me.

Thumbs up overall despite the idiots.

Colossal was a brilliant movie about deeply flawed people who were either abusive or abusing in some capacity, and the catharsis of the ending sequence had me more hopeful than I thought the back half of the film would have allowed.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    I didn't find the Colossal folk to be terribly stupid.
    Anne had no idea what's going on at first. When she does, she has some fun with it before realizing she's hurting people. She then tries to apologize, and afterward stays away until douchehole drags her back in. At that point, she's powerless to stay away, because she sees no way around it.

Sudekeis isn't an idiot, then. He's an abusive asshole who knows exactly what he's doing.

It's structured the way it is to be an extended metaphor for substance abuse, and I think it does remarkably well at working as both allegory and narrative.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    In short: collosal was really fucking good (as was Ingrid goes west) and I wish Neon was better at getting their movies mass appeal.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

They didn't just try, they in fact succeeded (the movie is called Guess Who). I don't know if you can say that it misses the point of the original if it wasn't trying to make the same point as the original. That's a bit like saying the archer missed the potato when they were aiming at the tomato.

The Kutch was Sidney Poitiers for fuck sake.

• Options
    I stand by idiots categorically:
    She had no idea, until she does, then kills a few more people messing around. You don't have fun with that kind of thing. And yeah, substance abuse factors in, but see: idiots.

All Oscar's friends watch him do it.

Oscar, well, splitting hairs I guess. Abusive asshole kind of auto includes idiot in my book, just a even worse flavor.

But yes, it worked pretty well despite my observations.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I stand by idiots categorically:
    She had no idea, until she does, then kills a few more people messing around. You don't have fun with that kind of thing. And yeah, substance abuse factors in, but see: idiots.

All Oscar's friends watch him do it.

Oscar, well, splitting hairs I guess. Abusive asshole kind of auto includes idiot in my book, just a even worse flavor.

But yes, it worked pretty well despite my observations.

If you think being a substance abuser makes someone an idiot I genuinely feel sorry for you.

It really sounds like you missed the entire point of this movie. It's not about big monsters.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I think Xed was meaning it more in the sense of "drunk or not, they're still idiots."

Sadly, a lot of movies - (alleged) comedies in particular - require a certain amount of idiocy to make the plot happen. This is just the latest example.

(And let's be honest, there's a certain amount of truth-in-media there; it's not like we all always make the right choices. When we're put in the privileged position of being able to see, from outside with full knowledge, just how bad someone else's choices are, we tend to react very negatively... but I suspect in most cases, there's at least a bit of self-criticism/loathing involved as well. "How could I, I mean they, be so stupid? I hate that! Stop being so stupid, me you guys!")

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I mean it both ways.
    They're idiots with stuff relating to the monsters and in their lives. A double whammy.

It's my cross to bear, I guess.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Out of curiousity, what do you think the movie was about?

• Options
    Could we start using spoiler tags for the Colossal discussion? It's better for people who haven't seen it to go in as blindly as possible.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    What Colossal is about to me:
    People making poor choices and how they reacted to them. And a born asshole apparently.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Well. Ok then.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Killtoberfest update! Added to my shortlist so far:
    • House of Usher
    • House on Haunted Hill
    • Legend of Hell House
    • Arrebato
    • Night of the Demon (seen before but worth reviewing)
    • Pulse (I didn't go into this with the right expectations last time; I should try it again)
    • The Phantom Carriage
    • Possession (I have seen this before but might be worth reviewing; a crazy, crazy film)
    • Jigoku
    • Onibaba
    • The Devil Rides Out
    • Lovely Molly
    • The Devils (1971, original X rated cut)
    • Prince of Darkness
    • The Lure (2015)
    • The Devil's Candy
    • Cure
    • Housebound
    • The Old Dark House

Thanks for those to @DasUberEdward @Rchanen @Tenzytile @Rami @jungleroomx @TNTrooper @BloodySloth

(If anyone quotes this post, please strip out that line so the notifications don't go crazy)

--
    Ketar wrote: »
    Astaereth Do you use Shudder?

I don't but I probably should, at least for October. I'll look into it.
    Astaereth How have you not watched The Blob for killtoberfest yet?

I saw The Blog a long time ago. It's not super great? One of these years I'll do that and the remake for the reviews though (and because I haven't seen the remake).

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    The remake of The Blob is something else. It's like they wanted to make up for the relative visual lameness of their creature with enormous amounts of amazing late 80's practical gore effects.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Killtoberfest update! Added to my shortlist so far:
    • House of Usher
    • House on Haunted Hill
    • Legend of Hell House
    • Arrebato
    • Night of the Demon (seen before but worth reviewing)
    • Pulse (I didn't go into this with the right expectations last time; I should try it again)
    • The Phantom Carriage
    • Possession (I have seen this before but might be worth reviewing; a crazy, crazy film)
    • Jigoku
    • Onibaba
    • The Devil Rides Out
    • Lovely Molly
    • The Devils (1971, original X rated cut)
    • Prince of Darkness
    • The Lure (2015)
    • The Devil's Candy
    • Cure
    • Housebound
    • The Old Dark House

Thanks for those to Really Cool People

(If anyone quotes this post, please strip out that line so the notifications don't go crazy)

--
    Astaereth Do you use Shudder?

I don't but I probably should, at least for October. I'll look into it.
    Astaereth How have you not watched The Blob for killtoberfest yet?

I saw The Blog a long time ago. It's not super great? One of these years I'll do that and the remake for the reviews though (and because I haven't seen the remake).

Whoo! I can't wait. I've also been personally waiting until October to start scaring myself to sleep because i'm a horrible wuss with an overactive imagination but I also adore horror.

it's. . .a dumb set of traits to combine.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    @Astaereth If you search online there's a groupon for a 30 day free trial of Shudder. If you go for it, pencil in Found Footage 3D for the last week of the month. It debuts on Shudder on Oct 26th.

I saw it last year at the Bruce Campbell Horror Film Fest and it was great. By far the most talked about film at the festival (which also debuted I Am Not a Serial Killer and advance screened Don't Breathe, among others), and the organizers loved it enough that they created a jury prize just to give it more official recognition. It's a modern/meta take on found footage films with a surprising amount of humor. It also has a fair amount to say about, and humor at the expense of, the film industry itself that I think you would appreciate.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Oh, btw, @Tenzytile which Daughters of Darkness did you mean? There's like four movies with that title.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    The lesbian vampire one with Delphine Seyrig. Even if Euro-horror ain't your bag, she's so much fun to watch and I remember being impressed by the look of it.

• Options

I ended up taking my son to see it today. It isn't nearly on the level of the other Lego films, imo. It's not bad - I'd still call it above average for a kids movie - but it is largely very forgettable with an incredibly bland cast of supporting characters. I can't even recall the names of any characters beyond the main hero, his villain father, his ninja master uncle, and his mother. I'm not sure I'd remember the mother's name either if she wasn't wearing a name tag for most of her screentime. The other ninja heroes are just lightning guy, water girl, fire guy and so on in my mind. And that is almost the entire extent of their characterization. There are some good jokes here and there, and my 6 year old loved it, but I'm not eager to watch it again when it hits video or Netflix. The "Ultimate Weapon" led to a couple amusing moments, but mostly felt like a lame rehash of the Kragle from The Lego Movie.

It did have some nice lessons about ostracizing or bullying people because they're different, and what that can do to someone, but not enough to make me want to have my son rewatch it until I'm sure it has sunken in.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Could we start using spoiler tags for the Colossal discussion? It's better for people who haven't seen it to go in as blindly as possible.

Especially since the chat about it started with someone being happy that it's finally available where they are.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    I just saw Kingsman: The Golden Circle. I think as a spy movie it was pretty serviceable and I liked it a good bit, but I kind of wish I hadn't gone in knowing the original cut was supposedly nearly four hours long, because there was a lot of stuff that I noticed where I'm pretty sure they set up a scene that wasn't in the movie, and there were just too many sideplots put in to a single movie. Some random musings, nitpicks, etc.
    • Harry's amnesia, Eggsy's relationship troubles with Tilde, the Ex-girlfriend of the former Kingsman recruit, the over-long setup for a Golden Circle recruit who is killed in his very next scene, Elton John, and the presidential sideplot was too much.
    • Tilde going "you know what saving the world means" was a really bad callback to the "fuck me in the arse" scene from the original. However, Elton John promising Henry backstage passes if he saves the world was an amazing callback to the exact same thing.
    • Why the fuck did the random bar yokels need to be there and act belligerent just to set up a remake of the Manner's Maketh Man scene to show Henry lacking hand eye coordination? It felt completely arbitrary, or like they cut a scene of those yokels being shitty to Eggsy in the first bar scene.
    • What was Channing Tatum's purpose in the movie? There was more time spent looking at his frozen bulge than there was of him doing anything.
    • Why did they have to write in the mucus membrane tracker, and why did they bother planting it as a three-second fingering if they were going to make "Eggsy must sleep with this woman for relationship drama" a thing? It's a weird half-measure.
    • They showed them carrying skis twice for the Italy scene, and focused on the Skis in another shot while they were falling in the cable car, but didn't have a ski chase or use them at all. Probably a cut scene.
    • The minesweeper was likewise completely useless to set up; they detected zero mines on screen and still stepped on one. Probably a cut/shortened scene. This is egregious given they set up the mines twice in Poppy Village scenes; the audience already knew about the mines so it wouldn't have felt cheap for them to trigger one unknowingly, and the rush to get there before they had full recon info would explain the lake of preparedness.
    • Also, why set up the lack of recon rather than another delay for Eggsy to ignore, if the lack of recon wasn't going to matter?
    • The Singaporean guy was almost certainly a cut sideplot/additional setpiece.
    • Eggsy being a complete dick to Statesmen seemed vaguely out of place.
    • "Whiskey was actually a bad guy" was really obvious, but especially so when he didn't rescue Eggsy/Henry during the part of the fight where both of them were losing; after that there was no way he could show up on screen without being there to ruin things.
    • I probably missed something, but it didn't feel very clear what the President's end goal was with putting all the victims in cages and pretending to negotiate with Poppy. Wouldn't not-negotiating with Poppy have had the same outcome?
    • The cages in the internment camps did not have solid floors and were stacked vertically on each other. Those people were all shitting and pissing on each other. I am pretty sure that thought only came to me because Eggsy swam through a sewer and got offered to piss on the Bad Girl (also, what is it with this franchise and offering mildly taboo sex acts to Eggsy? Will he get offered a footjob or ass to mouth in Kingsman 3?)
    • Eggsy's relationship sideplot felt half-baked, especially given he acted (from their perspective) completely deranged at the dinner party. Eggsy being fed the answers through his headset was a really nice touch though.
    • Maybe I misheard, but they mentioned Golden Circle members being not recognized facially, but then show the Golden Circle makeover and don't have any facial alterations (while showing the rest). Kind of odd.
    • The pink makeover bot felt like it got too little screentime in the climactic fight sequence. It was clearly being set up to be a Big Heavy Enemy with the semi-auto grenade launcher but got taken out immediately to show that Henry has full hand-eye coordination again.

And with all that I still did like the movie, but it definitely felt like it was in some nebulous zone where it was like 1.66... films and they decided to cut it down to one long film rather than try to release it as two.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Wow, I didn't realize Kingsman 2 was two and a half hours long. It really didn't feel like it to me.

• Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Wow, I didn't realize Kingsman 2 was two and a half hours long. It really didn't feel like it to me.

It didn't really drag because they had a ton of movie to fit into that two and a half hours. So at least it justified it's length.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    @Astaereth

The Devil Rides Out is probably my favourite Hammer film*. Charles Grey is great as an Aleister Crowley knock-off. And Christopher Lee just stomps around being Christopher Lee. Awesome.

*Maybe tied with The Hound of the Baskervilles - stick that one on your list if you have room and haven't seen it.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Hammer's Hound of the Baskervilles remains the best treatment of that story ever made.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

I saw it this weekend and did not realize this at all until I read this post.

Geez.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Kingsmen 2 certainly wasn't shy about playing the greatest hits. If there was a scene in the original that you even vaguely enjoyed, be assured it will be referenced or redone in some manner. Like the first, the villain actually has a point, but she doesn't live up to Valentine, imo. The Statesmen amounted to a whole lot of nothing. It's a fun movie, but it isn't nearly as good.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Interesting to me that people seem to mostly think Kingsman 2 was lesser but still fun

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Kingsmen 2 certainly wasn't shy about playing the greatest hits. If there was a scene in the original that you even vaguely enjoyed, be assured it will be referenced or redone in some manner. Like the first, the villain actually has a point, but she doesn't live up to Valentine, imo. The Statesmen amounted to a whole lot of nothing. It's a fun movie, but it isn't nearly as good.
    My favorite scenes from the original, like Jackson's speech about Bond villains or Eggsy referencing My Fair Lady, got no callbacks! For people wondering why Tatum's role in the movie was strange, he had scheduling conflicts so they had to mostly write him out of the movie.

This discussion has been closed.